URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 161
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"JD - Mystify"

Posted by Iam_Xtreme on 09-08-05 at 02:47 PM
I must give kudos where they are due and say that JD did a great job with Mystify.

It was almost as if he simply fit right in the song. I do not like to watch JD but when I listen to his sound without watching his performance his voice seems to fit INXS.

Time will tell who INXS selects to front the band and even though we all have our favorites in the end they will pick who is best suited for them.

I said I would not listen to INXS if they selected JD to front their band but when it comes down to it I am huge INXS fan and I guess I will have to at least give whoever is selected (even JD) a fair chance.

Signature Created By: tribephyl

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: JD - Mystify"
Posted by ginger on 09-08-05 at 03:41 PM
I don't necessarily like him the best, but as one of the folks who actually owns an INXS CD or two, I agree. The band is too staid for someone as laid-back as Marty, no matter how compelling certain of his performances are. And MiG just screams Broadway Rock Show to me, which is a different animal. And Susie? Well, I'd have voted for her on American Idol, but I don't see her being the right fit for the band.

Nope, it should be JD. No matter what the editing gods decree.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-08-05 at 04:07 PM
Glad to hear someone say they would give their non-preference a chance instead of "I'm never going to listen to them again." Kudos.

Posted by CattyChat on 09-08-05 at 04:33 PM
I'm a huge INXS fan & own a few CDs & have been listening to them since this show started -- back in the day, my friends dubbed my anthem as "Suicide Blonde," so I have especially good memories with that tune -- but good times associated by all of INXS's back catalog.

I started out this thing with a few favorites (front & foremost J.D., with MiG & Ty my other major contenders) but over the weeks, in my eyes, J.D. left the others in the dust.

I truly believe that the best chance for an INXS comeback (which I would love, for old time's sake) would be with J.D. as their lead singer -- out of all the contestants, he is the only one who can do their back catalog justice (although I have yet to hear MiG sing INXS yet) and J.D. has the best stage presence over all the others (Marty is my second in this category). So, in an overall assessment J.D. has everything needed to light INXS fire again.

MiG, Marty, Suzie have their different strengths & weaknesses and are talented in their own right, but I don't think any of these 3 would give INXS what they need for a serious & real comeback.

Posted by Loree on 09-08-05 at 05:58 PM
At this point I am really starting to believe that JD might be the one INXS picks. I thought he was their choice for awhile. And then I started having my doubts. But lately I have been looking at the editing and watching things from a distance. And it just seems right. I am starting to follow the theory that INXS realized they wanted JD quite awhile ago. But they couldn't just let the audience know that. So with MB's editing they have thrown a few curves and made the audience doubt that INXS would ever want to take this guy on. They made him seem like a bad boy when often the editing didn't make sense. They seem to be hiding things about JD and creating drama. And nobody can deny they have made this the JD show. Every week something revolves around JD. And we are always shown his reaction to things. Or the other Rockers' reactions to him. JD is the story. Everyone that leaves gets asked about JD. If INXS doesn't pick him now they could lose alot of their publicity coverage they have wanted for their big comeback. The media just might follow JD rather than INXS when this is over. So it is a win/win for INXS and JD to stick together. INXS gets their Rocker. And JD gets his dream. There will be alot of press. And MB has edited another reality story arc to suit his purposes.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-09-05 at 02:28 PM
I agree, and not just because I love him. When you look at their comments to JD - they've never said "you're fighting too hard for your song" or "you should be nicer to others." THEY have never expressed any problem with his attitude.

They've never said, "I can't see your style fitting us." It's all been critiques about a particular part of a performance, until the not learning the song. I still don't understand why he didn't learn it. Hard to believe he blew it off. Hard to believe he thought he was supposed to come in cold, but that is plausible, I guess, that he thought it was a working session.

Anyway, it seemed they were always critiquing him more than criticizing.

I'm not so sure they made up their mind, though. Certainly a front-runner. And I can see MB still doing his editing regardless and telling INXS they can cut anyone but him until the final 3.

Posted by jpl68 on 09-09-05 at 04:37 PM
I seem to have finally found a group of people who are not for lack of a better word, . . . crazy.

Most of the other boards I have been on all rip or don't even mention J.D. while giving unapologetic praise to the likes of Jordis (now gone), Marty and Mig.

Marty is great, but frankly, he is not a fit for any form of INXS that has ever existed. Marty is like this mix between Curt Cobain and Tom Petty with a bit of Cheap Trick thrown in for good measure. I don't see INXS changing too much from what they have always done (as evident by some of their comments to singers saying "I can't see INXS ever doing that song"). As such, Marty is a big NO. However, I like Marty and liked his bubble gum grunge rock pretty chorus song "Trees". In fact I can see him and Navarro starting a band.

Mig. Way too much British Rock Star for me. Nice guy, o.k. voice and o.k. stage performer. Just can't see him as the lead singer of INXS. While his performaces on stage are entertaining - he does more than some who simply stand there and sing - I don't find him, for lack of a better word, "cool". Its more theatrical, which is what he has been doing. However, there are rumors that he is a plant and has already been given the job. God I hope not, because INXS is doomed if that is the case.

Suzie. I think she has a great voice and actually like the way she sings some of the INXS songs. However, the only way I can picture her in INXS is for them to abandon the back catalog and go a completely new and different direction. I think that woudl be a huge risk and I don't see it happeing.

J.D. Isn't it obvious? I mean really; and I am assuming here that INXS intends to stay close to home with what they have done in the past. The boards explode with he is cocky, arrogant, self centered, childish, a baby, a lone wolf, etc . . . . Yes, he is all of these, but also very driven and determined, very innovative, better at performing than he is at singing and of course the thing that Mig lacks, he is pretty damn "cool". So what does that make him, . . . oh yeah, the lead singer for a rock band. Exactly. I can not see anyone other than J.D. realistically winning, and unless the Mig is a plant rumors are true, Pretty Vegas will be the first single from the new INXS album.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-09-05 at 05:02 PM
Welcome!

Yeah, I've checked out other sites and found them pretty lame, immature, inarticulate.

MiG plant rumors are soooooooo not true. Look for that thread around here and it gets debunked pretty well.

Oh, and we ARE crazy - just in a different way.

Posted by CattyChat on 09-09-05 at 05:16 PM
>"J.D. Isn't it obvious?"

Some of us have thought this, since the beginning.

>"The boards explode with he is cocky, arrogant, self centered,
childish, a baby, a lone wolf, etc"

There are a select few of us that didn't buy into the editing. He may be cocky at times (don't we love that in our rock stars?) But as some of us have noted, there has never been any clips showing J.D. bashing another contestant (other than his generalization early on that he knows/loves/lives INXS while others are learning the songs -- and, as far as I have seen, a few of the contestants did forget words, verses or sang the wrong words, so it was obviously a true statement).

>"Yes, he is all of these, but also very driven and determined, very innovative, better at performing than he is at singing and
of course the thing that Mig lacks, he is pretty damn "cool". So what does that make him, . . . oh yeah, the lead singer for a rock band. Exactly."

We J.D. fans sure as heck think so!!

"Pretty Vegas will be the first single from the new INXS album."

May this premonition be true, because this is what I have been thinking since the collaboration clinic.

Welcome to the boards, JPL!!!!

Future J.D. groupie

Posted by Loree on 09-09-05 at 07:00 PM
>
>J.D. Isn't it obvious?
>I mean really; and I
>am assuming here that INXS
>intends to stay close to
>home with what they have
>done in the past.
>The boards explode with he
>is cocky, arrogant, self centered,
>childish, a baby, a lone
>wolf, etc . . .
>. Yes, he is
>all of these, but also
>very driven and determined, very
>innovative, better at performing than
>he is at singing and
>of course the thing that
>Mig lacks, he is pretty
>damn "cool". So what
>does that make him, .
>. . oh yeah, the
>lead singer for a rock
>band. Exactly. I
>can not see anyone other
>than J.D. realistically winning, and
>unless the Mig is a
>plant rumors are true, Pretty
>Vegas will be the first
>single from the new INXS
>album.

Welcome jpl68. I love JD. And some sites are not JD friendly. But on this site you can say what you do or don't like about any of the Rockers. They all have their good and bad points. I just don't bother defending JD. Why should I? I don't want him to change. I like him just the way he is. Is he c*cky at times? Yes. And who wants a RockStar that is sweet and nice? JD has that devilish little boy in him that I am attracted to. And I think he is the best match for INXS. Do they agree with me? Who knows? And I don't care what the anti-JD fans think either. JD has gotten more press out of this show than even INXS. So win or lose JD is going to be just fine after this show. He will get the break he has been waiting for.

Posted by jpl68 on 09-09-05 at 08:59 PM
I think he is the only match for INXS!! As for the little boy stuff and being attracted to him, well, that's not my gig . I like him because I think he is really really good. The others are good in their own way, but J.D. is good in an INXS way. I actually could envision him as the lead singer of the band. The others, to be honest, I can not even imagine it. Assuming the show is on the up, I think its a foregone conclusion that he wins, and it appears that everyone else on the show is bascially acknowledging that, i.e., Mig's comments on Wednesday. Who knows though, we will see. Got to go, think I'm going to go watch what should be INXS' first single, Pretty Vegas, on rockstar.msn.com.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 09-09-05 at 10:43 PM
JD and Marty are the only two that should even be considered. I don't believe they are considering Suzie at all so she should be next week. If they eliminate another MiG should be next, because he would be god awful as the lead singer of INXs. Then between JD and Marty. both singers offer INXs a modern edge. But JD is more attuned to INXs style of music. To it ciould be either one. You gotta think that between the two it could be chemistry with the band. I'd give a slight edge to JD, but Marty is also in this too.

Posted by jpl68 on 09-09-05 at 11:27 PM
I agree Marty or J.D. should win, although I really just don't see Marty as the lead singer. Marty would have to change the most to fit in with what INXS has been in the past. Although INXS will need to modernize a bit, I don't think, as is somewhat evident from some of there comments, that they will stray far from what they have done in the past. Marty would have to basically give up the grunge/punk style that fits him best to lead INXS. Frankly, I don't know why he would want to do that. He has gotten enough exposure out of this that I really think he will be able to form a band and put an album out. If the people on American Idol (Kelly Clarkson excluded, as I actually like her latest album and think she has made the jump from being simply a good singer to a pop star) can sell records I don't see why Marty will not be able too. Having said that, Marty has to tone down the facial expressions, some are a bit, to put it mildly, scary!

Posted by pumpkinqueen on 09-10-05 at 00:00 AM
i love INXS--and have for more years than i care to mention. i don't like to watch JD either (although i love his sneaky t-shirt--talk about a rockstar attitude!), but since the beginning i have had to admit that he is absolutely perfect for the job.

it's like he's channeling MH--and i mean that as the ultimate compliment--i just can't see any of the others fronting the band.

Posted by HardStar448 on 09-11-05 at 06:15 PM
I have been actually been listening to his Star 98.7 version for the last 2 weeks about 200 times and I never do that sort of thing.I like his version better than the INXS version
it's more bluesy or something... the timbre in his voice is amazing on this song.

This is what made me think he was going to front INXS his version of this song alone.

By the way, the first half of Never Tear Us Apart that he does with Suzie McNeil on the same show is excellent as well.

I mean the whole song is good but his part is very INXSY !