URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 160
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC - Pad Thai"

Posted by Snidget on 01-06-10 at 07:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-10 AT 07:46 PM (EST)

I learned how to make this recently so thought I would share. I'll also give some substitutions for some of the more unusual ingredients if you have a hard time finding them (or what the more unusual ingredient is that I don't use).

The amounts listed are for 4 servings, but I did it as a single person serving in the pictures.

Mark Bittman is the cookbook this comes from (both the vegetarian one and the world foods one)

I believe the way I make this would be gluten free and you can add proteins as you wish, I added some shrimp to mine. I would either grill the chicken, pork or beef first/separate then slice or you could slice them very thin and add to the stirfry step with the scallions and bean sprouts

12 ounces dried flat rice noodles 1/4 inch thick.*
5 Tablespoons peanut or other neutral oil like grapeseed or corn
3 eggs lightly beaten
4 cloves garlic minced
8 ounces extra firm tofu blotted dry and sliced (can be omitted if you can't face the fu)
2 scallions trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
1 cup bean sprouts**
2 tablespoons fish sauce***
2 teaspoons ketchup****
2 teaspoons sugar

Garnishes
1/4 cup chopped peanuts*****
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 chilies, preferably Thai seeded and sliced******
1 lime cut into wedges

*Some grocery stores around here only have the really thin rice noodles, they will work, but I like the wider noodles better. If you can't get rice noodles fettuccine will work (I have these in the ingredient picture as well as 2 examples of the wider noodles, one from an Asian grocery and one from a regular grocery)

**fresh mung bean sprouts are best, but you can use canned if you can't get the fresh ones. Sometimes I will sprout my own.

***If you don't eat fish or can't find fish sauce you can use soy sauce. My fish sauce is listed as gluten free, but that can be hard to find in a soy sauce (although La Choy usually is considered gluten free and I know some people with celiac who will use that brand)

****OK the real ingredient is tamarind paste. I haven't gone looking for it, but you may be able to find it in Asian or Mexican/Latin American groceries. I kinda like using the ketchup as it kinda makes an interesting historical full circle. The original ketchups were a fermented fish sauce from East Asia that picked up tomatoes as it went around the globe. It is sometimes used in Asia in sauces as it has that sweet/sour/salty quality they like. Tamarind tends to add the sour as well as some sweet depending on the ripeness used

*****You can use other nuts, I find cashews work really well

******Instead of the chilies in the garnish I add some Sriracha sauce. Sometimes I add it into the sauce or just put a bit on top as another garnish.

1. Put the rice noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Soak until softened, approximately 15 minutes. If you want to hold them longer drain and fill bowl with cold water.

2. Put 2 Tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. When hot add the eggs and scramble quickly (I usually just break the egg into the skillet) quickly at the beginning. You are going for a thin egg crepe, rather than a fluffy scrambled egg. Cook until set (I usually will flip it to finish it off) and then put on a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch strips.

3. Raise the heat to high or medium high and add the remaining oil. When the oil is hot add the garlic, tofu, scallions (protein if this is where you are going to cook it, other wise add in the next step) and 1/2 the bean sprouts. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to a plate.

4. Mix the ketchup, fish sauce and sugar in a small bowl and mix. Add the drained noodles egg strips and sauce into the pan and cook stirring occasionally until heated through (I would add cooked protein here if you cooked it separately). Once that is heated through add the stir fried veggie mixture, toss once or twice and transfer to a serving platter.

5. Top with peanuts, cilantro, remaining beansprouts and chilies. Serve with lime wedges (I usually just squeeze them right over the top once I have it on the plate) You can use as many or as few of the garnishes as you like as some people can't have nuts or have the wrong taste buds for cilantro. I think you could substitute other fresh herb for the cilantro.

ETA: Did this a couple of days early as I may be busy and figured early was better than late.

oops, no cream.

Bonus cream based recipe. Serve over grilled steak.
No amounts because it is however much I think I need for amount of steak I am serving.

Saute onions or mushrooms until caramelized.
Add cream and a Tablespoon or two of blue cheese crumbles to the pan
Cook until the cream is reduced by about half and the cheese is melted.

I haven't tried this over chicken, but I think it might be good over that, too.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Pad Thai"
Posted by CTgirl on 01-06-10 at 09:03 PM
Oh yum. I love Pad Thai and can't wait to make this. Mark Bittman's recipes in the New York Times are usually good.

Great pics too. It always helps to have a visual.

LOL about the cream. Just add lots of peanuts!

Snowfall by Tribe

Posted by samboohoo on 01-06-10 at 09:13 PM
This is going to take me WAY out of my comfort zone. I will do soy instead of fish and chicken instead of tofu.

And people think I'm so vanilla.

Posted by Snidget on 01-06-10 at 09:46 PM
I was worried just the word tofu would have people running for the hills. I think the dish will be just fine without it even if it is a usual ingredient.

Strangely I've always kind of liked tofu even as a committed omnivore who feels better with regular doses of meat in my diet. I blame the 70% soy burgers they used to serve in the school cafeteria. A lot of kids got hooked on them enough you could even buy them at some of the grocery stores to cook at home.

Posted by samboohoo on 01-07-10 at 09:15 AM
My SIL made chocolate mousse one year for Christmas or Thanksgiving, I forget which one. In any event, there was something odd about it that we couldn't quite place our fingers on. After the fact she told us she had put in tofu.

Fricking tofu in fricking chocolate mousee.

I can honestly say that I have never had designated Thai food in my entire life. And the only thing close I've ever made is frozen egg rolls or heating up La Choy.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-06-10 at 10:20 PM
>This is going to take me WAY out of my comfort
>zone. I will do soy instead of fish and
>chicken instead of tofu.

Ditto. I'm allergic to fish, but can have shrimp ... so I think I'm going to go the same route as you with the soy and chicken (plus shrimp) instead of fish/tofu.

I look forward to trying this! Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines to sample.

Posted by Max Headroom on 01-07-10 at 08:52 AM
I wish 50% of my family weren't super-picky eaters, as this sounds (and looks) very good. Pad Thai is one of my favorites.

Maybe I could make it for DD and myself??

Posted by samboohoo on 01-07-10 at 09:13 AM
You should. Perhaps she could even help you somehow.

Posted by Max Headroom on 01-07-10 at 09:32 AM
I know she'd help me eat it. That kid loves noodles.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-07-10 at 10:06 AM
Mmmm, can't wait Snidget. And I'm glad you posted early.

I've always wanted to try to make Pad Thai but then I forget about it. Now I have a great reason. And your pics look great. Love the step by step.

Posted by cahaya on 01-07-10 at 10:07 AM
This is delicious!

DW prepares exactly this recipe for lunch or dinner about once a week or two. In Malaysia, this very popular dish is known as 'mee goreng'.

You can substitute or even mix shrimp, chicken and beef with this recipe. They're all good.

Posted by weltek on 01-07-10 at 11:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-07-10 AT 01:49 PM (EST)

I love, love, love Pad Thai! This recipe looks much simpler than the recipe I've used, so bonus points if it tastes as good!

LOL at your bonus cream based recipe!

ETA: I will be omitting the bean sprouts. I am NOT a bean sprout fan.

-A Tribetastic Creation
-We gave retired FIL a basket of Thai cooking ingredients, a cookbook and some of my favorite Thai recipes for Christmas. He's been loving it. His wife (step-MIL) called us to say an extra thank you because she's been treated to meals with flavor for a change.

Posted by samboohoo on 01-07-10 at 11:42 AM
Why is it called Pad Thai?

Cod help me. Sometimes I am just so slow - I totally didn't even get this and it's now looking like a really good option!

Posted by weltek on 01-07-10 at 01:48 PM
I think Pad just means stir fried noodles in the Thai language.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by MKitty on 01-07-10 at 03:01 PM
ding ding ding...you are correct. I used to live in Thailand and taught Thai cooking...and the word "pad" actually means "fried"...so the literal translation of the is dish is actually Fried Thai!! LOL... Since it is one of their most famous fried noodle dishes, the word noodle, phonetically spelled "gwidioh"...is not necessary.

And, for the record, most Thais will use ketchup to make this...just don't get too heavy handed as it will end up pink. I typically will use both ketchup and tamarind paste as I always have tamarind paste on hand (it's easy to get her in our Chinatown or our Indian markets)

Good luck everyone! Remember, garnish is key here..so chopped peanuts, fresh beansprouts, cut limes and fresh Thai basil really make the dish!

Tribe manga'd my mug

Posted by weltek on 01-07-10 at 03:27 PM
I wish you were my neighbor. *sigh* I'd send Nolay over to do your yardwork in exchange for Thai food.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by frodis on 01-07-10 at 12:34 PM
Thanks Snidget! I love Pad Thai!

I've made Pad Thai a few times but it's always been something that I've just improvised, and it never tastes the way I want it to taste, probably because I really don't have the experience with the ingredients to be able to improvise Pad Thai.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-07-10 at 01:01 PM
Wow - Rob came home and I told him what the next OTCC recipe was but said "don't worry I'll omit the tofu". His response was "let's try it". Holy cow.

Posted by samboohoo on 01-07-10 at 01:13 PM
And now we have an answer for this cold front.

Posted by frodis on 01-07-10 at 01:13 PM
You're cracking me up today.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-07-10 at 01:35 PM
She IS on a roll!

Posted by samboohoo on 01-07-10 at 02:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-07-10 AT 02:51 PM (EST)

Way to put the pressure on.

ETA: I actually have been cracking myself up as well. I'm glad you both joined the party.

Posted by CTgirl on 01-07-10 at 02:39 PM
Wow! 19 posts and no one's cooked anything yet! Maybe you can turn this into a monster thread to help you forget, you know, the memory of that other one!

Snowfall by Tribe

Posted by Starshine on 01-07-10 at 03:56 PM
I thought I had all the ingredients, and then discovered I had no spring onions Ice everywhere so I will wait until Saturday when the grit and salt should have done its stuff.

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Just resists temptation to complain about the parking at the supermarket.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-07-10 at 04:01 PM
I didn't know grit worked for the DOT - you do have a Dept of Transportation, not to be confused with the Dept for Teleportation, right?

Posted by Starshine on 01-07-10 at 04:23 PM
Lumme! I am old, apparently we do have a Department for Transport, I always thought it was the Ministry for Transport but it changed its name in 1981!

Grit works for The Highways Agency and local councils, she isn't doing a great job for my council at the moment though

"I Love Pad Thai"
Posted by Karchita on 01-07-10 at 05:56 PM
I eat Thai food about once a week. Pad Thai was the first Thai food I ever had, and for a long time it was the only type I ate. Now I use it as a benchmark dish when I go to a new Thai restaurant. I order it and if it's any good, I'll come back a second time and try something else.

But I don't make Thai food. It's a restaurant food for me. Years ago someone once gave me a Thai cookbook, but I have never made anything from it.

*gets takeout menu from restaurant down the street*
*notes price of $7.95 for dish that will feed two*
*considers recipe, briefly*
*picks up phone and dials number by heart*

Sorry, Snidget. Thanks anyhow.

"RE: I Love Pad Thai"
Posted by Maroonclown on 01-09-10 at 06:43 PM
Hey Karchita, its great fun to recreate in your kitchen what you can order on the phone.

And, might I add, it's probably healthier because you know what's going in there - it's fresh. It's not been sitting in a warming dish all day.

I had a huge Chinese food thing going last year. Bought the Hoisen sauce, the Oyster sauce, everything, and I made the best fastfood Chinese I've ever eaten in my life. And I still have most of the staples on hand.

Give it a go. For the love of OTCC, give it a go.

And if it doesn't work out - you can always have "phone" for dinner.

Posted by weltek on 01-10-10 at 05:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-10 AT 05:26 PM (EST)

Yes, do it for the children OTCC, Karchita!
/end Sally Struthers voice

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 01-11-10 at 01:45 AM
My favorite Thai restaurant down the street does not keep anything on a steamtable.

Still.

*reconsiders*
*drools*

Ok, I'm in. Mr. Karchita will be in heaven.

Posted by weltek on 01-11-10 at 10:07 AM
Yay!!!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Starshine on 01-09-10 at 04:19 PM
Well I thought I could cook this without shopping, although I knew I had to replace the spring onions with standard.

So I soaked the noodles, added a little sesame oil to the beaten eggs (I cannot eat nuts, and this adds a nutty flavour) and fried it off, fried the garlic, onion and beansprouts with some bacon and scallops. Fried off the liquids with the noodles and egg, added the rest...

Fresh coriander, no. Fresh lime, No. Fresh Chillies, still in the freezer.

I did throw in some raw beansprouts and it was nice. I have quite a bit left over, so I will get the lime and coriander tomorrow and add them for lunch. More feedback then!

I think my noodles were about 1/2" which was a little too big for me.

Posted by Starshine on 01-11-10 at 03:03 PM
OK I was economic with the truth and in fact purchased my lime and coriander today. Along with the chilli they really bought the dish to life it was lovely I can imagine the peanuts add a crunch and chalk to it that would be lovely (OK I haven't eaten peanuts in living memory, but they always look crunchy and chalky to me).

I will have to cook it again, next time with the spring onions and tofu

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Am I over smiley today?

Posted by weltek on 01-12-10 at 11:50 AM
Confession:
We never have peanuts around, so I save little airline packets for when I make Thai food. Bash the packet with a meat tenderizer and voila-crushed peanuts!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-09-10 at 06:47 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-09-10 AT 06:49 PM (EST)

I'm all shopped up and ready to go.

When I told DH we were having Pad Thai he kept saying "Pate?"

"No, Pad Thai" "Pate?" "NO, PAD THAI" "What? Pate?" "Good God man, Thai Noodles!!" "oh"

He's skeered of the fu but willing to give it a shot.

ETA - I absolutely cannot abide cilantro. I will use parsley. Beat me with a wet noodle if I'm making a terrible faux pas but it can't be helped. Cilantro is not welcome in this house.

Posted by weltek on 01-11-10 at 10:08 AM
See, we like him so much, we think his ignorance is cute.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Seana on 01-11-10 at 00:08 AM
Oh, this is great! I used to buy a Pad Thai sauce mix packet. You had to mix the contents with water and a bit of peanut butter. It was quite good. Anyway, I'm so happy to get a recipe to make this from scratch. I will be subbing the soy sauce, since I'm not a fan of fish sauce. But I'll be seeing if I can find tamarind paste.

Thanks Snidget!

Wheel of tribe

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-11-10 at 06:17 PM

This was delish. My neighbour was over sitting in the kitchen with me, enjoying a glass of wine, so it was a lovely Sunday afternoon cooking experience.

She loves Thai food so she was the perfect guinea pig.

Got two thumbs up from her. DH really loved it too, even the "fu". He's a new fan of rice noodles

The only negative comment, and it wasn't really negative, was that there should be more sauce sticking to the noodles. But she said the flavours were bang on.

I took the rest into work to share with my gluten-free friend. He was thrilled and said it was extremely tasty.

This is just a random kitty shot I thought I would share.

Posted by weltek on 01-12-10 at 10:18 AM
Your cat's tail makes him/her look fat.

The pad thai looks delish!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-12-10 at 11:48 AM
She's not fat, she's just fluffy.

Oh heck, who am I kidding, she's a porker.

agman did it

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-12-10 at 11:55 AM
That looks really good. I think I'm off to the grocers today to pick up the ingredients.

That cat has one long, fluffy tail!

"Results"
Posted by Karchita on 01-12-10 at 05:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-10 AT 00:38 AM (EST)

I made this last night and thought it was quite good. I kinda-sorta followed the recipe, opting for:

peanut oil –I think it makes a difference
tamarind paste – I had to go to an Asian grocery store to get it, but I didn’t want to use ketchup. I do think that, as with the peanut oil, the details make the difference.
soy sauce – DH has fish sauce issues.
16 oz of noodles instead of 12 – I used the whole package
2 eggs instead of 3- seemed like enough, even with the extra noodles
2 cups of bean sprouts instead of 1- Again, I used the whole package.
a bottled Thai peanut satay sauce (from Trader Joe’s) instead of chopped peanuts – I had the sauce on hand and I didn’t want to buy a whole bottle of peanuts for this recipe and then have those little calorie bombs sitting around and calling to me from the cupboard with their little, seductive peanutty voices … eat me, eat me.
And I tossed in a cup or so of mushrooms because I had them and everything is better with ‘shrooms, right?
I also tossed in some frozen peas and julienned carrots for extra color (without shrimp it was bland looking) and to ramp up the veggie factor.

Problems:
1. I overdid the tamarind paste. I bought a concentrate and I think 1 teaspoon instead of 2 would have been plenty. My mistake; I should have trusted my intuition when I was measuring it out and thinking that it looked like a lot.
2. The noodles were hard to stir and mix with the sauce. After I put them in the sauté pan, they turned into a stubborn, gelatinous blob although they eventually cooked ok after I added more oil. I think I let them soak in the hot water for too long and possibly had too many of them in too small of a pan.
3. Next time I would make it with shrimp or chicken. I like tofu, but it would be better with something more, I thought.

Results:
This made a ton, about 6 generous servings. It was good, but not restaurant quality. I think I would be much happier with how it turned out if I hadn’t put so much tamarind in. Before I eat the leftovers, I may stir in a bit of ketchup or tomato paste to try to tone it down. I have to say that considering the time spent shopping, cooking, and cleaning up, in the future I will probably opt for the $7.95 deal down the street but it was fun to try.

Thanks for the recipe, Snidget. I do like a cooking adventure and that is what this was. I’m looking forward to hearing how others fared.

If anyone has any ideas for using up a whole lot of very powerful tamarind paste, I am all ears.

Edited because I forgot about the peas.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-14-10 at 06:33 PM
Bumping because I'm making tonight and want easy access to the pics!

Posted by Seana on 01-14-10 at 10:15 PM
I made this for dinner tonight. DH is on afternoons, so he wasn't around to ask me what the hell I was eating.

Anyway, I used chicken instead of tofu. Also, I looked for tamarind paste (not very hard), but couldn't find it. Honestly, there was a whole slew of Thai packets and jars. They all said "Pad Thai" on them. I found a red chili paste that had both tamarind paste and fish sauce in it, so I used that. It was really thick, so I diluted it with a bit of water. It also had a bit of heat to it, so I omitted the extra chilis. Next time, I'll make a greater effort to find the tamarind paste.

Anyway, this was really, really good. I will certainly make it again.

As an aside, I'd never had cilantro before. It's quite a strong flavour, isn't it? I haven't decided whether I like it or not. It worked in this dish, though.

My camera is acting up so I can't post a pic.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 10:48 AM
We like this - Rob more than me. He liked it alot! including the tofu. The dogs got my tofu. Blech.
I had to use soy sauce as this town doesn't carry fish sauce and I slivered 3 baby carrots just to add some extra color. I think that was the extent of my dabbling. Everything else I followed Snidgets directions. Oh, I did add shrimp.

The bottom picture - I'd had that box for a while. So we decided to experiment with a taste test. The box only holds rice noodles (the thicker ones) and a sauce packet. I had to buy really thin ones seperately as they didn't carry the thicker ones. The sauce packet had bits of red pepper flakes but otherwise tasted very similar, but there wasn't enough in it. When do this again I will buy the box and then amp up the sauce with Snidget's. And add extra carrots.
On the blind taste test Rob did pick Snidget's but said it was close. I mixed the noodles.

Overall, a nice addition to the menu line-up. Rob said he'd request it again.

The ingredients:

The ingredients prepped:

Finshed plates:

Posted by Snidget on 01-15-10 at 10:56 AM
Well at least converted more to the fu than I lost forever.

I don't mind the texture, but I think some people really can't get past that. It doesn't have much flavor other than what it picks up from the sauce but if you can't abide the texture of it then the most flavorful sauce won't do much good.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 11:06 AM
Question on the fu - if I put it in the skillet with just a bit of oil would it brown up better? I have half a brick left and I'm not sure what to do with it. Dog food is my choice as of right now.

Posted by Snidget on 01-15-10 at 11:27 AM
I usually do try to get it cooked with enough oil so it will get a bit of a brown crust on it. I also tend to cut it into fairly small cubes when I use it as well.

you can slice it into slabs and freeze those. The color changes a bit, but some people think it gives it a meatier texture and makes it suck up more sauce.

I also like small cubes of it in oriental soups. I usually put it in miso soup but if you have a hot and sour soup recipe or maybe even small cubes in an egg drop soup could use it up.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 11:30 AM
Hmmm, I have all the ingredients for Pho, thanks to you. I'll throw some in with the chicken. Thanks Snidget!

"tofu"
Posted by weltek on 01-15-10 at 11:39 AM
My favorite way to use tofu is to marinade it first, and I agree about cutting it small, and put it into stir fry, so it really soaks in flavor.

I also recommend making some hot & sour soup with it.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 11:46 AM
I think maybe I should have added it to the skillet first and then added the shrimp and veggies.

"my favorite way to eat tofu"
Posted by Karchita on 01-23-10 at 03:35 PM
Mori Nu Stir Fry

6 T soy sauce
1 tsp honey
2 tsp. balsalmic vinegar
2 T minced ginger
1 T minced garlic
½ tsp. sesame oil
1 12 ounce package of extra firm tofu, cubed
oil for stir fry (peanut or canola, vegetable, etc. with a few drops of sesame oil)
6 cups chopped vegetables (onion, broccoli, cabbage, peas, carrots, bean spouts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blend first six ingredients until smooth. Spray baking sheet or 9x9” pan with oil. Place tofu in pan in single layer. Pour half of the soy mixture over tofu; bake 20 minutes, turn and bake 10 minutes more.

Sauté vegetables, add rest of soy mixture and cook five more minutes. Add cooked tofu, toss lightly. Serves 4.

I got the recipe from a package of tofu a long time ago. It's very, very yummy.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by thndrkttn on 01-15-10 at 10:57 AM
Damn Tummy, you're photog skills are really improving! The two plated pics are phenomenal! Especially the black plate. Wow!

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 11:08 AM
Thanks!
Your pics are my inspiration!

I was mad at myself because I forgot to add a little of the sriracha sauce to the plate to give it an extra oomph of color.

Posted by CTgirl on 01-15-10 at 11:33 AM
They are beautiful. I think plating and presentation is the hardest part of cooking!

^regarding the tofu^ - I only like the texture of extra firm tofu. The others are too squishy for me.

Posted by thndrkttn on 01-15-10 at 11:43 AM
Hmmmm. I may go to walmart and pick up a cheap plate of every color so I can color coordinate my food and dish for optimum presentation! My white plates are getting booooo-ring.

Posted by frodis on 01-15-10 at 11:50 AM
This year I am going to replace my current dinnerware with black Fiestaware. My current stuff is 10 years old and most pieces are chipped and the glaze is crackled. I'd vowed to make it 10 years before buying new dishes but the last two years have had me fidgeting.

I have four Fiestaware plates and 4 bowls that are 14 years old, and they're perfect - no chips, no cracks, which why I'm going with the black Fiesta dishes this time.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 12:01 PM
My set of dishes is Fiestaware - every year I add a different color. The darks do photograph better. I'm about ready to get rid of the bowls and start replacing them with the chili bowls. The black plate is actually a dark purple.

Posted by frodis on 01-15-10 at 12:14 PM
I'm planning to buy it all as separates instead of the 4 or 5 piece place settings, because there is always a piece in the place setting that I don't want, namely cups and saucers.

I want to get dinner plates, small plates, shallow bowls, and the big 18oz mugs, which are the same size as the chili bowls but have a handle. (perfect for eating chili or soup on the couch, or a giant cup of coffee/cocoa/tea.) Multitaskers!

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 12:35 PM
Hmmm, may have to rethink the chili bowl thing.

"Updated schedule"
Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 12:07 PM
Jan 22nd - Maroonclown
Feb 5th - Buggy
Feb 19th - Qwertypie
Mar 5th - Tkit
Mar 19th - Arkie
April 2 - Frodis
April 16th - Seana
April 30 - Weltek
May 14th - Pepe
May 28 - Mkitty
June 11 - drumroll please - Mr T-kit

Everytime I fix something Rob likes, he says Mmmm, you should use this for your OTCC meal. He's said that about 12 times lately. He's become a rather competent sous chef though - but OTCC night is the only time he's really enthused about it.

I bet alot of spouse's are enjoying the rewards of OTCC.

"RE: Updated schedule"
Posted by Seana on 01-15-10 at 12:26 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Sig by tribephyl

Posted by thndrkttn on 01-15-10 at 12:31 PM
I just told him that his cooking threat was taken seriously and his response was "Look out!" so I hope he lives up to his own hype.

I just realized the only problem with him cooking is he does it by taste and look. There are never any recipes. *sigh* I now realize that I have, in essence, created more work for myself because I am going to have to transcribe his dish into a discernable recipe.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 01-15-10 at 12:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-15-10 AT 12:42 PM (EST)

*snort

*edited to add - If we just keep going by repeating the schedule that means I follow the Mister. *throws down gauntlet

Posted by Karchita on 01-15-10 at 06:17 PM
I think he needs a screen name of his own. If he's going to start a thread and join a club and everything. Does he need our help in thinking one up? *batt batt*

Posted by Tummy on 01-15-10 at 06:21 PM
I know, I know! *waves hand

lightingpuppy

*snort

Posted by Karchita on 01-15-10 at 07:04 PM
Sans vowels:
lghtngpppy
*gigglesnort*

Or maybe Cookie.

Posted by thndrkttn on 01-17-10 at 09:36 AM
He actually has a screen name and 3 whole posts to go with it!

I really like lghtngpppy though.

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-17-10 at 02:51 PM
First impression when reading this is light and guppy. This could start a whole new "knockers" debate.

"Recipes So Far"
Posted by Seana on 01-16-10 at 11:40 PM
I hadn't been bookmarking the OTCC recipe threads and I realised tonight that I wished I had. So I went and found them...and then wondered if anyone else would like them. So here they are:

Jagerschnitzel and Spaetzle – Ahtumbreez, Oct , 2009

Azorean Spiced Beef Stew – Breezy, Oct 16, 2009

Chicken in 3 Spices – Starshine, Oct 30, 2009

Veggie Mac and Cheese Casserole - Karchita, Nov 13, 2009

Potato and Leek Soup – JSlice, Nov 30, 2009

Sunday Pasta Dinner – samboohoo, Dec 10, 2009

Braised Short Ribs – CT girl, Dec 20, 2009

Mississippi Mud Cake – Molaholic, Dec 24, 2009

Pad Thai – Snidget, Jan 6, 2010

I'll keep track from now on, for my own benefit, maybe post all of them at the end...

Wheel of tribe

"RE: Recipes So Far"
Posted by Maroonclown on 01-17-10 at 02:53 PM
I have a file on my HD with the pictures and the recipes in Word. So much more helpful than trying to backtrack through the threads.

I may eventually print them out and make a little cookbook.

Posted by foonermints on 01-17-10 at 12:55 PM
OTCC Boink!

Tribemints© by Tribey
The other Mint is too lazy to make this one. Do I have to do everything?

Posted by ARnutz on 01-17-10 at 01:00 PM

I *lurk* in lurkerdom waiting to SWOOP!

Posted by foonermints on 01-17-10 at 01:43 PM
..and pretty darn quick, too. O Lurkienutz.

"This cartoon seems appropriate for this thread"
Posted by Snidget on 01-18-10 at 09:56 AM

"RE: This cartoon seems appropriate for this thread"
Posted by Tummy on 01-18-10 at 10:07 AM
*snort

2patched in 2010

"Help!"
Posted by CTgirl on 01-22-10 at 01:00 PM
Has anyone bought tamarind paste? Where did you get it?

I'm not a fan of ketchup and if I'm going to make this (instead of doing the Karchita phone trick ), I want to go authentic. I have searched several grocery stores and even called an Asian market in the next time over (owned by Chinese). No luck! I was able to get everything else at my Stop and Shop (and could get lots of other things I've never even heard of before!) but no tamarind paste.

If you read this Brownroach, do you know where in the city I could get it?

I really want some now and I think I'll pick up an order to have with dinner tonight!

Snowfall by Tribe

"RE: Help!"
Posted by Karchita on 01-23-10 at 03:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-10 AT 03:44 PM (EST)

I found it in a very large Asian supermarket. It appears to be a Thai thing only.

I have a bottle that I will never use up. Want me to mail you some?

ETA: I was thinking that Chinese 5 spice sauce would work in this, too. It's easy to find. And after I overdid the tamarind in my non-phone-it-in attempt to make this, I added ketchup to the leftovers and it was much better although a bit heavy on the sauce.

srsly

"Maybe"
Posted by moonbaby on 01-25-10 at 10:38 AM
you can get it in Chinatown or in a grocery store in Koreatown over by Macy's?

"RE: Maybe"
Posted by CTgirl on 01-25-10 at 08:20 PM
Karchita is going to send me some - but I'll have to look the next time I'm in the city. The thing that is weird for me is that I've heard of tamarind and because I've know of it for a long time, I never thought it would be so hard to find. It is really common in Indian food too but I guess people around here only eat Indian food and don't try to make it, lol! I worked in "Little India" (Lexington between 30th and 34th) for a while when I worked in the city so maybe I could head over there. I'm on a mission even though Karchita will probably send me more than I'll ever need!

"RE: Maybe"
Posted by Capn2patch on 01-25-10 at 08:27 PM
Dual Specialty Products on 1st Avenue
Indian grocery stores in Murray Hill
Ozone Park, Queens on Lefferts, and in Crown Heights, Brooklyn on Utica

Posted by samboohoo on 01-31-10 at 04:14 PM
No fu here, and I used soy instead of fish sauce.

The noodles freaked me out a little, but it was good.

Posted by Tummy on 02-01-10 at 01:30 PM
I'm making this again tonight. Kind of. I have a pork chop left over from MC's dish so I'm going to slice it thinly and stirfry it with some cabbage and carrots and then make it with the rest of Snidget's directions. I don't have any bean sprouts which was my favorite part, but at least I'll be using up the odds and ends in my fridge. Along with the rest of the cilantro before it goes bad.

Posted by CTgirl on 02-04-10 at 10:42 PM
So I finally made this! It was a lot of work, but it was very good. Thank you Karchita for the cross-country delivery of tamarind!

I would make this again only if I had a sous-chef to help me chop. It took a lot longer than I expected (starting with the fact that I was using peanuts still in the shell...) From reading all the comments, I decided to use 1/2 tamarind and 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 fish sauce and 1/2 soy sauce for that part of the recipe. That worked really well for me. I also cooked the entire box of rice noodles (which was too much and the sauce didn't cover it enough). I also used chicken instead of tofu since I shouldn't eat tofu. But overall we both liked it and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Thanks Snidget for introducing me to another facet of Asian cooking. I love the flavors and spices in Asian food and look forward to perfecting this recipe (with DH's help!).

Snowfall by Tribe

"Yay!"
Posted by Karchita on 02-05-10 at 09:42 PM
I'm so glad that sticky stuff got there without exploding in route. I imagine your postperson is glad, too.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by frodis on 02-05-10 at 00:03 AM
I finally made this tonight, too. *waves to CTgirl!*

I had to make some substitutions because the grocery store was out of bean sprouts when I went over the weekend, so at the time I picked up a bag of shredded carrot, broccoli and something else and figured in a pinch, that could be the veg component. I'd wanted to run to the store today to grab the bean sprouts but I had a rough day and I didn't make it out today.

So - no bean sprouts, but I had other shredded veggies.

I didn't use tofu. I did use one chicken breast sliced extremely thin.

I didn't find tamarind paste. I did find cans of tamarind juice, but I didn't buy them. I ended up doing the ketchup thing.

I did use fish sauce. I did not like the smell of the fish sauce. Not at all. It was particularly offensive to me and I'm not sure why. I mixed up the sauce with the veggies/chicken and was starting to freak out because I was not happy with the smell. I had visions of having to scrap the whole pot of stink and ordering pizza, but I decided to brave a taste of a piece of chicken and was surprised that I actually liked the taste. So, I kept going with it.

I made way, way, way too many wide rice noodles for the sauce. I ended up having to pitch some of the noodles. My daughter really liked the rice noodles, btw.

I did have sriracha on the side (as opposed to mixed in) since I didn't want to set my children on fire, so we added it individually. Mr. Fro seemed to like the sriracha.

Mr. Fro had two helpings and didn't seem too bothered by the fish sauce smell so maybe it's just me. (which is very weird because I like fish and he generally doesn't.) I really never got over the smell, though, so I had a fairly small helping, which I have to say, tasted good.

I might try this again with soy sauce and fewer noodles next time. I actually liked my veggie substitute but would like to add the bean sprouts next time since I do like them.

Posted by CTgirl on 02-05-10 at 08:40 AM
I didn't like the smell of the fish sauce either which is why I decided to substitute 1 tsp. soy for one of the teaspoons of fish sauce. It worked well - it masked the taste a bit but you still had some of the flavor from it. My grocery stores had 50 million different kinds of Thai curry pastes and mixes etc. but no tamarind and no Sriracha sauce. I had cut up a chili for the garnish (which I skipped) that my husband used but I think he would have liked the Sriracha sauce better. Back to my quest to find these elusive ingredients!

Posted by samboohoo on 02-05-10 at 08:46 AM
I might try extra veggies next time. I too didn't have sprouts.

Posted by weltek on 02-05-10 at 10:40 AM
I think fish sauce smells horrible (if you've watched how they make it, you'll understand why), particularly when there's too much in a recipe. But I do love the taste it imparts.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 02-05-10 at 09:46 PM
Mr. Karchita has major fish sauce issues to the extent that I wouldn't even bring it in the house. In general, he is not a picky eater at all. I usually am ok with fish sauce but once I had a dish with too much in it and it was gag-me bad. Icky.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by qwertypie on 03-01-10 at 03:53 PM

Making this tonight!
It's been adventures in missing Fu, runaway limes and invisible cilantro.

"NOT FUNNY!!!!"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-01-10 at 11:00 PM
WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THE GREEN ONIONS?!?!?!?

"RE: NOT FUNNY!!!!"
Posted by Snidget on 03-01-10 at 11:04 PM
*giggle*

No, not funny at all.

*snort*

Bwahahaha *claps hand over mouth*

*deep breath*

Sorry *wipes tears*

Hope you find everything soon.

Posted by Karchita on 03-02-10 at 00:49 AM
*gigglesnort*

The OTers laughed to see such a sight,
And the onions ran away with the fu.

With apologies to Mother Goose.

Posted by Tummy on 03-02-10 at 10:59 AM
This would be so funny...if things like this didn't happen in my house too!

"Update"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-02-10 at 02:39 AM
*SHAKES FIST TO THE HEAVENS*
"YOU WILL NOT BEAT ME PAD THAI!"

OK, I have tried at least 3 4 other times to make this Pad Thai.

First the Fu went missing. We figure that Sam thought it was feta cheese and tried to gnaw through the packaging.

Bought more tofu.

Second attempt. Bean sprouts kind of went bad in the fridge.

Third attempt. No bean sprouts. Babysitter cooked them up for Sam who, for a non-verbal kid, made it very clear he really, really wanted them.

Fourth attempt (yesterday) No cilantro, no limes. Mr. Qwerty used the cilantro in a salad he made (he was so pleased with himself) and the limes, well, we are not sure what happened to them.

I went to the store today to get limes and cilantro. Started making this so it would be ready when the Bachelor started and discovered we did not have any green onions.
ARGGGGH!

But I have decided that this recipe will not beat me and made it anyway without the scallions.

Mr. Qwerty and I really liked this. I can only imagine how good it would be with the onions

I added shrimp and cabbage (and would add more next time). I was worried that there wasn't enough Pad Thai sauce for the noodles (I used vermicelli noodles), but it gave a really delicate flavoring to them. I am not sure it I would double the sauce or not. And we forgot the cashews -- oh well, there is always next time!

"RE: Update"
Posted by Starshine on 03-02-10 at 11:47 AM
Thanks Qwerty, you have resolved one of my "well it worked, so I won't worry about it" queries.

I really didn't know what green onions were, I assumed that they were some special sort of onion we didn't get over here, I may try the recipe again with Green Onions/Spring Onions/Salad Onions/Scallions instead of the normal white ones I used.

Posted by Tummy on 03-02-10 at 12:06 PM
That's why we post pictures, silly. So you English won't be too confused by our English.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-02-10 at 03:22 PM
Yeah, they would have been pretty hard to chop up and put on your pad thai

Posted by Starshine on 03-04-10 at 04:25 PM
Still a very nice recipe

"SWOOP"
Posted by jbug on 03-04-10 at 04:27 PM
ummmmm
that's good!

Posted by Tummy on 03-08-10 at 01:09 PM
Snidge - I passed it down to the next generation in our family. Taught the recipe to a niece lastnight who loved it. And it was fun making it with her. Thanks again for a great recipe.