URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 16
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Election projections."

Posted by Estee on 10-11-07 at 08:24 AM
Who will be kept in their current post? Who will fall? Who might replace them? And does Taylor really think she has any chance of keeping that seat?

Keep in mind: right now, we don't know how the voting is being conducted -- if a district's members can only vote for that district's seat, if everyone voting and top four take the long desk, districts to be assigned -- etc. We can probably assume one debate, lots of posters, and no political commercials. Campaign contributions are a dubious subject at best.

The current council:

Blue: Anjay. (Hard to call: he's the Council member we see the least of, and we don't really know how his district relates to him. Greg will probably run here -- unless someone tells him the Council members can't get gold stars. Olivia? Blaine?)

Green: Laurel. (Seems to lead by reaction more than example: spends more time cleaning up after messes than avoiding them. Part of that is the editing, sure -- but she's not the strongest person there. Michael or Sophia could take this seat.)

Red: Mike. (I think he could retain his seat, if only because the editing really hasn't been showing us movers, shakers, and thinkers among the Reds. Quirky, yes -- but quirky has a hard time winning this sort of thing.)

Yellow: Taylor. (Must go for a nice, long fall unless everyone else somehow decides she has the power to carry out threats. With the way the editing's been going in the last couple of episodes, I think Zach is going to replace her -- and good riddance to the minidiva.)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Election projections."
Posted by Snidget on 10-11-07 at 09:07 AM
Of the four I think Taylor is in the most danger of being replaced. She might have a few followers in yellow that like to attach themselves to the Queen B types, but I thinkthe pressure of everyone hates how the yellow district operates could separate her from those who like her we shouldn't have to work anyway and you people just have to deal with it leadership style.

Laurel of the Green team may also be at some risk from the always losing the challenges thing. They might think somoene else cul ead the team out of the laborer class more often.

Some of the changes may depend on if the votes are in district only or more at large.

Posted by Molaholic on 10-11-07 at 09:21 AM
Yellow: Taylor. (Must go for a nice, long fall unless everyone else somehow decides she has the power to carry out threats. With the way the editing's been going in the last couple of episodes, I think Zach is going to replace her -- and good riddance to the minidiva.

So how many of the kids are from (dare I say it?) Florida?

Domo arigato sharnina-san!

Posted by kathliam on 10-11-07 at 09:37 AM
If the show restricts voting to within the districts, Mike, Laurel and Anjay should be safe. None seem to have fostered any dissension within their own ranks. Taylor, however, has received very verbal dissension from within her own district, not just the other districts who are fed up with her attitude and lack of work ethic. There do seem to be some within the yellow district (especially the younger girls) who don't want to work and like that Taylor doesn't expect them to work, indeed encourages them to slack off.

Last night's episode made it appear Zach has had enough of Taylor (as have we all). His putting together a kitchen clean-up crew from the other districts showed his leadership abilities and work ethic. (Although, LOL at how he practically had to hog-tie some of the workers!) I think Taylor will be toast and Zach will be voted to take her spot.

That being said, if it's a town-wide election and the top 4 vote-getters take council, I could see Mike being unseated as well.

This show is disturbingly addictive. I felt dirty last night watching the kids pound root beer shots in the saloon. Something just ain't right with that.

Posted by jbug on 10-11-07 at 09:58 AM
kids pound root beer shots in the saloon. Something just ain't right with that

This was disturbing to me too. Couldn't the town have had a soda fountain instead of a saloon? I think it was poorly planned to have a distinctly adult behavior (the bar/saloon hang out) set up for children to "play at".
Even the boy who was upset & missing his girlfriend went to get a root beer to drown his sorrows! Sad really.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 10-11-07 at 02:39 PM
We too just couldn't help but feel something wasn't right about the way the kids were taking shots. I was quite amazed to see a 9 year old that shaken up about missing his girlfriend.

Syren did this

Posted by Tamena on 10-12-07 at 07:36 AM
I found that whole thing very unnerving too. Had to explain to the 12 yr old here why I thought it wasn't appropriate and she did understand why I said so. Even my flake of a 15yr old got it - she made the first out-loud comment and pretty much said exactly what I was thinking -
that's just not right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

Posted by brvnkrz on 10-12-07 at 06:04 PM
Whew. I brought up the same thing to my GF and made a comment that perhaps I am getting old. I find it to be terribly disturbing. So glad that I am not alone.

RIP, Bill Walsh

Posted by Memaw on 10-11-07 at 09:44 AM
>And does Taylor really think she has any chance of keeping that seat?

Of course she does! Didn't you hear her response to the Adult when questioned, doesn't it bother you when those around you and especially those that are on your own team are making the remarks they are about her?

Yet, I do believe that Ms. Queen B will be shedding a lot of tears when they do knock her out from the "your highness" position on the Town Council.

Posted by CTgirl on 10-11-07 at 12:10 PM
That was pretty funny when the host asked Taylor if she was really that thick-skinned - he couldn't keep the shock (it was almost a reprimand) out of his voice!

surfkitty sig shop 2007

Posted by SherpaDave on 10-11-07 at 02:19 PM
I'm hoping it's not voting by district. If it is, I think Taylor has a decent shot of not being unseated. When it was time for Yellow to show up to cook, how many arrived? Two? If the bulk of the team likes being lazy, they're probably not going to be too excited about voting for someone who'll make them work hard.

It's funny that this could potentially do a good job of reflecting the way American politics work: dissatisfaction with Congress overall is insanely high, but dissatisfaction within each voting district for their own representative is sort of "meh."

Posted by kingfish on 10-11-07 at 02:50 PM
Hey, You're going to miss the Mini-diva when she's gone.

Little Taylor is gonna need a paddling, I think, to get her attention if she has that attitude IRL.

Posted by banzai on 10-12-07 at 00:21 AM
Here's my guess:
Blue: Anjay vs Greg. Anjay wins.
Green: Laurel vs Sophia. Laurel wins.
Red: Mike vs Jared. Mike wins.
Yellow: Taylor vs Zach. Zach wins.

Posted by mattben on 10-12-07 at 03:15 AM
Agreeing with you, Estee.

The unknown is what's, well, unknown. A wholesale set of elections? By existing districts or forming new ones from the new foursome (some of whom may be existing office holders)? Or just kick Taylor out and replace her with some other Yellow?

I'm sure change is coming soon.

I'm trying to remember if the Gold Stars are equally distributed amongst the Districts. That might be a simple policy that the kids could latch onto for voting. (Also keeps 'em from getting more gold stars; Machievelli snickers.)

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-12-07 at 05:44 AM
So far it has not been equal distribution.

Week 1: Green, Sophia
Week 2: Green, Michael
Week 3: Blue, Mallory
Week 4: Green, Morgan

The gold stars have the potential to be evenly distributed, but so far green and blue seem to have the people the council thinks are worthy of it. (Greg is also blue)

I'd like to see Taylor gone, but I agree with the person who said that it would depend on if Bonanza City votes as a whole, or if it is done strictly within council zones. She has such a powerful personality, that she may just shout down any nay-sayers within her own district.

I hate to admit this, but I so very much wanted yellow to come in last during the challenge just for the pleasure watching the beauty/drama queen have to scrub outhouses. *blush*

Posted by kathliam on 10-12-07 at 08:37 AM
I hate to admit this, but I so very much wanted yellow to come in last during the challenge just for the pleasure watching the beauty/drama queen have to scrub outhouses. *blush*

I freely admit I wanted to see that, too, especially for the moment when someone from the Green district would tell her she wasn't working hard enough and their 'butt wasn't shiny enough' (ref: Taylor's comment when Yellow district was Upper Class).

Karma's a beyotch, Taylor. Deal with it!

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-12-07 at 09:25 AM
Don't you feel sorry for any future bf's or husband(s) she has?

Posted by michel on 10-13-07 at 01:20 PM
Maybe this isn't the place but if Taylor does lose the election, which would be justified, isn't anyone worried what could happen to her? She may have thick skin but even adults have had big troubles adjusting to what they saw on TV of their persona and the after effect from their neighbors. Think Debb, for example. Taylor's 10 years old, a diva for sure, but still only a kid.

For the elections, if it's district by district:
Anjay should win since Blue has done well.
We've seen no one in red to unseat Mike.
Laurel is in danger. I think Micheal takes it here.
Zach will head the yellow district.

Posted by Snidget on 10-13-07 at 02:08 PM
I assume they have exit counseling and that available for the kids like they do for at least some of the adult reality shows.

While I know there is editing, if she loses an election they have to show at least some of why it happened. If they only showed her as sunlight and roses and everyone loves her then it might make losing an election very hard to understand story-line wise.

I think anyone going on reality TV has to be up for the challenge of what parts of you are going to be shown as often the part that makes the story understandable are not one's best moments.

Posted by CTgirl on 10-14-07 at 10:24 AM
I briefly wondered how Taylor will feel when she sees the show. Being a pageant queen has made her thick-skinned but this is totally different. I am guessing that she is going to be redeemed - probably after losing the election. That would fit in great with the show's theme "can 40 kids build a community?" No one else has really gotten a bad edit. Even Greg has been shown to be a hard worker to balance his foul mouth and temper tantrums, so I imagine we will be left with a better impression of her by the end of the show.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-14-07 at 01:12 PM
Taylor is NOT thick skinned. Taylor believes her own hype, because it has been reinforced for 9 years by friends, family, teachers and pageant judges. She is also very intelligent and has figured out the classic manipulation patterns that work for her.

I can say this because I've taught school for so long, that there are certain behaviors and triggers that allow me to see through the student into their homelife - sometimes without ever meeting the parent. I've seen this in students before, and when I meet the parents in conferences they almost always confirm what I already knew; that the child is loved, supported and spoiled to the point where they run their households like they run their social groups.

When these children are faced with the stark reality that they are not the center of the universe and won't always get their own way, they react in 3 specific ways: 1) They become belligerent and try to force people to their way of thinking ("deal with it") 2) they burst into tears so everyone feels sorry for hurting their feelings and backs down, and finally, 3) in a last ditch effort to get what they want, they put on the bravado that they don't care what others think about them. If they get their way great, but if they don't they can pretend publicly that they don't care, while in private they may cry or commiserate with one or two friends who will tell them that exactly what they want to hear to maintain thier feeling of superiority.

Taylor did 1 and 2 two weeks ago. When the only adult finally called her on her behavior this week, she tossed in #3. Expect to see the tears fall next week, followed by the "who cares what you think" speech. This not always a negative as children who act like this can also be very focused on their goals to succeed. Unfortunately for Taylor, the editing is only showing the negative affects of her behavior.

Posted by CTgirl on 10-14-07 at 01:30 PM
That is a really good description of her behavior. Do you think she can learn anything from this experience or is she too self-absorbed?

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-14-07 at 03:57 PM
That's rather hard to tell. I've had students (I call them kingpins to ra and other teachers) in my class actually respond well to me after they have figured out that I'm not "dealing with it," while others simply commiserate with a few of their minions on what a b**** I am. Either way, I win because they don't try it anymore. On the other hand, if they don't respond well they end up with a lower grade.

If I was going to hazard a guess based on the editing, I would predict that no, she won't change but will continue to try to follow this pattern. She's not stupid, she will simply stop trying with the district members she already knows will not give in to any of the three ploys, and try to find people more "nurturing" (like Morgan) who will take longer to realize it's all an act. But again, this is based on what we have been shown.

Posted by Snidget on 10-14-07 at 08:34 PM
A lot of time it is hard to change those "acts" as they often get us what we want or need. (might not be what is best for us, but if it wasn't filling some need we wouldn't do it).

Sometimes people decide that the cost of the "act" is too high and finally change or they find that what they really want has changed enough that they have to give it up.

It can also depend on who someone has in their life, how many people give in to or encourage that sort of thing vs people who won't let you get away with it.

I remember growing up the kids that were the hardest for me to deal with were either ones who had parents that refused to believe their precious little angels were capable of doing anything bad, or the ones that didn't believe the behaviors were wrong because they still did them.

Haunted by Tribe!

Posted by Agman2 on 01-15-16 at 05:51 PM
gawd, she's WAY too self absorbed!

Posted by Molaholic on 10-14-07 at 01:24 AM
From what we've seen, the 'future husband(s)' will certainly be in the plural form. After all, how long could one man "Deal with it!"?

Posted by mattben on 10-19-07 at 02:06 PM
Taylor took her demotion well. But you KNOW she's plotting revenge. Even the promo for next week showed it.

She's sorry she didn't have the Ms. Congeniality Exploding Tiara to toss.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 10-19-07 at 02:18 PM
What I saw was her jumping on the "badger Anjay" train. However, if she doesn't start "campaigning" for the gold star at some point, I will be very surprised.

Posted by geg6 on 10-19-07 at 04:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-07 AT 04:27 PM (EST)

Yup. She'll be agitating for there to be a bathing suit competition, a talent competition, and, of course, a question.

"Taylor, can you please tell us what you would do to help with poverty in developing countries?"

"Why, yes. I'd tell them...deal with it!"

Edited to subtract a period and insert the proper Taylor-like emphasis of an exclamation point.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

"From TV Guide Magazine..."
Posted by CTgirl on 10-28-07 at 03:00 PM
Sweeps preview:
"When one rebel pioneer refuses to do chores, Bonanza City residents take matters into their own hands, and districts could be redrawn when the town council deals with the weighty adult issue of "equality."

Ooh, that could be fun!

surfkitty sig shop 2007

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 02:53 PM
I predict no one will care in 2016