URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1563
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I don't care whjat they call it, get it off my screen!"

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 11-26-07 at 09:30 AM
Yes, I refer, of course, to this season's version of the "Let's pile a bunch of crap on a team behind us and not give them a chance to catch up! It's a lot cheaper than the more egalitarian Fast Forward, and it makes for crappy TV! YAY!" Or, to you and me, the U-Turn.

Granted, the good news is that the Yield is gone. I guess the hourglass was just straining TAR's budget and they had to sell it for beer money or something. But they replaced it with...what?

All right, all right, I'll tell you the real reason I'm upset. It's like this - those of you who stuck with the Survivor board this past summer know that I am a semi-accomplished fan fiction writer. I also revealed that my next project was a TAR season scheduled to be posted this coming summer. I've already mapped out the entire course and cast all my teams and am working on the pre-show.

And damned if I didn't have a U-Turn twist in my story - only different. They thought of it as a way to cut the Yield. My idea for the U-Turn? Infinitely better - I used it as a penalty for a team coming in last on a non-elim leg.

For the nitpickers, I am well aware that someone else suggested the concept of a U-Turn (even using the name) in a "suggestions for TAR12" thread over in the Fanatics section here. That suggestion wasn't applied to anything. This idea was applied stupidly. My idea was applied less stupidly.

Thanks a lot, Bruckheimer. Now I have to revise my entire route.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I don't care whjat they call it, get it off my screen!"
Posted by Cyndimaus on 11-26-07 at 12:52 PM
I like the concept. It's better than the Yield. But I didn't like how it was played. There really was no strategic advantage gained by the blondies playing it. At first I thought they mistook the team behind them as Lorena and Jason and really thought they were close to last. But as the episode went on it looked less and less like that's what they thought. They didn't gain anything at all by using it. I would have liked to see whether Lorena and Jason could have actually caught up to the other teams.

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Snidget!