URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1558
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"This is not meant to be rude but..."

Posted by Starshine on 11-19-07 at 05:29 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-07 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

Azaria and Hendekea, I live near London, that means that I live closer to Ouagadougou than you would if you were in Ethiopia (Assuming their family is from Addis Ababa. Roughly 50 miles since you ask).

I have Chinese ancestors, should I get excited when I go to Istanbul?

Sorry, I just get frustrated at the assumption that an entire continent is a small place.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: This is not meant to be rude but..."
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 11-19-07 at 06:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Just like North America (Canada mostly for me) there are swamps, deserts, mountains, plains, forests, jungle (yes Canada has rain forests in BC), grass plains and every thing else. How can growing up in one location prepare for the full range that an entire continent includes?

Posted by mattben on 11-19-07 at 08:07 PM
I agree with your take on that hubris, Starshine. I wonder if they call themselves African-Americans or Ethiopian-Americans?

But Instanbul is on the European side of the Bosporous.

whichever subgroup gets you a more profitable minority victimhood class designation, I'd guess

Posted by Karchita on 11-20-07 at 01:11 AM
Agree, Starshine. It made me wonder if they actually knew where they were going.

Posted by Kamio on 11-20-07 at 01:57 AM
Wow. This is a nit-picky thread. If you want to get worked-up about an event it this episode, how about the Blondes attitude towards Africa(ns). I didn't see anything wrong with what they said. I would probably say the same thing if I was going to Africa even if it wasn't the country that my family is from.

"WARNING"
Posted by Bebo on 11-20-07 at 08:26 PM
Please take a moment to read our community guidelines - there's a link at the top of the page. It is not your place to tell other posters what they can and cannot post here, nor is it your place to criticize them for nit-picking. This is a bashers site, after all.

If you have a problem with what someone else posts, then alert the moderators and let us handle it. Otherwise, the acceptable response is no response.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 11-20-07 at 08:34 AM
Y'know, at least they were excited about going to Africa, rather than Barbie and Other Barbie, who did nothing but complain. Sure, maybe Whatzitsname isn't exactly close to Ethiopia, but if someone from, say, Seattle went abroad for many years and got the chance to vacation in, say, Miami, it might be just a bit exciting for them.

OK, maybe not, but still...I'd rather listen to them blather on about their African heritage than listen to the Barbie Girls blather on about how horrible Africa is, as if everyone there loves living in abject squalor for some reason. Sheesh.

Posted by mjames1229 on 11-20-07 at 10:29 AM
I am actually tired of the yearly "Ugly American" thread. There is always one in each group (or maybe more than one, but it is edited as if there is only one).

I think calling players out on BS statements is more appropriate as a thread.

With that said, I also mentioned this comment about feeling comfortable in Africa to the wife as we were watching it. Ethiopia and western Africa may or may not have much in common other than blacks and Africa.

We are in Milwaukee, and I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable in Harlem, or the coal mining towns in West Virginia (I'm thinking of the scene in Deliverance), or in an anonymous desert town in the west with locals "that don't take too kindly to strangers", or on a lonely Mexican road with nobody in eyesight, or etc., etc.

Just because I may return to my continent of birth does not make me comfortable being there. Hell, I get uncomfortable at my local shopping mall sometimes.

I think Hank/Azaria's statement is as ignorant as anything else I've heard in this series.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 11-20-07 at 08:41 PM
Plus we already knew these girls were shallow. After all, these are the ones complaining about no facials on the second leg of the race.