URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID18
Thread Number: 154
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Episode 10 Missing Pieces"

Posted by dabo on 08-11-01 at 05:04 PM
As OFG noted in her reply to part 4, figuring out the strategy that lead to the vote result in Tribal Council may be confusing. Therefore, I am presenting the following from my notes for the benefit of all, since I did condense the material quite a bit in some ways with an eye towards replicating an episode of "Survivor" (darn the way they edit those things):

Tribes even 3 to 3, possible tie and deadlock in upcoming tc.

What AA's know (past votes): RR 1, OFG 2, DK 2, GT 1, Ice 1, Surv 4.
What BB's know (past votes): RR 1, OFG 1, DK 2, GT 1, Ice 3, Surv 5.

Reason for discrepancies: Neither tribe know how others voted prior to episode 6.

BB strategy: GT must try to attract the AA votes while the BB's try to determine which AA to gun for.

AA strategy: Determine which BB to gun for (Surv is obvious target), but also must reevaluate situation re. E's defection and loss. All come to conclusion that strategist Ice must have tricked E somehow, OFG comes to additional conclusion that trick wouldn't have worked unless E had reason to suspect members of AA of duplicity.

Paradoxical dilemma both tribes: Whichever side prevails in upcoming tc, one of the enemy will survive to final four; for two of the prevailing tribe the preferance for sole surviving enemy would be one who is both not a challenge threat but is also carrying as many past votes as possible, for odd-man-out the opposite is true because odd-man-out may need that enemy for buddy.

OFG and GT both become convinced they are odd-man-out within their tribes, OFG because of E's defection, GT because Ice is strategist and Surv is playing strategies she doesn't quite grasp but which she believes to be under Ice's direction.

Prior to tc BB's determined to vote for DK since RR had immunity, AA's determined to vote for GT. But by then GT and OFG had joined forces, being otherwise buddyless in their own views, and agreed to vote off Surv knowing he couldn't survive the deadlock rule. RR plays strategy at tc in order to remind DK how she is supposed to vote.

Finally, about DK's condition because of the overdose of witch's brew: Emotionally she is in a happy place, but she is aware of what is going on and is essentially in control of herself, keeping herself occupied in various activities. Her ability to communicate is scrambled, obviously, but she may be playing into it at times just out of catlike curiosity to see what comes out. Anyway, the next writer can have her wake up on day 31 her old self if he wants, that's his call.

Oh, and if you want to try mixing up the love potion at home: It may settle your stomach and help with a headache or hangover, you may even like the taste of it, but don't expect any recreational effects, that was just for fiction.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Episode 10 Missing Pieces"
Posted by George Tirebiter on 08-11-01 at 05:55 PM
Thanks, coonhead--I understand things a bit better now. . . Hate the way they edit this stuff so we don't know what REALLY happened until they get to reruns and have to add something extra so we'll be dumb enough to tune in again. Thanks for not making me have to sit through 20 hours of the same old crap to see 5 minutes of extra footage!

GT

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 08-11-01 at 06:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-12-01 AT 02:03 AM (EST)

dabo, I only have time for a quick reply, so thank you for sharing all that! I had completely forgotten that there could be a discrepancy in knowledge of prior votes. In part because I had Ice and Sleeeve in a secret alliance, so presumably Ice knew about AA votes from eee. No reason for the AA's to know Ice got votes in Ep 3 unless GT told OFG (and apparently she did share info, but maybe only about Surv...)

Thanks for the behind the scenes peek. As you know, because my episode 9 was unofficial and unedited, it made public a lot of strategizing that would have doubtless been edited out in a regular episode.

Lastly:
*Odd man out? OFG? Hey, DK and I have been like that from day 1! And I rescued the dog for RR. I don't feel on the outs with my tribe; I just wanted the kid out of there; too much of a wild card....*

Edited to say that I read your post again after AyaK's reply and understand it better now than the first time. You were thinking it through on such a subtle level...
That editing: made the votes almost seem unmotivated. Hah! Not so, just more devious than I could comprehend at first glance.

"Thanks"
Posted by AyatollahKhomeini on 08-12-01 at 01:01 AM
Thank you, dabo. I understand the strategic moves much better now, as well as how they fit into the upcoming episodes. You're correct that the AAs would have to be certain their target would get the boot.

In Survivor UK, one group wanted to double-cross their tribemates (who were being led by a Jerri-type named Eve) in E11 (with a 3-3 tie, tiebreak determining the boot) but realized that they instead had to vote off Eve's best friend Zoe (her Amber, so to speak) first because Eve herself had only one prior vote.

Posted by dabo on 08-13-01 at 11:36 AM
Oh, here's one more from my notes:

Strategies to make the merge, make the jury, make the final four, are all well and fine, but you have to have a strategy to make the final two and win the jury or you're just waiting your turn.

"If the race of man should be left naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks. A few individuals might linger, but in a year would become worse than monkeys." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")