URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID91
Thread Number: 1520
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rhonda giving high school grad speeches"

Posted by creepyoldwoman on 06-04-06 at 02:10 PM

HANCOCK — Hancock High School’s 76 graduating seniors were just days removed from their last assignments when Rhonda Britten gave them a new one: develop self-confidence.

Britten, the host of NBC’s “Starting Over” and a 1978 graduate of Hancock High School, delivered this year’s commencement address Sunday at the Sylvia J. Eskola Auditorium in Hancock Middle School.

At one point, she asked students if they’d felt unconfident. One raised his hand.

“The person who raised his hand is probably the one who’s going to be the most self-confident in five years, because he’s willing to say ‘I need help,’” she said.

For a long time, Britten wasn’t.

When she was a teenager, she witnessed her father kill her mother and then himself. She recovered to graduate with honors from Hancock High School and received a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of Minnesota.

But while she was among the top 100 students in the country, she slid into alcohol addiction, and also attempted suicide.

“She looked good, and she did all the right things ... but she wasn’t happy,” she said of herself.

However, she said, she was ultimately able to pull out of her rut and begin again. Now, Britten is three seasons into her position as life coach on “Starting Over,” as well as a best-selling author and founder of the Fearless Living Institute.

It’s great to be back at her hometown, she said.

“No matter how far I get from Hancock, Mich., Hancock, Mich., is my home,” she said.

Britten canvassed her friends in the week before her speech for the most important qualities for a high school graduate. Along with self-confidence, they picked gratitude, passion and a clean slate.

While it’s never too late for a clean slate, Britten said, the end of high school is tailor-made for it.

“You want to keep smart, keep it,” she said. “You want to keep commitment, keep it. You want to keep devotion, keep it. You want to get rid of dumping your girlfriend in a really bad way, you don’t have to keep it.”

Students speaking at the graduation were valedictorian Jacki Anderson, salutatorian Trent Auguston, class vice president Marco Guidotti and class president William Pattison.

“For seven semesters, we couldn’t wait ... but for the last semester, we wished it would last forever,” Pattison said.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rhonda giving high school grad speeches"
Posted by dopeydwarf on 06-04-06 at 06:34 PM
Now, will you all stand while we sing the school song?

"Raise your glass to Hancock.

Raise your glass of ale.

Raise your glass to Hancock

Where you graduate through the mail."

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

Posted by eire_heart74 on 06-04-06 at 07:58 PM
l and
>received a bachelor’s degree in
>marketing from the University of
>Minnesota.
\

Aaaah! That would explain it then. There seems to be a certain business element to alot of her work. Well she's making a career out of it and a successful one at that.

Posted by beautyboyknockout on 06-04-06 at 08:07 PM
eire_heart74 thats exactly what I thought to myself when I read that. I never knew she went to college. I knew there was a method to her madness.

Posted by talker67 on 06-05-06 at 02:32 AM
I can't imagine what it would have been like to watch your father kill your mother and then himself. I have lost both of my parents and that is hard enough but to see them die like that, just don't know how she did it. If I went through something like that and came out as successful as she, and I don't mean finacally, I would feel pretty good too. I know that she turned to alcohol but came through that also.
I'm just glad that she was able to take her horrible experiences and turn them around to help so many people. That to me is being a very unselfish person. I know that she has helped me so much. Thanks Rhonda.

Posted by techstyle on 06-05-06 at 12:47 PM
How old was she when this happened? Why did her father do that? Does anyone know?

Posted by Seabisquit on 06-05-06 at 01:41 PM
I think Rhonda was 15 at the time this happened. I've googled her name on the internet and have read several articles on this subject. What a tragedy. How does someone survive something this traumatic? I think she's done quite well considering all she's been through. Maybe this is why she and Andy bonded and seem so close.

Posted by creepyoldwoman on 06-05-06 at 05:38 PM
>
>
> How old was she
>when this happened? Why
>did her father do that?
> Does anyone know?

I was curious as well. I found this from a magazine called Balance. It's from an interview with her from 2002.

A Defining Moment
Rhonda was only fourteen when she witnessed her father kill her mother—a fact remarkably not discussed more than once on the show (and only for two minutes, in the last season). Rhonda's two sisters were still in the house getting ready, preparing to go to brunch as a family for Father's Day, while Rhonda and her estranged parents were in the yard. Unbeknownst to anyone, her father had no intention of celebrating. He was furious that his wife had asked for the separation and was dating a new man, so he pulled a gun out from the trunk of his car and proceeded to shoot her in the stomach as Rhonda screamed and begged him to stop. Next, he pointed the gun at Rhonda. Time stood still. She knew her father hated her—he had tried to strangle her several times before but had been interrupted. This was it. She took a breath and…instead, he put the gun to his own head, knelt down next to his daughter, and shot himself. In a matter of a few minutes, Rhonda was an orphan.

The images of that fateful day would haunt Miss Britten for the next twenty years. After trying to kill herself three times and ending up in a psychiatric lock-down ward, Rhonda decided that she wasn't very good at ending her life after all. Being a truly smart kid (a real straight-A student), she became instead a self-help and spiritual book junkie and an expert at healing herself, creating and using many of the exercises she now uses on the women in the Starting Over house. "That's how I know my exercises work," she says. "They're the reason I'm standing here today."

Posted by techstyle on 06-05-06 at 06:44 PM
I could cry.

I am now thinking back on her exercises but I am having a hard time thinking of which ones were hers. I guess her assignments were given to those she was the life coach to?

Posted by petmama on 06-09-06 at 04:14 PM
Still, a lot of her exercises never made sense to me. Such as Bethsny's "kissing booth" assingment. And, having Sommer stand on Rodeo Drive and yell out "I'm beautiful!" But, yelling it doesn't mean she's feeling it.

Posted by Jennier1237 on 06-14-06 at 11:50 AM
What did Rhonda do with her marketing degree and when did
she decide to become a life coach? Because I think
I read somewhere that Rhonda was in the private coaching field
before Starting Over.

Posted by JustBNMe on 06-14-06 at 09:29 PM
Yes Rhonda was a life coach long before Starting Over. She talks about becoming a life coach in her books but I don't remember the specifics. I do know that she has said while she was healing and changing her life people were asking her how she changed and she told them and then people began to ask her for help changing thier lives and she started coaching and public speaking. Not quickly though it was not an overnight thing.