URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1516
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Could We Not Have Gone INSIDE the Cave?"

Posted by ginger on 04-09-07 at 06:27 PM
Usually my mom calls me up to go "Neener neener neener - I've been there and there and there and you haven't..." after a TAR episode (well, she doesn't actually use the word "neener", but you get my drift). HOWEVER, I have actually gone up those stairs (and believe me, that monkey has lots of monkey pals in that neighborhood - they are like pigeons, but much cuter and much smarter) and the caves are at least worth filming! It's a great big cave, it's ancient, there are tons of bats, and everything!

I mean, I know the competition is the thing, but the best thing this show offers are the glimpses of spectacular far-off sights...last night the producers had the contestants climb all those stairs and then we didn't get to see inside the actual CAVES.

Boo! I wanted to speelunk, at least vicariously! I wanted to see the enormous batflock again!

In general, what a waste of Malaysia. Oh, and neener neener neener, unless you're Cayaha...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Could We Not Have Gone INSIDE the Cave?"
Posted by HistoryDetective on 04-09-07 at 06:32 PM
I think you left out a couple of words. I fixed it for you.

(and believe me, that monkey has lots of monkey pals in that neighborhood - they are like pigeons, but much cuter and much smarter than Mirna)

Posted by foonermints on 04-09-07 at 08:49 PM
Monkeys are classier too. They don't throw as much poop as CM.

Handcrafted by RollDice

Posted by cynnieb on 04-09-07 at 09:24 PM
I wanted to see in the cave, too. No fair...I felt gypped!

Posted by KeithFan on 04-09-07 at 09:56 PM
Code. Right?

Posted by cahaya on 04-10-07 at 00:04 AM
In general, what a waste of Malaysia. Oh, and neener neener neener, unless you're Cayaha...

I had to laugh at that! Yeah, it was something of a waste, but it did give a clue how complicated it can be to get around KL on the light-rail transit (LRT) lines, one reason people still hire a taxi. Taxis, incidentally, are quite cheap compared to any other city I've been to, and a few phrases spoken in local dialect will keep the more unscrupulous drivers honest about the fare. The episode also showed just how friendly and helpful Malaysians can be, unless you try to buy newspapers from the 'paper lama' guy trying making a living of it! Both DW and I thought the episode gave a fair portrayal of Malaysia in spite of its brevity.

If it were me, I'd have the teams do the jungle canopy walk not far from Mount Kinabalu in Sabah. Not for the faint-hearted with a fear of heights, as you're almost 100 feet up in the canopy and it's like another world up there.

Finally, there's probably only two degrees of separation for me from most of the Malaysians captured on the episode - it's a small world there. I used to shop for those very same cloths ('batik') for DW to have tailored, and I know a lot of people in Kampung Baru as well as Sri Hartamas, with friends in both locales.

Rays of light by tribe.

Posted by emydi on 04-10-07 at 09:53 AM
Sorry ginger...EPMB bought all the rights to show bats on reality shows this year...

Jerry B didn't want to get sued

Posted by ginger on 04-10-07 at 04:00 PM
Bats are pretty groovy. They eat mosquitos. You can get really fond of them in Asia for this penchant alone.

Posted by cahaya on 04-10-07 at 06:52 PM
Yup, they come out right at dusk and if you're outside walking/jogging, they'll buzz right by you scooping up the cloud of Aides mosquitos following you around. Gotta love those bats!

Rays of light by tribe.

But hate those mosquitos. I got bed-ridden in the hospital for five days with dengue, which is carried by them. Ick.

Posted by popeave on 04-10-07 at 04:07 PM
I kept thinking they had edited something out. Didn't understand the point to going to the steps to the caves but not in! Woulda been cool.

Posted by ginger on 04-10-07 at 06:34 PM
The cave(s) are HUGE and fairly well lit, too, so I'm not sure why we didn't enter. Perhaps there was a problem with the film crew having access or something.

If you go on line, you can find pictures of the insides of the caves.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Wilayah_Persekutuan/Kuala_Lumpur-1282074/Things_To_Do-Kuala_Lumpur-Batu_Caves-BR-1.html

Posted by PsychoKitty on 04-15-07 at 08:35 PM
Hi! Late arrival here - did they actually have a job to do at the caves? It looked like they just had to grab the clue on the stairs and from there went to the batik or cookie challenges. Was there another "challenge?"

thanks!
Pyschokitty

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by mom2bjm on 04-15-07 at 08:54 PM
Nope, they went UP the stairs to get the clue, and then back down.. as far as we know.

My hippos love Tribe!

Posted by PsychoKitty on 04-16-07 at 06:59 PM
Thank you Mom2bjm That's what I thought. It's nice to know I'm not imagining things. . .

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl