URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID91
Thread Number: 1469
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Everyone lets get Starting Over on DVD"

Posted by gingerlp on 05-20-06 at 07:58 PM
Go to Tvshowsondvd.com register and vote for SO to be released on DVD PLEASE DO IT NOW.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Everyone lets get Starting Over on DVD"
Posted by Seabisquit on 05-20-06 at 08:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-06 AT 09:32 PM (EST)

gingerip...I don't see where it says you can register and vote. ?????

ETA: I'd register and vote for you and others, however, don't think I'd be interested in living through the trainwrecks again.

Posted by Snidget on 05-22-06 at 11:27 AM
When I was there over on the left there is a link to register and log in. Also if you search for SO there was a link on that page to register so you could vote.

Here is the direct link if you still can't find it http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newuser.cfm

Posted by mysticwolf on 05-21-06 at 02:13 PM
Well, good luck, but I have my doubts that it would make economic sense. This has come up often enough that I decided to figure it out.

Let's see, Season 1, which seems to be the favorite season, has 120 1-hr. episodes. A single DVD is going to be able to hold about 5-6 hrs. of content. So, for that season alone, they'd be dealing with 20-24 DVD's - without any of the "extra", behind the scenes stuff, that generally need to be included as a bonus to get people to buy the DVD's.

Season 2 was 165 episodes long. That's 28 - 33 DVD's.
Season 3 was 371 episodes long. That's 62 - 75 DVD's.

So, for all 3 seasons, they'd be looking at a grand total of somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 - 132 DVD's.

According to Amazon, the avg. price for a TV-series-to-DVD is $40-$70 per season (dealing with 1/2 hr., weekly, shows, few enough that a series, plus extras, fit on a single DVD). M*A*S*H* season DVD's, for example, list at $40/per. Using that formula, someone wanting all three seasons would be looking at a total investment of $4,400 - $5,280. (Again, that's without any bonus content.)

Even at $15/per season (cost of "Survivor - Season 2: Australian Outback") it would still be an investment of $1,650 - $1,980.

Are there really that many SO fans that would shell out that kind of money for the set? I'd have my doubts if I were the production company.

Puppy Lvoe from Tribe blogging's scary

Posted by GoodnightLittleBear on 05-22-06 at 11:12 AM
I would imagine they would end up doing a "Best and the Worst of Starting Over" DVD IF they were ever to do so. That would make more sense than each daily episode being on DVD.

The big reason I don't think they will do it is because this is obviously not a big budget show (or they are just cheap) and if they produce DVD's, they would have to pay all the HGs royalties.

As Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Posted by beautyboyknockout on 05-23-06 at 00:10 AM
>someone wanting all three seasons would be looking at a total >investment of $4,400 - $5,280. (Again, that's without any bonus >content.)

You could get a real good shrink for that money!! Or visit Iyanla at her weekend retreats, lol

Posted by evilfeevil on 05-23-06 at 08:03 PM
QUOTE:
>Season 3 was 371 episodes long.

What? What is defined as an episode? Season 3 was only on for 8-9 months, about 20 days a month, which means 160-180 episodes, minus the two-week break at Christmas and any other breaks here and there (not sure if we're including the couples' boot camp), so how are you getting 371? Do you mean 171?

Posted by maryellennaco on 05-24-06 at 04:52 PM
Oh please, let's NOT... Let it go, and get on with another show. This season alone is not worth a warm bucket of spit, IMHO. Plus, letting it go means these ridiculous women will at last have to get a REAL life and a REAL job and move on with their "toolbelts" into REALITY.

Posted by Jarra on 09-17-06 at 03:20 AM
having SO cancelled was like being on minute 37 of a 50 minute shrink visit and having a fire alarm pulled. It was a horrible ripping, tearing-away, feeling of loss to have it cancelled. I'm still trying to find a way to get copies of the show. I loved it with all of my being.

Posted by JustBNMe on 09-17-06 at 07:59 AM
Rhonda has already announced the SO will NOT be released on DVD. It would be too costly among other things.

Posted by SOTellItLikeItIsFan on 09-18-06 at 11:20 AM
mysticwolf is right. Starting Over had too many episodes to make a DVD collection out of, even though the show was popular, the show isn't MASH or Star Trek so I doubt that SO would be on DVD. All we can do is petition and get stations like TLC, Discovery, Lifetime, WE, TVOne to show reruns again but their probably won't be any reruns for a loooooooooong time. They may show reruns in the near future to attract a new audience. I got a feeling that maybe one day Starting Over or something like it will come back on the air, I think CBS or NBC wants to try other things. I had hang-ups and dislikes about the show but I was addicted to it. It was the only decent show on TV, talk shows, court shows, and most of the reality shows are worthless. I enjoyed watching SO 3 times a day. I made a vow with myself not to watch much time so I don't become addicted but I wish I would have listen to myself and recorded the episodes that were coming on different stations a couple times a day. Never take anything for granted! I only recorded tidbits of the show.