URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1451
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Blondes are Racists and Offensive"

Posted by tmj212 on 01-07-07 at 05:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-07 AT 09:28 PM (EST)

Why did they have to start referring to the Bamas as the 'Sistas'? Each time I heard it, my skin crawled. They are the only team in TAR history to be nicknamed after their ethnicity and not some other characteristic. If either of the BQs called me that to my face, I'd punch them in the mouth. Seriously. They were purposely trying to be disrespectful and demeaning by calling them that and should be ashamed to show their racist tendencies on national television. It goes to show you that beauty is only skin deep. B*tches.

I will start a national boycott of the show and their sponsors if they should appear on any All Star episodes.

I'd love to know what they Bamas thought about this when they watched the show.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Blondes are Racists and Offensive"
Posted by dabo on 01-08-07 at 01:20 AM
Most of the teams called them the 'Bamas or somesuch. Whatever.

I don't think the producers could have really edited it out if the Blonde Bimbos were just too dumb and full of themselves to be PC about it.

But what makes "Sistas" racist? Bruddah.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 01-08-07 at 11:35 AM
"Sistas" is racist? If so then there are sure a lot of Black women who are racist to other Black women out there. My mother friends use the term to each other all the time, and while most are Jamaican - at-least half of them are White.

So tell me, why are you not complaining about the sexist comments from these same Black women about the Blondes?

Posted by tmj212 on 01-10-07 at 09:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-07 AT 09:44 PM (EST)

The term "sister" may be used in the black community and in religious communities as a term of endearment, or to indicate a spiritual relationship. To be called the 'Sistas', as in the 'Brothas and the Sistas', refers to their ethnicity alone in this circumstance. They are not biological sisters, nor did anyone ever refer to the Chos as the 'brothers', or the 'Asians'. The Blonde's sheer disdain for the Bamas shows their intent to use the term as a perjorative and not as a term of endearment. It is demeaning, devisive, and racist to have your team's nickname refer to the color of your skin, when there are so many other characteristics that make us unique.
I hope I never see their sorry asses again.

What sexist comments are you talking about? If you are referring to the fact that the Bamas stated the obvious that the Blondes were using their feminine wiles to get ahead, then they were only stating the truth, which is not sexist--only a fact.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-29-07 at 06:51 AM
Well... these two are back on the All-Stars race.

*waits for tmj212 to set up national boycott*

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Posted by Estee on 01-29-07 at 10:50 AM
Now if they call Uchenna & Joyce 'the Broistas', we've got a problem.

Personally, I think Dustin & Kandice did have a spiritual relationship with Lyn & Karlyn. L&K wanted the opposition's spirits to condemmed to eternal suffering. That counts, right?

Posted by donracefan on 02-21-07 at 00:07 AM
Is this a joke? And I'm not joking when I wonder that. If it isn't a joke then it should be. Some people will try to see anything as offensive. I have an idea. Why don't we stop worrying so much (if at all) about what others can and can't say. No one put anyone else in charge of policing speech.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 02-21-07 at 00:22 AM
Don,

Are you addressing Estee (who is being most sarcastic, as usual) or the original poster?

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

"WARNING - donracefan "
Posted by Bebo on 02-21-07 at 12:23 PM
Actually don, the moderators are in charge of policing around here. If you think that another poster has violated the forum's guidelines (see the link at the top of the page), then alert the moderators and let us handle it. Don't take show discussions off-topic to attack other posters yourself.

"RE: WARNING - donracefan "
Posted by donracefan on 02-21-07 at 05:49 PM
To address the last 2 entries which were both addressed to me, I was replying to the original poster about the topic itself. And I'm not trying to police anything but rather reminding others that it's not up to any of us to police speech that we see on tv. We shouldn't worry about what the blondes say. Watch it or don't watch it but they can call team Alabama the "sistas" if they want to. That would be wholly and entirely between the blondes and that team...NOT US. I am simply pointing out that as viewers, and in other cases, as citizens, we seem to get entirely too wrapped up in whether or not other people say something that we might not like. My point is let's worry about what we say ourselves and not assume it's our responsibility to worry about what some team on tv says.

"Explanation"
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 02-21-07 at 10:50 PM
Don,

We comment as we do because reality shows, the characters on them, and what they say and do *is* our business. It's the business of this site. It's why SurvivorBlows (Webby) created this site in the first place.

And every person on a reality show makes what they say and do our business by the simple fact that they're on the show. I doubt Jerry Bruckheimer or Bert Van Munster put a gun to the head of any Amazing Racer to make them race. They're in the public eye; they're fair game for our cheers and jeers.

You're free to disagree with the original poster's (OP) opinion (and thanks for clarifying), and others above disagreed with tmj212. But you, me, the OP, and everyone else on this board can say what they want about reality show stars.

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

"Comments on racers comments"
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 02-22-07 at 08:17 AM
One reason to comment is seeing if the racers actions match their comments, this tells us something about their personalities.

Another is what causes them to act the way they do with each other, while I dis-agree with the original post - looking to see if a racer is affected by something like racial beliefs tells us if they may do actions based more on their beliefs than what is the best move in the race itself.

I think that was most clearly shown in the previous race with Rob & Amber in it. We heard far too many teams commenting on how they were going to cause R&A to lose, and in the process of trying to defeat Rob they ended up making mistakes that lead to themselves leaving the race.

If the girls are really racist then we should see them focus a lot on U&J, which of-course can lead to mistake because they could miss the actions of another team.

On the other hand I don't expect them to, and if they comment about U&J already winning a million that is not a sign of a racist to me either.

PS. I think it is clear that David & Mary start the last race with a number non-PC views, but they have open their arms and hearts to all types.

"RE: Comments on racers comments"
Posted by tmj212 on 02-28-07 at 07:34 PM
I didn't see David and Mary making any major faux pas (although I clearly expected them to) and any mis-steps that they may have made were out of ignorance/lack of education or'worldliness', and not maliciousness. If anyone who feels that the term 'Sista' is not offensive when used out of context, try this at home: If you are a white person, approach a black person that you do not have a kinship with and say, "What's up/How you doing SISTA?" and see what response you get. Watch closely and take notes.

Posted by L Jackson on 02-28-07 at 08:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-07 AT 08:13 PM (EST)

How is it NOT discrimination to say that one group cannot use a term/phrase when another can? And in this case if we are defining the group by race, it is racist to say one group can say it and another cannot. If it is an offensive term, then no one should use it.

By the way, people sometimes call me 'Buddy' when I don't know them. While it is kind of annoying, it does not offend me.

"Comments"
Posted by michel on 02-28-07 at 08:26 PM
Dustin and Kandice said in a cbs.com video this week that they are most friends with Uchenna and Joyce since they've talked to them the most on the planes.

"RE: Comments"
Posted by dabo on 03-01-07 at 00:04 AM
Have they started calling Oswald and Danny "Sistas" yet?

Posted by Karchita on 03-01-07 at 02:59 AM
If anyone who feels that the term 'Sista' is not offensive when used out of context, try this at home: If you are a white person, approach a black person that you do not have a kinship with and say, "What's up/How you doing SISTA?" and see what response you get. Watch closely and take notes.

You may very well get a less than friendly response, but if those same black women would respond differently to a black person making that comment to them than they would to a white, then they are racists because their behavior is based on race.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 03-06-07 at 10:45 AM
I will start a national boycott of the show and their sponsors if they should appear on any All Star episodes.

So, how is that boycott going?

Just curious.

Posted by bystander on 03-06-07 at 10:53 AM
Well, I, for one am not buying it!