URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1408
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"team trailer trash = rupert?"

Posted by cqvenus on 10-30-06 at 11:47 AM

come on. is this rigged? they get that stupid noneliminiation, "marked for elimination," must be first, or OH NO! 30 min penalty, TWICE???

are they rupert?

i can't *imagine* ppl like them that much.

~ cqc

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: team trailer trash = rupert?"
Posted by dabo on 10-30-06 at 12:01 PM
But no one expects David and Mary to win, big difference.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 10-30-06 at 01:56 PM
Plus, we see them enjoying both the places they go and the people they meet. To Rob most places (not all) were just background and people were to be use to get ahead of the crowd.

David & Mary are poorer people true, but they are not what I think of when I use the term trailer trash, I would not mind them living beside me. Plus coal mining is hard, dangerous work - anyone who does that for a living has more guts than me!

Posted by dabo on 10-30-06 at 02:08 PM
I don't know if I'd say David and Mary are "poorer people." Rupert lived in a bad and dangerous part of Indianapolis, his main goal was to be able to move his family somewhere safer and nicer. David probably makes relatively good money working in the mines.

"Trailer trash? Hardly."
Posted by Rhyn on 10-30-06 at 02:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-06 AT 07:57 PM (EST)

Here's a man who does one of the most dangerous jobs in America, and a wife who clearly supports him in his endeavor. Trailer trash can't keep a job, and even when the male part (because it's always the man who supports the family) of a trailer trash family gets a job, the female half usually whines and bitches until he quits or is fired. Classic trailer trash.

Here's a team who is moved by what they are seeing on their world tour, and who are decidedly less egocentric than most couples on this race. They've taken time to really appreciate the amazing things they've seen. Trailer trash just makes fun of whatever's different or unusual.

Here's a team whose closest friends on this race are the gay couple, the asian men, and the black women. Trailer trash says stick to your own kind, and don't trust none of them "foreigners."

This team is even willing to sacrifice the race to help their new friends. Their relationships mean more to them than monetary rewards. They aren't after the ultimate get-rich-quick scheme. They would rather take away from this race the things that really matter in life. Not what I think when I think 'trailer trash.'

A trailer trash team would be the one who was suspicious of every person not like themselves. People who were disrespectful at every stop. People who move beyond stressladen nagging to indulging in really, really hateful comments directed toward one another. People who seem to have no respect for one another. People who do very little to support one another. That, to me, is trailer trash. And that, of course, isn't Mary and David. It's Rob and Kimberly. Except, they don't have bad teeth, and they don't sound like they're Southerners.

You don't like Dave and Mary because they're poor, or because Mary has bad teeth and frizzy hair, or because she nags, or maybe because they talk funny. Fine. I'm not their biggest fan and I don't think they stand much of a chance of winning, but I'd say if you only see the bad and none of the good, then you must really be predisposed to disliking them.

There's an abundance of evidence that speaks to the quality of their characters, and very little evidence beyond the utterly superficial for disliking them. So, yes, I would say that maybe people do like them that much.

On the other hand, I really don't like Rupert.

(edited because some of my typos were just plain embarrassing)

"RE: Trailer trash? Hardly."
Posted by deweydrop on 10-30-06 at 03:09 PM
*clap clap clap*

very well said.

Posted by aquariaqueen on 10-30-06 at 03:47 PM
Thank you for taking the time to write that....very well done.

One exception, the trailer trash where I live, the gals (didn't say wife) work two jobs, and the men are on disability and lay around all day eating junkfood, smoking, drinking beer and making babies they don't want to raise.

Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 10-30-06 at 06:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-06 AT 06:26 PM (EST)

Singing:
How you gonna keep them down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?

Beautifully said Rhyn.

I like them because I was so ready not to like them, at the beginning of the season. They changed my mind because of all the things that you mentioned.

I seriously doubt that they will make it to the end, but I suspect that they will come away from this race much, much richer than when they started. I can not even begin to imagine just how much their "world view" has expanded as a result of their experience on TAR.

Edited to correct the lyrics.

Tribephylanthropy!
Space For Rent.

"you read what wasn't there"
Posted by cqvenus on 11-03-06 at 10:30 AM

You don't like Dave and Mary because they're poor, or because Mary has bad teeth and frizzy hair, or because she nags, or maybe because they talk funny.

i didn't say that i didn't like them.

thank you for defining what YOU think trailer trash is.

obviously i disagree.

~ cqc

and special thanks to breezy, the statistician, for tallying votes as to what constitutes "most."

*shrug*

"RE: you read what wasn't there"
Posted by Rhyn on 11-03-06 at 09:54 PM
You call them trailer trash and are stunned that people like them. If that's how you treat people you like, then I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies.

And, I agree with Breezy actually. I love bashers. I just didn't think it was a very good bash.

"what i'm stunned about"
Posted by cqvenus on 11-04-06 at 10:41 AM

is that people like them SO MUCH.

i think they're all right. but to be SO favorite as to receive (pity?) nonelim legs two weeks in a row, one of them where they actually got the fast forward, seems a bit much to me.

~ cqc

Posted by maryellennaco on 10-30-06 at 06:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-06 AT 06:09 PM (EST)

STANDS & CLAPS, RHYN!!! Very well said! And yep, I do believe you were describing Rob & Kimberly! Wasn't it Kimberly who said something like, "All these poor people in these third world countries - when are we going to EUROPE so we can be around people we LIKE" ..... Barfaroni Beyotch. Ugh! Some folks just never have any class, even IF their teeth are good!

eta:grammar

"you people are confused"
Posted by cqvenus on 10-30-06 at 09:43 PM

i do believe the sign on the door said BASHERS.

anyway, you can love them if you want. heck, i'd just as easily go over to FANATICS and post how great i think they are in concurrence with their love thread.

but they do fit my images of trailer trash.

it's the accent, mostly. oh, well. they're gone next week, anyway.

and i still say they're team rupert.

~ cqc

"RE: you people are confused"
Posted by dabo on 10-31-06 at 00:37 AM
I actually didn't take exception to the trailer trash thingie though it is obvious in the opening credits they live in a nice country house and even have a trampoline and a four-wheeler. Still, they could be renting, and most trailer trash seem to be renting except them that aren't, so who knows.

Now if, on the other hand, you'd have said "po' white trash" well clearly them would have been fightin' words!

I like Mary because she's a sweetheart and is clearly having the time of her life despite the pain and hardship. And it is kind of entertaining watching the hicks bumble their way around the world.

As racers it is painfully obvious they are a lost cause, they just can't get it in gear when they need to. But they seem to have outlasted all the other bad race teams this edition, even Team Iron Man.

"RE: you people are confused"
Posted by J Slice on 10-31-06 at 07:02 AM
Yeah...

They're pretty craptastic as racers, but they do seem to be decent people...

Heh... booketing.

"Nope not confused"
Posted by Breezy on 11-02-06 at 12:16 PM
Just most didn't agree with you in your bashing. *shrug*

Posted by Cyndimaus on 11-02-06 at 11:35 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-02-06 AT 11:41 AM (EST)

I'll believe it's rigged when we have ourselves a fast forward and they get it.

As much as I like them (David & Mary), I think the NELs are rather bunched up. Have we had them this close before?

etf pronoun clarification and sig

sig courtesy of Cygnus
Mouse on the move by Snidget

Posted by Karchita on 11-04-06 at 08:14 PM
I don't get it why people like them so much, either. They haven't done anything all that notable in my book, other than irritate. I do not care for the nagging, bickering or ignorant braying that they have displayed every single episode.

In my neck of the woods, we don't make such fine distinctions about trailer trash. If you have frizzy hair, bad teeth, a hillbilly accent, a four wheeler, and a spawn of kids, it's easy, you are trailer trash. Heck, just a couple of those things might do it.