URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID7
Thread Number: 1382
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Medical emergency."

Posted by Estee on 02-27-08 at 08:24 AM
So James is the relatively level-headed one. Who knew? Natalie's first priority was to alert the rest of the house (and you can have a lot of fun watching their reactions on slow motion -- Joshuah in particular), but James is the one who went to the Panic Button.

Last night wound up asking a few questions about the operation of the house. Even with medical people as close as the Diary Room, no one entered until James hit the panic button. (They may have had extra help on the way: we don't know -- but the editing didn't make it look good.) We also have to ask ourselves about how much medical testing the casting crew does on potential contestants. It's known that some of the major shows check for conditions that might be a threat in the game. It doesn't look like BB had much of a hint regarding contestant allergies -- and would you ever let someone who was hypoglycemic go on slop? We knew they didn't care about casting for mental stability: physical may have just gone out the window.

Also -- and this is a news note that didn't make the show, but it should be brought up -- Allison has been talking about how she can't afford the medical bills from this incident. Normally this could be a joke, but we're talking about the cheapest reality show on television. Anyone want to bet contestants have to pay for any major medical care they require within the game? It's not likely -- but I'd be really, really reluctant to bet against it.

What happened last night could have been a lot worse than it was. But if the house was more properly controlled -- if someone had been paying any attention to contestant welfare from the start -- you could argue last night's events wouldn't have happened at all.

Posted in Fanatics because the board seemed so lonely.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Medical emergency."
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-27-08 at 09:14 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-08 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

I was really surprised they showed as much as they did with Amanda. It was very disturbing to watch. I was kinda hoping they would've made it more of a private moment for Amanda, but heck it was caught on tape and will increase ratings.

As for Allison, I was susprised they did not show her at all. I found Amanda disturbing, Allison must of have been too disturbing to show on tv.

Also, I am trying to figure out what caused Allison to have her reaction. It appeared no one ate the peanuts....Allison even sat out the challenge. And Allison was not on Slop....why did she have the reaction? Anyone know?

Posted by Snidget on 02-27-08 at 09:38 AM
I know people with nut allergies so severe they can get a reaction from dishes that weren't washed well that held nuts or can run into trouble from a kiss with someone who recently ate nuts.

So there could be indirect contact, rather than direct.

Sounds like she knew enough to make sure they kept an epi pen available for her, but you'd think that if it was that severe they'd be more careful.

There have been recalls where food that was processed on machines that also processed nuts wasn't labeled and people got sick.

There could also be an insect sting she didn't notice, or didn't comment on. I'm not sure if something like pollen could set that off, but you never know.

Just glad my allergies aren't that bad.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-27-08 at 11:32 AM
It seemed to strike Allison while she was running in the courtyard...same location as the peanut pov challenge. Could the smell of peanuts set her off?

Posted by Snidget on 02-27-08 at 11:52 AM
Some can have a reaction with just smell of peanuts, but I would think that would have happened during the POV when the peanuts were present.

I'd suspect there was peanut residue somewhere, she may have gotten it on her hands and then gotten it from there into her mouth rather than left over peanut in the air.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-27-08 at 03:06 PM
>Some can have a reaction with
>just smell of peanuts, but
>I would think that would
>have happened during the POV
>when the peanuts were present.
>
>
>I'd suspect there was peanut residue
>somewhere, she may have gotten
>it on her hands and
>then gotten it from there
>into her mouth rather than
>left over peanut in the
>air.

It's all rather odd to me. She was running than all of a sudden just left the yard. She was touching nothing just jogging.

Posted by Snidget on 02-27-08 at 03:17 PM
Usually for allergy shots the "window" of time for anaphylaxis is about 15-20 minutes.

I don't now how long she was running, it could be on her skin and sweat or licking her lips got it in her mouth.

It is just if she was that sensitive to airborne peanut I'd think she'd have gone into shock during the POV rather than however long it took them to get the backyard cleaned up before she could jog. So much more in the air then, I would think.

If some residue had gotten on a bowl someone handled before washing up when they came in that might have set things off if she drank out of it before coming out to jog.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-28-08 at 12:02 PM
Maybe she tasted slop and slop had peanuts in it. Peanuts she was unaware of. It looked like she jsut started running...but could've been edited....but not long after she started running did she feel something. Also, looked like she had a reaction before and knew exactly what to do if it happened again. I hope my details evolve on this.

Posted by samboohoo on 03-04-08 at 10:08 AM
I too thought it was odd that she was outside watching the POV, but then had the reaction after. And I wonder if it is because somehow she got the residue on her person - maybe she touched something then touched her face, etc. The sweat carried it into her mouth.

The Epipen also threw me. I can't imagine why BB would have peanuts in a contest if a contestant were allergic. I also can't imagine why a contestant, if they were allergic to peanuts - would knowingly sit and observe a challenge that involved peanuts.

So did she disclose her allergy? Was the Epipen hers? Was it a standard item to have on hand? I don't know enough about Epipens to know. Like is it possible there was one there for her for something other than peanuts? Something just doesn't make sense to me.

I've never understood why they went from PB&J to Slop either.

Tribe is pushing up my daisies!

Posted by Snidget on 03-04-08 at 10:21 AM
Usually only people who have had an anaphylactic reaction before would be prescribed an epipen to carry on them.

I don't know if they had it because it is one of her prescriptions or not. (they seem to let people have other prescription meds, I think they've always had to go to the diary room to get them).

Even if no one had any history of a bad reaction like that if I were stocking the emergency medical supplies for a reality TV show (even one with access to quick medical care like BB) I'd have an epipen on hand for the medics/nurses to dispense. Just because it can be a life or death in a few minutes sort of thing it would be a wise thing to have on hand, just in case. A lot of people get their first reaction like that after a bee or wasp sting and so even with no history of a bad allergic reaction like that it wouldn't be surprising that they had one, just in case.

I think it is a pretty standard thing to put in an emergency medical kit used by any sort of professional health care person. I've known medical people that seem to have them as part of their kit, so I'm not surprised to see one on a reality TV show.

I think they PBJ to slop thing was a make people more miserable for more drama thing.

Agman's like a brother, Your best friend forever, Making the sigs, the sigs that you like.

Posted by vince3 on 03-04-08 at 10:29 AM
If I remember right, the move from PB&J to slop was because they were sick of the hamsters complaining about the PB&J food penalty........ "You thought PB&J was bad? Well, here's something worse!"