URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 1379
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Stupid Twist #2: Welcome to Big Brother #1."

Posted by Estee on 07-19-13 at 08:16 AM
Well, let's see. Given the potential nature of the majority of remaining viewers after Aryan Nation chased off those who don't like to spend three hours a week gritting their teeth, we can probably assume there's no way she's going up. And all of her fans will vote Candice onto the block. Or possibly Howard, because he's a man of faith and since that faith is possessed by someone who isn't them, he must be punished.

If you're going to bother voting, do so on the show's website: those aren't charged for. Don't give Grodner any more money than she deserves, and that amount is 'none'. But keep in mind that ultimately, no matter what they say the rules are (Judd not eligible, if the #1 vote getter is already on the block then second place takes the seat and so on down the line), you know who's going up? Whoever the rats want to go up.

As always: it's an excuse for one of the cheapest shows on television to make money which they will in no way spend on the production. They're sure not using to improve next season's casting process.

Or maybe they just want Aryan up that badly...

...nah. It's the money.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Stupid Twist #2: Welcome to Big Brother #1."
Posted by kingfish on 07-19-13 at 08:21 AM
Rumor has it that Grodner keeps the money from the tip jar in the cafeteria.

Posted by Belle Book on 07-19-13 at 12:02 PM
Well, I want Aaryn up pretty badly myself, so I'd be happy to oblige Production. Racist witches should be punished, and I'll do the punishing.

Posted by tribephyl on 07-19-13 at 05:03 PM
From what I gather, America wants a lynching.
CBS is merely pointing a finger at offering up a victim. Of our choosing.
If America were as smart as they say they are they would realize that Aaryn is now the PERFECT final 2 goat for whichever of their favorite HG they want to win. They should keep Aaryn and pick on someone else who deserves to be considered a threat.
Hmmm...I may be forcasting here but me thinks the hamsters may prove to be smarter than America this week. *shudder*

Posted by Estee on 07-19-13 at 06:10 PM
On the other hand if we imagine Endemol is going to keep an honest count and follow their own rules -- yes, I know it's inherently hilarious, work with me here...

...we could get pass-alongs. Let's say the majority of viewers do in fact want Aryan up -- but Judd already did that. This negates her votes. Second place is Kaitlin -- oops, she's up already too. So what voting block dominated the third-place choice? Aryan's fellow non-thinkers -- so up goes Candice.

Oh, what fun.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 07-20-13 at 03:01 AM
I was hoping to see Kim Jong Aryan out this week, simply to see what would happen if the audience had the gumption to boo the evicted HG and if the Chenbot would actually refuse to shake her hand.

You just know she's going up this week. We get reminders every episode of how annoying and pathetic she is, how no one buys her act, how she can't even make amends right. Basically, she's the Eric Cartman of the house right now.

Posted by Aruba on 07-20-13 at 07:06 PM
As openly critical as I am when posters cry "conspiracy theory" when things don't go their way, if Aaryn does not get America's MVP vote for the third nominee, even I might have to say, "something is rotten in the State of Denmark."

Actually I would think that Production is hoping desperately for Aaryn and GinaMarie to make the Jury. By doing so CBS/Julie wouldn't have to address or deal with what's waiting for them back in the "real world." If they make the jury, they would be immediately sequestered and not know their fate until AFTER finale night.

In any event there'll be no booing from the audience. I'm not sure if it was on these Boards or somewhere else on the internet I read post/blog from someone who attended the Finale for BB6. That was the season when Kaysar was America's Darling. The turd herd betrayed Kaysar and as cowards backdoored him leaving his many fans in an uproar.

This writer said before the jury members (some of which were the cowards in this turd herd) were announced and entered the stage, they were FIRMLY instructed that NOOOO booing or jeering would be tolerated when those who betrayed Kaysar were announced.

So I'm pretty sure if/when Aaryn is about to walk out the door, the audience will be given these same instructions.

Posted by Belle Book on 07-21-13 at 11:27 AM
Well, there's always one possible reason for Aaryn not to be the third nominee: if she is nominated by the HOH.

Posted by Aruba on 07-21-13 at 01:18 PM
Yes...and I could see Aaryn as one of Judd's two nominees.

Although I would think we will be told who the highest vote-getter was for America's (MVP's) choice for the third nominee regardless of what happens at the nomination ceremony tonight.

For example if Aaryn was America's Choice and Judd puts up Aaryn tonight, I'm guessing Julie would inform the viewers before picking the players for the POV competition that "Aaryn was the top vote-getter but because she has already been nominated by the HOH we'll need to go to the next highest vote-getter who is..."

Posted by Aruba on 07-26-13 at 08:21 PM

"Actually I would think that Production is hoping desperately for Aaryn and GinaMarie to make the Jury. By doing so CBS/Julie wouldn't have to address or deal with what's waiting for them back in the "real world." If they make the jury, they would be immediately sequestered and not know their fate until AFTER finale night."

OK, assuming CBS/BB still has this "desperate hope," and with Aaryn HOH and GinaMarie unlikely to be put up (and even if America's MVP choice unlikely to be the primary target), what are the chances production will have a jury of nine this season?

In doing so, Aaryn and GM both make the Jury and mission accomplish in preventing both from discovering their fate until the season is officially over.

Posted by Snidget on 07-26-13 at 08:24 PM
I thought I heard someone suggesting earlier in the season there would be nine on the jury...
hmmm

Sexting Alterego by Pepe LePew

Posted by Aruba on 07-26-13 at 08:47 PM
I haven't heard anything about it...but then again I never go into Spoilers. I only participate in Fanatics and Bashers.

"Who's on in third?"
Posted by Estee on 07-22-13 at 09:14 AM
Because with Aryan and KKKaitlin officially up... well, it might be a fair guess that both of them were pretty high in the nomination poll. In fact, there's a very good chance that Aryan was #1 and her couchmate could have prospectively been #2. (And if not, then at least somewhere in the upper half.) That would mean the pick slides down the results until it finds the highest vote-getter who hasn't been nominated yet.

So your challenge is to figure out who America hates second or third-most. And remember, if the viewer-chosen nominee gets and uses the Veto on themselves, we could potentially wind up in fourth.

"RE: Who's on in third?"
Posted by Aruba on 07-22-13 at 08:12 PM
I'm still thinking America voted Aaryn as their nominee, but because Judd already put her up, my guess is GinaMarie would have gotten the second most votes.

Unless POV is an eating competition, I don't see GinaMarie being able to save herself so we probably never know who was next in line.

As long as Aaryn is still on the block come Thursday I'm still hoping for her exit. Although if the Anti-Darwin Snydrome continues to be prevalent as it has been in the first three weeks, this will not look good for Kaitlin who would be perceived as the biggest competition threat out of these nominees.

Posted by Aruba on 07-26-13 at 08:54 PM
Well I'm glad it was reported on Thursday that Aaryn was the clear "winner" of America'a MVP nominee. No surprise there.

But Elissa as the runner-up? I didn't see that coming.

Of course with Kaitlin as the fourth evicted HG, the Anti-Darwin Syndrome is alive and (un)well thus far this season.

Posted by Estee on 07-26-13 at 09:21 PM
Well, now that we're no longer in spoiler territory, let me tell you what the show couldn't bring itself to admit: Elissa's nomination was partially an accident. And mostly stupidity.

From what people have been able to backtrack using several sites, there were a large number of voters casting ballots for Elissa as MVP every week, apparently organized to some degree by Rachel. And on the night the MVP switched to 'America nominates the person with the most (or second or third most) votes', the Mindless Minions saw the MVP notification come up on the screen or the appointed hour arrive and started auto-casting for Elissa -- without paying any attention to what the Chenbot had actually said. They voted for her because it was a new week and it was time to vote for her again.

It must have been interesting, being in the virtual room when the lights finally came on.

Oh, they screamed about it afterwards... the protests can be found if you look closely. But ultimately, it was their own collective fault. They acted instead of thinking, and those extra automatic votes were enough to push Elissa into second or third place. Once Aryan and KKKaitlin were removed from the tally list by Judd's nominations, guess who was next up?

(The FHags watchers -- what's left of the Worsters -- have been laughing about it for the better part of a week, and wondered what it would be like if, say, Idol did a one-week switch to 'And now you're directly voting someone out'. Probably the same thing, only with a lot more screaming.)

It does bring up the question of whether we'll return to a hamster MVP any time soon -- or at all. But honestly, once people start paying attention again, the effect is about the same either way...

Posted by Aruba on 07-27-13 at 08:04 AM
LOL...Interesting. First time I've heard this theory.

I'm sure the "auto-casting" would certainly account for some of Elissa's votes. And I would understand if she placed 4th (for example) as a result. But unless I misunderstood Julie the results were 1st-Aaryn, 2nd-Elissa, and 3rd-GM.

As much as I appropriately bash the morons the CBS idiots cast for BB, part of me wants to believe that most of America is not as stupid as the average CBS Reality Show contestant.

When Elisss'a mug came up on the living room monitor as America's Choice my initial thought was the "love'em or hate'em" principle. Meaning a large number of voters love her, but a large number of voters dislike her with very few in between. In other words, if you drew a line graph on Elissa's popularity with one side of the graph liking her and the other side hating her it would plot out as a bell-curve. Conversely another HG (Jessie for example) would probably plot out a flat line across the graph.

Well one thing is for sure...there should be NO misunderstanding for this week. If Elissa finishes again in the top three, then despite all of Brenchel's whinning and crying foul, I'm going to lean more toward my "bell-curve" theory.

Posted by Estee on 07-27-13 at 09:21 AM
Snidget's theory had this as a sort of Idol situation: Aryan gets an overwhelming percentage of the public vote and every other hamster is left fighting for scraps at the bottom -- which would potentially mean the Mindless Minions threw Elissa just enough accidental votes to edge her over the remaining pack.

Posted by Belle Book on 07-27-13 at 11:12 AM
That's probably what happened: I voted for Aaryn and probably a lot of others did, so she was the overwhelming "winner". Everyone else got the scraps. Elissa might have had some people hating her because of Rachel and if too few Mindless Minions failed to get the memo that America was now the MVP, they could have cast enough votes for her to unwittingly hurt her!

Posted by Aruba on 07-27-13 at 12:39 PM
OK, that makes sense ladies (I'm assuming you're both ladies...if not, my sincere apologies.)

But let's have some more fun with this...could it be possible another core group of "Mindless Minions" went hog wild casting votes this week for Aaryn to be the MVP nominee and in their zealous haste did not full absorb the fact that she is HOH and not eligible to be nominated???

If so, then the runner-up could once again be nominated as the HG with the most remaining "scraps."

Posted by Belle Book on 07-27-13 at 03:52 PM
There might be, but I'm not one of them -- I voted for Howard.

Anyway, I'm a girl, so you don't have to apologize.

Posted by michel on 07-28-13 at 06:13 PM
"most of America is not as stupid as the average CBS Reality Show contestant."

But, despite all the "thank you America" we hear, the voters do not represent "most of America". Most of America doesn't give a crap about BB and certainly doesn't vote. We've seen that the majority of voters are fans of Rachel's. Enough said...

Posted by Aruba on 07-28-13 at 06:40 PM
AHHHH, OK...with the US population over 300 million it is blatantly obvious that "most of America" doesn't care and didn't vote.

"We've seen that the majority of voters are fans of Rachel's."

I haven't...well I've heard the Rachel fans have a block of voters, but until I see how many votes were actually casted for America's nomination, I haven't seen anything yet.

Would anyone on the Board know the number of votes casted and for whom?

Posted by tribephyl on 07-28-13 at 07:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-13 AT 07:59 PM (EST)

Without revealing anything without it airing first.
Rachel's freinds are real. They have influence over the vote mostly because "America" is so scattered with their choices.

America wants Aryan gone.
They also want G-Marie gone.
They also want Elissa gone.
Some even want Amanda to go away.

Rachel's friends want Aryan out. Period. (However, this week they can't.)
BUT, Rachel's friends also want whatever Rachel thinks is best for Elissa.

I checked 8 different polls ranging from 250 voters to 4000 voters and the first MVP Aaryn was indeed first, by a long-shot. An average of 58% lead. Elissa nearly 20%, G-Marie and Amanda received close to 10%.
This week, without being able to vote for Aryan, and without revealing anything before the show airs...the names have changed but the percentages are nearly the same.

Rachel's friends are a real thing and they may very well have some pull and they could very well have influenced the large jump in a particular hamsters numbers.
The main problem for "America" is that "we" are fairly scattered in our choices. Whereas Rachel's friends (regardless of "real" size) are a voting block.
And if America were a hamster, we'd be on the block right now. Without the numbers to keep us in the game

Posted by Aruba on 07-28-13 at 07:57 PM
I'm sure her friends are real...and I'm willing to bet her haters are real also.

I'll wait for the numbers before drawing any conclusions and taking the "nuff said" approach.

Posted by michel on 07-28-13 at 09:44 PM
I'd think that, with Elyssa winning MVP for the first three weeks, it's pretty obvious that the voters are mostly Rachel fans.

Posted by Snidget on 07-29-13 at 07:35 AM
Or just the most cohesive voting block. They don't have to be the majority of the voters, just a bit more consistent and less prone to vote splitting than the rest of the hamsters that didn't come in with a fan base had.

Posted by michel on 07-29-13 at 07:48 AM
"just a bit more consistent and less prone to vote splitting..."

...or brainwashed...

Posted by Snidget on 07-29-13 at 09:51 AM
Wow. just wow.

Brainwashing? So any fan of anyone is just a brainwashed sheep? So the only free thinkers are the trolls that hate everyone?

I don't know if Rachel has the goods to brainwash people, even if she has them in an isolated compound with no access to anyone who isn't spouting Rachelisms.

Posted by kingfish on 07-30-13 at 09:24 AM
Face it. You are brainwashed, Snidget. You have no original opinions, you are incapable of self-originated thought, you are a brainwashed sheep.

And the sooner you recognize and accept this fact, the sooner you will be at peace, and can graze in the field without a worry in the world.

Except for that ram that’s been eyeballing your wooly pelt.

(BTW, this is a lesson in how anything can be turned into sexual innuendo. You're welcome.)

King“Doctor Phil”Fish

Posted by michel on 07-30-13 at 09:39 PM
>Wow. just wow.
>
>Brainwashing? So any fan of
>anyone is just a brainwashed
>sheep? So the only
>free thinkers are the trolls
>that hate everyone?
>
>I don't know if Rachel has
>the goods to brainwash people,
>even if she has them
>in an isolated compound with
>no access to anyone who
>isn't spouting Rachelisms.

I should return the "wow" because I clearly added the "or brainwashed" to your possibilities so I wasn't talking about everyone. However, considering that the premise of the MVP was to vote for the "Best player of the week" there is obviously a large contingent of Rachel's fantards that voted for Elyssa blindly, not even considering that she is a terrible player.

PS. The fact that many voted for Elyssa as MVP when they were being asked to vote for a nominee also clearly showed that there were many brainwashed (or brain dead) voters.

Posted by Snidget on 07-30-13 at 09:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-30-13 AT 09:59 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 07-30-13 AT 09:58 PM (EST)

Since when has America ever done as told and voted for the best of anything on any show?

It is a popularity contest and Elissa had an advantage in that her sister has fans.

Every "America votes" is a popularity contest, not a vote for the best, just the favorite.

ETA: I do think some of Rachel's fans (could be from the Amazing Race) were voting based on tweet shout outs and may not have really paid attention to show to know the "vote for Elissa again" campaign was misplaced.

ETAA: And it wouldn't be the first time someone with fans from an entirely different show got people who don't watch the current show to vote for them when they are not at all what should be rewarded on a show as "good".

Posted by michel on 07-30-13 at 10:34 PM

>Since when has America ever done
>as told and voted for
>the best of anything on
>any show?
>It is a popularity contest and
>Elissa had an advantage in
>that her sister has fans.

Obviously and CBS was counting on it. One could say that the twist was rigged for Elyssa, knowing that there were many sheep following Rachel's campaign.

I could understand Elyssa winning the first week but 3 in a row? There are some interesting characters this season (Helen, Andy...) that should have gained more popularity after week 1. Call them brainwashed, brain dead, fantards, whatever, there has to be a few of them voting for Elyssa.

>Every "America votes" is a popularity
>contest, not a vote for
>the best, just the favorite.

Yes, even the presidential one. Maybe there should be an Electoral College to sort out these votes!

>ETAA: And it wouldn't be the
>first time someone with fans
>from an entirely different show
>got people who don't watch
>the current show to vote
>for them when they are
>not at all what should
>be rewarded on a show
>as "good".

Isn't it dumb to vote for someone without any idea about the issues? Shouldn't one take time to get informed before voting? If one blindly gives a vote away then isn't one acting as if having been brainwashed?

Posted by Snidget on 07-30-13 at 10:48 PM
Well if America voted based on being informed I think from political elections on down we'd see much different results.

Reality TV show voting has always been, in every case, a popularity contest.

And I agree it wasn't fair to have only one hamster with a built in voting block going into the house.

Once they won a MVP her voters probably kept voting because the had evidence they could win. Just like the can't dance person on DWTS with the built in fan base stays on for way too long. They have people voting for non-dance reasons, and once they save them once, they feel empowered to prove they can do it again.

And it isn't like BB has to be fair, or has ever been fair, heck, even the regulators say it doesn't have to be.

Posted by michel on 07-31-13 at 09:57 PM
Popularity, fairness...I think we are getting off track here. I've never said that it wasn't a popularity contest or that BB was fair.

I said that some of the people that voted for Elyssa had done so simply because they did what Rachel wanted. I called it brainwashing and your explanations don't make those voters look smarter. Voting for someone that can't dance on a dance show? Thankfully, I don't watch that crap. Now, if I could find the cure for BB...

Posted by Snidget on 07-31-13 at 10:16 PM
If you find that BB cure...

Well it just seemed you didn't understand why someone could vote because they were a fan rather than because of whatever non-popularity based criteria the production staff invents.

At least SYTYCD generally only has good dancers on it and sells its winner as America's Favorite Dancer.

I just think brainwashing implies the person asking for the votes has more control over the minions than they really do. Most of the minions are a bit too fickle to be suffering from real brainwashing and any avoidance of anyone with a different viewpoint is voluntary.

Now that you are a rabid fantarding minion doesn't imply intelligence, but it doesn't mean the source of the irrational devotion is deliberately forcing the minions to be in their rabid fantarding groupie group rather than someone else's rabid fantarding groupie group.

Posted by michel on 08-01-13 at 06:40 PM
>Well it just seemed you didn't
>understand why someone could vote
>because they were a fan
>rather than because of whatever
>non-popularity based criteria the production
>staff invents.

Now that's funny!

>I just think brainwashing implies the
>person asking for the votes
>has more control over the
>minions than they really do.
> Most of the minions
>are a bit too fickle
>to be suffering from real
>brainwashing and any avoidance of
>anyone with a different viewpoint
>is voluntary.

You obviously have a more optimistic opinion of the average viewer than I do. I know you are busy recapping the show for the ECST but do you ever read the tweets that CBS posts during the show? It shows the intellectual level of those viewers that waste time voting for MVP, nominees and have-not menus.

Why do these hamsters even have fans? I mean, I can understand someone finding Rachel amusing, even finding her good looking but going as far as becoming a fan? I guess it's a symptom of this messed up society where people like Bieber, Minaj and Kardashian are huge stars.

There are a lot of idiots in the masses that feed on pop culture as if it was the nec plus ultra. It doesn't take much to convince idiots to do what you want them to do.

>Now that you are a rabid
>fantarding minion doesn't imply intelligence,
>but it doesn't mean the
>source of the irrational devotion
>is deliberately forcing the minions
>to be in their rabid
>fantarding groupie group rather than
>someone else's rabid fantarding groupie
>group.

Really? Rachel would freak out if her minions tweeted that they wanted Elissa out of the house. I'm sure she told her fans: "If you like me, vote for Elissa."

Posted by Snidget on 08-01-13 at 07:04 PM
Yes, but Rachel did not create the fans by locking them in her basement or making them turn the tv off if any other hamster was on it. She might hate on someone that tweets they can't stand her sister, but really, what is she doing to people to enforce compliance? Real brainwashing takes a lot of hard work I don't think Rachel would do.

You can say people are stupid for being a rabid fan of any reality star, but people still get to chose who they use their stupidity on.

Now sometimes the production will edit someone to help them get more fans, or be more hated than their raw footage would cause. (why often the feedsters have different preferences than those that just watch the edited shows).

Of course if the ratings would indicate that a lot more people would tune in to watch sane, normal people making rational, reasoned decisions...

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 07:53 AM

>Of course if the ratings would
>indicate that a lot more
>people would tune in to
>watch sane, normal people making
>rational, reasoned decisions...

Actually, they do. The ratings for TAR are better but even more people watch sports where mostly sane people make rational, reasoned decisions...and dumb ones also.

Posted by Aruba on 07-29-13 at 08:52 AM
"I'd think that, with Elyssa winning MVP for the first three weeks, it's pretty obvious that the voters are mostly Rachel fans."

Elissa won MVP the first two weeks...the third week she was runner-up to be nominated.

I NEVER questioned the fact Rachel's fans have a cohesive voting block. That's why she won MVP the first two weeks. Although IMO I doubt strongly that MOST of the votes are from Rachel's posse. I'm still hanging on to my "bell-curve" theory that a fair amount of voters dislike her as well as evident with her week three nomination.

Because of the fan base block I'd be surprised if she ever finished FIRST in any America's MVP vote for nomination, but with the Rachel haters out there I could see her finishing second or third every week for the 3rd nominee voting.

Posted by Aruba on 07-29-13 at 09:03 AM
Whoops...correction. MVP first three weeks and runner-up for nominee in week four. Either way, still supports my "bell-curve" theory.

Posted by michel on 07-30-13 at 09:58 PM
You don't need a "bell-curve" theory, you only have to go to Sucks to see that every player has both a love and a hate thread with hundreds of entries in each, most consisting of fans telling haters to drop dead and vice versa!!!!

Rachel had fans and haters also but there were many comments on CBS.com from voters who realized too late that they had made a mistake, thinking they were voting for MVP when they voted that fourth week.

Elyssa is a terrible player so she wouldn't have gotten the MVP once if she wasn't Rachel's sister. However, she would get some votes for nominee even if she was unknown.

Posted by Aruba on 07-31-13 at 10:48 AM
Understand I'm not saying a HG has NO ONE who likes them or NO ONE who dislikes them. What the "bell-curve" theory suggests is a decent amount of fans who like them, a decent amount of BB fans who hate them, and VERY few in between. This season Elissa supports this theory more so than any other hamster in the house IMO. And yes, being Rachel's sister contributes to the high numbers on both sides.

"every player has both a love and a hate thread with hundreds of entries in each..."

Are you insinuating that the "hundreds" constitutes a fairly equal number of both love and hate for EVERY player? If not, than I have NO idea why you bring it up to respond to my post because I never indicated that in my post(s) and as mentioned above that's NOT what the bell-curve theory suggests.

There's NOOOOO way you will convince me (or most any viewer) that Aaryn lovers (if they even exist) mirrors the number of Aaryn haters. I could say the same for GM. No bell-curve with these HGs.

I also feel there's several "flatliners" as of week 4. Jessie and Andy would definitely be flatliners. No bell-curve with these HGs. I'd even say before Judd won HOH, he'd be a flatliner too.

Conversely, I believe Helen is being shown as "America's Darling" thus far and no way I would believe the number of haters are remotely close to the number of lovers. No bell-curve here either.

"Elyssa is a terrible player so she wouldn't have gotten the MVP once if she wasn't Rachel's sister."

I agree; no debate here.

"However, she would get some votes for nominee even if she was unknown.

Not sure what you mean by "some votes." I suspect everyone's getting "some" votes. But make not mistake about it, the overwhelming number of votes she got to be week 4 nominee was because BB fans dislike Rachel; not because Elissa's a "terrible player." Personally I don't think being a great or terrible player factors into the criteria most fans are using to vote.

Aaryn and GM were in the top three because they are racist bigots, not because of any gameplay (or lack thereof.)

Posted by michel on 07-31-13 at 10:15 PM
Then, instead of creating a "theory" why not simply say that some characters are polarizing while others are boring?

Posted by Aruba on 08-01-13 at 06:13 PM

"...why not simply say that some characters are polarizing while others are boring?"

Because A) it's not that "simple," and B) it's not an either/or proposition.

Yes there are "boring" HGs. Jessie is boring as heck. If Elissa was not Rachel's sister she's be boring too (except when doing her Yoga of course.)

Jeremy was definitely polarizing. Historically other characters were polarizing also ( i.e. ED, Jase, and Lydia & Ronnie the Rat from BB11 to name a few.)

But SO many HGs (past and present) do not fall into either category. It's not that cut and dry.

Cases in point:

I think Helen is playing the best game thus far. My only criticism is the power may be going to her head and she might be playing too hard now, but hey...at least she's playing! So I would not say she's "boring" OR "polarizing."

Ho-manda is McCrea's skanky whore. Is that boring? No. Is it polarizing? No. It's...well...being a skanky ho. And apparently a fair share of America share my assessment otherwise she would not be America's MVP nominee.

My point being "bell-curve" (love'em or hate'em) is just ONE of many ways to assess a HG in the game of BB. Other ways would include boring or polarizing (just as you stated) as well as, skanky, proactive player who gives 100%, etc., etc.

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 07:58 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-02-13 AT 06:43 PM (EST)

Of course there are more than two types of characters. I was just referring to your bell hops and flat-liners.

As for Amanda, I believe she was the nominee mostly because Aaryn was HOH and the fight she had with Elissa. People generally like the showmances. Rachel, Jordan, Romber and even Parvati were very popular.

ETA: I don't like your misuse of the bell curve because it is a mathematical tool to demonstrate the random distribution of one variable around an average value. Here, you have hate on one side of your curve, love on the other and no average value in the middle. That, by definition, constitutes two opposite poles, not a Gaussian curve.

Posted by kingfish on 08-02-13 at 08:16 AM
Included would also be the fact that Amanda was so anti-Howard, who was viewed as a guy with class.

If she isn't HoH this week, and she isn't nominated to go on the block by the HoH, I think the odds are better than even that she will be America's nom. again, especially considering that speech she gave after Howard was booted.

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 06:32 PM
Agreed, the fight with Howard also played a bigger role than her showmance with McCrae. I believe however that Aaryn will be the nominee every week that she is eligible.

Posted by Aruba on 08-02-13 at 07:59 PM
"I believe however that Aaryn will be the nominee every week that she is eligible."

Hard to debate that statement and wouldn't be surprised if she is America's nomination on Wednesday (assuming she's not put up on the block by the HOH on Sunday.)

It will be interesting to see if she's garnished even a little support by not reneging on her deal. And it wasn't with just any HG...it was with Helen, quite arguably the most popular player this season thus far.

You think keeping her word with Helen might be just enough to drop her out of top vote-getter for America's nominee this week???

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 08:32 PM
My guess is that Aaryn will be the nominee because of the racism and because that's who Elissa wants voted out.

Posted by Aruba on 08-02-13 at 07:38 PM
No question if Aaryn was not HOH she would have received the most votes. But she was HOH and with that fact in mind, voters had to nominate a HG among the remaining 11.

Yes people generally like showmances...but I didn't mentioned the word "showmance" when referencing Ho-manda. I said she was a skank and people generally do NOT like skanks.

Jordan and Amb"a" were involved in showmances. They developed strong feelings for another player and even stole a kiss from them every now and then. To put that in the same category as how Ho-manda is behaving is ludicrous.

Anyway I said a "fair share" of voters probably targeted Ho-manda because of her skanky behavior...not ALL of them. Her spat with Elissa as a big reason for her nomination is really a reach...although I do agree with Kingfish that being Anti-Howard played a big role in her being nominated as well.

"ETA: I don't like your misuse of the bell curve because it is a mathematical tool to demonstrate the random distribution of one variable around an average value. Here, you have hate on one side of your curve, love on the other and no average value in the middle. That, by definition, constitutes two opposite poles, not a Gaussian curve."

HUH...WHAT???!!!
Have you been getting advice from Howard on how to get your point across????? ROFLMAO
GEEZ, all I'm trying to say is with a "bell-curve" you have a large number of people liking you, a large number of people disliking you with very little in between.

I TRULY believe the average reader knows EXACTLY what I'm trying to convey without your advanced placement mathematics mumbo-jumbo. LOL

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 08:27 PM
Advanced placement mathematics? No, simple statistics.

Let me try it slowly:

- A large number of people like you => One side of the spectrum.
- A large number of people dislike you => Opposite side of the spectrum.

So, you have a large number of people on the negative end, a large number on the positive end but zero (or close to it) in the middle. In any bell curve, the highest value is attained in the middle but here we have zero viewers in the middle, the ones that don't care either way. Capisce?

I wonder what makes Amanda a ho considering that her feelings for McCrae seem as genuine as Amber's or Jordan's. I also joyfully noticed that you forgot to mention Parvati in your reply. She is very popular among Survivor fans and that must still irk you!

Posted by Aruba on 08-02-13 at 09:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-02-13 AT 09:37 PM (EST)

Capisce????

AHHHH, not really. But don't sweat it, math and science were my weakest subjects.

It's not her feelings that makes her a ho...it's how she acts on her feelings. I'm not sold on how "genuine" Ho-manda's feelings are quite yet. This whole engagement/wedding in the House nonsense with someone with whom you didn't even know their existence a month ago is a bonafide joke IMO. Jeff and Jordan have been an item for a couple years now, and Rob and Amb"a" have a wedding certificate and two kids to show for it.

We've gone through the Perv-ati analogy a zillion times already which is why I didn't mention her now, but will "joyfully" recap.
It's hard to truly gauge Perv-ati on the skank-ameter because without soap, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste and mouthwash on Survivor it makes the comparison apples-to-oranges when comparing her to skanks on BB.
And let's not forget she had her share of critics as well for her behavior, so I am not irked in the least.

Posted by michel on 08-02-13 at 11:28 PM

>Capisce????
>
>AHHHH, not really. But don't sweat
>it, math and science were
>my weakest subjects.

Ok, I'll make it simpler: You're describing a dromedary but what we really have is a camel!

Posted by Aruba on 08-03-13 at 06:22 AM
Then maybe you can stand on your head when you look at my "camel." This way it will put you on the same page as the other 99.999% who understand exactly what I'm saying.

Posted by kingfish on 08-03-13 at 09:03 AM
You're just not good at math, as you mention.

Count me in your .001%.

Actually, no one can understand exactly what you are trying to say.

Posted by Aruba on 08-03-13 at 09:54 AM
OK...let me explain it better...

Voters are going to rank someone or something on a scale of 1 to 5. One being they really like and five being they really dislike.

Now image a graph where the X-axis (horizontal line) is numbered 1 - 5 across the axis. And a Y-axis (vertical line) showing the number of voters casting their vote.

In a "love'em or hate'em" proposition, a lot of voters really liking (1) a lot of voters really disliking (5) and very few in between (3), the point for 1 would be high on the graph, 2 would be a little lower, 3 would be the lowest, 4 would begin to skew upward, and 5 would be high pretty close to the level of 1.

Now draw a line to connect the dots...and WALLA!!!!!...guess what...you get a bell shaped curve!

Posted by Round Robin on 08-04-13 at 05:53 AM
Your bell curve is upside down. That's why nobody understands you.

Posted by michel on 08-04-13 at 12:53 PM
Aruba did say that I should stand on my head!

PS. Walla? Your French also needs a refresher. It's "Voilà".

Posted by Aruba on 08-04-13 at 04:24 PM
"Aruba did say that I should stand on my head!

Thanks Michel!
I was going to reiterate that statement but I figured why continue to beat a dead horse. Enough was enough.

"PS. Walla? Your French also needs a refresher. It's "Voilà".

I consider myself a "mutt" (have about six different decents in my heritage) but French is not one of them. Thanks for the correction, although I can't find the "a" with an accent on my keyboard???

Posted by michel on 08-04-13 at 10:14 PM

PS. To get an "à" try pressing "AltCar 133"

Posted by Snidget on 08-05-13 at 07:48 AM
What you are describing is a bimodal distribution. Where you have more than one peak in the distribution.

Now sometimes what lies between can look like an upside down bell curve..