URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1376
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Amazing Race Family series"

Posted by extra on 09-22-06 at 09:11 AM
We are watching this program in South Africa and have watched all the previous series which were very enjoyable.
This family series so far has been disappointing as most of it has been in the US. Only once so far it has taken the participants to South America. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF THE WORLD!
The fact the partipants are Americans and they have been competing in the US has made it a lot easier to be able to navigate using ENGLISH. Is it because the producers felt it would have been tough on the youngsters that they arrived at this decision? The whole idea is that this was originally designed to be and Amazing Race world wide. I believe it has become boring and dull to watch this series.
It will be interesting to have views from other viewers.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Amazing Race Family series"
Posted by donracefan on 09-22-06 at 12:24 PM
I believe you are referencing season 8 which was widely criticized by loyal fans here in the US. It was awful. I can't imagine that they would do another one since their ratings suffered so terribly from it and they still haven't recovered a lot of lost viewers. Therefore, even though you didn't mention it, I'm guessing you are talking about season 8. Beware...stop watching now...it only gets worse.

Posted by architecturegirl on 09-22-06 at 04:55 PM
I agree with donracefan - I am a loyal Amazing Race fan, have watched every season - except that one. I watched two episodes of that season and tuned out.
I guess the higher ups at CBS wanted it. Even though the Amazing Race people didnt really like the idea, they had to do what their "bosses" wanted - and it really backfired. They lost a ton of viewers, and are still trying to get them back.
No worries - the Race came back in its true form the following season, and its sticking to it again this season.

Posted by Judd on 09-22-06 at 10:29 PM
the only reason i liked that season was that the weavers were on it - every time i watched them i knew i would have something to gripe about and another golden quote that showed off their stupidity - "God must not have spent much time on this state." (referring to Utah's beautiful rock formations)

the only reason i want another family edition is that my family would apply to do it and that would be fun to win.

Posted by Goofman on 09-23-06 at 10:53 PM
Judd I agree, it was worth watching the Weavers and getting a laugh out of her and her comments like Lake Pontchartrain

Posted by foonermints on 09-23-06 at 11:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-06 AT 00:36 AM (EST)

It was THE REASON I stopped watching. I'm still a bit leery of the new one here in the US. Let's just ask the Gnome what HE thought..

It's a BioHazard! Sorry it's been exported to you. *sobs horribly* *tears out hair*

etf: "leary" Not the Jet, Not Timothy.. just had to get a grip on the King's English.
*kicks apostrophe*

Posted by Seana on 09-24-06 at 05:32 PM
Well, actually the Paolos amused me no end.

But it was my thought, as I was watching it, that the Family Edition was not intended so much as a world race as it was some sort of family vacation tour of the States.

I believe that dabo, one of our regular posters, said it best when he commented that this should have been marketed differently.

Eg: From the producers of The Amazing Race: "The Great American Road Trip." or something along those lines. (I can't remember exactly - sorry dabo.)

Done correctly, it had potential, I thought. Clearly, the majority of viewers believed it was not done correctly.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-24-06 at 08:24 PM
I agree, done just a little diffirently - even with the same families, it could have been great.

I really like the fact they did thier own driving and got lost on thier own merits instead of the luck of the draw taxi cab drivers.

Better clues like TAR1 or TreasureHunters would have help a lot.

I would have loved to seen tasks shown that kids would do better at than adults for example.

More tasks, instead of just going places - I was expecting them to assemble a chair or cobble shoes for example.

Posted by dabo on 09-25-06 at 00:53 AM
Yeah, that's what I said, best as I can recall. I actually didn't hate Family TAR but it seemed to me it should have been the summer substitute series. Still, watching little kids go through getting eliminated from a reality TV show, that was heartbreaking every time. And it wasn't fair that some teams had juveniles and others didn't, if they do it again either have no one below 18 or require every team to have at least one juvenile.

That said, Rolly impressed the heck out of me, that is one great kid.

Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 09-25-06 at 12:03 PM
Ahh yes, Rolly.
How could we forget our favorite flying monkey!

Tribephylanthropy!
Space For Rent.

Posted by KeithFan on 09-25-06 at 01:43 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-06 AT 01:44 AM (EST)

Lemme guess, AOL dialup?

Just kidding 'extra'- I agree with you completely

Posted by maryellennaco on 09-25-06 at 12:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-06 AT 12:13 PM (EST)

The Family Edition was okay as far as I'm concerned. It WAS really hard to watch the younger kids when they got philiminated, expecially that one family with that little girl. She made the show, I thought.
OTOH, I absolutely wanted someone to strangle the ENTIRE Weaver family (except for Monkey Boy, of course) and it drove me up the wall when they were exhorting Jesus to help them find a clue box. Yowza! Did they suck or what???

ETA:sp. It's monday!