URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1365
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Horrible Twist"

Posted by silentJ on 09-17-06 at 10:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-17-06 AT 10:44 PM (EST)

When the producers were brainstorming for this season's big twist did they squelch the ones that would have made the show more interesting? They neede to come up with a reason to keep all the teams until episode two, not philiminate an extra one, and the most interesting team in the race at that. When Phil asked the guys to step onto the mat, I thought they were going to lose all there cash and extra clothes. That would have been a great first episode twist. Cutting two teams we never got to meet is such a bad idea.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Horrible Twist"
Posted by dragonflies on 09-17-06 at 10:46 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-17-06 AT 10:47 PM (EST)

Agreed. And so much for cultural diversity. Although we still have the Kentuckians.

Make this the best day of your life!

etf extra siggie

Posted by mysticwolf on 09-17-06 at 11:03 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-17-06 AT 11:07 PM (EST)

The show hasn't finished on the west coast yet. You may want to join the discussion thread in Spoilers Forum until it does at 11:30 EST. Until then it's considered spoiler material.

Autumn by Tribe blogging's scary

Edit to add west coast finishing time.

Posted by flipxcyd on 09-18-06 at 00:25 AM
Agreed. TAR got rid of two of the few interesting teams right then and there. I was hoping Vipul & Arti could have at least lost their money and see them again.

An arkiegrl siggie

Posted by Seana on 09-18-06 at 00:45 AM
Yeah, I'd have like to see more of Vipul and Arti, too.

But I'm kind of hoping that one of the twists is that there's a new penalty for coming in last on a non-elimination leg. I just never liked the begging for money thing.

Posted by dabo on 09-18-06 at 01:10 AM
Agree, the begging thing was never all that interesting.

Worst twist, though, was bringing back gross numnums. But I suppose I should be happy they didn't have to eat a gutbusting pile of fish eyes.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-18-06 at 01:11 PM
You call that gross? The eyeballs are small and will go down fast, it is not like you have to chew/taste them. Plus my mom was lamenting that she was not there, she LOVES sucking on fishheads - eyes, brains, flesh - she LOVES it all!

Posted by dabo on 09-18-06 at 01:23 PM
Oh, gosh, let me think... eyeballs getting plucked from disembodied heads and eaten... yeah, if that doesn't qualify as a gross numnum I'd be hard-pressed to think of what would.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-19-06 at 00:03 AM
Growing up with my parents and seeing some of the things they enjoy, fish eyes were the least gross things i seen them see.

Try Manish Water, Chicken feet (not the leg the foot), Chicken heads, Stinking Toe, Stewed (not fried) tripe. And that is just my Jamacian roots, since I was born in England, add Blood Sauage and Blood Pudding. Great GrandDad was Scottish so add Haggis to list. And even further back I have Irish blood, leading to the worse of the worse ---- Green Beer!!!

Posted by dabo on 09-19-06 at 00:39 AM
LOL! Earl, I'm pretty certain every culture in the world has in its heritage what I would refer to as gross numnums. That doesn't bother me, enjoy your heritage and all the gross numnums that go with it.

My dad grew up way out in the middle of nowhere, they raised and slaughtered their own livestock and hunted critters to fill the larder and so on, never let anything go to waste, that's how they survived year by year. Ever had tripe? Head cheese? Chitterlings? Possum pie? (Possums are quite probably the mangiest critters on the planet.) Or (((shudder))) soy bean soup?

The point is that they had a gross numnums challenge, someone was bound to find it repulsive, that's precisely and only why they did it. I don't find that sort of thing entertaining at all.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-19-06 at 04:11 PM
Gross, does not bug me. But the size of some of the meals does.

Eyeballs only was barely a mouthful. Unless you are alergies to fish, no big deal. But the Russian meal of two pounds of caviar, that is a lot of salt to take in. The South America meal of about 5 pounds of meat, I don't eat that much meat even it it was all prime ribs or T-Bones - that is a lot of aminal protein to digest.

Some of the meals are just not gross, they are a major bio-chemical stress to the body of the one eating.

Posted by dabo on 09-19-06 at 06:55 PM
Yeah, that's true, I bet they were all hungry again an hour later.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-18-06 at 01:06 PM
I was hoping for something like an extra task that they had to complete to catch up with the other teams for the first non-pitstop elimination, and I never expected the second one to be an elimination also! That was definatly a "hand me all you got" point in the race.

I understand the Muslims had thier problem keeping up with the others because of prayer breaks, but Vipul and Arti looked like they just needed a little shock to make it clear they were in a race, taking away thier belongings may have been a shock needed to get them going. I am very sorry to see them gone.

Posted by bondt007 on 09-18-06 at 10:44 AM
TAR didn't get rid of anyone, they just came in last.

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

Charter Member, April 2001; Club Anti-DAW

Posted by zipperhead on 09-18-06 at 09:31 AM
You know what would be a cool new twist? If they bring one of the eliminated teams back.

Posted by Padme on 09-18-06 at 10:34 AM
I think it would have been neat if the last team on that mat would have been shot to first place in the next leg. Now THAT woulda been cool!

Posted by jbug on 09-18-06 at 10:45 AM
>I think it would have been
>neat if the last team
>on that mat would have
>been shot to first place
>in the next leg.
>Now THAT woulda been cool!
>

I was on the edge of my chair expecting that to happen too! Was anxious to see the reactions of the other racers. I was NOT expecting them to get Philim'd right off the bat like that. That was not a good twist.

Posted by brvnkrz on 09-19-06 at 11:14 PM
That's what I thought was going to happen too.

Posted by Cyndimaus on 09-18-06 at 11:19 AM
I thought it would have been cool if they had been given something that would help them in the race instead of a penalty. It would have been totally unexpected. Maybe a 15 minute lead on everyone else or something they could use later in the race. Not really fair but it would have been unexpected.

Last team eliminated was boring except that everyone else was there watching and were totally shocked.

Sigs by Cyg
Maus Musings

Posted by Max Headroom on 09-18-06 at 01:10 PM
What a rotten idea. Couldn't the twist have been to HAVE ONE LESS NON-ELIM LEG?? If they were going to Philiminate two teams in leg 1, I guess they needed to add a 12th team, but why bother? We never got to know either Bilal/Sa'eed or Vipul/Arti, so what did the producers gain from this twist?

I'm stumped. Someone please fill me in.

Posted by Jims02 on 09-19-06 at 10:26 AM
I agree.

While I like that they gave one extra team a chance, it didn't make sense to eliminate them so rapidly, and then make us sit through 2 or 3 non-elimination legs. They should've just cast Bilal & Sa'eed and then eliminated a NEL leg, in my opinion.

Posted by ARnutz on 09-19-06 at 12:24 PM
I also agree. One less non-elim would've been way better than this!

...and if they really wanted to have this "twist", why didn't they throw it in the middle of the race? They could've easily snuck it in between two non-elim legs or something. That would've been better, I think.

"Disagree"
Posted by newsomewayne on 09-18-06 at 01:13 PM
I thought it was a great twist. It didn't really make for great TV because Phil was wayyyy too apologetic for it. This was the time for Phil to play the a-hole host but he failed. But still a great twist. You know viewers are not the only ones who can forsee bunch points. I'm sure the racers have an idea when one is approaching, too. Now instead of playing it safe, racers will be forced to race hard the whole race. I doubt it got the reaction the producers were hoping for at the time, but I would be willing to bet it affects how the racers compete from here on out. Probably a lot less teamwork between the teams.

Silence suggested by Syren, 2005

"Disagree also"
Posted by michel on 09-19-06 at 10:00 AM
Instead of the casting directors having to make the final cut of a team we'd never have seen, they gave all 12 a shot. There are always alternates and it is possible that until very late, one team wasn't sure to make it. An alternate could've been kept on hold maybe as late as a week prior to the start. Instead of saying "better luck next time", they made late arrangements for an additional team and put in that mid-leg elimination. Even if it was planned all along, we did get to meet each one so it was still a good idea. Better than Survivor Palau where 20 were casted for an 18 player game. The first two eliminated had much less of a chance than Bilal and Sa'eed. I also agree that it will make each team worry before the usual bunching points.

"RE: Disagree also"
Posted by silentJ on 09-19-06 at 06:30 PM
If that's the case, they should have just booked 11 flights and eliminated the idiots that couldn't find the airport in a major American city. Would have saved the producers $5000 too.

"The Math?"
Posted by mrc on 09-20-06 at 09:47 AM
Am I wrong, but aren't we right back where we usually are in terms of non-elim legs?

12 teams + 8 elim. pit stops = 4 teams at the end.

But since we've eliminated Team Islam and Team Good Looks, we're down to 10 teams + 7 more elim. pit stops = 3 teams in the end.

In other words, if the teams do their math, then they know that what happened to Team Islam won't happen again, so this doesn't change any strategy.

Or should I stick to teaching history?

What is Phil's golf equipment?

"RE: The Math?"
Posted by newsomewayne on 09-20-06 at 10:43 AM
... if the teams do their math, then they know ...

You may be right, but ask Bolo about TAR racers' ability to do math.

Silence suggested by Syren, 2005

Posted by volsfan on 09-21-06 at 09:54 PM
I have it taped but I don't think Phil said how many pit stops there were...just how many non-elims.

Posted by udg on 09-22-06 at 00:29 AM
Phil said there would be 8 elim pit stops. He didn't say how many non-elims or how many pit stops total.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by dabo on 09-22-06 at 02:09 AM
It's really a limited season that has to conclude before Christmas special and whatnot season, the observation about the math is valid.

Gawd forbid TAR gets in the way of the annual broadcast of "You're a mean one, Mister Grinch!"

Posted by cahaya on 09-21-06 at 11:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-21-06 AT 11:25 PM (EST)

Of course, we could have one or more extra NEL's (non-elimination legs) combined with the same number of DEL's (double-elimination legs).

Foo dogs by Tribe

That would be scary, and frustrating to watch.

Posted by Tahj on 09-22-06 at 11:59 AM
And who knows, maybe they'll let one of the early eliminated teams come back.

Wait, this isn't the Project Runway forum is it. Never mind.

Tribe rocked my sig!

"Time to re-visit this topic..........."
Posted by aquariaqueen on 12-10-06 at 04:42 PM
Was I the only one who thought we may see this stunt again?
Only then would it gained a tiny bit of credence for allowing it the first episode.

Sorry, this was a big mistake. Robbing someone before they even got a chance...

Thanks to Seana for my sigpic!!!