URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 135
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Interesting ROckStar info from MelodicRock.com"

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 08-31-05 at 11:59 AM
ROCKSTAR: INXS:
I've had a lot of e-mails regarding Rockstar: Inxs. Some love it, some loathe it! I can see it both ways as I'm kinda in the middle. Sure, it beats the hell out of the Idol shows, but it features a few flaws.
It's great to see a show based around rock songs, but personally speaking, they are killing it with some super-lame song selections. The show's obsession with modern rock artists and more so Nirvana and REM songs really bugs me. It is obvious they are trying to target a set audience (with other selections including Live, Foo Fighters and Tonic), but are those people really the same people that spent the last 20 years buying Inxs records? I think not...Sadly, the show has been void of any 80's pop/rock which made Inxs a household name.
Another point is the almost futile weekly eliminations. The choices have been really obvious. There is some great talent on show here and credit for the producers to uncover a strong line-up to drive the show - certainly more consistent than the other music reality shows - but in the end, there have only been 2 or 3 real contenders for the lead singer role. I have really enjoyed watching these folks sing, but MiG, Marty and JD are the only 3 truly in the running for this job. Ty is cool also - as are a couple of the gals, but they are never seriously going to be considered.
Then there is the long standing rumor that the last name selected for the show is already in the band. Aussie singer MiG was the 15th person selected for the show, but several rumors suggest it was predetermined that he shall be the last an standing. Time will tell!
Ok, so that's my brief thoughts on the show to date...last week was a pretty solid show - great to see Cold As Ice given proper treatment and Baby I Love Your Way the week before was utterly sensational. I also loved Ty's run through of Benatar's Heartbreaker earlier in the show's run.
Here's a couple of press releases from the show in recent weeks. Good to see the viewer numbers rising. All in all – great PR for the band, which was the whole point of the exercise.

Reality guru rocking into diskery biz. Burnett tunes in to record business. By PHIL GALLO.
Reality TV guru Mark Burnett is extending his domain into recorded music, launching Burnett Records to release a compilation of perfs from the CBS skein "Rock Star: INXS."
Burnett Records, distributed by Sony BMG's Epic Records, will release Rock Star: Live at the Mayan Theatre on Sept. 20, the day INXS selects a new lead singer on the "Rock Star" show.
Live at the Mayan will feature songs from the 15 finalists on "Rock Star: INXS." Another live recording is being made Sunday featuring the six remaining singers performing with the show's house band and, in some cases, a string section.
Imprint has the rights to all of the performances recorded for the show, just as 19 Entertainment has rights to perfs on "American Idol." Deal between Simon Fuller's 19 and J Records/RCA has lapsed, and the company is talking to several diskeries about striking a new deal.
Epic Records has penciled in a release date of Dec. 13 for Inxs first album with the new singer. Burnett Records, meanwhile, has the right of first refusal to record any of the contestants not selected to lead the band, said Conrad Riggs, Burnett's business partner in Mark Burnett Prods.
Depending on the success of the first release, Burnett Records may issue a second compilation. Perfs are sold as downloads on the MSN Music Web site. RCA has issued four "American Idol" compilations; the most recent one, American Idol Season 4: The Showstoppers, was released in May and has sold 300,000 copies.
Show eliminated a "rocker," as the contestants are called, Wednesday night, bringing the pool of finalists to six. Episode was watched by 6.2 million viewers.
While it's possible the continuation of the INXS saga will become another series, Riggs said several bands have approached Burnett Prods. about doing a second season of the show. "Some need lead singers, and some aren't happy with the ones they have," he said.

CBS' Rock Star Monday Moves to VH1 By John Eggerton, Broadcasting & Cable
In an unusual move that will split a series between broadcast and cable, CBS is moving its Monday edition of reality series Rock Star: INXS off the network and onto co-owned cable music network VH1 effective Aug. 7.
The Monday edition features the interaction among the singers and song selection. The Tuesday performance show and Wednesday elimination edition will remain on the network.
Despite low ratings, Rock Star: Inxs "may be a clever move" for the band. Rock Star: Inxs isn't the next American Idol. It's not even the next Dancing with the Stars. Last week's episode "continued its slide," according to The Hollywood Reporter, which says only 4.3 million viewers tuned in on Wednesday.
But Billboard reports that INXS' decision to find a new lead singer via the Mark Burnett CBS reality show "may be a clever move." That's because, "on national TV, even poor ratings translate into invaluable exposure for an act trying to re-establish itself."
When the show debuted, the number of copies of The Best of Inxs that were sold "nearly tripled to more than 5,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That represents the album's best week since its debut." And now, "the band has a new record deal with Epic, thanks largely to the show."
The show continues until Oct. 5, although last week, two performers were eliminated. "Rock Star" failed to strike a chord with viewers on Monday night, premiering to lackluster ratings.
Only 5.6 million viewers tuned in to the much-hyped reality style talent competition designed to find a lead singer for the 80's rock band Inxs, leaving CBS to finish fourth in the 9 p.m. timeslot, Variety reports.
On a positive note, the debut was scored reasonably well among adults 18-49, finishing second to the culinary boot camp series, "Hell's Kitchen."

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Interesting ROckStar info from MelodicRock.com"
Posted by Loree on 08-31-05 at 02:03 PM
>Then there is the long standing
>rumor that the last name
>selected for the show is
>already in the band. Aussie
>singer MiG was the 15th
>person selected for the show,
>but several rumors suggest it
>was predetermined that he shall
>be the last an standing.
>Time will tell!

I wonder if this gossip is true or not? Is MiG a ringer and was going to be their winner all along but they are doing the show for publicity to get INXS back in the public? I have heard some gossip that INXS is now upset that Marty and JD are the ones pulling in the fans from the market INXS wants. And they are upset that MiG's fanbase (along with Jordis) is made up of preteens and tweens. At the CityWalk concert both MiG and Jordis were surrounded by the very young squealing girls. While the adult fans all went after Marty and JD. Now INXS is in a fix about alienating the fans they want when they cut Marty and JD to keep MiG. Hmmm? I guess we wait and see if MiG is the chosen one or not.

Posted by CattyChat on 08-31-05 at 02:20 PM
Thanks for the interesting read, Wacko. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, because if MiG does turn out to be a ringer, I think the you-know-what will hit the fan, because I thought there are serious rules with these reality shows so they aren't fixed.

But, still, in the end it is INXS's decision. It's in INXS's best interest to pick someone who they think they could work with, but who also would draw in the serious fan base & not screaming pimply pre-teens.

I sure hope there is a RockStar next season, though, because real talent is so much better to watch & listen to. I'm loving my Tue nights.

Posted by geg6 on 08-31-05 at 02:51 PM
As always, the Chat and I are in sync.

If the MiG rumor is true (which I have serious doubts about), that would have to be worthy of an FCC investigation. The reason I am so sceptical of it is the participation of Mark Burnett, who is one of the best in the industry (despite how crazy he makes me sometimes). I am sure he is fully aware of the legal difficulties this would lead to for him, CBS, and INXS.

As for the band's demographic, based on what I have read, it is still the adult (30s-40s) crowd that is buying INXS cds and watching the show. Personally, I am in that demographic and, although I think Jordis is very talented, Jordis and MiG don't do much for me. Especially MiG, as I just don't see him as a very good singer compared to the rest. He's cute, I guess (I don't personally find him attractive, but I can see how some might), but in the way my niece finds Justin Timberlake cute. Not in a sexy, almost dangerously so, way. In a nice, non-threatening, nice boy kind of way. Not someone I will find very credible trying to pull off "Suicide Blonde," "Need You Tonight," or "The Devil Inside." That's probably why the teenyboppers like MiG. That's also why I don't.

I guess that pretty much explains why I so want JD to win this. He has that "thing," whatever it is. I've said it many times...I just can't take my eyes off of him. MH had that as well. JD doesn't have it in the exact same way, which I think is good. I don't want a MH imitator. But I do want someone who has that "moth to the flame" vibe. I would think that the band would want to keep that vibe going with their new lead singer.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

Posted by Moother on 08-31-05 at 03:03 PM
These posts just prove that we all have our own opinions, because the last person I would want to win would be J.D. His voice just doesn't make me want to hear him or buy his music, yet I have already purchased and downloaded Mig, Marty, Ty,Jordis and Suzie. I also don't like his persona.
My top 3 would be Marty, Mig, or Suzie as a real contender for the job with INXS.
By the way, I am definitely not a teenie bopper and cannot even be considered a young person anymore (bummer).
I think we just all have our own tastes towards music, personalities and appearance.

Posted by Loree on 08-31-05 at 03:47 PM
I am a big JD fan. I love the guy. I have to watch him. Can't turn away. And I did love the back shot lastnight of his butt. Anyway... they better not boot him tonight. It's his birthday tomorrow (Sept. 1st). They wouldn't be so mean to him as to boot him the night before his birthday, would they?

Plus because I like JD I actually hope he doesn't win. I want him on till the end so I can keep watching him every week. But I don't think winning this is best for him anymore. I would rather see him fronting his own band. I don't think INXS really want anyone too creative or charismatic that might take the attention off them. I think whoever they pick will be expected to sing what they want and will always be outnumbered by them.

JD did a great "Rebel Yell" at the CityWalk concert the final 6 did. He can snarl like Billy Idol anyday. I saw a video of it.

And I've heard a couple bootlegs of JD where he recorded "Imagine" and "Our Song" in June. They were very very good. I didn't even believe it was him at first. But you can definitely tell it's his voice at certain parts. I think his "Imagine" was better than Jordis' lastnight. That guy has talent and charisma.

But on this board it is hard being a JD fan.

"RE: Hard being a JD fan"
Posted by LaLaLisa on 08-31-05 at 04:57 PM
>But on this board it is hard being a JD fan.

No way! I mean about the board being hard, I mean. I'm a huge JD fan too and people either agree or not, but no one calls me names and makes me cry or anything.

Besides, I just keep noticing how on almost every thread the conversation keeps coming back to JD. Like Dave said on the 8/30 show, no matter what, you gotta watch him. Everyone watches him, talks about him, debates him, studies him. Love or hate him - he'll be around for awhile.

Posted by CattyChat on 08-31-05 at 04:28 PM
You expounded well on my thoughts, Geg.

The other thing about MiG is now, whenever I watch him perform I think of Davy Jones or David Cassidy It started about 3-4 weeks ago & I can't get the comparisons out of my head!!! When I was a wee little girl I loved that bubble gum, pop, good boy persona, but now I want serious vocal ability, some sex appeal, little bit of bend-the-rules bad boy.

Got me some cat scratch fever for J.D. -- MEOW

Posted by geg6 on 08-31-05 at 04:54 PM
Ack!!! The Davy Jones/David Cassidy thing is exactly right. I kept thinking back (OMG, that was eons ago!) to when I liked that Tiger Beat cover boy type, but I couldn't think who he reminded me of. Now I know!!!!!!

Think JD would go for a twosome with a couple of experienced and attractive older women?

Posted by CattyChat on 09-01-05 at 08:21 AM
>Think JD would go for a
>twosome with a couple of
>experienced and attractive older women?

J.D. would probably trade INXS for that fantasy.

Posted by Loree on 08-31-05 at 05:13 PM
I heard someone refer to MiG as a soap pop star and they said he reminded them of Danny Romalati on Y&R. I burst out laughing.

Posted by geg6 on 08-31-05 at 05:30 PM
ROFLMAO!

I'd just add that it's more like Danny Romalotti with anorexia.