URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID18
Thread Number: 134
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"If you want something you can trust, it's not your email"

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 07-25-01 at 06:06 PM
Hi, this is not funny. I have the dreaded SirCam virus as of this afternoon...I will have to postpone writing until I get rid of it as it could potentially kill my conputer. I don't know how it got into my system as I didn't open any weird emails.
*Sigh* This is my first virus. Well, see you later I hope!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: If you want something you can trust, it's not your email"
Posted by ItzLisa on 07-25-01 at 09:34 PM
Oh, hon!!! I'm sorry! I hope you get rid of it soon - who cares about the episode, I'm just more concerned that your computer is okay - them suckers don't grow on trees, ya know! Good luck, girlfriend!

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 07-25-01 at 10:12 PM
Thanks Itz--
After wasting my afternoon pursuing this thing I got some good and some bad news, and it's weird enough I thought I'd share it.

The whole thing started when I got an email Reply today--where the new message simply said "F*ck you B*tch", which was oh so pleasant. The original message copied showed my address as the sender with my son's name on it, a Subject in Spanish, and the text that goes with the Sircam virus.

After emailing the rude guy back asking him to explain, he said he thought I sent him the virus (which he had gotten infected with through this message) on purpose.

This virus generates email to everyone in your address book and sends them your personal documents as infected attachments--and goes on from humiliating you to ruining your hard drive. SB already posted some people on this board have it.

So the Good News: My computer never sent that email, and doesn't have the virus, at least not as I speak.

The Bad News: Somewhere down in Mexico way a SirCam infected computer from which my son sent email home back in March is now emailing the virus to people around the world and using my email address as the purported sender.

A number of the addresses it's mailing to must now be closed or otherwise undeliverable, and the Mail Return handler is sending them back to me, along with the infected attachments which of course I'm deleting at once. The returned messages were all mailed to people I'd never heard of, and all had the identical names on 2 attachments.

So watch out everyone; it could happen to you. I saw on the news that it hit the FBI today.
Arggh! There went my writing day!

Posted by ItzLisa on 07-26-01 at 07:05 AM
Hoooooly Cheeze, babe! I don't even know what to say to you, that is so beyond bizarre!! I just hope you get everything straightened out soon!

(Okay, now go and hide - I think I hear the Tijuana branch of the FBI at your door!)

Posted by MakeItStop on 07-26-01 at 09:29 AM
WOW OutfrontGirl, that's some story. It makes me glad that here at work all email going in and out is automatically scanned for viruses. Although we are eagerly waiting for the next episode, don't you worry about it. You do what you need to do.