URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID51
Thread Number: 133
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Wild Card?"

Posted by truckerman666 on 07-23-04 at 02:41 PM
Whats the wild card, and why would one comic come back for a chance to win. Someones funnier than everyone whos out so whats the point. They never had a wild card last year, why start now. Gulman beat ant and london, Heffron beat Holcomb and Bonnie, and Tammy beat Todd, if they're already proved themselves over them, they shouldnt come back in.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Wild Card?"
Posted by Oscirus on 07-23-04 at 02:59 PM
Not to menttion the fact that The winner of the wild card round will get more exposure than the five who made the finals giving thme an unfair advantage.

They really need to stop bringing back defeated contestants into these reality shows its a stupid idea that needs to be locked in a chest and thrown into the bermuda triangle for nobody to find.

Posted by theking0075 on 07-23-04 at 05:42 PM
Because......the audience who voted that Gary was funnier than Jay London obiviously had no idea what they were doing and it's only right Jay should be allowed to come back and slay us with more of his hilarious one-liners!

"Evil" Dr. Will: Reality Show Legend!

Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-24-04 at 05:22 PM
And how does that affect the mechanics of the show? Do we then have to have ANOTHER elimination round or will it be the Top Six competing for America's votes?

I agree that it is total carp. Stupid LCS ghost tribe.

Posted by theking0075 on 07-26-04 at 09:18 AM
I think if you listen to NBC's explanation, it goes a little something like this:

Basically, they want to give AMERICA the final say on who wins. That ulitimately means that if America's favorite has already been kicked off the show, he or she should be allowed to come back so that America has the chance to give their favorite the top prize. It basically means that the eliminations only penalize you in that it gives you less time to make America fall in love with you!

Posted by bystander on 07-26-04 at 12:14 PM
Well I gotta say IMHO that many of America's Favorites were kicked off before they even got a chance in the house. One of my favorites was that Higgins guy. He would have run circles around Bonnie McFarland and Ant but somehow they were more fun people to have in the house. I think that Drew Carey and Brett Butler were correct in their outrage over who went through to the house earlier in the show. They were just there for ratings.

Posted by theking0075 on 07-26-04 at 01:05 PM
If I had my way, Buck Star would be in the final 5!

Posted by jenlee012976 on 07-28-04 at 00:43 AM
Totally agree !!!
Those guys were great and I can't say that this year I have laughed my --- off like I did last year. Poor decisions as far as I'm concerned but if we have to pick, hummmmmmmm. I guess John but I don't really care in the end. Maybe next year will be better

Posted by Bebo on 07-26-04 at 01:04 PM
Hmmm...is this the "Dave Mordal" rule? After all, there were a lot of pissed off folks last year (including me) when Dave got ousted.

After all, the voting audience only gets to base their vote on the one performance that they see. The viewers can see the whole body of work. Last year, we watched a comedian with a small subset of material use it over and over to win his head-to-heads. Once I got a chance to vote, I voted for the ones that had the more comprehensive (and funny) material.

I'm glad to see this. I was disappointed when Jay had to go against Gulman, because I wanted to see both of them go further. Jay had an off night against Gary and lost, but since we viewers can judge on the entire body of work, those of us who find Jay's type of humor funny still have a chance to vote for him.

Have whip, will travel.

Posted by caveman on 07-26-04 at 07:06 PM
Did we ever find out who the comic was that the celebrity judges claimed did deserved to be there? If the producer's fix was in from the beginning for a certain comic to make the house regardless of what the celebrity judges thought, perhaps this is yet another way to put him or her back in the game.

Or the producers know that the finalist are shaping up to be the worst of the worst and the show will die at LCS2.

Caveman

"email vote"
Posted by silentJ on 07-28-04 at 01:08 AM
I just emailed the show ( lastcomicstanding@nbc.com ) and voted for "the guy that got screwed over by the procucers". If everyone that that thinks he deserved a shot does that he might get move votes than The Insignificant ANT.

Posted by Joools on 07-27-04 at 01:20 PM
The problem with America voting is that the truly funniest comic may not actually win. The audience in the theater has been voting based solely on the stand up routines but the TV viewers know more of what's going on in the house...the alliances, the backstabbing, the mind games, etc. There's a chance that the TV audience will vote for someone based on sympathy, not on how funny he or she is. I can't be the only one who thinks that Dat Phan won last year (at least partly) because people took pity on him since he was constantly being picked on by the others in the house.

Posted by grit on 07-27-04 at 01:43 PM
The problem with America voting is that the truly funniest comic may not actually win. There's a chance that the TV audience will vote for someone based on sympathy, not on how funny he or she is.

We saw that with American Idol. How else do you explain Camille, Jasmine, and Johnny Red getting so far in the competition?

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by truthrules50 on 07-28-04 at 10:20 AM
>We saw that with American Idol.
> How else do you
>explain Camille, Jasmine, and Johnny
>Red getting so far in
>the competition?

Well...But then there's the Flip Side - The Good thing about a Wild Card - If it wasn't for the Wild Card, Clay Aiken wouldn't have been in the competition.

(Okay - No bashing now ! LOL)

Posted by Dizwiz on 07-27-04 at 07:27 PM
Ugh, Dat. Sympathy MUST be the reason he won, because his act was kinda funny the first time I heard it, but it got old REALLY fast...which is unfortunate, because it was the only act he had!

Diz

Posted by Mistral on 07-27-04 at 10:40 PM
I agree with most of what you're saying, but I truly think they should be judged on their stand-up ability alone (yes, I know I'm idealistic). Being funny in the house doesn't translate into being able to entertain an audience. Same with the little "challenge" thingies they give them. But since the TV viewing audience is the decider, they are going to vote on the whole package. Maybe we should just have a live audience/couple of judges vote rather than have the "great unwashed" decide the whole thing.

And I am still convinced that Dat Phan was set up to win the whole thing from the beginning. One thing I noticed was that they originally had him listed as being from Santee, CA, which even I, as a SoCal native, had to look up. Later on in the show they changed it to San Diego, CA, which most folks have heard of.

Posted by DoodleBug on 07-28-04 at 04:26 PM
I wish we had the wild card last year! I, too, was ticked that Mordal was booted. This year, so far, the audience has done a pretty good job of picking the unfunny comedian.

Snazzy new sigpic by Slice
Survivor All Stars PTB Champ!

"RE: Wild Card = Simply Dreadful"
Posted by mocha madness on 07-28-04 at 03:03 PM
This was simply dreadful....truly all five were without talent, and they all showed it. I will not bother to vote any of these losers back into the competition. The only way this could work would be if we could vote in any of the three other comics, Naturman, etc., who got screwed in the original selection process.