URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1325
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Theme announced"

Posted by Flairmarq on 04-05-05 at 10:51 AM
Spoiler alert

For those of you who would like to know, it has been confirmed tonights theme is "Broadway songs" according to idolsforum.com (Nikko's cousin is the official source). I don't have a list, but speculation is that Nikko does "Somewhere over the rainbow". As for the rest, no clue. Rumor had it that they had to change songs over the weekend, because they didn't get the clearances for a "Beatles" theme.

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Theme announced"
Posted by geekboy on 04-05-05 at 11:51 AM
They had to change over the weekend? So they have half of the prep time. Could lead to some poor performances, i'm afraid. They were talking about a beatles theme, or more specifically a Lennon/McCartney theme before the season started, wonder what fell through???

geekboy

Posted by Breezy on 04-05-05 at 12:44 PM
I've seen Broadway and 80's mentioned as the theme over there.

Posted by geekboy on 04-05-05 at 12:47 PM
As far as i can see, that site's spoilers aren't too reputable. last week they were claiming 'one-hit wonders' all week, and one other theme i don't recall. The actual theme of the 90's was never mentioned until Ryan announced it on his radio show.

take this spoiler w/ a grain of salt.

geekboy

Posted by Flairmarq on 04-05-05 at 01:03 PM
I did hear on the site both '90's and '80's theme last week. I am surprised you don't have the 411 geekboy? You had it a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by badger on 04-05-05 at 01:04 PM
will constantine do something from rent?

Posted by Tahj on 04-05-05 at 01:25 PM
I was thinking Pump Boys and Dinettes

Moves courtesy of Syren

"Sounds fishy..."
Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 01:29 PM
2 problems with this spoiler --

If they had to change theme last minute, why pick one that's going to be EXTREMELY difficult for most of the contestants? Yes, Constantine would do very well to choose something from "Rent", but these folks are primarily pop/R&B/rock singers...showtunes are going to be a HUGE challenge if & when they are the theme. (not only are they less familiar to these people, they're typically more difficult to sing than pop songs - more complex melodies & more lyrics). Although, I confess, I'd love to hear Bo sing "Easy to Be Hard" or "Hair" from (of course) "Hair".

Secondly..."Over the Rainbow" is NOT a Broadway Song. It's from a movie musical. The only Broadway productions of "The Wizard of Oz" were from the VERY early 20th century (like 1903). The Harold Arlen/Yip Harburg music that we're familiar with was written specifically for the 1939 film.

"RE: Sounds fishy..."
Posted by LibraRising on 04-05-05 at 01:41 PM
They did adapt a musical version from the movie, so it technically could be considered a song from musical theater, I guess. But I find it difficult to believe that they would do Broadway since the judges often criticize singers for sounding "too Broadway." I'd love to hear Nadia do "Easy as Life" from Aida, though! (and I hated that show).

Of course, they could do an Abba, Elvis, Billy Joel or Beach Boys song and that would technically be "Broadway," too.

Darn juke box shows. OK, I liked "Mamma Mia."

Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 02:00 PM
>>Of course, they could do an Abba, Elvis, Billy Joel or Beach Boys song and that would technically be "Broadway," too.<<

Yeah...but not REALLY -- OK, sorry. I'm a traditionalist. Not that I didn't love "Mama Mia" (I have a friend on the tour too - one of the dads).

And HEY -- "Spamalot" is INCREDIBLE!!! Someone could sing a Python song! (and do the fish-slapping dance!)

Anywho, I know the Arlen/Harburg "Oz" was done on stage...but not TECHNICALLY BROADWAY. (Sorry - see above re: traditionalist)

Posted by LibraRising on 04-05-05 at 03:51 PM
And HEY -- "Spamalot" is INCREDIBLE!!! Someone could sing a Python song! (and do the fish-slapping dance!)

Now that? Would be entertaining. Or maybe Scott could do a wife-slapping dance. (sorry, that was mean )

I'm glad Spamalot was incredible. I have tickets to see it in May.

Posted by Flairmarq on 04-05-05 at 01:45 PM
There was discussion about that on the idols forum as well. "Over the rainbow" was broadway after the movie, so it might be a loophole.

As for changing the theme, it has happened before. And doing a broadway theme makes sense, because it is very easy to get those rights quickly and may have always been a back up.

I am wondering why people at the taping haven't posted--is it that Idol has been cracking down on people leaking it? If you do it online, you are pretty much safe as no one really knows your name.

Posted by geekboy on 04-05-05 at 01:59 PM
It was only taped when there were more than 10 contestants due to time constraints. its all live now.

geekboy

Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 02:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 02:08 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 02:08 PM (EST)

>>"Over the rainbow" was broadway after the movie, so it might be a loophole.<<

Sorry to be a stickler - it was never on Broadway. Check www.ibdb.com if you doubt me. (that's the Internet Broadway Database - like IMDB but for Broadway).

>>because it is very easy to get those rights quickly and may have always been a back up<<

I don't know why it would be any easier to get these rights than pop song rights. They would still have to talk to whichever company owns them & possibly pay for it. Tams, MTI or French typically handles rights for fully staged productions, but I have no idea if it would be them, ASCAP or BMI that would authorize the performance of individual songs. In any case, I'm guessing the procedure would be very similar to getting rights for pop songs.

(etf spelling -- doh!)

"Yep"
Posted by AyaK on 04-05-05 at 03:47 PM
>I don't know why it would be any easier to get
>these rights than pop song rights.

It wouldn't be any different. The rights would have to be licensed through one of the performance companies (e.g., ASCAP, BMI) and the cost for TV use would have to be arranged with the publisher.

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 04-05-05 at 02:10 PM
what about the Diana Ross version-The Wiz, didn't that go on B-way?
Perhaps the big question is who do you think will do "Summertime" this year.... will that song become the next 'must do' song for the contestants?? Forget Whitney it's Porgy & Bess....

Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 02:12 PM
>>what about the Diana Ross version-The Wiz, didn't that go on B-way?<<

Absolutely -- It was a Broadway show before it was a film.

But "Over the Rainbow" is not in it. All the music is totally different from the Garland film.

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 04-05-05 at 02:20 PM
Ahh, ok. I have to admit I know nothing about Broadway except for the songs on my 'Broadway hits' CD collection I got at Costco...

btw re: the Beatles theme... Michael Jackson is the one who holds the rights to all the songs, you'd think he would want some spare change at this point......

Posted by Spidey on 04-05-05 at 03:59 PM
btw re: the Beatles theme... Michael Jackson is the one who holds the rights to all the songs, you'd think he would want some spare change at this point......

He probably also has other things on his mind at the moment and couldn't be bothered to consider the request (if there was one).

I'd lvoe to see a Beatles night, though. Best.band.ever.

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 04-05-05 at 05:02 PM
Hi Spidey,
that's why I was thinking he could use some quick cash........ Maybe he gave the songs away instead of cash for a few settlements.....

My 7 (nearly 8!) year old looves the Beatles he has a compilation CD that has Moonlight Bay on it and it is such a crack up to hear him warble it out I hope he will sing it to me when his voice starts changing... oh, what a bad mommy! But it would be so cute!

Posted by Spidey on 04-05-05 at 05:22 PM
My son is 8 and loves the Beatles. just like his mommy and daddy. Goes to sleep with a different album playing on his walkman every night. Younger (5) sister in now in training too.

Classic rock mommys rule!

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 04-05-05 at 06:37 PM
Classic rock Daddy has him liking the Eagles (and Bob Marley) He loves to sing "itchy woman". Now that's one for the books.. the classic dilemma do I correct the word or make a memory for my old age?? ah heck...that's what therapy is for.

"OOoh! Prom night ammo..."
Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 06:40 PM
Just think how you can embarass him in front of dates!!

"RE: OOoh! Prom night ammo..."
Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 04-05-05 at 06:51 PM

who me!

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 04-05-05 at 02:30 PM
Ryan Seacrest announced on his radio show tonight's theme is "musicals". This could possibly clear up the "Somewhere over the Rainbow song".

Posted by AtlantisRoyal on 04-05-05 at 02:38 PM
I'm a long-time lurker who never posts, but wanted to share one bit of info with ya'll. Our local talk radio station does a recap/discussion of AI every Thursday morning. Last Thursday they had one of the producers on, and she said that the theme for tonight was "Show Tunes". I just wanted to clear up the rumor of a last minute theme change because this has been planned since at least last Thursday morning.

Posted by geekboy on 04-05-05 at 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info, and you should have posted this Thursday!!!!

Of course, when you posted it, you should have followed the proper SPOILER posting guidelines.....

geekboy

Posted by AtlantisRoyal on 04-05-05 at 03:07 PM
I know I should have posted Thursday, but I'm new at this and still a little hesitant. I think they may have this producer on every Thursday, so if she dishes on the theme again, I will post it Thursday morning -- following the appropriate spoiler guidelines of course.

Posted by brytigerca on 04-05-05 at 03:18 PM
Problem I have with a broadway type theme... is that the judges often dismiss voices who are more meant for "broadway" so that kinda is silly in my mind... I mean let's say it is broadway, so those who do excellent, what would the judges reaction be... that was good you clearly belong on Broadway and not American Idol? LOL

Posted by JOSHIDOL on 04-05-05 at 03:41 PM
I agree with what you are saying. I cannot see Nikko, Scott or Bo and Constatine pulling off these types of songs with Nikko being by far the one who cannot. He has so far done upbeat, Jackson 5, etc. type songs. They are supposedly singing songs from Man of La Mancha, Sound of Musci, King & I, Liver, Camelot, Babes in Arms, West Side story and Sound of Music.
From this, the girls should all be ok. Also, Anwar should be able to nail this night. It will be interesting.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-05-05 at 04:01 PM
"Liver"?

Posted by Lisapooh on 04-05-05 at 04:04 PM
Oliver?

At least it's not Spleen - the musical.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-05-05 at 06:10 PM
That musical allegedly had a showstopper number called,
"Appendix!".....but they had to take it out.

Ducking for cover.

Posted by zazzy on 04-05-05 at 09:01 PM
"wiping the spit take off computer screen..."

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Posted by uberspoon on 04-05-05 at 04:03 PM
Bo would do just fine with the title song from "Hair".

However, because the theme is 'muscials' it opens up a whole new realm of possibilites. I would personally like to see Bo do something from Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not that it would ever happen)....but practically any movie that has music throughout would be fair game...and think about all the pop songs contained within "Moulin Rouge"

"I've actually kinda been waiting for THIS topic..."
Posted by tamarama on 04-05-05 at 04:06 PM
>>is that the judges often dismiss voices who are more meant for "broadway" so that kinda is silly in my mind<<

*sigh* This is something that's been bugging me from the beginning -- In fact, I think I may start a thread on it.

As a trained, professional musical theater and cabaret performer, it chaps my hide when they 'condemn' some contestants as "too broadway" or "too cabaret".

Particularly when it's a BAD performance -- if someone can't sing a pop song with honesty & sincerity, WTF makes him think they could act a ROLE or sing in an intimate cabaret setting with honesty & sincerety?

Argh!!! I think I will compose my thoughts and start a thread

"Thanks and song suggestion"
Posted by Flairmarq on 04-05-05 at 04:40 PM
Thanks guys and dolls for clearing it up. Atlantic--thanks for the info and if you would keep us informed we would be most grateful.

I hope someone does a song from "South Park The Movie"

"Hah!"
Posted by weltek on 04-05-05 at 04:54 PM
I'll take "Blame Canada" for the win, Bob.

"RE: Hah!"
Posted by TODDLJ on 04-05-05 at 05:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 05:22 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 05:20 PM (EST)Edited because I couldn't use the ##### words in the ##### song

Just imagine Carrie singing 'Shut your fu@king face, uncle fucker!' Or Scott singing 'Kyle's mom is a big fat b!tch.'

Excellent.