URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1314
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"This is why I hate this show"

Posted by bacon on 03-31-05 at 09:46 AM
This week's theme night was "Songs of the 90's". My ears perked up upon hearing this. The 90's is when I started to find out what great music was about. Bands/artists like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Radiohead, The Wu-Tang Clan, Beck, Dr. Dre, Screaming Trees, Rancid, and A Tribe Called Quest were the soundtrack to my teen years. So I was certainly excited when I heard Ryan SuckCrest announce the theme.

And then came the songs. Oh dear lord, these contestants have absolutely no imagination! The edgiest song of the entire night was when Nadia performed the Melissa Etheridge song...and that song ain't that edgy, folks! R. Kelly? Sucks! Whitney Houston? Again!!?? Leann Freakin Rhimes????

Would it not have been totally awesome to see someone put a unique spin on Soundgarden's "Spoonman"? But even that no good turd Constantine, who said he loved the grunge scene, chose a safe song(Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me"). Dear God, I hate this show.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: This is why I hate this show"
Posted by Flairmarq on 03-31-05 at 10:06 AM
For obvious reasons, some of those arists couldn't be selected (cussing, content, ect.) but I am with you. They were handed a gift from the Idol gods and they turn to adult contemporary channel. This was the time to find something of your own becuse you don't get kind of opprotunity in later rounds.

I think Leanne Rimes is good, just not the right song for Jessica to sing. She should have sang "Blue".

"The Simon of the Wabash Valley"

Posted by sodiumswirl on 03-31-05 at 10:36 AM
Well, there's all that crapola about needing to have the song choices cleared for copyright reasons. Remember when Aloha Mischeaux was booted out during the second semi-finals after having to change her song choice "about 4 times" because she couldn't get clearance? She wasn't even allowed to mention on-air the names of the songs she wanted to sing; all we know is that Ryan Seacrest mentioned one of her initial choices was "more of a performance song".

Chances are, contestants like Nadia and Bo would've loved to put on something edgier... but can you imagine Courtney Love or Thom Yorke or whoever holds the rights to perform Nirvana/Radiohead/Soundgarden stuff letting an American Idol contestant sing one of those songs on what is essentially a mainstream, populist program? They would lose a whole lot of credibility.

It's sad but true; and it's probably the reason why there's a pre-selected list of song titles for Idol contestants to choose from. The faster they can get their song cleared, the more time they have to rehearse it, the safer they feel on elimination night. And that's why we'll always have someone singing "I Have Nothing" every season: it's pre-cleared and fits into a thousand different Idol themes like Movie Week or Soul Week or, in this case, 90's Week (as opposed to that other Bodyguard song "I Will Always Love You", which I believe Dolly Parton owns the rights to).

Posted by geekboy on 03-31-05 at 11:36 AM
Then...don't watch the show.

Posted by bacon on 03-31-05 at 12:34 PM
I'm posting here because I "DO" hate the show. What the hell are you doing here?

Posted by geekboy on 03-31-05 at 12:41 PM
I'm posting here because i love the show. This isn't a board specifically for "bashing" AI. Some of us actually enjoy the show and discuss it on here.

geekboy

Posted by Femme on 03-31-05 at 01:03 PM
Aw, come on. Finish that sentence:

Some of us actually enjoy the show and discuss it on here. and some of us like to mock it and disect it and question it and all other things not associated with praise.

If you don't like the content of the thread, why would you post that one liner and try so hard to be inflammatory?

Femme

i she be your girlfriend

Posted by geekboy on 03-31-05 at 01:40 PM
Hello Femme -

You actually took my "one-liner" as inflammatory? Its one thing to mock the show, and i've done exactly that in the past, especially at the expense of Mikalah.

What got me in the original post of the thread what the last line "Dear God, I hate this show." If that is the case, then why is bacon watching it? If he/she hates it so much, if it causes such frustration, then don't watch it.

Then bacon comes back with "I'm posting here because I "DO" hate the show. What the hell are you doing here?" which implies this is a forum for bashing the show. Its much more than that.

You write back at me for being inflammatory, but isn't the original post as guilty?

geekboy

"pfffttt"
Posted by Breezy on 03-31-05 at 01:59 PM
You've been here long enough geekboy to surely realize that bashing is our passion here. Bashing reality contestants that is, not each other.

If anyone needs refreshing of this or just wants some funny reads, look through the archives.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. Sigpic by Syren.

Posted by Femme on 03-31-05 at 02:03 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 02:03 PM (EST)

Nope.

Here's why: You pull out the trusty "I'm allowed to like the show" card and basically ask for impunity because of your love of the show.

Bacon should get the same consideration that you are asking for. For the reasons you want amnesty for having the opinion that this is a good show, you should have held yourself in check before slamming him for saying something negative about the show.

You can't have the double standard. If you didn't like what he said, debate it. However, it's not cool to arbitrarily decide that his opinion is less valid than yours. "I don't agree with you because..." is far better than, "You don't love this show, so you aren't allowed to watch and comment on it."

He was certainly blunt in his response, but to divert to schoolyard tactics, you started it by doing to him what you immediately asked not to be done to you.

I really didn't mean to pick a fight with you, geekboy. I just didn't think it was fair to pop in to pass judgement on Bacon, attempt to stifle his discussion, then demand a free pass for yourself, all the while not expecting him to react as he did.

Femme

stupid italics

Posted by Spidey on 03-31-05 at 02:32 PM
What got me in the original post of the thread what the last line "Dear God, I hate this show." If that is the case, then why is bacon watching it?

The obvious question here is Why do you care?

If you want to praise the show, then go start a love thread. (But don't ask people not to post negative comments because then you'll only get a rash of them and then a huge debate over whether someone should be allowed to do that to your thread. If you don't believe me, check out the TAR forums.)

Or you can post snarky comments in his thread. whatever.

But please don't question bacon's right to watch a show he hates and post about how much he hates it. He's perfectly entitled and in fact, it's part of his charm.

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 03-31-05 at 12:08 PM
I'm really getting bored with the show when I heard the 90's I thought Uhg because I was a teenager in the 80's and to me no other music time period can compare but that's just me

I dont care for Constantine but at least he did a Black Crow's song

bring back the Big band theme I LOVED that one

Posted by mrc on 03-31-05 at 12:15 PM
*psst*

That was Bo, the other rocker.

A Nefarious Dice Creation
Kinda like "Pork--the other white meat." *nods to bacon*

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 03-31-05 at 01:46 PM
whoops you can see how much attention I was paying

Posted by Femme on 03-31-05 at 01:07 PM
The edgiest song of the entire night was when Nadia performed the Melissa Etheridge song

That was the 'edgiest' for you? I thought Bo won that honor. I thought her performance was the most bestest, though, overall, in terms of technical proficiency, unexpected (and refreshing) song choice, and total performance. Wait a sec, I think I am talking myself out of my original position. :/ Dammit.

Femme

i she be your girlfriend

Posted by Tahj on 03-31-05 at 02:52 PM
I can see your point Bacon but you have to keep in mind the kind of show this is.

1. It's pop. How many of the contestants do you think even listened to the bands you listed?

2. Song choice. They have to keep in mind songs that will be right for them to sing. In the past some contestants have chosen songs because they are their personal favorites, but they weren't necessarily the right songs for them to sing. That has hurt them.

3. They are competing for votes and therefore have to keep their audience in mind.

Moves courtesy of Syren