URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID109
Thread Number: 13
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Anyone Like Country?"

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 02-14-06 at 05:20 PM
I know a lot of people think American Idol is the way to go, but last season I got hooked on Nashville Star...it's produced a lot better than AI and the people tend to be more serious than the 15 minutes of fame Idols... Anyone else like Nashville Star? I think the new season starts in March.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Anyone Like Country?"
Posted by CBailey on 02-16-06 at 04:41 PM
Never heard of it what station does it come on and when I know it might be different.

It sounds interesting to me.

Posted by weltek on 02-16-06 at 04:48 PM
I hate country, but did tune into a few eps during the first season (gosh, was that back in 2003?). It IS well produced and has some good singers, especially if you like country.

Less drama than AI. Definitely for a kinder, less snarky audience!

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 02-17-06 at 02:50 PM
Yeah, there is no Simon snark, but they are adding some comedy...they have Cowboy Troy and Wynonna as hosts this year...

And it's on USA on Tuesday nights...starts in a couple of weeks I believe...some big country people like Miranda Lambert as a winner to vouch for it.

It would be fun to talk about it with y'all!

Posted by Lisapooh on 03-15-06 at 12:29 PM
actually, Miranda Lambert came in 3rd the first season. Buddy Jewell won it. They were both great! I wasn't so crazy about the guy that came in second. I think his name was George and he had a big Tejano influence in his music.

I absolutely love Nashville Star! I can't believe I missed last night - I'll have to catch one of the bajillion reruns. h

Posted by whimsey on 02-17-06 at 09:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-06 AT 10:27 PM (EST)

I stumbled on to Nashville star at end of the first season. I really liked the format. The anti-Idol stuff I liked was that at some point the artists have to write a song, perform it, and are judged. The other thing was a duet requirement with a Country Music Star. Sure puts things into perspective. Something Idol should try - separates the wheat from the chaff. But I never really paid much attention to country music. I do like the show because the talent seems more genuine than some of the Idol contestants.

What I didn’t like was the switch from Nancy Odell as host to LeAnn Rhimes (sp). I’m glad they are trying new hosts. Since it doesn’t conflict with Idol, I’ll definitely watch.

whim

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 02-21-06 at 03:29 PM
Yeah, the fact that the performers are usually real singers with their own songs trying to make it is a lot more realistic that American Idol with the William Hungs...

Yeah switching around the hosts is a great idea. LeAnn is a definite singer, but she seemed a little overwhelmed with hosting. Knowing Wynonna's personality, I don't think she'll have any problems! haha.

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 03-14-06 at 10:50 AM
Just a reminder that Nashville Star is on USA Tonight at 10pm! I am really excited and hope you all watch so we can talk about it tomorrow!

Posted by whimsey on 03-14-06 at 10:02 PM
Gotta say I'm looking forward to tonight's show. For the newbies, 8 weeks of live country music...not quite Idol style. Confession, I’m not a real country music purist, but I do respect the genre. When I watch Nashville Star, I look for:

1) versions of classics
2) "street" (or road) cred. Otherwise known as believability
3) originality

Nashville Star is a chance to enjoy good musical ability, not just popularity. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

whim

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 03-15-06 at 01:19 PM
So what did you think of last night, whim? I really liked the guy who got shot in the face (Shy?) and the guy who sang Tequilla makes her clothes come off. The girls were ok...I liked Melanie a lot and think she'll definitely be one of the winners. Also the mom was very cute...

Great show. Cowboy Troy is silly and Wynonna seems very sweet.

Posted by Glow on 03-15-06 at 02:43 PM
I kept meaning to watch this every season. This time I finally remembered. I watched it at some obscene hour and fell asleep before they announced the first boot. I think I pretty much liked all of them. I'll have to watch it at a decent hour to be sure though.

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 03-16-06 at 04:21 PM
Yeah, it is on a little later...thank God for Tivo...first night is pretty hard to pick favs because it's so early on and there's nerves involved. I was surprised to see Jewels go, but the cast overall is promising and someone could definitely become big out of this...

Just keep watchin' to see. I think Gretchen Wilson is the judge next episode...

Posted by Glow on 03-23-06 at 01:12 PM
I forgot about it again. I have my DVR set to record on Saturday, I believe, when they replay it.

Posted by uglier than sarah w on 03-23-06 at 04:10 PM
Haha! It's a good thing they replay them! Definitely watch. I was surprised by the results of the show...and it will only get more interesting next week. That's why I keep voting!

Posted by Agman2 on 05-27-15 at 10:51 AM
Girl, you are WAY uglier than Sarah!

Posted by kidflash212 on 12-08-15 at 03:12 PM
But is she prettier than Sarah Palin?

Posted by Agman2 on 01-13-16 at 05:20 PM
Oh hell Yea! But then again, so is everyone!

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 03:54 PM
true