URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID95
Thread Number: 129
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I come to you for help"

Posted by Ice 9 on 12-14-06 at 12:44 PM
Hi, my name is Ice 9, and I was a '24' junkie for 4 seasons. It was on my list of Top 5 shows. Seriously, nothing got my blood pumping like that electronic "tick, tock, tick, tock" of the 24 clock. Then season 5 happened.

<spoilers ahead--I know you probably have all watched season 5, but just in case...>

OK, so they killed off Palmer and Michelle and put Tony in a coma about 5 minutes into episode 1. Fine. They were all characters I liked, but it's totally consistent with the show to kill folks off. I didn't like it, but that's what you get when you sign on to this show. They had probably outlived their usefulness anyway.

Then they make Logan the centerpiece of the show. I have to admit, that I hated, hated, hated this guy in season 4 (and not in a "love to hate" kind of way). He's weaselly and he's whiny and he's completely unbelievable (even in terms of THIS show--which is saying something) as a president. Seriously, he was like nails on a chalkboard for me. I just wanted to punch him in the face everytime he came on my screen.

But what the hey, it's 24, right? It's still a great show...right? Well, I lasted about 9 episodes before I jumped ship. I left right around the time of the motorcade incident, because I just couldn't deal with the way Logan was handling it, and I thought I can't take another 15 episodes of this guy, and I just thought the main plot of the nerve gas was equally lame. The show seemed tired and cliched and every move seemed predictable in its "this is not what it seems" way.

It was a tough decision, but I felt good about it.

Until...

People start raving about season 5. "Season 5 is the best season yet". "Gregory Itzin is a genius." A genius? WTF? I couldn't watch the guy, not because he was a bad actor, it was just that I couldn't stand the character. And now it's a genius performance of a great character?

Then Kiefer wins a flippin' Emmy? Seriously? For playing Jack Bauer? The same Jack Bauer he's played for 4 seasons prior?

I don't get it. I'm questioning my own sanity. I think I'm the only person in North America who was previously a die hard fan, who just couldn't stomach season 5. So, I've come to you for help. What am I missing? Did I just abandon the show prematurely? Should I give it a second chance?

Is there anyone out there who genuinely disliked President Logan who was converted? Or, if I couldn't stand him in episodes 1-9, will I continue to loathe him and wish him dead in a host of "not ready for primetime" ways?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I come to you for help"
Posted by blacknwhitedog on 12-18-06 at 08:29 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. Things should get more busy in here in January. Not sure what to say about Logan- but I think I'm going to have a harder time with Wayne as president.

Slice n' Dice Chop Shop ©2004

Posted by J Slice on 12-18-06 at 09:45 PM
I'm puzzled by the Keifer award myself. But then, I never found Jack to be anywhere near the most interesting or most well-played character on the show.

I LOATHED Logan's character, but Greg Itzin is a really talented guy. Anyone who can do that convincing a job of being a huge scumbag deserves all the raves he gets. He seemed GENUINELY slimy in that role, a real insecure Nixon-jerk, andI think that's how you have to look at it; the guy took a real dirtbag and brought him to life.

I loved season 5. Possibly more than all the others. But the high Chloe content definitely helped. As did Morris.

I'll still miss Edgar, though.

What, us, dysfunctional?

Posted by Emily RugBurn on 12-19-06 at 01:50 PM
Yeah, I'm with Slicey on this one. Logan's the character you love to hate, which makes it that much more satisfying when you see him get his comeuppance in the end.

RIP Dedgar.

Emily's RugBlog

Posted by Ice 9 on 12-20-06 at 08:38 PM
>I'm puzzled by the Keifer award
>myself. But then, I never
>found Jack to be anywhere
>near the most interesting or
>most well-played character on the
>show.

Agreed. At this point, his breathy voice and his need to throw himself on his sword at a moment's notice have become parody. He was nowhere near the most interesting thing about the show for at least 2 seasons.

>I LOATHED Logan's character, but Greg
>Itzin is a really talented
>guy. Anyone who can do
>that convincing a job of
>being a huge scumbag deserves
>all the raves he gets.
>He seemed GENUINELY slimy in
>that role, a real insecure
>Nixon-jerk, andI think that's how
>you have to look at
>it; the guy took a
>real dirtbag and brought him
>to life.

OK, but I really found him unwatchable in his sliminess (but mostly for his whininess). And I'll say it, as unrealistic as David Palmer was as Prez, I simply didn't believe that a guy like Logan could ever be President. I'm not going to argue Itzin's talent. Perhaps he played him too well for my tastes.

I'll probably give it another chance on DVD, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the rest of the season.

Posted by mikren on 12-27-06 at 03:21 PM
Dude, are you saying you only watched the first 9 episodes and then none after that? Do you still not know what happened with Logan's character? If not - you need to go watch the rest of the show.

Posted by geg6 on 12-19-06 at 04:32 PM
Sorry, I found Season 5 to be the strongest one of the whole series. In fact, my sister and I are both huge 24 junkies (right from the beginning) and I just bought her the Season 5 DVD for Chrismas, skipping Seasons 3 and 4 (she'll get them eventually) because we loved it so much.

IMHO, the series was completely rejuvenated last year and I can't wait for Season 6.

Oh, and they can just give Kiefer the Emmy every.single.year as far as I'm concerned. There is no more riveting man on TV.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

Posted by AyaK on 12-27-06 at 06:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-27-06 AT 06:25 PM (EST)

I loved season 1 of 24. The ending, killing Teri, made up for some big logical gaps earlier.

Season 2 was great except for the preposterous "25th Amendment Coup" at the end, which started to tune me out of the show. But I really liked Kate, and Mandy's reappearance at the end was a high point.

Season 3 reeked, and not because the producers killed off Nina and Sherry. It was impossible to envision Tony jeopardizing so much in an effort to save Michelle. And Kim always was dead air. I stopped watching.

Season 4 seemed to be more of the same from Season 3. I only followed it on the Web. Then the President was killed and Logan, the Veep, became President. And the show changed. Logan as a weak president was more interesting than Palmer as a strong one, and I started watching again. I admit, I liked Logan from Day 1, because he was unpredictable. He wasn't the iron-fist type like David Palmer. In fact, he was more the wussy-fist type.

Season 5 was probably the strongest start-to-finish since Season 1, with Logan trying to create his own Kristallnacht behind the scenes. The only preposterous element was the Chinese kidnapping at the end.

I thought Itzin offered a lot as Logan. Think of it as the banal face of evil. It's hard to play a weak character that turns evil without being obvious, and Itzin did it brilliantly.

As far as Kiefer goes, I think he was better in the first two seasons, when he appeared to be at least a little conflicted about his job. Now he's just a zombie. But he deserved awards years ago, so there is no way I'll begrudge him those awards now.

I'm as enthusiastic about Season 6 as I've been about this show since before Season 3.

Posted by trigirl on 12-28-06 at 08:37 AM
Ayak....you've come back into the fold!

Posted by AyaK on 01-05-07 at 11:17 AM
Yeah, but I'm kinds uncertain about the new twist regarding Jack's family (no, not Kim). We'll have to see.

Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 01-12-07 at 03:56 PM
I couldn't stand Logan from the moment he was sworn in after Keeler became incompacitated when Air Force One was shot down in Season 4. Back then, Logan was just an indecisive bufforn. Season Five, he became the terrorists' lackey.

"You are not alone"
Posted by dragonflies on 01-15-07 at 12:51 PM
I got so bored with Season 5 that I skipped the 2nd half. DH still watches it, and will fill me in, but I'm back on to give it another try this season. I just love watching Kiefer. Almost as much as Wentworth Miller. Almost.

"RE: You are not alone"
Posted by geg6 on 01-16-07 at 10:19 AM
Though Miller is a cutie (and he lived nearby for a short while in high school), that show is terrible. Especially, IMHO, compared to 24. Both are completely implausible, but 24 is never completely incomprehensible nor lacking in redeeming social value (terrorism and how our government fights it are top of mind issues in America today. Cheering on escaped criminals? Not so much.). I don't get what people find interesting about this show other than the two really cute leads.

I'd be interested in your take on why Prison Break is good and 24 isn't because I've really wondered why people seem to watch PB. I've tried a couple of times on recommendations from friends. But I just don't get it. *shrugs*

What am I not seeing?

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

"RE: You are not alone"
Posted by YankeeDixieDoodle on 01-19-07 at 03:14 PM
I wasn't interested in PB last season, but my husband saw an ad for the show and asked me to tape the rest of the season. So, I taped it for him, but didn't watch it. I watched Invasion. And, thought my husband would like PB this season, because of William Fitchner. But, my husband won't watch. Once he's seen someone on one show, he gets used to them in that role. And, doesn't want to see them playing another. He even got so used to Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe on 24, I almost had to go see Firewall by myself.

Posted by Loree on 01-19-07 at 08:53 AM
Season 5 was one of my faves. I loved it. The season that lost me was Season 3. I just didn't like Season 3 and quit watching during that season. But I read some recaps and gave Season 4 another chance. I am glad I did or I would have missed Season 5. And so far Season 6 has my interest.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 01-20-07 at 11:32 AM
I stuck with it and Logan cuz I wanted to see him get his come uppance (sp?). Plus, Jean Smart was an absolute delight, if a bit one-dimensional. Glad she'll be back this season.

The hills are alive with the sigs of Tribe

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
—Goethe