URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1275
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Deadliest Catch - Discovery Channel Reality Show"

Posted by RealityTVChick on 05-18-05 at 03:05 PM
Has anyone been watching this..its crazy. Im a chick...im not supposed to be into fishing shows..but I love this! Its like survivor with people acutally dying. Im not saying this to make light of the fact that 6 people lost their lives..my point is that this is really SURVIVOR.

For those who haven't watched the first episode is On Demand if you have Comcast.

Anyone else into this?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Deadliest Catch - Discovery Channel Reality Show"
Posted by deadliestcatch on 06-01-05 at 01:41 AM
"The Deadliest Catch" is the only reality TV show out there that is true reality. The crab can't read scripts. I'm sick of the "so called" reality TV. There is no reality in any of them other than The Deadliest Catch. Go to Google and type in reality tv revealed and read how phony reality TV is. Finally a true reality TV show. These guys are stars!It's all reality here.

Thanx
Bruce Wax

Posted by Jealousy on 06-01-05 at 04:16 AM
Okay, I saw your post and decided to check the show out. I remember seeing it advertised on banners a while back. I also don't care for fishing or crabbing, as the show goes, but I found this series really interesting. And yes, this is what reality tv is all about, though it can be a bit morbid, but that's life I guess...

Thanks for informing me about this show, RealityTVChick. ^^

Posted by RealityTVChick on 06-01-05 at 08:31 AM
Yahoo..Im so glad that others are finding this show! Its really good but they need to get the message out to Reality TV fans like us. To be honest at first I thought..fishing..what am I going to enjoy about that..but I do. Its real life..put together well with great editing and music selection. The men all become characters with stories and tales that make them 'real' I hope that others catch onto what they are missing!

Posted by megp on 06-06-05 at 01:44 PM
I absolutely LOVE the show. I am a chick, too! I don't think it is anything like Survior. Survivor is so over rated anymore, but I do undetand where you are coming from. Pretty intense stuff. I am a HUGE fan of the Billiken. Anyone else?

Posted by Jealousy on 06-06-05 at 09:53 PM
I kinda like the Northwestern, but maybe because they were doing pretty well. ^^; It is a very dangerous job, but they sure make a lot of money, each, if they bring in a huge catch...

And that's for around 3 days of work or so?

Posted by RealityTVChick on 06-07-05 at 08:13 PM
I too like Biliken. I like them because the Captin gets out there with the deck hands and works the boat. I think its a huge moral booster and shows that he truely loves all aspects of crabbing..not just the prestigious parts!

As for the posting about the money..yes its good..but would I want the man I love doing that for a living..HELL NO! As this show demonstrates..'even the best fall down sometimes'...sorry to be corney and qoute a song but its on the radio and is very appropriate.

Enjoy tonights show
-Robyn

Posted by S_I_Dan on 06-06-05 at 02:44 PM
Holy crud I love this show! I always watch the documentaries on this stuff and this series has me hooked. You can't really compare this type of "Reality TV" with shows like Survivor or The Apprentice. It's its own sub-genre. And (like RealityTV Chick) my fiance is into it as well. Great show.

http://slappingirene.typepad.com - A Witty and Profound Reality TV Blog

Posted by fishyfishy on 06-08-05 at 00:01 AM
Here is a link to one of the other songs called "Between" by Vienna Teng.

http://music.msn.com/search/all/?ss=between

If I did this right... it's the top song.

Posted by RealityTVChick on 06-08-05 at 07:46 AM
I disagree...I think that this is TRUE Reality TV and what we watch usually..is more like Jaded TV. I missed last nights show because my hotel this week doesn't offer Discovery No worries though..I have Tivo rolling at home...More on Friday when I see what I missed.

Posted by Flairmarq on 06-08-05 at 03:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-08-05 AT 03:23 PM (EST)

I saw it , and liked it, but I wouldn't expect anything else from Discovery. The national networks are so into competition type reality and Discovery is into doing "people at their work".

As for it being true reality, well, you can never be real reality on tv shows or movies due to condencing of time and editing footage into a story. But the stories are real, the action is real. Plus you see exactly how dangerious the job actually is.

Now will they do that for people on oil rigs.

http://notsoblah.blogspot.com

Posted by MrsSoup67 on 06-09-05 at 10:49 AM
>Has anyone been watching this..its crazy.
>Im a chick...im not supposed
>to be into fishing shows..but
>I love this!

Why not for chicks?? Fishing shows like this are exciting. My hubby and I have been watching shows like this for years. This show used to be a special now they made it into a series. Some of the captains and crews have been on both shows. I do not know if there will be another season of the show due to the fact that Wildlife and Game have changed the regulations and the season may well turn into weeks instead of days. They will no longer be in a rally type fishing competition with each other. Supposedly safer for the crews. They all seemed upset by the end of an era. Anyway Love the show!!

Live for Today, Plan for Tomorrow, try to Forget Yesterday!

Posted by Flairmarq on 06-09-05 at 11:51 AM
There will be another season of the show, its too popular right now. As for them not being rushed, as one of the crew said, "I am still gonna get it done as quickly as possible, because I want to get home to my family."

As for it being weeks, I don't see it happening. A lot of the crews will get a lot of catches quickly, and it will even out as parts won't be over fished. More than likely, they will be more freedom with information between boats on where and how to fish, since they can only catch so much.

I think the bad news is for the small boats, who get less money verse the bigger boats who will get more.

http://notsoblah.blogspot.com

Posted by cambo on 06-09-05 at 10:34 PM
They had a marathon a couple of weekends ago, and I sat parked in front of the TV for about 4 hours watching it. I've never been into outdoors shows (fishing, hunting, etc) but this one really caught my attention. Maybe b/c I used to live in Maryland, where crab is king! It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

Posted by Smooth23 on 06-10-05 at 01:09 PM
I also really love this show. I love seeing how crab crazy these people get when they're having a good season.

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism and Communism, war has never solved anything.

Posted by mom2bjm on 06-14-05 at 01:38 PM
Yes, we wasted most of Memorial Day sitting in front of the TV - getting nothing done, because Deadliest Catch was on all day! We were hooked - great show!

As DH & I were driving home from work the next day, the radio personalities were talking about what they had done on Memorial Day - the guy starts saying - "I got stuck in front of the TV for this GREAT show" - we shouted out Deadliest Catch!! We were sooo there with him!!

Tuning in for the final show tonight!!

Another fabulous Siggie from Cyg!

Posted by Drive My Car on 06-13-05 at 12:34 PM
I saw this for the first time last night, and am bummed I missed so many episodes. I think there is only one more, but hopefully Discovery will be showing them again.

It's so exciting. I was getting such a thrill when they hauled in all that crab. I really enjoy documentary style shows.

So questions that I didn't get answered last night.

How long is the season? How long are they away from home?
Do the guys have other jobs when they aren't crab fishing?
How much money are they making? I know they talked about how good the money is, but not sure how much they are talking about.

I'll be looking for it.

Posted by RealityTVChick on 06-13-05 at 02:53 PM
Hello..welcome to the fan club. Ill do my best to answer your questions.

To start with..if you are a cable subscriber and have On Demand you can go to cable favorites and few the first 3 or 4 episodes.

How long is the season? This varies based on how fast the crabs are caught. Can be a few days to a week per what I recall

How long are they away from home? They are away for the time they catch the crabs plus they could be delayed several days if they are one of the last boats to show up to cash in on their catch. There are a limited number of people and hours where the crabs can be processed. You have to wait your turn. The bad news is you only get paid for live crabs..so if some of your catch dies while being stuffed in tanks the crew suffers the loss.

Do the guys have other jobs when they aren't crab fishing? Sounded like some do and some dont.

How much money are they making? I know they talked about how good the money is, but not sure how much they are talking about. - That varies on the catch. A good season could give each of the deck hands 7,000 - 12,000 for a few days work. If nothing is caught..they crew gets nothing. The captin gets two shares and Greenhorns(rookies) only get a 1/2 share their fist season.

Hope that helps

Posted by realitycoholic on 06-15-05 at 08:51 PM
...and, it has the best line ever:

"On the crab!"

Cracks me up everytime they say it. I find ways to incorporate it into everyday speech. Meaning: things are going great!

Posted by warrior3313 on 06-23-05 at 08:24 PM
I have a question for anybody who watches this show. the intro son that goes im a cowboy on the steel horse i ride. what is the name of that song and who sings it. thanx

Posted by Drive My Car on 06-25-05 at 10:31 AM
Bon Jovi - Dead or Alive

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 05-01-07 at 11:23 PM
Obviously late to this discussion as I don't have cable. Deadliest Catch is a most interesting show! I have long known that harvesting Alaskan king crab was about as rough a job as there was, but kudos to the producers for putting us right there with the crew from captain down to greenhorn.

I was most gratified to see that a Man Overboard was safely rescued. Didn't know this show had been on this long!

Tribe strikes again!
One small benefit of having gone to the hospital.

Posted by rasslinmomma on 05-06-07 at 00:17 AM
Hang around for the "opie" (Opelio crab) season. The crab are smaller, but they will follow the same boats through their season. This series is one of my favorites!!

Tribe is so good to me!

Posted by KeithFan on 05-15-07 at 10:28 PM
Not to mention the weather gets worse!

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-17-07 at 11:37 AM
Catching crab in January vs. Novemeber.....watch out for the ice falling on your head or losing your pots in an ice flow.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Pepe and bouncy by IceCat

Posted by batts on 05-21-07 at 01:21 AM
Oh, my gosh! This is the best show on TV. How did I miss this show for so long???

I've now seen some 2005 and 2006 shows. So I found out last week that the Maverick's owners are Rick and Donna. The new captain (former deckhand/expert welder) is Blake Painter.
Blake was on the news last week in some kind of rescue of a cruise ship, so I guess Captaining a cruise boat during his off time is his 'other job'.

Sig and Edgar Hansen (Northwestern) were on the Late Show with Leno last week.

If you haven't seen this show.... It's a MUST SEE!

So the 'Wizard' is the biggest crab boat? Which one is the smallest?

Posted by sporkman on 05-21-07 at 01:20 PM
Blake was captaining a fishing vessel. His ship was the first to arrive to help the cruise ship.

seattle times story

Posted by batts on 05-21-07 at 01:58 PM
Ahh OK. That's better. Thanks for that. I was thinking he captained a ferry boat or something similiar when he responded to that rescue.

Blake is so kewl. I wanna go crab fishin with Blake.

Johnathon (on the Time Bandit) cackles when he laughs. LOL I lvoe him. When they pulled off the 'flour bomb trick' on the greenhorn, he sounded like an old woman cackling. Another reason I lvoe this guy is how fast he responded to that rescue of the guy who fell off the other ship, and could have died. That was an emotional moment when that guy was thanking Johnathon for saving his life.

How can you not Lvoe a woman with a name like Rognild? She's the best! Greg is her husband, and captains the Farwest Leader. I wanna see more of Rognild!!!!

Posted by sporkman on 05-21-07 at 03:03 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-21-07 AT 03:19 PM (EST)

Did anyone catch the lobster fishing documentry that was on Discovery a couple of months ago. I don't know if it was a pilot for a Deadliest Catch spin off or what, but they were following a few lobstermen from Cape Cod during the summer fishing season.

I'm from New England and I sure wouldn't want to be out on a lobster boat in the middle of a New England storm, but this was clear sunny days on flat seas. To go from 15 foot Alaskan seas where 2 minutes overboard could spell your death, to Cape Cod in the middle of the summer was laughable.

The biggest problem the featured lobstermen had was a fleet of bottom dragging fishing boats that kept moving the lobster pots.

ETA:
I did a search and found the name of the show was Lobstermen: Jeopardy at Sea, it origanally debuted June 2006, and was filmed in the fall of 2005. It was on at midnight, so I only watched 15 minutes of it.

"After the catch"
Posted by KeithFan on 05-30-07 at 05:13 PM
Anybody else catch it? Good stuff; the captains sitting around and talking about crabbing. Now we got two hours a week!

I like the perspective that Sig gave. I guess he was upset by the title of the show when Discovery announced what they were calling it. He said "That's exactly what we're not trying to be".

"Another season done....."
Posted by HobbsofMI on 06-29-07 at 02:41 PM
Well...even though Mrs. Hobbs ask why I keep watching the same thing over and over....but I just have to watch to see what happens next.

The After the Catch segments were too cool.....I loved the last one when they were asking how the show has changed their lives. People stopping them while driving, picking up chicks in the bars, etc.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Pepe and bouncy by IceCat

"RE: Another season done....."
Posted by KeithFan on 07-09-07 at 09:24 AM
Makes you wonder how they are going to change, if and when there is another season. How exactly would they "jump the shark"?

"RE: Another season done....."
Posted by batts on 07-09-07 at 01:04 PM
How exactly would they "jump the shark"?

Maybe a shark will jump out the water and eat Rognild....

..just kidding. I 'heart' Rognild

Posted by Agman2 on 01-25-16 at 05:20 PM
I miss RealityTVChick.