URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 126
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Picture problems"

Posted by Joyful on 09-16-03 at 03:11 PM
I'm trying to put a picture in my post but it's not working. I clicked the upload your file, clicked on the browse, found the picture and got a reply that my file was uploaded successfully and it gave me an address, or url or whatever they are called. But I'm lost on the next step. How do I get the picture on my actual post, nothing is happening. I'm kinda a computer dunce (well not kinda, totally!) Could some one take me thru this step by step? Please (I just learned how to put that happy face there a couple weeks ago)
I read the other post on putting up pictures but I'm not getting it, what is the difference between HTML and JPEG and how can you tell which is which? I tried the old cut and paste but it didn't work either.
Sorry about this I'm so confused...I'm a 30 year old stupid person!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Picture problems"
Posted by sleeeve on 09-16-03 at 03:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-16-03 AT 03:26 PM (EST)

First of all, before you upload the image, you need to know what type of file it is. There are six types of files supported by this site that you can upload:

html -- a webpage
text -- a written document
gif and jpeg -- two different types of image files
zip and tar -- two different types of compressed files

In the case of uploading a picture, you will need to either save your picture as a gif or a jpeg. If you have a PC, simply check out the name of your picture. If it's something like MyPictureName.gif, then it's already saved as a gif file. If it's MyPictureName.jpg, then it's already saved as a jpg file. If you have a Mac, I do not know how to check the file type of an image, so you will need to follow these instructions:

If your image is not saved as a gif or jpg (or you do not know what type of file it is), then you will need to convert it. Open a grapics program, such as photoshop, microsoft paint, etc, and select "Save As" and then choose the correct image format from the drop-down menu.

Once you have a .gif or .jpg image, then you are ready to upload it. When you are uploading your image, it is imperative that you select the correct option (GIF picture or JPEG picture) or it will not work. After you have uploaded your image, you will get an address such as:
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/User_files/3e18e14b1fcbc147.gif

Simply copy this address into your message, and the picture will automatically appear.

Good luck!

"RE: Picture problems"
Posted by Joyful on 09-16-03 at 05:56 PM
THANK-YOU Sleeeve!!! You are my new favorite person
I worked it all out with your great and easy to follow advice and my picture appeared!!
My problem was that I copied the picture into the only program I knew how to work, my word processor. (DUH!!) Anyway I figured out how to get it into gif format and it worked!!!
Thank you again for taking the time to help a computer dunce like myself