URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1230
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"If 16 year olds are too young, why invite them?"

Posted by yankee fan on 03-02-05 at 10:33 AM
How many years in a row will Simon tell a 16 year old you're just too young for this competition?
Then raise the age, you moron!!!!
Why even let them try out?
They probably are too young, but I guess letting them try out gets that age group to view the show more? I don't know.
The judges obviously have their favorites.
Just like in any competition (for example, the Olympics), if there are judges involved, there is just too much bias.
In a competition where there is actually a score at the end (football, baseball) or a finish line to cross (track), then there is a definite winner, otherwise, with judges, it's just who they like the best, not who actually sings the best.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: If 16 year olds are too young, why invite them?"
Posted by aquariaqueen on 03-02-05 at 10:41 AM
I have truly enjoyed the benefits of upping the age to 28, and I think the legal age of 18 would be beneficial as well.

Posted by Lisapooh on 03-02-05 at 10:51 AM
I think upping the age limit was a really good idea and gave us a great influx of talent that would have been excluded otherwise.

I dont' think it's about age as much as it is maturity. Some 16 year olds have the presence and poise and drive wherewithall to handle this competition, some don't.

I'm 36 and I don't know if I could handle it week after week after week.

"Yup"
Posted by Breezy on 03-02-05 at 11:11 AM
It's not about "age" it's about maturity. Mikalah is also 16 but shows more maturity while on stage.

I totally agreed with Simon's comments last night on Janay, and I LOVED how the camera panned up her when he said she looked like a child programmed and dressed up to be a pop singer. She looked like a child dressing up to try and look older. Sorry Janay but if you still have baby fat around your belly, don't wear a short shirt and lowrise pants.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy. Sigpic by Syren.

Posted by seahorse on 03-02-05 at 12:16 PM
Well last year a sixteen year old made it to the final 2. It matters what the viewers think not what Simon says, especially as we get into the finals.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by annielynne42 on 03-02-05 at 12:56 PM
Last year, Dianna DeGarmo proved that some 16 year olds are ready for the competition & this year, I think Mikalah is going to give them a run for their money! Dianna deserved to be in the top 2. Mikalah may, also. We'll see.

Posted by suziekay on 03-02-05 at 01:55 PM
"Last year, Dianna DeGarmo proved that some 16 year olds are ready for the competition"

And the year before that it was Carman R. But were are they now??

Raising the age to 18 is a no brainer. They are out of school. Remember these KIDS still have to have schooling while they are doing this show. That cuts into their rehersal time. They have to have a parent with them. How many 16 year old singers are still around when their 11 year old fans grow up?

Posted by Tahj on 03-02-05 at 12:29 PM
I would agree to upping the age to 18. While it's true that it's more of a maturity issue, it won't hurt those mature 16-year-olds to wait a couple of years.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by PhoenixMons on 03-02-05 at 12:35 PM
I think Simon usually takes a liking to the younger contestants (I think he liked Mikalah, Janay, and Jaclyn quite a bit this time around - he obviously liked the no-talent Carmen Rasmussen enough to pull her from the depths of obscurity into the top 12). I think the younger ones, when they show that maturity, are far easier for the record company to 'mold' into their little popstar robots than the older ones who are more set in their ways.

I think it's a difference of being 'too young' in terms of maturity and performing experience, not age per se. I'd prefer them to leave out the 16 & 17 year olds because I think they tend to do much better than they should (talent-wise) because of teen votes or some other strange voting phenomenon that makes teen contestants seem immune to getting the boot.

Got blog?

Posted by Ricky on 03-02-05 at 12:42 PM
Some of it has to to do with maturity though. Diana DeGarmo was 16 last year when idol started and she made it into the final 2. She was mature for 16.

Plus they tell me girls mature sooner than boys so if they raised it to 18 that would be for the boys only. A 16 year old girl = 18 year old boy in maturity.

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 03-02-05 at 01:38 PM
She had been performing for auditoriums full of people since she was about 5 years old though. (Like Mikhaylia sp?) So despite the pressures of being on live TV she only showed us normal (not being on TV) 16 year old reactions. So in that sense she was mature. She wasn't mature in the sense that Alanis Morrisette was at 16, if her songs written at that age, are as she says autobiographical. I guess being a seasoned preformer is the difference. I don't know... some of the 'kids' seems childlike and the others don't. And to be completly honest (heh heh) I don't like seeing kids who have not been able to enjoy their childhood. But who is to say they haven't except for them? Blah- sorry to ramble on!

Posted by okaychatt on 03-02-05 at 12:51 PM
<then there is a definite winner

True, but even in that situation, there have been judges - otherwise known as umpires or refs.

I agree that if Simon thinks sixteen is too young, then the age limit should be raised. Based on this year's contestants, I'd have to agree with him.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Posted by yankee fan on 03-02-05 at 12:52 PM
Good point, you're funny!