URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 122
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Duplicate Threads, Messages..etc etc"

Posted by CantStandToLook on 09-04-03 at 12:04 PM
Just wondering..I lurked for a long time before beginning to post to the site and I noticed that on some of the boards BB specifically that duplicate threads or posts would be locked to prevent the boards from getting unmanageable I assume.

This has just happened overnight it seems but there have been so many duplicate posts and threads on the Paradise Hotel board that it is hard to tell what is new and what is not. There are some where the same message is being posted to several threads in the series.

Are you guys still checking this stuff...just wondering.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Duplicate Threads, Messages..etc etc"
Posted by sleeeve on 09-04-03 at 01:50 PM
Yes, we are still checking, however, there are five moderators (six total staff members) of a message board community with over 9000 users, and all of us have other jobs. The bottom line is that we cannot be everywhere at once.

However, there are two simple ways that you, the user, can help us out.

1) Please familiarize yourself with the site guidelines, linked from the top of this and every page. Try to follow them to the best of your ability, so that the moderators do not have to get involved. If you see someone violating a rule, and you feel comfortable saying something, politely point out what they are doing wrong and offer suggestions for how they can correct the situation.

2) If you do not feel comfortable approaching another user, or you have tried to help another user, but they didn't seem to respond, do NOT get mad or rude on the boards. Instead, there is a simple way that you can let the moderators know of the problem so that we can fix it. There is a little link labeled ALERT that appears in the lower left corner of every message board post. Simply click this link, and it will take you to another page which will ask you why you clicked alert. Be sure to explain the situation assuming that we know nothing about it, because often we're the last to know when problems arise, and we may not know that this is the fifteenth identical post that a user has posted, or that this is the fourth flame, etc. Once you click the "Send Alert" button, a moderator will respond as soon as we can.

Remember that this is a big message board, and we cannot be everywhere at once. Often we are the last to know when a problem arises. So please help us out by showing newer members the ropes and letting us know of any problems.

Posted by CantStandToLook on 09-04-03 at 02:14 PM
Thanks for your response. I have made a few posts to the group at large in that community to let them know they should try to avoid repeat postings. I also see that some of the veteran posters are also starting to step up. It appears that we have a lot of newbies (I still consider myself one) that haven't taken the time to see how things work on the boards. Hopefully they will catch on with a little prodding from the rest of us.

Thanks again.

Posted by Breezy on 09-04-03 at 03:32 PM
I've noted it on some of my messages too, but I don't think they're opening threads and reading before posting so it's falling on deaf ears. Today it seems to be worse than ever. Every other post is about Zack or Dave it seems.

*Breezy ... keeping OT satisfied since 2003*

Posted by Swami on 09-04-03 at 10:24 PM
The same thing is happening on the Cupid Board. There are quite a few people who want to tell you their favorite competitor and their opinion, but are not really interested in a discussion. Most of these posts sink fast with just a few responses. It makes the board more cluttered, and overall probably less interesting, but it's the nature of the show to draw out the opinionated--so I don't worry about it too much.

IceCat is a Genius