URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1190
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
""Final 24" (the results are in)"

Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 00:22 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-05 AT 00:50 AM (EST)

Stay out if ya don't wanna know (I think AI has aired everywhere in the U.S. at this point, so I don't think this is really a spoiler at this point, but I certainly wouldn't want to risk ruining if for someone). The final 24 were revealed to us and we were introduced to several 'new' folks in this episode. ETF some improper name spellings...

Guys:

Judd Harris
David Brown
Bo Bice
Mario Vazquez
Anthony Federov
Scott Savol
Travis Tucker
Ozzie Smith (who know goes as Nikko Smith???)
Jared Yates
Joseph Moreno
Constantine Maroulis
Anwar Robinson

Gals:

Nadia Turner
Celena Rae
Janay Castine
Lindsey Cardinale
Jessica Sierra
Melinda Lira
Vonzell Solomon
Amanda Avila
Mikalah Gordon
Carrie Underwood
Sarah Mather
Aloha Mischeaux

The gals are all cute (no real surprise there...double standards in full effect).

I am very confident in saying that the eventual top 12 will be the best top 12 by far. These are some very talented people and we're FINALLY getting more substance over story I believe there are still a few people we haven't heard at all yet...but from what we have heard, these guys (overall) are so much better than all of the Carmens and JPs and Jim Verraros etc.

Got blog?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Post removed"
Posted by Bebo on 02-17-05 at 07:00 AM
Participating in discussion good, trolling bad. Posts that do not follow the advertising guidelines will be removed and the accounts deactivated.

"RE: "Final 24" (the results are in)"
Posted by callalilly3000 on 02-17-05 at 07:40 AM
I am very confident in saying that the eventual top 12 will be the best top 12 by far. These are some very talented people and we're FINALLY getting more substance over story I believe there are still a few people we haven't heard at all yet...but from what we have heard, these guys (overall) are so much better than all of the Carmens and JPs and Jim Verraros etc.

I totally agree. This promises to be the best season yet.

Slice and Dice Shop 2004

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 02-17-05 at 10:15 AM
Finally a great season! I hate the 9 pm new time though!

Posted by Roo on 02-17-05 at 11:02 AM
I see a lot of talent in the final group, and I can't wait to hear more from them.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Loving the 9 pm slot of Wednesdays, 'cause it doesn't interfere with Lost

Posted by DontGetMeStarted on 02-18-05 at 08:15 PM
"Loving the 9 pm slot of Wednesdays, 'cause it doesn't interfere with Lost"

I have to get up at 4am on Thursdays so I'm not doing a happy dance about it!

waaaaa

Posted by SweetTooth on 02-18-05 at 09:52 PM
Definately the best crop ever. It will be another entertaining season!

Posted by badger on 02-17-05 at 10:15 AM
thanks for posting this phoenixmons.

i like some of the format changes. i thought "the chair" last night really gave the audience a chance to see each finalist up close (before we move to the next round). obviously, some people have been given more background story (constantine, anwar, for example), but yesterday's episode gave everyone somewhat of a chance to be "seen."

i'm also looking forward to the next around moving quickly. i'm glad we don't have to suffer through weeks at this stage. top 6 go through from boys and girls i'm guessing?

"YES!"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 10:30 AM
This format is SOOOOO much better! There so much greater chance for the actual best 6 to get through this way. In seasons past, we had some groupings with fantastic singers all in one group, which lead to the dismissal of people who should have stayed (there've been a lot, but I can't recall off the top of my head). This way, they have a 50/50 shot of making it and it's much more likely that one group of fanatics (i.e. people who kept voting for JP and/or John Stevens last time around) won't take the place of someone more deserving...

Everything about this season makes more sense (i.e. no guest "judges" during the finals - they served no purpose whatsoever and it was just silly to have them there)!

Got blog?

"RE: YES!"
Posted by true on 02-17-05 at 11:14 AM
I'm not sure how the format has changed, other than splitting male/female. One thing I find very annoying, and unfair is how so many of the top 24 have been hidden up to this point.

There were several contestants last night that I don't remember seeing or hearing before! What is the point of hiding the talent? I could be ok with it, if the judges were picking the final 12, but they're not, the voting public is choosing. People have already picked their "favorites" due to lots of exposure for a few of the finalists. I think it sucks rocks.

In the early voting, people vote for who they know. They have several performances, that have already been heavily featured, to judge. If say, Constantine, Carrie, or Anthony flub in the next performance, they're much more likely to be put through anyway, because the voters have a bigger picture of their talent at this point. I think this is a huge advantage for those contestants.

Hidden talent like Celena, Nikko (he'll always be OJ to me), Jared, and Jessica will have ONE shot to get the votes. I think it is really unfair, and so unnecessary to hide finalists like they have been. If I were one of those hidden finalists, I'd be screaming bloody murder!

"true"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 11:41 AM
hehe, I said true

But this isn't anything new. We've always had lots of 'hidden' folks in the top 36. This time around there are less and I think there may only be three or four that we've yet to hear sing (Aloha and Joseph Moreno off the top of my head...I don't recall ever hearing either of them).

I definitely agree that it's a huge advantage/disadvantage. BUT, in season 1, we only saw a little bit of Kelly Clarkson prior to the top 36 and look at how well she did. I know that there were some 'surprise' finalists in season 2 (if I am remembering the right season). Some of them were never shown prior to the top 36 (I think at least two of them).

I think they sort of have to do this in order to keep SOME level of surprise. I am hoping that maybe they'll show past clips of these unknowns next week (I believe they've always done this before). Overall, I think this set-up is far more likely to get the good folks in than past seasons. I do agree that it's unfair for the un-featured contestants, though. But Latoya was completely unfeatured (I am almost certain we never saw her at all until the final 36) and she made it to the top 4. It's a disadvantage, but it's not something that can't be overcome.

The format is different in that instead of voting for 2 of the 8, we are now voting to put through 6 of the 12. There is no wildcard. In a sense, that's unfair to those unseen people, but by having 6 go through from each group, the chances are much greater that a rabid fan base won't eliminate them (as it has in the past).

Got blog?

"RE: true"
Posted by Devious Weasel on 02-17-05 at 04:08 PM
That's why I'd like to see the entire audition processed covered in a week and then have a longer contest process. Follow the TAR lead and throw some non-elimination weeks in there. You could pre-announce some of them and surprise announce others. (It might be nice to see how some of them do when they know there is no chance of getting sent home - the freedom from that fear might improve some performances.)

"RE: YES!"
Posted by munson on 02-19-05 at 05:32 PM
While it's true true that some of the "hidden" contestants only get one chance to impress the viewing audience, this could act in their favor. An unknown who can knock the ball out of the park (unexpectedly) will benefit from anonymity.

I've read several posts that seem to indicate that Scott Savol hasn't necessarily benefitted from his exposure to this point. Many have problems with his attitude. In fact, Fantasia had to overcome the same kind of attitude issues during her run to the crown.

LaToya wasn't shown at all until the round of 32 but her performance in her group put here front and center.

I'd agree that exposure during the preliminary auditions is most often a positive. I'm just not sure it's such a negative for those with real talent who aren't featured.

Previous editions have shown us that style, image, quirkiness, personality can keep you in the running but ultimately, talent does win out.

"Our fresh meat:"
Posted by greenmonstah on 02-17-05 at 11:49 AM
http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/

Bo Bice? Welcome to Bashing 101.

"RE: Our fresh meat:"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 01:06 PM
Monsty, you got something against Bo? He rocks! I didn't realize he'd been in the top 44, so when I saw that he'd made it to the top 24 I was quite happy!

His name does work well for this little ditty...

Bice Bice Bo Bice
Banana Fanana Fo Fice
Me My Mo Mice
Bi-ice!

Got blog?

"RE: Our fresh meat:"
Posted by ginger on 02-17-05 at 01:25 PM
Too funny. I sing the Name Game every time they say "Bo Bice" too.

Of course, we'd probably enjoy the show more if we drank every time they said "Bo Bice" instead.

"Correct me if I'm wrong"
Posted by Coconut on 02-17-05 at 03:15 PM
but did I not hear the judges call him 'Harold'?

That could kill it for me, I think.

"These are not wholesome young role models. These are hideously emaciated trollops with good genes." --TeamJoisey

"You heard right"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 03:31 PM
Harold 'Bo' Bice is how he was credited in the Hollywood auditions when they showed the three rockers together. I wonder if there is something significant about 'Bo'. Otherwise, Bo isn't exactly a step up from Harold

Got blog?

Posted by Tahj on 02-17-05 at 12:00 PM
The one change I'm not sure I like is choosing an equal number of men and women. That meant that some really talented people didn't make it simply because they were male or female.

And yeah, why is the show showing bias towards some contestants over others when it comes to audience perspective and perception? Are they trying to have more control over who ultimately gets selected?

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by califan on 02-17-05 at 02:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-05 AT 02:37 PM (EST)

>And yeah, why is the show
>showing bias towards some contestants
>over others when it comes
>to audience perspective and perception?
> Are they trying to
>have more control over who
>ultimately gets selected?

hi, long time luker first time poster on this board

anyways, they do this every season. Its obvious the judges have their favorites and they get promoted like heck througout the show. prime example is reuben. the way they always said reuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben and nicknamed him. They have in mind who they want to represent, who will make good tv and money when its all over and try to sway the audience into voting the way they want.

Posted by Tahj on 02-17-05 at 03:23 PM
Welcome to the boards Califan!

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by opinionated on 02-17-05 at 01:03 PM
I also think it's unfair that some of these people have had no exposure up to this point. It definitely puts them at a disadvantage. On the bright side, if they "hit it out of the ballpark" (like Latoya did last year in the semi-finals), it'll take people by such surprise that they might actually get more votes as a result.

So, was there anyone that people were upset to see eliminated? Off the top of my head, the only one I was a little disappointed about was the heavy-set crooner guy from Vegas. I thought they did a pretty good job choosing otherwise. I'm not sure how the two rocker guys are going to pan out, but I'll keep an open mind. I'm really not jazzed about any of the girls so far. Carrie has a nice voice and will probably make it pretty far in the competition, but I'm not rooting for her (at least not yet). I really like two of the guys, though...Anwar and David.

So are we eliminating 6 girls and 6 guys next week, or will it be 1 girl and 1 guy per week? How is this going to work? Anyone know?

Posted by Spidey on 02-17-05 at 01:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-05 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

I think it's the bottom 2 of each gender getting eliminated each week for 3 weeks. Then we'll have our top 12 (6 of each)

Someone will be along to correct me shortly if I am wrong.

"jinx"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 01:09 PM

Got blog?

"Semi-finals process"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-17-05 at 01:09 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-05 AT 01:45 PM (EST)

I was curious about this as I knew they were going to get it down to 6 men and 6 women, but that there were supposedly 3 semi rounds.

This is from the AI site:

Over 100,000 people tried out. The judges have picked their favorite 24. Over the next three weeks, the guys will perform on Monday and the girls will perform on Tuesday, with the fans voting each night. On Wednesday, two guys and two girls will be sent home until we have 6 guys and 6 girls for our 12 finalists. And from there, they'll perform each week for you until you've voted for your next American Idol!

"RE: Semi-finals process"
Posted by Silverado on 02-17-05 at 01:23 PM
was a pretty decent show last night-thought they did a good job with the suspense.

I am in the bus station and wear no underwear.

"RE: Semi-finals process"
Posted by BriarRosie on 02-17-05 at 06:21 PM
I think I'm going to like this format better. I'd rather
see the bottom of the barrel drop off each week, just like
they do with the 12 person finals.

But dang it, AI is interfering with The Bachelorette!