URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 119
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Why JD will win"

Posted by LaLaLisa on 08-24-05 at 12:01 PM
You have to go by the comments that INXS & Dave have been making.

Passion
He's obviously the most passionate and he generates the most passion. Love him or hate him, people write about him, discuss him. Have you ever looked at blog comments or message boards and noticed how often his name comes up even when the original topic is someone else?

Voice
I don't know why some people don't like his voice. I love it and think it's incredibly sexy. He has never (that I can remember anyway) been critiqued by INXS or Dave for it. I can easily imagine his voice singing INXS songs. I'm not saying he has the best vocals - I'm saying he doesn't need the best vocals. Something the judges have said, too.

Stage Presence
Regardless of what you think about him, do you see how the audience responds??? He really plays to them, especially the ladies - he is a Performer. I do like him and wish he would play to the camera more but understand why he doesn't - he focuses on the audience in front of him. I think that's part of the reason why he bugs some viewers so much - he doesn't woo tv viewers the way he does the live audience. Jordis plays straight to the camera with those big, beautiful eyes - it's easier to connect with her and like her.

Versatility/Range
How many times has INXS/Dave complimented him on his range, his taking risks, his mixing things up? Noticed how they've had to say to others, "Show me something different." Notice how Marty didn't bother to "lighten up" (I think that's what they said) and now they are openly questioning if he's right for the band. (I'd have been FREAKING OUT if I was Marty and heard that last night. Or maybe not - I get the idea he's just using this as an open audition.)

Versatility/Ability
Can write, arrange, as well as, sing. Way more than everyone else.

Wanting it more
Who would you rather hire? Someone who says, "I love your band and have since I was a kid. This is my dream." Or someone who's using this as an open audition?

Attitude (problem)
One thing, at the first skirmish, Dave said they singers would be judgeed by their performance on stage, nothing else.
Secondly, I think his villian role is due to editing for effect, for so-called good tv. The whole teamwork exercise - I think that was for TV - do you really think INXS cares about that? JD has never given them attitude - he idolizes them. They are not worried at all about having a hard time handling them. He takes their critiques and makes changes. He listens to them. No one is calling Marty arrogant and hard to deal with because he ignores their critiques. That IMHO is a sign of an attitude problem. He seems to be saying, "This is who I am. I won't adapt for you."

Well, this is already too long so I'll stop.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Why JD will win"
Posted by weltek on 08-24-05 at 12:19 PM
I agree with most of your comments, however, we don't know how INXS feels about JD. When it comes down to the end (where I'm sure JD will be among the few remaining), will his difficulty collaborating with others (whose ideas don't mirror his) become a factor? I know I'd use it to aid my decision in that situation.

Posted by Iam_Xtreme on 08-24-05 at 12:36 PM
IMO the fact that he has difficulty working with others and ego issues will be his demise in the end.

Signature Created By: tribephyl

Posted by cycles2k on 08-24-05 at 12:53 PM
IMO

JD is a drama king. He is probably being edited in a bad light by Max Burnett because MB loves a villian. JD is probably also giving MB plenty to work with. Has anyone else noticed that the main animosity seems to be between Marty and JD?

I suspect INXS will pay more attention to how JD interacts with the house band and less with his competitors anyway.

Personally I think JD is the type of performer who either shines (One Hand In My Pocket) or sucks (We are the Champions). I am leaning towards Mig now because he always manages to entertain the local and TV audience. Even at his worst, Mig has never deliverd a train wreck.

Posted by weltek on 08-24-05 at 02:44 PM
I read the msn blogs by the contestants. I think it was Marty that described JD verbatim as "Drama Queen" and others alluded to it...So I think part of it is editing, but most of it is really who JD is.

"RE: Marty's views on JD"
Posted by LaLaLisa on 08-24-05 at 04:38 PM
RE:
"I read the msn blogs by the contestants. I think it was Marty that described JD verbatim as "Drama Queen" and others alluded to
it...So I think part of it is editing, but most of it is really who JD is."

But didn't you read how Marty seems to be hot for Jordis? If not romantically, he really, really likes her. HE arranged a bday party for her. I've read that a few others have had a birthday at the mansion pass by with no fanfare. I just don't think he's objective.

AND I don't hink JD's persona has been created out of thin air, but I think it has been highlighted/tweaked, etc.

Posted by me144 on 08-24-05 at 12:49 PM
I don't know. I don't think his voice is great and am not a fan of his performances - and aren't I and all the others who are not fans of his part of the "audience" also? He seems hard to get along with and don't think his "talent" is good enough to overcome his personality.

Posted by riverrocker on 08-24-05 at 01:17 PM
Well, this is a house divided! I can't stand JD--anything about him, appearance, voice, musical renditions, and especially the prima donna attitude...........BUT my hubby thinks he is THE best, hands' down! Go figure. That's why there are so many different folks out there who have success, and people wonder how it came to be.

Posted by CBRetriever on 08-24-05 at 01:48 PM
Most times when any (rock, movie, tv, etc) star is an a$$hole we don't know about it because their publicist or the media covers it up. I'd say that a significant number of them are "difficult" and hard to work with. Barbra Streisand, Jim Morrison, certain stars of Desparate Housewives, Sean Penn, a lot of grown up child stars - these all come to mind.

Posted by Loree on 08-24-05 at 02:29 PM
The band was answering some questions on-line lastnight. They were asked about off stage antics and if that mattered to them. They said that was why they loved this set-up of making them all live together in the mansion. They got to see how the singers got along because yes the winner would become part of their family. But INXS also hangs out at the mansion and they have parties so they are finding out who they get along with and not just if the singer gets along with the other contestants.

One questions that I found interesting was they were asked without naming names if there was any singers left that they would hate to be their new singer. They answered "YES". Hmmm? I am guessing it is someone that has never been in the bottom 3 or they would be gone by now.

Posted by weltek on 08-24-05 at 02:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. I agree, their answer is interesting. They've apparently been careful not to give their entire hand away, so that the show remians interesting to us viewers.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 08-24-05 at 04:39 PM
"The band was answering some questions on-line lastnight."

Where? Can you give the link? Would love to read. Thanks!

Posted by Loree on 08-24-05 at 08:10 PM
I just know it was an MSN Aussie site. I saw the questions somewhere else. I wasn't on the site at the time. I know Tim and Kirk were answering questions. It was Kirk's idea to do the show.

Posted by cheesybread on 08-24-05 at 04:47 PM
"One questions that I found interesting was they were asked without naming names if there was any singers left that they would hate to be their new singer. They answered "YES". Hmmm? I am guessing it is someone that has never been in the bottom 3 or they would be gone by now."

My guess would be Marty. Although they have liked some of the things he has done, he rarely seems to incorporate things that they have said (as another poster mentioned earlier...). They seem like guys who like to kick back and Marty is just way too intense. I found the comment about the screaming during "I alone" funny for some reason. But, I liked his version of it.

"Agree!"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 08-24-05 at 04:26 PM
Welcome to the boards LaLaLisa. I think you're spot on in your analysis.

I hated J.D. at first, but he's totally won me over. He's the ONLY one left I can even imagine singing INXS songs.

Susie performs their songs well, but in the end, I don't think INXS fans, or INXS themselves want a female singer. That means Deanna and Jordis won't win either.

Tai is too theatrical, as they've told him, and he's too much, if you know what I mean. It would be the Tai show, not the INXS show.

Marty sure does Nirvana really well. That's the kind of band he needs to be in, not INXS.

Mig, as I said elsewhere, is just too darn sweet. He has no edge, and is no rock star.

J.D. has edge, drive, personality, passion, desire, talent, charisma, ... I think he's got this in the bag.

Posted by geg6 on 08-24-05 at 04:45 PM
Because he's the best one there. Hands down.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

Posted by CattyChat on 08-24-05 at 05:19 PM
>Because he's the best one there. Hands down.

We seem to think alike, Geg6. J.D. is head & shoulders above the rest for INXS right now & the best chance for a serious comeback (I was a HUGE INXS fan, so I have a real interest in the outcome).

Overall, he has had the least bad performances (I can only name ONE - Champions) his first performance was great vocally, but he had too much nervous energy, INXS commented on it & JD listened, as he has been listening to everything they're saying, and corrected it.

Watching the women & girls swoon in the audience is a big indication that JD has that something that you want your lead singer to have.

He is the ONLY contestant who is taking this seriously & wants to FRONT INXS. Does that make him the "evil" or "bad" one in the house, because he doesn't want to perform a fluff lame song in a collaboration contest or that he puts it out there how bad he wants this? So, be it then, he is a bad boy, because he is passionate & serious about what he wants to be associated with.

I don't see an ego from J.D., I see someone who wants to impress INXS. If he had a big ego, he wouldn't be listening to them & graciously taking their criticism.

Unless J.D. tanks on singing classic INXS songs (which I don't think anyone expects) he should win & I look forward to buying the new album when it comes out & adding to my INXS CD collection.

Posted by Loree on 08-24-05 at 08:21 PM
>Watching the women & girls swoon
>in the audience is a
>big indication that JD has
>that something that you want
>your lead singer to have.
>

I heard a guy that has been at several of the live performances state that when MiG is on stage the females react like he is a puppy dog they all want to take home to cuddle. When JD is on stage the women react like he is a man they all want to take home to F*ck. JD has that sexual charisma that the females (and some males) react to. I guess it is something that is really noticed when you see him live compared to on the TV screen. If I was INXS that is who I would want to front my band. The guy is hot.

Posted by shanana banana on 08-24-05 at 05:02 PM
I like JD but I don't think he will win "hands down." I still think it's going to come down to he or MiG and I give the edge to MiG. Why? Because he's more versatile overall. I adore JD, but he's got some limitations both vocally and personality wise. MiG has none of that --- he may be a sweet nice-guy off camera, but when he hits the stage he's nothing but pure sexy rock star, in my opinion. And remember, INXS is an old band. I doubt they need to put up with a drama queen antics like JD's in their later years. That's why I think MiG will edge JD out.

But you never know!

Posted by seahorse on 08-24-05 at 06:50 PM
Although I agree that JD is very talented, I don't think he will win. He is not the best vocalist in the bunch and that is what INXS is looking for.

I do think he will do well for himself as will modsst of the others still in the running.

Out of the 7 left, Ty and Marty probably do not fit the band's style. The females are also at a disadvantage. I think MIG is the most likely winner and he is Austrailian to boot.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005