URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 1168
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"CBS crossed the line...again"

Posted by zipperhead on 08-27-07 at 09:45 AM
Was it really necessary for the women to get completely naked for the challenge? Were bikinis not recommended? Or even allowed?

Now, I'm far from being a prude. But I thought it was really very trashy of CBS to degrade the women by having them put on clothes that were all going to be coming off.

Although it was interesting that each of them were able to do it....

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: CBS crossed the line...again"
Posted by aquariaqueen on 08-27-07 at 10:26 AM
I didn't think it was necessary at all, male or female. Down to their bathing suits is enough.

Who benefitted? Those working the cameras????
Just low-class. The competition idea team is really coming up short this year. Surely, they can find someone with some unique ideas for this game.

Posted by J Slice on 08-27-07 at 10:41 AM
I don't know... while it's a clear reflection of network sleaze, at the same time, I would've gotten nekkid in a second. It IS awfully liberating sometimes.

Besides, the men NEEDED to be uncomfortable. They just had to make it even. 90% of women can deal with being naked around each other.

You should really read my crappy blog

Posted by zipperhead on 08-27-07 at 10:52 AM
Although some people may have no problem making the decision to get totally naked on national television with potential live and/or unedited images getting to the internet, I don't think it's decent or responsible to be in a position of authority and tell other people to do it.

Posted by J Slice on 08-27-07 at 11:02 AM
Well, they weren't forced. It was a matter of how badly they wanted the luxuries.

You should really read my crappy blog

Posted by mia rules18 on 08-27-07 at 11:04 AM
The producers probably just wanted to see Amber naked...You know, she's probably going to be America's next top model...she has the hair, the face, the body. And duh, the personality. Total Package.

Posted by brvnkrz on 08-27-07 at 11:27 AM
LMAO. I couldn't decide whether to be disturbed by or laugh at that entire segment. So I chose to be a little of both. I had to pinch myself though to see if I was just having a bad dream.

RIP, Bill Walsh

Posted by kingfish on 08-27-07 at 11:49 AM
Echo Bravie.
(Bravie...
............Bravie...
......................Bravie...
.................................Bravie...)

Bottom line, just good, wholesome, sleazy, family oriented, X rated TV.

Looked like fun, though. And the blinded by Amber comment by D1ck was great. The editors have been pretty hard on Amber, but she sure provides plenty of lampoon-able moments. I predict that after BB8 is over, that she will disappear, and will sink into the La Brea Tar Pit of shame, like the Jennifer(?) who betrayed Kayser.

The girls seemed to be having a great time, so, it gets the Kingfish Stamp of Approval. The atomic blurs do not. Except for Ambers'.

And the Smellycateatingadeadsmellyfish Commission endorsement for an activity to be tried by all. It looks like a great idea for backyard entertainment over the Labor Day weekend.

Posted by Snidget on 08-27-07 at 12:29 PM
The always black out the competitions from the internet, so that extended amount of nudity wouldn't have gone out live.

Now a fair number of them have been unclothed for the internet at some point or another when they forget there are cameras around and get out of the shower/bath and don't grab the towel first or decide to go streaking for some reason.

I assume the contract they sign states they may be seen nude on the live feeds and so nude for a competition that will not be aired unedited isn't so bad, YMMV.

Posted by geg6 on 08-27-07 at 05:37 PM
*sits next to Slicey*

What's the big deal? I'd have done it in a second. And I'd have no problem with it.

America has a real hangup with nudity, IMHO.

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of America." Thomas Paine

Posted by kingfish on 08-27-07 at 06:08 PM
Me too. I'd be grateful for the bubbles, but count me in.

Posted by FishWoman on 08-27-07 at 06:16 PM
*sits in between Geg and Slice* (honestly, who wouldn't want to sit between a nekkid Geg and Slice?)

makin' plates for 8 1/3 to 12

Posted by J Slice on 08-27-07 at 06:32 PM
Nobody, that's who.

Hell, I'm practically a Fun-N-Games placemat - count the tattoos!

Posted by nailbone on 08-28-07 at 12:19 PM
*sneaks up behind Fishwoman...gooses her, making her stand up, then steals her seat between nekkid Geggy and nekkid Slicey...immediately swoons and passes out...*

Posted by J Slice on 08-28-07 at 12:29 PM
Important question - are you naked?

Mmmm... older man.

Posted by nailbone on 08-28-07 at 02:57 PM
Yes, but covered in foam.

Posted by geg6 on 08-28-07 at 03:35 PM
*slithers up next to Boner and blows all the foam off*

Hmmm, appropos nickname, I see.

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of America." Thomas Paine

Posted by zipperhead on 08-28-07 at 03:40 PM
Stop it! Stop it this instant!!

What sort of thread do you think I'm running around here, anyway?!

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-28-07 at 03:51 PM
One that should require a cover charge, I'm beginning to think.

Naked beneath my clothes sigpic by Snidget, 2007

Posted by nailbone on 08-28-07 at 04:21 PM
Stop it! Stop it this instant!!

Shoo! Shoo! Go away!!!

Posted by geg6 on 08-28-07 at 05:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-28-07 AT 05:16 PM (EST)

>What sort of thread do you
>think I'm running around here,
>anyway?!

One that's ending up much more fun than it started out, that's for sure! LOL!

Edited to make just a little bit of sense.

Posted by zipperhead on 08-27-07 at 11:58 PM
People seem to be in a race to say, "Hey, I would get naked!" That's not the problem. I don't give a good goddamn who wants to get naked or who thinks they would have done it under those circumstances.

It's the coercion of people who weren't expecting to have to do it and the fact that it was completely unnecessary that are the problems, but nobody seems to be getting that.

Hey, I know! Let's have Eric eat pork! Or, wait... let's have Jameka rip pages out of her Bible! Who cares if it's something they would normally never do? If they're trying to win in this show, they damned well better be willing to do whatever demeaning thing we want them to do, right? Right?

Pretty pathetic excuse for entertainment if you ask me.

Posted by Snidget on 08-28-07 at 06:13 AM
If it were a show where the expectation was you wouldn't be filmed getting in and out of the shower, etc. maybe I'd feel differently.

I mean once you agree to camera's in the bathroom you've pretty much said you will do anything on camera. I do not know that they were told as to what to expect in the way of what they will be asked to do in competitions (given the show's theme is expect the unexpected I'm pretty sure they are told to expect anything and everything and had a chance to back out if they weren't willing, they didn't force them off the street and into the house). Even if you know there is an outside chance you might be asked to strip all your clothes off it can still be a bit of a shock when you find out now is the moment. Most of those who seemed most uncomfortable at first sure did seem to be fine with it as the competition when on.

I'm not sure why this nekkid competition is somehow more degrading or coersive than pouring disguting stuff on your head every hour for 24 hours or any of the other things that no person in their right mind would do on camera or off.

Was it gratuitous, absolutely. But so is pretty much everything else on the show.

Posted by geg6 on 08-28-07 at 08:45 AM
No one was coerced. They could have chosen not to do it. They signed up for it. If they didn't know what BB was, then shame on them. These are DAWs, dude. They'll do anything to get face time on TV or they wouldn't be here.

Posted by Dakota on 08-31-07 at 11:36 AM
>People seem to be in a
>race to say, "Hey, I
>would get naked!" That's not
>the problem. I don't give
>a good goddamn who wants
>to get naked or who
>thinks they would have done
>it under those circumstances.
>
>It's the coercion of people who
>weren't expecting to have to
>do it and the fact
>that it was completely unnecessary
>that are the problems, but
>nobody seems to be getting
>that.
>
>Hey, I know! Let's have Eric
>eat pork! Or, wait... let's
>have Jameka rip pages out
>of her Bible! Who cares
>if it's something they would
>normally never do? If they're
>trying to win in this
>show, they damned well better
>be willing to do whatever
>demeaning thing we want them
>to do, right? Right?
>
>Pretty pathetic excuse for entertainment if
>you ask me.

As for the I'd do it crowd, I don't doubt your sincerity and sitting here, I'm thinking I would too in a heartbeat. But then I remember how much easier sports and reality TV are from my living room.
One thing that bothers me is the lack of ingenuity, intelligence and creativity on the part of the producers of the show. Heck, they've got a gold mine on shows like BB and Survivor yet they come up with nudes behind bubbles and disgusting food challenges? Not to mention the pole standing or spider web hanging challenges. Do reality fans, other than me, just love watching this stuff?
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Posted by thecrossbowkid on 08-27-07 at 11:55 AM
Yes, It was necessary. Absolutely. I Teevo-Freeze Framed every bit of it, and, oh, hey, did you catch the naked sudzy embrace between Jameka and Jess when they won? BOOYA!!! I'd buy that for a dollar!

Maybe if the girls had agreed to start kissing each other in the suds they could have thrown in some shoes or handbags for them. Maybe next season.

Posted by nailbone on 08-27-07 at 12:30 PM
I thought it was stupid. With the blackouts of the live feeds during competitions, and network TV having to blur out tha nakeddidity, what was the point? The production crew got some thrills, I guess, but otherwise it was just unnecessary.

Posted by mattben on 08-27-07 at 03:33 PM
I have no problem with the lame idea to go nude -- it was obviously some salacious idea to get some buzz going. Despite the blurring, the girls looked good and unconcerned, except for maybe Daniele. It looked like the guys stayed in tight shorts. Maybe that was just earlier before they took 'em off.

My complaint is that they really didn't show 'em SOLVING the phrase all that much. It was just naked bouncing around.

<- strategically enhances sell with bubbles

Posted by nailbone on 08-27-07 at 04:10 PM
That's what's so stupid about it. Naked bouncing around that's all blurred out so no one can see anything anyway, except the production crew. Pretty pointless. The guys could only see the guys, the girls could only see the girls, and the viewers could only see the blurring.

Posted by Dakota on 08-28-07 at 00:01 AM
I agree it was trashy and unnecessary. The suds only had to be waist high to cover the guys, up to the neck for the women, so it's also quite the sexist scandal. Pushing reality TV contestants to eat something disgusting, do something humiliating or otherwise compromise themselves can be taken too far. While I don't know if I'd consider this "too far", it's one I'd put on the borderline.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Posted by AshLanie on 08-28-07 at 07:53 AM
First CBS has allowd an abuser to continue abusing.....then CBS shows Amber's montage regarding modeling (Which imho was unneccessary-Guess CBS felt it was ok to humilate another human being)....and now this nudity luxery comp.

Has tv and contestants sunk so low that this is now conidered entertainment?

I can see now why CBS never did anything about #####. They feel it is ok to hunmilate another human being on national tv (Amber).

BUT what was the purpose of the houseguests having to go nude? I don't understand the nudity to win a comp? As the original poster said they could have worn suits.

As for the explanation that well they forget and go nude after a shower is not a plausible argument. It is a memory break for a few seconds and is only on the feeds and not on national tv.

Bottom line it was all for ratings and money...both for CBS and the houseguests...

What is it called when someone strips for money/items?

Posted by Tamena on 08-28-07 at 08:20 AM
Just be thankful they didn't do this one while Chicken George was in the house?

gotta admit it was pretty tacky and imho it seemed that the girls' side was shown much more than the boys...
bathing suits would have been fine under those clothes and they could have reduced the bubbles to make a much more interesting show for the imaginative watchers LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

Posted by kingfish on 08-28-07 at 08:31 AM
"Bottom line it was all for ratings and money...both for CBS and the houseguests..."

Welcome to the real world, TV is 99% all about ratings and money. That's not a bad thing either, ratings (and money) enables the whole industry, including any TV one might approve of. In that light, Sesame street is as venal as almost-nudity on BB8.

Lets see, I guess I'd call it....stripping for money/items?.

You weren't going for prostitution I hope.

It's a great excuse for TV entertainment, reality BB8 style TV. It's PG with the whiteouts. It's not real actual nudity shown on TV to shock the blue-hairs, so I find it hard to imagine why any one would object to either subjecting the hamsters to a contest with nudity that is covered up, or to subject the audience to nudity that's not shown.

Although just the suggestion of nudity is enough to shock some people.

Bottom line, just good, wholesome, family oriented, entertaining (to many) TV, IMO.

Posted by geg6 on 08-28-07 at 10:09 AM
There are times I adore you. This is one. *smooch*

Posted by kingfish on 08-28-07 at 11:04 AM
This is when I use the Jumping fish sig.

Smooch.

Neck nuzzle, nuzzle.

Deep, bent over, body grinding, kiss that draws a 'whew' and makes sweaty undies for both of us (you are wearing undies?......nevermind, Zip wouldn't approve).

(I hope this was one of those times, too, and now I have to retire for a little while).

(Just joshing, Zip, the Devil made me say that. I know you're arguing a valid viewpoint).

Posted by geg6 on 08-28-07 at 11:39 AM
*panting heavily*

Mmmmmmm.

*runs off to ladies' room to check undies*

Posted by zipperhead on 08-28-07 at 12:02 PM
Don't make me spray you two with the hose.

Posted by zipperhead on 08-28-07 at 10:40 AM
...wholesome, family oriented...

*boggle*

There has been nothing wholesome or family oriented about BB since it's inception. Entertaining? Certainly. But nothing that 8-year-old kids should be watching.

Posted by AshLanie on 08-30-07 at 06:12 AM
>
>What is it called when someone
>strips for money/items?

>
>Lets see, I guess I'd call
>it....stripping for money/items?.
>
>You weren't going for prostitution I
>hope.
>

Hehhe No actually I was going for those females who dance nude in a bar....(Stip joints). Prostitution hadn't even crossed my mind.

Reason I felt no need for them to be nude is the show was during prime time...8 est my time. And the black outs (Not sure what they are called) they used to so called cover up certain parts didn't really work all that well.

IF the nudity had been later in the evening and effected the outcome of the comp then maybe I would not be so outspoken about it but it didn't effect the outcome so why do it?

Posted by Estee on 08-31-07 at 12:20 PM

Employment.

Posted by AshLanie on 09-01-07 at 07:00 AM
>What is it called when someone
>strips for money/items?

>
>Employment.
>
>
>

Heheheh, You got me there...

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-28-07 at 01:00 PM
I'm kinda surprised noone has mentioned the picking of teams aspect of this.

Jess picked the teams, right? What if she hadn't picked boys vs. girls? What if she drew straws or something and ##### and Danielle wound up on the same team? Would it have been great entertainment then, or something sick and preverted?

For that matter, what if Zach had landed on a team with any of the girls? It's well know they all think he's a bit creepy and probably would not want that much face time with a naked Zach, "Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to grab those. I was just trying to move some letters."

Posted by kingfish on 08-28-07 at 02:25 PM
I guess I missed when Jess picked the teams. But I'm guessing that the game rules card that she read from told her to pick girl and boy teams.

Otherwise, it would have been interesting as you say, and the network might have had something to say.

That is the next threshold, mixed nude competitions. And I still would vote for it, just to see what would happen.

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-28-07 at 02:37 PM
I guess I missed when Jess picked the teams. But I'm guessing that the game rules card that she read from told her to pick girl and boy teams.

-------------

Shop 'Til You Drop
The luxury competition is announced, providing some much appreciated distraction for the housemates. As HoH, Jessica chooses the teams as girls versus boys.

No. Jessica picked the teams. It was her decision. So, yeah, the perv factor could have been present if she chose differently.

Naked beneath my clothes sigpic by Snidget, 2007

Posted by AshLanie on 08-30-07 at 06:19 AM
> I guess I missed when >Jess picked the teams>. But
>I'm guessing that the game
>rules card that she read
>from told her to pick
>girl and boy teams.

>
>-------------
>
>Shop 'Til You Drop
>The luxury competition is announced, providing
>some much appreciated distraction for
>the housemates. As HoH, Jessica
>chooses the teams as girls
>versus boys.

>
>No. Jessica picked the teams.
> It was her decision.
> So, yeah, the perv
>factor could have been present
>if she chose differently.
>
>
>Naked beneath my clothes
>sigpic by Snidget, 2007

Jess said she was told by BB in the DR not to put ##### and Dani on the same team because of the contents of the comp. Jess said she knew something was up so she made it guys vs gals to be on the safe side.

Posted by kingfish on 08-30-07 at 11:54 AM
Thanks, Asley and Newsome. I really did miss that part.

Posted by samboohoo on 08-28-07 at 02:35 PM
Didn't bother me. Except for seeing any of Amber.

And it's not like you could see Danielle anyway.

Woo Hoo! I love me some Arkie!

Posted by toddE on 09-02-07 at 02:27 PM
Ok, this is only my second season watching BB, but I didn't even think that competition might upset someone. I really didn't think of it as any big deal. Of course, when I think of having to do that with, say, my office staff.....OMG I am horrified.

The worst thing I've seen on this show was when D!ck poured his drink on Jen. That was pretty bad and he didn't even appear to have gotten in trouble with that, even though it was totally physical aggression, I believe.