URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1144
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What's up with the Gaghans???"

Posted by ftaok on 10-05-05 at 11:10 AM
I watched the second episode last night and thought that they were getting booted. Alas, it didn't happen. But here's some unfounded comments about this family.

1. Did anyone notice how easily Mom Gaghan finished the Spy Roadblock? It was as if the spy was planted for the Gaghans to easily finish.

2. How f'n strong are the Gaghan parents???? They must be like the Hulk and She-Hulk. Every team who did the Battlefield Detour had trouble with it. Even the teams with 3 strong racers (i.e. Linz, Aiellos, Paolos). The Gaghans did it pretty quickly with just 2 adults. WTF???? Did CBS give them lighter soldiers???

ft

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What's up with the Gaghans???"
Posted by HistoryDetective on 10-05-05 at 11:42 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Gagging family, but I think that both things yu mention can be attributed to the editing. In an hour-long episode, we just didn't have time to see everything.

I'm nuts for Nutz ... and Syren too.
journal

Posted by Megacanuck on 10-05-05 at 11:46 AM
I agree - in a 1 hour show, the time shown in which people complete tasks is often misleading. Yes, they finished the roadblock quicker than some of the other teams, but that was pure luck, just as with so many of this type of roadblock. As for the detour, they probably paced themselves, went as quickly as they could, and took breaks as needed. Since they weren't last or second to last, there wasn't much point in focusing on them at the end of the show. For all we know, they could have been there for a couple of hours.

Posted by true on 10-05-05 at 11:52 AM
I dunno. I didn't think I'd like them, strictly from their introductions, but MY.GAWD. they seem super-human! Last week they pushed the buggy without problem or complaint. (granted their load was lighter, but that task practically KILLED other, seemingly stronger, teams!) Now this week, they haul soilders like they're feathers! All the other teams whine and complain about the difficulty of the tasks, and the Gaghans always have big smiles and don't even appear winded. It may be all in the editing, but I'm not so sure. It's freaky!

Posted by HistoryDetective on 10-05-05 at 12:07 PM
Yeah, but Pappa Gagging looks like he has man-breasts that could rival Phil's as he jogs along with his family in the opening montage.

journal

Posted by true on 10-05-05 at 12:53 PM
I'll admit they are a tad creepy, especially the Mister, but geeze, despite the snafu at the reflecting pond, they're kicking @ss in the physical challenges so far.

I doubt there is anyone on the board that I agree with on every single issue. Well, except true - all right-thinking people always agree with true. -Executive Princess Pooh

Posted by HistoryDetective on 10-05-05 at 01:26 PM
I'll admit they are a tad creepy

I thought you were talking about the man-breasts until I read further in the sentence.

journal

Not everybody can have a great rack.

Posted by warp_core breach on 10-05-05 at 02:13 PM
Yeah, I agree with you True.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with editing... but come on, two detours and both times they take the most physically demanding task and basically kick a$$?! And the first episode when it was a race to the pit stop and the Weavers got outrun by two kids (yeah, I know these kids run 100K marathons and climb Everest every three months... but still)?

Not sure what's going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if TAR reveals the truth behind this family - that they're really machines.

Siggie courtesy of Seana

Posted by RealityMom on 10-05-05 at 01:11 PM
My first thought when Phil discussed the two Detour options was that the producers purposely offered the oil one so that the families with the kids wouldn't be at a physical disadvantage. So when the Gaghans chose the Battlefield, I was sure they were in for trouble. When they completed the task without showing much or any actual footage of them, I thought "How the heck did they do that?" just like you did. Also, Phil said that there were 50 spies walking around with briefcases, were all the ones who still had briefcases still walking around at the very end, because the odds of finding someone would go down with each team? The time the Gaghans spent at the wrong reflecting pool was unbelievable. I can't believe they didn't ask if there were two pools a lot sooner. They started so strong and almost blew it completely.

Posted by bystander on 10-05-05 at 01:27 PM
I think the Briefcase Sky is Blue task was all about Luck. The 50 people were walking around the tidal basin so they just happened to have one walk by as they were arriving.

Posted by newsomewayne on 10-05-05 at 01:35 PM
Even if the 'sky is blue' spies quit once they traded cases, the odds would still increase for later teams. 10 out of 50; 9 out of 49, 8 out of 48, etc. To keep the odds the same, for each spy found out and quit walking, four non-spies would have to quit, too. I doubt this happened though.

Hit-n-Run siggies by Tribephyl, 2005

Posted by Rhyn on 10-05-05 at 01:39 PM
2. How f'n strong are the Gaghan parents???? They must be like the Hulk and She-Hulk. Every team who did the Battlefield Detour had trouble with it. Even the teams with 3 strong racers (i.e. Linz, Aiellos, Paolos).

Two slight boys on the Paolo team, three younger (but not necessarily strong) guys on the Linz team, and three married, past-their-20s (not that you have to be young or single to be successful in these challenges) men on the Aiello team...

Versus

Two tiny children and parents who run marathons. They might not be the strongest team in the world, but they have trained to increase endurance and stamina, and that's all these challenges are really about.

Most people, even out of shape, can carry another person, but they had to carry 5 across a very wide and sprawling field. That takes endurance and stamina, not brute strength. As someone who used to run recreationally, that counts for more than you are allowing. I have more strength now, I would guess, but I would have done better in these challenges when I was running and training daily.

And as to the first comment, the "spies" were roving. She got lucky. The spy was not planted.

Posted by Snidget on 10-05-05 at 02:12 PM
If they train for marathons that could make a huge difference.

The fittest looking peeps are not always the ones with the most endurance. Most of the people I know that do triathalons and marathons don't look that impressive physically, but would be able to kick butt on these kinds of physical challenges.

Being young and fit looking doesn't always mean you've got any real fitness.

There is always some team in these luck challenges that get the clue very fast and some that have really bad luck with them. Sometimes it is an early arriving team that has the worst luck and teams that arrive later when the odds should be worse get it right off the bat. (thinking the hay bale challenge last year where I think Phil finally had to leave the pitstop and go to the hayfield to eliminate them)

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 10-06-05 at 08:51 AM
There clearly are effects from the type of training you have.

Remember Lori and Bolo? When it came to raw strenght they were great - note the cannon balls and cannon event where they seemed to have no problems. On the otherhand Bolo sucked at the rope climb, being passed by girls with a fraction of his muscles.

It looks like the Gaghan bodies are in top shape, but are thier minds? Too many Lori & Bolo type slip-ups will doom they as well, they must start thinking carefully.

Posted by Cyndimaus on 10-05-05 at 02:01 PM
Did CBS give them lighter soldiers???

I think they all picked their own soldiers. I remember someone saying "there's one over there".

And like someone else mentioned, two in-shape adults and their in-shape kids would do well in a physical challenge while 4 out-of-shape adults (or even just 2 out-of-shape) would struggle. Also, I noticed that the Gaghans have great attitudes and sometimes that can make all the difference.

siggie by ARnutz

Posted by dragonflies on 10-06-05 at 09:14 AM
YOU better not be picking on my Mommy and Daddy! They Rock! We Rock! We are marathon runners!

dork

Posted by cahaya on 10-06-05 at 12:27 PM
That's my baby! (And be nice to her too, people! She doesn't put up with nonsense, even from adults.)

Posted by dragonflies on 10-06-05 at 02:36 PM
HI DADDY! *hugs*

now lets get moving, I've got wheels!

Posted by CattyChat on 10-06-05 at 10:05 AM
1. Editing -- we don't know how much time was actually spent in locating one of the 10 spies of the 50 people. Also, there were other teams who it appeared got lucky right away with finding their spy.

2. Cardiovascular fitness -- this family is fit & can handle the endurance. With 3-4 people carrying someone on a stretcher doesn't take that much strength -- heck when I went to wilderness camp as a preteen for serious "roughing it" & put through "survival" training, us skinny, tiny girls were able to carry a "victim" down a moutainside back to camp. It's all about fitness, not strength.

By the way, I love the Gaghans & am glad there is at least one family in there with young kids who are able to "hang" with the adult teams. They seem to be very well-behaved & well-adjusted children compared to most in this day & age. Do they get silly sometimes? Yes. Do they get a little arrogant? Yes. So do most of the adults in this race. I just don't see either of them as "brats." Now, the Paolo boys are another story -- spoiled, disrespectful brats.

Posted by Cyndimaus on 10-06-05 at 02:08 PM
I really like them too. They are one of my favorite teams. I just really appreciate their positive attitudes as they approach each thing they need to do. They kept pretty positive even when they spent hours searching for the clue box at the wrong reflecting pool. I was relieved that they weren't eliminated this time around.

siggie by ARnutz

Posted by true on 10-12-05 at 08:53 AM
They did it AGAIN! One pass on the mud track. It's freaky I tells ya, freaky!

I doubt there is anyone on the board that I agree with on every single issue. Well, except true - all right-thinking people always agree with true. -Executive Princess Pooh

Posted by dragonflies on 10-12-05 at 09:55 AM
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but mom's really a witch.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 10-12-05 at 05:14 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but mom's really a witch.

Quick! Let's edit in that SPECIAL challenge in Salem, MA.

Right, Elise? Elise?! . . . My, what a pointy hat you have.

Posted by cahaya on 10-12-05 at 10:55 AM
LAST EDITED ON 10-12-05 AT 11:00 AM (EST)

Sometimes it takes lightweights to be a TAR heavyweight!

Between Bill Gaghan's gun-it-and-dont-stop-for-anything driving and the light weight of the passengers, it turned out to be an easy task for them.

Posted by ginger on 10-12-05 at 11:17 AM
I just can't bash em. At least, not yet. The kids don't WHINE. They get 1,000,000 points for that, esp. if you compare them to the all-too-grown Mama Mia. The little girl catches signs like a Native American scout, the boy is a sarcastic midget (yes, that's a good thing), and all four of them kick ##### on the challenges.

I also think it interesting to see where having the little ones is a physical advantage, rather than a deficit.

But mostly I just think that little girl rools.

Posted by dragonflies on 10-12-05 at 11:32 AM
I *heart* Ginger

I used to have a cat named Ginger. She was a sweetie too.

Posted by noliferealityfan on 10-12-05 at 04:29 PM
>I just can't bash em.
>At least, not yet.
>The kids don't WHINE.
>They get 1,000,000 points for
>that, esp. if you compare
>them to the all-too-grown Mama
>Mia. The little girl
>catches signs like a Native
>American scout, the boy is
>a sarcastic midget (yes, that's
>a good thing), and all
>four of them kick #####
>on the challenges.
>
>I also think it interesting to
>see where having the little
>ones is a physical advantage,
>rather than a deficit.
>
>But mostly I just think that
>little girl rools.
>
>

since this is the bashers forum.. lemme help you with some of that bashing.....

there very very lucky people. lucky people are annoying. since there annoying they need to lose.....
there kids are cute but almost "too" cute.. ya know.. not quite human cute - not quite real.....maybe there aliens???
also there on the worst season of tar ever - and that in itself gets them a little bit of bashing -

Posted by mikey on 10-12-05 at 11:33 AM
On the mud stuff -- I had a feeling, we all must have -- that that was going to happen as soon as the Gaghans showed up at the mud pit. I was hoping that Billy and Carissa would be mooning the Aiellos as they went by in their truck.

Its not just weight this time. Collectively, they probably don't weigh much less than the Weavers, and the truck is going to be a lot more than the passengers.

Its not just editing -- one attempt versus 14.

Go Rugrats!

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 10-12-05 at 01:09 PM
You know, the Gaghans are really making me wish the Blacks showed a little more push in thier play. It would have been interesting to see if the F.E. of TAR really works best for families with little children.

I don't think the Gaghans will win as they always seem to make a mistake each leg and sooner or later that will catch up with them, but they are still better players than half the other teams.