URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID91
Thread Number: 1122
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Starting Over being cancelled?!!!"

Posted by KrisL on 02-15-06 at 08:05 PM
I emailed my local TV station this week to find out why S.O. isn't being shown. Here is the response I received back from the station:

"Starting Over" will return on Monday, February 27th, at 12noon. With NBC airing the Olympics at 4:00pm, M-F from February 13th - 24th, we had an extra hour of programming, which meant we had to pre-empt one of our
syndicated programs. Originally, we had planned on pre-empting "Tyra", but when we were notified by the producers of "Starting Over" that it is
being cancelled in September, we decided to air a program that we know will be onour air next September.

CANCELLED IN SEPTEMBER? Does anyone else know about this? If this is true, then we only have a few more months of new episodes b/c they always show re-runs over the summer. I'm assuming this news is true, since it came from the TV station here. Crazy.......

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Starting Over being cancelled?!!!"
Posted by Alpharedhead on 02-15-06 at 08:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-15-06 AT 08:35 PM (EST)

Last I heard, it was "on the bubble", which is network speak for "chances of renewal are slim to none, and 'slim' has a real bad cough'." Guess the bubble burst.

Not too surprising... I think after Bunim died, the show just sort of lost focus. It was her baby, I think.
~AR~

"Bump - Please Read"
Posted by mysticwolf on 02-16-06 at 07:51 PM
The mods and board owner have discussed it, and we're going to leave this thread open so that others have an intuitive place to put responses they receive from their local stations on the fate of SO.

There is also discussion and information about potential cancellation going on in the Olympic suspension thread, and in this thread in Spoilers: http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=187&forum=DCForumID90&omm=0

In addition to this posters response, we have heard of similar Program Manager responses from stations in Houston and Colorado (although we don't know which station in CO, as the poster didn't say).

In both of the threads I have referenced, Cygnus has given an excellent explanation of how these decisions are made by the various stations, as well as suggestions on how you would go about expressing your displeasure.

Please keep in mind that SO is a syndicated show, so airing it, or not, is up to whatever local station in your area is showing it - not the broadcasting network that the local station is affiliated with. (In other words, just because it is on an NBC affiliate in your area does not mean that NBC has anything to do with it. In other areas it might be on CBS, etc. It is, in all cases, the local station that you would need to contact.)

Additionally, continuing to produce new episodes is up to B-M to decide. They can be contacted via the SO website. (Although, having fired their web site staff, I don't know if they read comments sent to the board any longer.) A better way might be to contact them via snail mail using their corporate office address.

And, as a reminder, these boards have no affiliation with the show at all. We can do nothing to affect the continued production or airing of the show, nor can we contact every affiliate in the country on your behalf to find out what their specific plans are.

Good Luck.

A Syren Spring

"RE: Seattle/Tacoma/Everett"
Posted by tac_2 on 02-16-06 at 08:41 PM
rec'd a few days ago:

, thanks for writing us regarding STARTING OVER. There are still plenty of new/first run episodes of the show that will continue to air throughout February and on into all of May. There are occasional dates where repeats are scheduled. All episodes are scheduled by the distributor (NBC Universal). We believe the show may not return next fall, but we remain contracted to air the show through 9/8/06. So, as you say, they may have wrapped up production, but there are still plenty of new episodes produced that will air during the rest of this season.

Thanks & regards,

SHERI LIGUORI

Programming Coordinator

KCPQ - Q13 Fox - Tribune TV NW

Seattle-Tacoma-Everett

Posted by Snidget on 02-17-06 at 01:08 PM
bump up to the top.

"There still may be hope..."
Posted by Sahara on 02-19-06 at 11:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-19-06 AT 11:46 PM (EST)

A friend of mine, the one who started the petition to save SO, received this email from a producer on the show. I asked her permission to share this, and she had permission from the producer. She did verify the email.

Hi,

My name is __________ and I have been an editor/producer on "Starting Over" for all 3 seasons.

I cannot tell you how excited I (and my co-workers) are that you have started this petition. We have poured our hearts into this show for the last 3 years and want nothing more than to see it return.

The petition should really be aimed at NBC/Universal. Bunim/Murray wants to do the show.
In fact, the place to send the petition is to every station that airs the show across he country!

By putting pressure on the stations this petition could really make a difference! NBC/Universal should also be notified. They haven't decided to renew the show yet. Also a posting on the ___________ board would help to let more people know about it.

We are so honored that you love the show as much as we do!!!
Keep up the good work!

Please feel free to contact me,

So if you would like to sign the petition to keep SO going, there is a link to it on the Starting Over Links thread (post #83). And this further shows that it may help to contact your local station that offers the show. Evidently it is NOT a done deal yet. It also may help to contact NBC/Universal. I am posting contact information for NBC Universal in the Starting Over Links thread (post #101). Let's not give up!

ETA post numbers.

AF 2006

"RE: There still may be hope..."
Posted by PleasantOne on 02-26-06 at 04:27 AM
I also got a response from programming at KOAA in Colorado Springs that the show is being cancelled. I don't know if it will do any good, but I would love to sign this petition... can someone tell me where to find it? I browsed the posts, and also tried searching for "petition", and "starting over links", but all I got back was this thread...

Ash

Posted by Sahara on 02-26-06 at 12:17 PM
Go to this link. Then find post #83. That is the link to the petition. If you still can't find it, pm or email me and I'll send you the link.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID91/27.shtml

AF 2006

Posted by mjd on 03-02-06 at 06:58 PM
I talked to Rhonda Britten we have to call NBC and all affiliates over and over We have to start a massive call in campaign. Petitions don't get results. Jamming their phone lines will

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 05:49 PM
Starting Over's producer doesn't want want to doesn't wan't to drop it; NBC/Universal does. That's great news! Maybe we still have a chance

Posted by nebiyah on 09-07-06 at 11:51 PM
This is great news. I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. Rhonda, Iyanla, and Dr. Stan is very well needed.

Posted by Snidget on 02-21-06 at 12:57 PM
bump

Posted by DonnaNewtown on 02-21-06 at 03:03 PM
No I did not hear about this. I will be very disappointed if it is cancelled. It is the only show I watch on a regular basis. I am so angry that Judge Judy is on every day. Is the show still being shown elsewhere. Are we missing the show or is it in repeats? Also, what happened to Lisa? I missed the show for a couple of days and I noticed she was gone. DId she graduate or was she just thrown out of the house for lying about Mr. Internet? She was a real character who I did not see make much progress over the weeks. Please let me know what happened. Thanks

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 02-21-06 at 03:43 PM
Welcome to the boards.

Is the show still being shown elsewhere.

Yes.

Are we missing the show or is it in repeats?

Yes.

Also, what happened to Lisa? I missed the show for a couple of days and I noticed she was gone. DId she graduate or was she just thrown out of the house for lying about Mr. Internet? She was a real character who I did not see make much progress over the weeks. Please let me know what happened. Thanks

The various threads on Lisa in the Individual HG forum will tell you.

Posted by cutelilram on 02-22-06 at 10:01 PM
If it is going to be cancelled by NBC, maybe one of the women's television networks will pick it up, like Oxygen, Lifetime, or WE.

Posted by mysticwolf on 02-22-06 at 11:58 PM
NBC simply distributes it. Cancellation will occur because local station affiliates (not all of whom are NBC affiliates) choose not to pick it up, causing B-M to choose not to continue to produce it.

If B-M chooses not to produce it any longer there won't be any new episodes for the "women's" networks to pick up. As it is, they could pick it up now if they chose, and they could certainly choose to pick up the repeats if the local stations choose not to do so following the end of production.

If you want to continue to see new seasons it is B-M you need to lobby. Secondarily, lobbying local stations &/or one of the others to pick up the options giving cause to B-M to continue production might be productive.

NBC, itself, neither cares nor has any control over it. They are simply a conduit for distribution to whomever wants to carry it.

A Syren Spring

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 07:12 PM
I hope Starting Over doesn't get picked up by Oxygen, because I don't have that channel. Keep me updated

Elmo629@optonline.net

Posted by newgirl1 on 02-24-06 at 01:09 PM
I asked someone I know (affiliated with the show) and a very reliable source who told me that the show is probably going to end its run in September because Jon Murray, one half of the Bunim/Murray team has decided to phase out Bunim/Murray productions because of some red tape regarding the shows and Mary Ellis Bunim's estate. I think he wants to start with a clean slate under his own company since Mary Ellis Bunim passed away. So that means...see you later Starting Over. I was so bummed when I heard. I love Starting Over and I intend to sign the petition. Unfortunately, I think if the show is property of Bunim/Murray Productions, a petition won't have any effect. It's not like the individual stations have decided to cancel or that it is a matter of ratings. It would be Jon Murray's decision to end its run.

RIP STARTING OVER. YOU WERE A GREAT SHOW.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 02-24-06 at 03:41 PM
Damn. I've been outed.

*tells Nicole and Paris to zip their lips*

Posted by lovemydogdude on 02-24-06 at 04:26 PM
I have been thinking about Jill's deal at the house. They surprised us with a delayed graduation..created 3 new goals out of the blue..I know I might sound crazy but oh well..I think she was offered a starting over related talk show for next season. She admitted desire to return to radio but NOW all of a sudden she mentions tv!? This could explain why they suddenly wanted to help her compile her demo. JMO thanks for listening.

Posted by Kattrikk on 02-25-06 at 03:18 PM
Hi, Julie-

During the Olympics, we've had to juggle our schedule around a bit to fit most everything in. We already air Starting Over on our sister
station, KQCA (channel 58), so it was decided that we'd preempt the run on KCRA.

Starting Over returns to its regular time on Monday. In the long-term, however, it is true that this is the last season of Starting Over. It will no longer be in production, Unfortunately. We'll be carrying it on at least one of our stations through the end of the run--sometime in late
August or early September.

Regards,
Anne / KCRA-KQCA

Posted by surf22 on 02-25-06 at 11:23 PM
Nnnnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!
I am very disturbed by this.
Boo, I say to you Jonathan Murray. You're an evil, evil, man.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 02-26-06 at 07:56 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-06 AT 08:10 AM (EST)

Yes, I am. And I love love love being me.

Okay, enough of this. This is me, Cyg, talking.

This is the third year SO has been on. When it started, it really found a niche with women 25-54. But I think in that time the show has had much more competition for that demographic, especially with shows like Ellen and Tyra.

What Murray and BMP are (all but certainly) doing is making a business decision. They're not getting the return on their investment. Unlike other BMP shows like RW/RR and The Simple life, this show is on every weekday. It's more of a grind to produce, and if the ratings aren't there, there's no reason to keep up the effort.

And what Okla says below is true; petitions accomplish nothing. Also, do the math: Even if the show had only 1 million viewers, 2,000 signatures is 2/100ths of one percent of its viewership.

ETA link to latest ratings numbers from Broadcasting and Cable. Although it says SO has hit "season highs", the 1.2 is piddly compared to other shows.

It's even trailing "Judge Alex," a show with which I'm not familiar.

Posted by OklaBlue on 02-25-06 at 11:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-02-06 AT 08:22 PM (EST)

Bottom line is always money.

Posted by Cleverone on 02-27-06 at 06:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-06 AT 06:55 PM (EST)

Unfortunately, I've been informed by our station manager in my area that this is to be the last season they are airing the show...they have no say-so and are displeased themselves as they have received a tyrade of complaints....and to think they're keeping Tyra (which I deplore) on .
....this SO show was meaningful and had a lot of depth and helped to change things in people's lives...all we need is another talk show to add to the "mess-fest". It's sooo sad that they don't think everyday people are interested in what this show has to offer.
...What'll I do after this show???....as I'm a loyal fan....I suffered withdrawal during the summer while they showed reruns...seriously ...the sorriest thing is...that we can do nothing about it.

"I walk in my own shoes..."

Posted by Snidget on 03-02-06 at 03:07 PM
bump back to page one.

Posted by mjd on 03-02-06 at 06:56 PM
Call NBC and all their affiliates if you want to stop the show from being cancelled.. I call ed The Fearless Living Institute and Rhonda Britten answered the phone. She said that the only way we can help is to start a massive call in campaign. We are women we can do anything CALLCALL CALL CALL

Posted by Cleverone on 03-02-06 at 11:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-02-06 AT 11:26 PM (EST)

Thanks MJD....I AMwoman and I AM fearless...I'll do just that!!!! CALL!!!CALL!!!

"I walk in my own shoes..."

Posted by GuyStartingOver on 03-02-06 at 11:32 PM
I'm not a woman, but my phone works just as well. Hey guys, a little help over here - ??

Posted by bo on 03-08-06 at 01:20 PM
>Call NBC and all their affiliates
>if you want to stop
>the show from being cancelled..
> I call ed The
>Fearless Living Institute and Rhonda
>Britten answered the phone.
>She said that the only
>way we can help is
>to start a massive call
>in campaign. We are
>women we can do anything
>CALLCALL CALL CALL

Would it be "legal," ethical, etc. to post the phone numbers to call on here? And if so, could someone who knows them please do so? I wouldn't know where to begin trying to figure out who to call . . . but if given the numbers, I bet we can gets LOTS of people to call.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 03-08-06 at 03:51 PM
Start with your local SO affiliate. Ask to talk to the program director.

No, I don't want dozens of phone numbers on here.

"RE: Starting Over being cancelled?!!! - Memphis Area update"
Posted by rayna1 on 03-03-06 at 08:09 AM
Here is the following email I received from my local station (Memphis Area, WMCTCV5, 10AM-11)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Starting Over
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:20:31 -0600

Thanks for your letter. I am sorry, but due to Starting Over’s very low ratings, WMC has decided to pre-empt some of the episodes in March with other programming. Starting Over will continue to run on Tuesdays and Thursdays and it should return to a regular schedule at the end of the month.

Sincerely,

Juli Scobey

"RE: Starting Over being cancelled?!!! - Memphis Area update"
Posted by amchess on 03-03-06 at 06:22 PM
My reply from WMOR-TV in Tampa let me know they love the show too and watch it, but they can't do anything about a cancellation.

"Get a load of this..."
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 03-04-06 at 09:26 AM
If SO is being cancelled here, it looks like it's being outsourced.

The initial phase of the deal entails co-development of Bunim-Murray's "Starting Over" for the U.K. and Italy, with plans to localize "The Scholar" for Hindi-language broadcast in India.

Why "The Scholar" is a whole another post. But I reckon this merely means they're going to show reruns of SO in the UK and Italy. I guess maybe Hindi-dubbed SO may follow? Who knows.

I simply can't imagine there being a new SO set in India, not with the second-class treatment of women there.

Bellhaven-Sewell in '08! Let's have REAL criminals in the White House!

"RE: Get a load of this..."
Posted by Shazbot on 03-07-06 at 01:45 PM
Well - I would love to have a tape of the Hindi version of SO. Can you imagine Allison hyperventilating with a Hindi-dub!!!

But I digress. It does seem this SO season has been milking the audience for everything it can... stretching everything out, replacing the hour with charity-mercials. The show has alienating its audience. I think they're desperate and on their way out.

Posted by ddramcgee on 03-09-06 at 03:07 PM
Agreed-and just to throw in my local info on this topic, KMBC channel nine (ABC) affiliate from the Kansas City, Missouri area says pretty much the same as the others. No offical word but it doesn't look like it's coming back in the Fall, in fact they are looking for something for SO's time slot right now.

Posted by justsaynototoughlove on 03-23-06 at 04:38 AM
If Bunim is working with Diverse and Diverse is in NY and working with Bunim in the US and this is dated April (which it is not yet) 2006, what's up? Will Diverse make an SO version with Bunim and push it in the US too? Seems odd.

Posted by mrspicklepants44 on 05-19-06 at 02:02 PM
Looks like we are going to be seeing the Andy and Rhonda show... oh no...

Posted by wzmartin on 04-06-06 at 04:27 PM
The latest on SO's future: http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_3939.asp

In a nutshell...
"What's different for next season, and what could put the noose around 'Starting Over,' is the impending arrival of the new talk show 'The Megan Mullally Show,' another NBC property. As of January, 'Mullally' has been cleared in 70 percent of the country, including big markets like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco. The show is slated to premiere in September.

"Whether 'Over' survives will ultimately come down to whether NBC stations can find room for both shows. If not, 'Over' will be over. NBC is mum as to the show's future at this point."

Posted by sharnina on 04-06-06 at 04:44 PM
On the one hand they didn't say it was actually over - Yeah!!
On the other hand, I want my life back. Booo!!

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

Posted by TruGoodness on 04-07-06 at 10:57 AM
I am in email correspondence with a former houseguest and she says they stop audutions completely. The show is done.

http://www.AmericanInventorSpot.com

Posted by annie828 on 04-07-06 at 01:21 PM
GOOD RIDDANCE! This show lost all of it's integrity with me.

Ally was inspiring the first time: should of left that one alone!

Christina was a joke....they taught her that making money is as easy selling crummy artwork at a flie market....and for that "exceptional SO advice" I hear she is back on the "dancing" market.

And how can we forget the biggest joke of SO history: Lisa1, need I say more?

...and to prove how phoney SO really is...Selling a book with a bit about Christie. Everybody knows, books are not written and published overnight

Rhonda brought Christie in the house to promote her book!

How real is that? Good Riddance SO! Bu buy

Posted by mysticwolf on 04-15-06 at 05:11 PM
bump

An Arkie curious cub

Posted by sweet cheeks on 04-15-06 at 11:47 PM

Whats with all the bumps???

Posted by bookwomanblue on 04-16-06 at 08:02 PM
Has the cancellation been announced officially? I still haven't seen anything from Bunim/Murray or NBC. Anyone else?

Posted by JustBNMe on 04-16-06 at 09:42 PM
No per Rhonda they have until June 30th to decide if it is renewed or not.

Posted by dopeydwarf on 04-16-06 at 09:24 PM
I think it is so we'll see it and do something about it.(Phone calls, petition, etc.)

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

Posted by sharnina on 04-23-06 at 01:08 AM
Bump

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

"I am heartbroken"
Posted by tksinclair on 04-23-06 at 10:00 PM
It's so sad to see a show that offers so much go into the can.

I wish there was something the viewers can do but I guess not. I've signed the petition but it has less than 6,000 signatures. I would plead to sponsors to keep the show on the air but if the production company is fizzling I guess there is no hope.

Sad. So sad. The show has helped me in so many ways. I work full time, care for both grandmother's (90 and 94) and my niece and nephew (9 and 11) are now living with me because of my sisters drug abuse. I lost my home in the Malibu fire, was divorced the same year after finding out my husband was embezzeling from my company and my best friend killed her daughter (6-years old and named after me) and then committed suicide. I was also assaulted at work and when I first started watching the show was on workman's comp recuperating. Because of workman's comp and the assault I had to go to the This show has helped me work through so many of these issues I can't begin to tell you. It's the only "therapy" I can afford and have time for.

I'm just sick I will have to say good-bye to Rhonda.

Rhonda, if you ever read this I just want you to know you have helped me SO MUCH. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

"RE: I am heartbroken"
Posted by sharnina on 04-23-06 at 11:09 PM
You have been through a lot. I can't even imagine the pain you have endured. Maybe you could write a note to Rhonda at her website. Check the SO Website thread or just do a search for her. I think her last name is Britten.

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

Posted by mapleleaf on 04-23-06 at 11:59 PM
When Rhonda was saying goodbye to Bethany, she told her that down the road, after she works through more of her grieving at home, she is welcome to come back to the Starting Over house. That sounded as though there would be a next season. Thoughts?

Posted by BeeBe on 04-24-06 at 03:51 AM
Rhonda did say that to Bethany, but I thought two things about it. First, that it took some of the finality out of Bethany's decision to leave, so she wouldn't feel ao uncomfortable about it - after all she has had enough permanent goodbyes for anyone to take at one time. Second, I thought she was inviting Bethany to come back any time she wanted to this season, to check in, visit, do an exercise or two - not to graduate but just for a "refresher" if she wanted one. I am sure Bethany she asked they would welcome her back on that basis.

I think renewal of the show is too out of Rhonda's hands for her to know the show will be back next season. I can't find anything to suggest it will OR won't be - yet. I have emailed my local station and am awaiting a response .... Fingers crossed!!

Posted by BeeBe on 04-24-06 at 12:49 PM
Here's the answer I just got this a.m. from my local station. Better sit down ladies ....

"Starting Over will remain on our schedule through the summer, however the program has been canceled, so we won't be able to continue airing it.

The last new episode will air in mid-May. I wish I had better news for you and the many viewers who love the show. Nationally, it just didn't have much viewership so production of Starting Over was ended."

A moment of silence, please.

Posted by Shazbot on 04-24-06 at 10:46 PM
So I guess there are about three weeks to graduate Christie and Jodi, and then Niambi and Antonia's problems will have to be wrapped up (am I missing someone). I guess that's why they're having a return guest.

Oh well, I've been waiting for this day! It has just been taking up too much of my time. I was telling myself I wouldn't tune in this fall even if it was on, but there would be another winter to get through... and then I would be addicted. But now, I CAN'T.

But I'm glad I watched it. I think I learned a lot, but nothing will top the first season in Chicago for me.

Oh, and these boards, well that was fun too, not that the boards are going anywhere.

Posted by staceeturner on 04-25-06 at 01:35 PM
I'm very very confused, cause yesterday as I was watching the show on the commercial it said like it use to all the time to look up on the internet to see how you can become a cast member???? So what is that all about? makes me wonder. if there is not going to be another season why would they do that?

short&sassy

Posted by alaholly on 04-25-06 at 04:58 PM
"Why do they do that?"
Just to keep people tuned in. If they talked like the show was over people might move on. (Except for us, lol) Or maybe it was simply recorded previously and they just left it in the rotation.

I think that's why they keep recyling old HG's. They can keep things going until their time runs out without having to cast new people. Just my theory...

"Starting Over status for next fall."
Posted by skorped on 04-25-06 at 06:08 PM
I e-mailed my local station that carries Starting Over here in Minneapolis, Minnesota and they told me that they STILL had not heard if the program has been cancelled. Surely they would know. I heard that another person had heard from their station that the show had been cancelled. How come one station has heard and another station has not. What is the problem.

"RE: Starting Over status for next fall."
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 04-25-06 at 06:38 PM
That could simply be their way of handling queries on it. Or maybe they genuinely haven't heard. It's ultimately up to each individual station to agree whether to carry the show after being approached by NBC/Universal, the distributor.

We have also seen conflicting information as to whether BMP is even making another season of SO. It could have to do with what information each affiliate chooses to reveal. Our board owner called BMP's PR person and got a runaround; they wouldn't confirm or deny anything. I routinely search Broadcasting and Cable and other trade publications to see if anything has leaked out.

Me, I wouldn't make plans to be watching this show this fall.

Better than I deserve. So's this sig by tribephyl.

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 08:39 PM
Rhonda's helped alot of us? <<--crying

Posted by L_11 on 04-25-06 at 06:53 PM
I'm flying in and out now, so forgive me if this has already been posted. But I see from the promos that they're bringing in YET ANOTHER re-tread as the "new HG" (is it Tess, Deborah, Christine II...?, blah blah blah). Yeah, it looks more and more to me like it's over. Tying up loose ends as it were, and maybe even squeezing out the last drops 'til wrap.

It feels weird, but I gotta agree with the post-er one or two up. It's become like a headache I'm addicted to anymore. For me, I think I'll be better off without it.

I think.

Posted by tac_2 on 04-27-06 at 00:25 AM
>
It's become
>like a headache I'm addicted
>to anymore. For me, I
>think I'll be better off
>without it.
>

>I think.

Ditto.
The women are all starting to even look and sound the same to me. Except for Cassie, that is. I wanted to watch her scene today because I had to confirm this show is total B.S.

Posted by ChristinaJB on 04-30-06 at 00:20 AM
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_3939.asp

For 'Starting Over,'
it may well be over

Syndicated show up for another tough renewal

By Abigail Azote
Apr 6, 2006

Every year it seems to be the same question: Will it or will it not come back? And each year the syndicated show seems to slide down the right side of the bubble, winning renewal despite the lack of really strong ratings.

That’s the story of “Starting Over,” the NBC Universal daytime reality show. And now, with three seasons behind it, the question arises once again, and its chances seem no less iffy for a fourth season. They may be more iffy.

“Over” is averaging a 1.1 household rating so far this season, flat from last year.

What's saved the show in the past is its strength in female viewers, delivering a higher concentration of those viewers relative to its household numbers. Season to date, “Over” is averaging a 0.8 rating among women 18-49 and a 0.9 among women 25-54.

For sure, those are not big numbers, and in fact they're down 12 percent from what the show was averaging at this point last year. Yet they’re competitive with “Martha” and outpace “Tony Danza,” both higher-profile shows.

“Starting Over” is a reality show that follows six unhappy women who attempt to turn their lives around. They all live in one house, where two life coaches and a psychologist help them achieve their goals.

What's different for next season, and what could put the noose around “Starting Over,” is the impending arrival of the new talk show “The Megan Mullally Show,” another NBC property. As of January, “Mullally” has been cleared in 70 percent of the country, including big markets like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco. The show is slated to premiere in September.

Whether "Over" survives will ultimately come down to whether NBC stations can find room for both shows. If not, "Over" will be over. NBC is mum as to the show's future at this point.

“It’s always a question of available time periods,” says Bill Carroll, director of programming at Katz TV Group, “and with fewer available time periods, you have to potentially sacrifice something.”

Posted by beautyboyknockout on 04-30-06 at 11:26 AM
I heard they will definetly know June 30th if they renew or cancel.

Posted by ChristinaJB on 04-30-06 at 11:42 AM
Thanks, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Uhmph.

Posted by creepyoldwoman on 04-30-06 at 05:28 PM
I signed the petition but if petitions don't work, then what about a boycott? I mean, everyone is threatening stuff these days to get what they want and boycotts are happening all of the time. So, what if we threaten a boycott of whatever show and their advertisers and their products that replace Starting Over? I know there are probably a lot of shows which will replace it due to all of the time differences..

We have nothing to lose. For myself, I really have no interest in another self absorbed, boring celebrity talk show in SO's place. I mean, pay me for having to listen to their verbal spam about whatever movie they are in or book they wrote. Who cares.

When a channel that used to show SO here stopped showing and put on Millionaire, I just didn't watch it. If most affiliates are going to show the Megan Mcally show in SO's place and most of us are in that show's desired viewership, then a boycott would be most annoying to them. Isn't Megan Mcally from Will and Grace? The squeaky voiced one?

In case it's really over, I must say that it truly helped me understand myself and people close to me. It also brought to light issues that I didn't know I had a problem with and brought about healing conversations between myself and DH. Whatever goes in it's place, will never hold a candle to Starting Over.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 04-30-06 at 06:13 PM
Considering the paltry number of people (as a percentage of those who watch the show) who have signed the petition, I can't see how a sponsor boycott by that few would change anyone's mind.

I bet those other shows are cheaper to produce.

Posted by Shields4SO on 05-03-06 at 04:04 PM
Althought I think it a long shot for getting SO renewed, I signed the petition too and plan to call the local SF affiliate as well. My wife and I both love the show and have learned so much for/about ourselves. I read on someone's post awhile back that they called Rhonda's Fearless Living phone number and actually spoke to Rhonda. So I tried it about a month ago and was able to speak directly with her primary assistant about the show. She said that Rhonda plans to either do SO4 or continue LCing by creating some other similar type of show if SO is not renewed. She apparently has built up quite a list of contacts during the past 3 seasons and will push to get something else going. Her assistant seemed to believe that one or the other would happen. I also read on another website that Iyanla, whom lives in Silver Springs, MD(or somewhere near that City) does not plan to return no matter what, that she had already made up her mind during the SO3 season. Obviously that is only a rumor at this point, have yet to find anything to substanciated this. But my wife and I would be very sad if SO continued without her, she is terrific!! We have a great deal of respect for her.

If I can live a little more fearlessly, I'll try Iyanla's contact phone number too and see what they say. Thanks Rhonda and Iyanla!!!! I hope you both will still be in the public eye for all of us!

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 09:00 PM
Someone let me know happens please an Elmo629@optonline.com I'll be in Canada

Posted by sharnina on 05-17-06 at 11:20 AM
Bump

Posted by GoodnightLittleBear on 05-17-06 at 11:31 AM
This is the onl,y thing I found and they still gave nothing concrete.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9995

Posted by tac_2 on 05-17-06 at 11:37 AM
It appears not only did Bunim/Murray lose interest but also NBC Universal. Still nothing definite but it's sure not looking good, especially since Nielsen reported a 20 percent drop in viewers from last season.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9995

Posted by Seabisquit on 05-17-06 at 12:40 PM
I'm just wondering where will all the great posters go after the SO show ends...I will surely miss you.

Posted by BimBo on 05-17-06 at 02:10 PM
>I'm just wondering where will all
>the great posters go after
>the SO show ends...I will
>surely miss you.

I second that!!!!

Posted by trista on 05-17-06 at 06:55 PM
I for one, I did not see any petition to sign anywhere. I would have signed it, I would have called, tell me who to call. I will call my stations here, NBC, whoever it takes. Maybe that is part of them problem, there are others out there who can't find these things.

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 09:23 PM
Here's the petition link for people that missed it:

Starting Over Status
Hopefully we get enough signatures on the following petition so the show doesn't get dropped in the fall.

Starting Over Fans
NBC has set up a SO viewer phone number. Please call 1-818-777-0244 to express your continued support of Starting Over. If you haven't done so please go and sign the petition to save the show.
http://new.petitiononline.com/DC0531/petition.html

Posted by tamster52 on 05-17-06 at 06:57 PM
Wow!!! You'd think all the people on the SO boards would be enough to keep it going. While most of them are negative, what the hell, they're watching, and that's all they care about are ratiings. They don't care if you like it or not, just that you watch it. I personally love it, and would miss it terribly if it got canceled. They could however read the boards and figure out that we wish they would go back to the first season "style".

"Be not afraid of changing slowly; be afraid only of standing still."

Posted by creepyoldwoman on 05-18-06 at 10:54 AM
>>I'm just wondering where will all
>>the great posters go after
>>the SO show ends...I will
>>surely miss you.
>
>
>I second that!!!!

I "third' that. lol. I guess we will all go to the left side of the forums under cancelled shows. Looks like we'll be between "Playing it straight" and 'The Real Gilligan's Island".
I guess for a while we could have some photoshop fun if there's any photos saved from the show. I also guess we could dish about hg's websites, blogs, my spaces and the LC's current and future projects. But I sadly suspect that over time, we will begin to disappear. Perhaps if we hang on long enough, someone will come along and see there's an audience waiting for it's defunct show and let's get to producing it...... Yea..I don't believe it either.

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-18-06 at 00:16 AM
Rhonda spoke in Chicago last night and said it is not likely that SO will be renewed but no definite decision has been made yet. If it is not renewed it is NOT due to the ratings because the ratings are good. The issue is that NBC is having legality issues with some reality shows so they are cutting them back drastically.

Posted by BimBo on 05-18-06 at 07:45 AM
Did'nt I read elsewhere (further back on this thread maybe), that it was also said/rumored that even tho IV is done, Rhonda has plans for a new project?? A show thats similar to SO??
It's been discussed here that this is why she's been putting soooo much emphasis on this 5k fiasco. It's serves as a launch pad for her. If it were about the SOH, don't you think Iyanla would express some interest??? I know thats not the point here, but I don't think I've heard her acknowledge it once. Not very supportive. Nonetheless, I have watched this show from the very beginning and I too would really hate to see it go.

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-18-06 at 08:53 AM
Rhonda said in Chicago that she and Dr. Stan are looking into doing a radio program together and she and Andy are looking into possibly doing something for TV. She gave no other details as to what the programs might be like or anything-just said there is some discussion going on.

Posted by tac_2 on 05-18-06 at 01:24 PM
If
>it is not renewed it
>is NOT due to the
>ratings because the ratings are
>good. The issue is that
>NBC is having legality issues
>with some reality shows so
>they are cutting them back
>drastically.

Then I'm missing something if the ratings are considered 'good'. I thought the most recent Nielsen report showed a 20 percent drop in ratings compared to last season.

Personally, I think SO's time has expired in the 'reality' dept. of far too many viewers to make it worth producing another season. If they promoted it as something other than what it's become perhaps it would be savable but it would take a total overhaul. IMO, it's too late and doesn't deserve another chance.

(And Rhonda, in my eyes, can take partial responsibility for the demise of the show whether it's cancelled or not. It's no surprise she has something already in the works to replace her stint on SO because, next to Christie, I see her as the most authenic DAW of all.)

Posted by Shazbot on 05-19-06 at 01:05 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-06 AT 01:14 AM (EST)

I think NBC had a legal problem with a specific reality show... where they were swapping lifestyles between rich and poor people or something, but the show never made it to air (anyone else remember this?). But to say that that's the same as Starting Over, a show that's been running with success for 3 years... is just another example of a disengenous comment from Rhonda.

ETA - That's fine, they can go on and do their thing... but I think I will skip that whole train. I would buy a book by Dr. Stan though.

Posted by mysticwolf on 05-19-06 at 02:28 PM
The legal issues had to do with a show where neighbors in a conservative, homogenous, neighborhood "interviewed" a variety of families with different lifestyles, races, family composition, etc. and vote to see who would be allowed to purchase the home next door.

A violation of discrimination, housing, and lending laws. The network pulled the show and it was never aired. It had nothing to do with SO or the rest of their reality line-up.

Puppy Lvoe from Tribe blogging's scary

Posted by Shazbot on 05-20-06 at 04:52 AM
Oh. Of course. Now I remember.

Thanks Mystic.

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-20-06 at 02:38 PM
If you go to www.meevee.com and then do Starting Over it says series finale at the end of Wednesdays preview. Looks like there will be no season 4. I feel deceived by Rhonda now since just this past week she said that there was a chance that SO would be on for a 4th season. However the contract she had for the show may have stated she couldn't give out any info until it was made public.

"RE: Starting Over being cancelled - seems official"
Posted by Nell on 05-20-06 at 10:32 PM
http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/starting_over/2006_May_17_fourth_season_unlikely

"Starting Over is not yet officially cancelled, but is not expected to return this fall

There will most likely not be a fourth season of the groundbreaking syndicated, daytime reality series Starting Over.

That’s because a new live series, iVillage Live, “is expected to replace the syndication division’s reality strip “Starting Over” on the NBC stations that carry the self-help show,” according to TV Week. The series “is not expected to return for a fourth season this fall, but a spokesman for NBCU Domestic Television Distribution said, ‘No decision has been made on a fourth season’ for the show.”

As TV Week notes, this isn’t the first time the show has faced cancellation; before the series was renewed a year ago, it “was on the bubble.”"

I'm so sad.

Posted by Snidget on 05-21-06 at 07:01 AM
From what I see on http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=starting_over that keeps track of the status of shows and ratings and stuff it hasn't been officially cancelled yet as they were still offering it to local stations. Probably the response of who will still want to carry it vs other shows like the one mentioned there will deterimine if it is back or not.

Posted by annie828 on 05-21-06 at 02:28 PM
I posted a link to a video preview in SPoilers and the mans VO at end of the finale....actually says that it is the "SERIES"
finale......it is over.

Posted by purplysue on 05-21-06 at 02:40 PM
I just watched the clip. When it first comes on, the video screen says, SEASON finale...not SERIES finale. If you listen closely to the voice, it also says, SEASON finale. (Unless I am looking in the wrong place)

Posted by Sahara on 05-21-06 at 11:53 PM
The one I heard most definitely said, "Series Finale".

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-22-06 at 07:31 PM
The last clip does clearly have the voice saying series finale. I gripe about parts of the show but it does provide some good insights at times and does provide comedy with the likes of Lisa1 and Jodi

Posted by purplysue on 05-21-06 at 02:43 PM
I am sad, too. I really like this show. I think it has helped alot of people who watch it. I hope they do decide to bring it back for another season.

Posted by mom2bre on 05-22-06 at 11:26 PM
I will definitely miss SO. I was finally working up my nerve to send in a tape. If you read on your guide for Wednesday's show, it does say "next season". What's up with that?

Posted by beautyboyknockout on 05-23-06 at 01:43 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-06 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

I just read that it is CANCELED! from Christies mybigbuttspace site.

Posted by rdsonia on 05-23-06 at 10:16 PM
Christie has updated her blog again with this:

"I stand corrected. This e-mail was forwrded to me. It is possible, but unlikely unless you all CALL!!!

Take a stand!

Christie

Help Save Starting Over!!!

I contacted NBC (Daytime Television Programing Division) at 818-840-4410 and spoke with Susan. I told her that the fans at SOT had been told that SO would not be picked up again. She went and checked and told me that SO HAS NOT BEEN CANCELLED. She said that the decision had not been made yet and that it may not be made until late summer. I told her that we at SOT were trying to save the show and she said that we should call the production company at 818-756-5100, but I explained that I had already done that and that I wanted to know who makes the final decision at NBC. She said a group of people do, but she wouldn't give me any last names.

Some of the first names of the people in that department were Anna Marie and Linda. They were not available, that's why I ended up talking to Susan. So even though she did not instruct me to, I am going to send letters to her office voicing my opinion. I tend to believe her department is the best one to concentrate on because I received the direct programming number for NBC 818-840-6046 from the office of Jeff Zucker CEO of NBC and they transferred me to Daytime Division."

Maybe there is hope yet.

Posted by Dayum Yankee on 05-24-06 at 09:37 AM
I have just been watching the season finale and Niambi stood up and said that she will be walking through the door of Starting Over again to finish her journey so perhaps there is a chance of it coming back next year.

Posted by watches too much on 05-24-06 at 09:59 AM
I just finished watching too and I hope there is a season 4 and keep the kleenex handy.

Posted by BimBo on 05-24-06 at 10:06 AM
I just finished watching todays show. It airs early here. I won't elaborate on details for I realize not all have seen it yet, but from what I saw today, I'm more convinced than ever that there will be no season 4. Todays show looked more to me like a SERIES finale and not a season finale. Anyone agree???

Posted by cute1 on 05-24-06 at 12:03 PM
But they left the door open for Niambi, didn't they? What will happen to her?

Posted by mom2bre on 05-24-06 at 12:45 PM
Another phone # was posted by someone replying to Christie's blog...the number is 818-840-4410. I have posted a bulletin on myspace so HOPEFULLY all of my friends will repost and so on and so on and everyone will flood NBC phones so they WON'T cancel the show. Today's episode was wonderful. I bawled like a baby.

Posted by bellyButton on 05-24-06 at 03:30 PM
i'm home alone days..well and nights mostly also so i watch alot of tv..and to think tho the SOH was alot of entertainment i never missed it (after i finally discovered it) and it has brought things in me to the surface and though at times difficult as a whole it has helped me..especially to show me there are women out there who don't hate other women. i'm very much a loner and to me the show became my friend good and the bad. I will cry if it's over. what does it say about ppl?...jerry springer and elimidate is still on....but we might lose the SOH? how sad.

Posted by librarian on 05-24-06 at 07:22 PM
I agree with you on so many levels. what a pity if this show ends.

Posted by tinaeve1 on 05-24-06 at 04:28 PM
>Another phone # was posted by
>someone replying to Christie's blog...the
>number is 818-840-4410. I
>have posted a bulletin on
>myspace so HOPEFULLY all of
>my friends will repost and
>so on and so on
>and everyone will flood NBC
>phones so they WON'T cancel
>the show. Today's episode
>was wonderful. I bawled
>like a baby.

I just called this phone number 818-840-4410 and was redirected to a Starting Over hotline,So CALL PEOPLE CALL!!! Let's bog them down with phone calls and bring this show back.I am disabled and have alot of issues.This show helps me sometimes to make it through the day. I know that this season was kinda hokey,but it can be improved.I would much rather watch Starting Over than someone eating worms and such like in lots of reality shows.To me,it is much more than entertainment.Call,please.

Posted by speechprof on 05-24-06 at 06:51 PM
Okay, I bit the bullet and called 1-818-840-4410. Although it's voicemail, the message indicated that all Starting Over messages are being tracted and logged. You can leave a voicemail message, too. So, call me a sucker. It's just a phone call. I've always been one for the underdog anyway. Yes, it's probably a LONG, LONG shot! Who knows it might just help. It certainly won't take much time. So, if you want to put your two cents in, CALL!!

Posted by firehousegirl on 05-24-06 at 03:28 PM
>But they left the door open
>for Niambi, didn't they? What
>will happen to her?

They need to throw her in the Lake somewhere with her pitiful @$$. That is one girl that makes me sick. She has no get up and go about her. She is always sitting in the corner. Let her go home and continue to let "Lucious" make a fool of her. I hope he makes her get two jobs to take care of him and his woman. She is an idiot. I can slap her silly. I haven't seen a woman that stupid since "Mobie ##### was a Minnah". I've now vented.

Posted by kia on 05-26-06 at 02:26 AM
Maybe you didn't hear this part of the conversation with Iyanla, but Niambi finally confessed to her that she was diagnosed with clinical depression, I think it was a year ago. Being a sufferer of clinical depression it is very difficult to get up and look good much less feel good a majority of the time. That's why she doesn't have any "get up and go" look to her, because she doesn't have any "get up and go." She's in the corner a lot because she's depressed and sad. Depression makes you do and feel things that you normally wouldn't do, hence the "Lucous" thing.

She doesn't need Iyanla, because Iyanla can't help her in the state she's in. She needs Professional therapy and medication to help her through the depression. jmho

Kia

Posted by purplysue on 05-24-06 at 04:48 PM
I was just browsing some other websites and came across one I thought everyone would be interested in, if you haven't already seen it. It is Starting Over Talk.com (small letters, no spaces between words)
There are phone numbers for NBC, to call and get the status of whether or not there will be a fourth season of Starting Over. I don't know if we are allowed to post those numbers on this message board, so I encourage you to go to that website and call. Maybe if enough of us call and give our input, they will see that this show has helped and will still help alot of people if they keep it on.

Posted by JustBNMe on 05-24-06 at 11:11 PM
Rhonda has posted on her website that NBC has set up the following # for SO viewers call 1-818-777-0244 to express your continued support of Starting Over.

Posted by mesha on 05-25-06 at 11:18 AM
I just read on Niambi's myspace site, that Iylana asked her to come back for the forth season. I wonder whats up with that? I live in Pa and i watch it on chanel 56 fox network. Maybe it just depends on what networks want to keep it going.

Posted by askia on 05-25-06 at 12:20 PM
Is there anyway to find out for sure?

Posted by Shazbot on 05-25-06 at 01:49 PM
I agree Bimbo. It really did seem like a Series Finale ending. If they did bring the show back, I'd like to see some better house guests. I think the issues on the show are very important, but they turned much of it into a joke.

Posted by Snidget on 05-25-06 at 03:12 PM
It seems like it is "on the bubble" not so bad they axed it out-right but not so good to get renewed right away.

There are some new shows coming out on syndication through NBC and it probably depends on who wants to pick up what. Most stations are not likely to take both, so it depends on how many stations want it.

You have to keep planing for it to keep going in case it is not cancelled. So there will be some mixed messages until the final decision is made.

Posted by ltlfighter on 05-25-06 at 02:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-06 AT 02:32 PM (EST)

Thanks for the info... I just tried calling and the vm is full, the other ext.is continously busy. I guess I'll have to try again later... I really hope this show can be saved. Even when I became disgusted with some of the episodes, I made myself find a positive message or lesson, no matter how big or small, everyday, even if it's only reinforcing a previous point... The first time I heard this show, I was in the hospital battling spinal meningitis as well as a widespread secondary infection, which caused me to lose my sight and 60% of my hearing. For one hour everday, it really helped me escape from the excruiting pain and it gave me hope that I could actually beat it, despite the negative prognosis the dr.'s had given me. This show actually did help save my life...

Posted by Sad12day on 05-25-06 at 06:05 PM
I hope this isn't the the of Starting Over.
Someone on another message board I visited
today said it was and my heart just sank. But you
can't from the average person these days; that's
what they said about Big Brother and there's another
show this summer. I hope the SO news is this a rumor.
I haven't felt this bad since Fox/Family didn't take
Home & Family back.

Karen
Elmo629@optonline.net

Posted by mrc on 05-25-06 at 08:15 PM
I told you guys that we needed a petition drive to save this show.

Posted by NicNac on 05-26-06 at 06:58 AM
Yesterday they started showing reruns of this season when the first six ladies came into the house. There was a number to call if you wanted to apply to be on the show. I called it just to see if it was still active or if they just forgot to remove it before re -running the old episodes. There was a recorded message giving the dates and locations for casting calls in Chicago, Seattle etc. The dates were in Sept and October. So, I wonder if they are still taking applications or if this is just an old recording that someone forgot to remove?

Posted by creepyoldwoman on 05-26-06 at 09:49 AM
That's interesting Nic Nac, I hope that is the case. I read on another board that someone said the BM productions moved all of their staff out of the offices, so they said that's a very bad sign.

About this petition/calling the number stuff. What if we also got our plight written about in "Reality Bites", or something like that? How we are trying to save the show? Maybe that would call more attention to it.

Posted by ltlfighter on 05-26-06 at 01:57 PM
Whatever needs to be done, just say the word and I will do my part...I'll sign, I'll call, whatever it takes to help us viewer's voices to be heard LOUD AND CLEAR so the show won't be cancelled...

Posted by mrc on 05-26-06 at 04:50 PM
I'll help, but I won't wear a ribbon.

Posted by bostonfan on 05-26-06 at 08:11 PM
I'm new to this message board, but a long-standing SO addict. It's my own little therapy session every morning and the program has really helped me with my own life issues. It sounds like I'm not alone in that. So even if only a very few women are selected to go to the house, the larger viewing audience benefits from the program too. What can I contribute to trying to keep it on the air? Where is a petition? I'll sign, I'll call. Do we need to mobilize and have one person coordinate? There's power in numbers. Let me know.

bostonfan

Posted by Lady Cleo on 05-27-06 at 10:48 AM
You can call 818-777-0244 to voice your opinion. Someone said in the "Save the show thread" that an internet petition went around 3-4 months ago. If that is true, I didn't know about it.

Posted by talker67 on 05-27-06 at 08:05 PM
For anyone who hasn't found it here the link to the petiton.
http://new.petitiononline.com/DC0531/petition.html

Posted by ltlfighter on 05-27-06 at 09:34 PM
To "Talker67"

Thanks for the website info for the petition. If you could pass on any other info that maybe helpful, I would be most appreciative and will continue to do my part. Have a great Memorial weekend!

Posted by bellyButton on 05-27-06 at 09:37 PM
Lilfighter, i hope you're doing better. i wonder if there's a place we can email them? this gets me...they have a "run" to support women starting over.....yet the show itself reaches more women than any run. If the SOH creators/tv gods...really care about helping ppl...the show wouldn't end. there is so much trash tv on that you don't need a single brain cell to watch it. this show may cause alot of ugly remarks i'm not crazy about but it is at least causing remarks and getting attention and making some ppl think..and i felt it was a therapy session everyday....no matter how i felt about which ever female or couple were on the most each day..there was never a day where something or someone didn't touch me in a very personal way. it made me know even this late in my life i can start over. i actually went and had my husband shave my head..i've gone thru alot of emotional and physical changes that were bad and it was a way of me saying bye to the old me..who bleached her hair..who tried to satisfy other's ppl's expectations (society) of me and to say..i did it many yrs ago..my own thing, it's time to do it again and i'm OK..i'm actually OK the way i am. it's all about money..if they take the show off..those in power who do that..they're just greedy fake ppl...they're the ones who should be getting called names..is is all about money or is it really about starting over? women seem as always...to be looked over..passed over. you know if it were mens sports or a mans show it'd be on. i mean look at all the trash tv we have. it's a man's world but it's time they started realizing women brought them here and look up to us and women's needs in every profession. medical, political and in entertainment. this show helped my husband. and any man who watches it to me is a real man. so many laugh it off or say it's emotional. becuz they stuff their feelings or cannot communicate. this show helped me with my husband. i met him with alot of baggage and it's brought alot of answers to us we needed and gave us things to talk about that benefited us. if it was up to me it'd be two hours long and not edited. so who really are the attention whores? those in charge..that's who.

Posted by ltlfighter on 05-28-06 at 10:41 AM
Bellybutton, I couldn't agree with u more! Alot of what you've stated echos my own sentiments. I sincerely hope you are doing better...

Posted by BlingBlong on 05-30-06 at 03:05 PM
Interesting male viewpoint.

"Bring it back on topic"
Posted by mysticwolf on 05-28-06 at 08:46 PM
This thread is to discuss the cancellation of SO. It's for what people have heard, for sharing information about attempts to keep it on air, etc.

It is not about why you liked the show, what the show did/did not do for you or others, what is going on in your personal lives, how sad/glad you are, etc. There are other threads &/or other forums for the discussion of those topics. This isn't it.

Bring this thread back on topic or it will be locked.

Puppy Lvoe from Tribe blogging's scary

Posted by Sad12day on 05-28-06 at 11:10 PM
Here's a Starting Over chatroom with massage boards (You need to register first)

http://www.#####.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Posted by talker67 on 05-28-06 at 11:48 PM
just a warning to all. My spyware won't even let me in that site so just be careful.

Posted by SO_fan001 on 05-29-06 at 07:42 AM
There are over 6000 signatures for the petition(6730 to be exact) now. Will this help or is it too late?

Posted by Snidget on 05-29-06 at 08:15 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-29-06 AT 08:21 AM (EST)

Hard to know. It is worth making sure the petition is sent as well as the other efforts to keep the show on.

However there doesn't seem to be much communication about chances and they have the new show that ivillage thing that may replace it already set up. The problem is most stations won't take both so it is likely to be one or the other, and since a lot of stations bumped SO to 3 am those stations are probably looking at the new show rather than the old one. Seems they already gave up on SO but still have to show it as that is the contract so they would be likely stations to jump ship to a new program.

A lot probably depends on what the local stations are saying to the syndicator. With shows in syndication often it is whether or not they get enough stations that want it even more than how many viewers want it.

It isn't network, they can't make the stations show it, so if they don't have enough assorted stations they won't renew it.

ETA. The May 17th news article on the web said that it hasn't been cancelled, yet, but it sounded like it is not expected to return. It is still "on the bubble". It was "on the bubble" last year but it was renewed by now.

I think they are still waiting to see what happens with new shows being shopped around.

Posted by bostonfan on 05-29-06 at 12:02 PM
Thanks for the website for the petition. I've just signed it. I agree with Snidget--having worked in television, a lot depends on how many station opt to pick it up. I'm in the Boston area which is a major market and my local station airs SO at 9:00-10:00A, M-F. I've sent them an email re. status of next year and will let you all know when I get response. Of course, if the producers aren't producing it, and the distributors aren't distributing it, the stations won't have anything to pick up! I am so impressed with what an awesome bunch of dedicated viewers you all are! Here's hoping we can make a difference!

"The Futon Critic Update"
Posted by Snidget on 06-01-06 at 05:48 PM
Has changed from still shopping it around to having it as cancelled.

"RE: The Futon Critic Update"
Posted by alaholly on 06-01-06 at 10:20 PM
I was told by my local NBC station here in CA that Starting Over's time slot will be filled in September with a new program called "Dr. Keith Ablow"...just an FYI.

Posted by NicNac on 06-02-06 at 07:19 AM
Here is an article from the June 1 PRWEB NEWSWIRE:

Fans of groundbreaking Daytime Reality TV show try to save the show Starting Over from being canceled.
(PRWEB) June 1, 2006 -- Members of the Starting Over fan site www.#####.com have been working hard trying to save the show from being canceled. Since February of 2006 when rumors of Starting Over’s cancellation began surfacing devoted viewesr began contacting both the production company Bunim Murray and NBC Universal. Devoted viewers also began an online petition to keep the show from being canceled.

There is still no word about whether or not Starting Over has officially been canceled. Viewers of Starting Over were left both confused and disappointed when the May 26th season three finale suggested that it may also be the series finale. Viewers have decided to take action and not just sit back and wait for an answer about the fate of their favorite TV show.

After a flood of phone calls were made to different departments of both NBC and Bunim Murray, NBC decided to set up a special Starting Over viewer line. Since the line opened last week viewers have been frantically calling to voice their opinions about what the show Starting Over means to them and why NBC should bring the show back for a fourth season. In fact so many people have been calling the Starting Over viewer line that during most hours the voice mail box has been full and no longer able to accept new messages.

A member of www.#####.com spoke to legal counsel from Bunim Murray who stated that Bunim Murray wants to continue production of Starting Over if NBC will pick the show up for a fourth season. With the phones ringing off the hook at NBC from devoted Starting Over fans it only makes sense that NBC pick the show up for a fourth season. Starting Over fans are anxiously waiting for NBC to listen to their voices and bring the show back for a fourth season.

Posted by Snidget on 08-18-06 at 06:29 AM
bump

Posted by HalleandKate on 08-22-06 at 02:21 PM
Thank you, I have been on this site trying to get decent information and decent message board conversation about the show and all I could pull up was stupidity "like stick a fork in it and mean stuff like Allison coming back again"....and YOURS is the only written piece that talks about SO.........Do you know anything any further about SO Fall 2006?.....Thank you....any realistic conversation about the show would be appreciated.

Posted by sharnina on 08-22-06 at 02:43 PM
Stick a fork in it and call it done!!!! 'Cause SO is DONE and so am I!

A Tribe Original
God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.

Posted by MovinOnUp on 08-22-06 at 03:27 PM
While they have yet to make an "official" announcement, the show is over. In addition to having been removed from the BMP website, it is not currently in production which means there will be no shows for the fall. (production would have started in July)

Re-runs will probably end by around labor day, depending on what they're rolling into that time-slot in your market.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of an official announcement there has been a lot of speculation about it still being save-able. It is extremely unlikely that it will ever re-appear in its present form.

Hope that is helpful.

Posted by maryellennaco on 08-19-06 at 09:04 PM
Stivk a fork in it! DONE! OVER!

"Rhonda's Blog Confirmation of Cancellation"
Posted by Snidget on 08-27-06 at 08:45 AM
http://www.fearlessliving.org/blog/rhonda/27-08-2006

I know its been confusing for so many folks, including me, when it comes to the question: Is Starting Over coming back for a fourth season? The answer is no.

Posted by sharnina on 08-29-06 at 00:38 AM
Bumpity

Bump

Bump

"bump"
Posted by Snidget on 09-06-06 at 01:19 PM
Some might be wondering where the show is now the new daytime season started and they have to put something in SO's time slots.

Posted by nebiyah on 09-07-06 at 11:47 PM
This is absoultely crazy. We must flood the starting over website with request for more S.O.. I just found out today and I was appalled. I rather they move Tyra. Lets begin a petition to the networks for more Starting Over. Do any one agree? They can't leave us!

Posted by Snidget on 09-08-06 at 06:24 AM
It's been done. At one point they set up a special phone number for fans to call. There have been any number of petitions.

They know there are a lot of fans that are dissapointed, the campaign to get it on has been on-going since spring when it wasn't renewed.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 09-09-06 at 01:04 AM
Considering that Tyra has consistently beaten SO in the ratings, it ain't. gonna. happen.

Posted by kthorn1984 on 09-12-06 at 06:51 PM
This is crazy. Every time I go to their web site it takes me straight to the nbc site. I was interested in the couples show that just aired last week with the possibility that Lou was getting ready to be kicked off. Then this week suddenly its gone and some stupid DR.PHIL WANNABE show is on. Do you know of any other news yet??

Posted by sharnina on 09-12-06 at 07:28 PM
It's cancelled and it's not coming back. The story that you were watching was a rerun from the beginning of the season in September 2005. He didn't get kicked out.

The show officially ended in May and what you have been watching all summer is reruns.

A Tribe Original
God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.

Posted by Snidget on 09-12-06 at 09:03 PM
The website was up as long as the reruns were airing, but now that the show is over they pulled the website and it goes to NBC which distributed starting over.

Posted by hlr512 on 09-14-06 at 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if it will be aired on another network?

Posted by Snidget on 09-14-06 at 12:02 PM
It is a syndicated show like most non-soap opera day time TV.

The network it was on in your area depended on which station happened to buy it. I don't know if another syndicated show producer would pick it up or not. Doesn't seem that likely. TLC showed it for awhile, but given they have not done that for a long time I don't now that they would pick up the re-runs to show. Not sure if any of the women's only cable stations would pick up the re-runs either.

"Bump"
Posted by mysticwolf on 09-11-06 at 07:48 PM