URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 1115
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"BB vs Banner plane pilot."

Posted by Snidget on 08-06-07 at 05:56 PM
awyers for Endemol USA Inc. sent a cease and desist letter to Jerry Hider of Blue Yonder Air, to stop him from flying his plane over the "Big Brother" house.

Hider alleges that he's not trying to ruin the game, and that he was simply paid to do a job. The peeved pilot wouldn't release the name of the person who has been hiring him to make "Big Brother"-related runs, but said that up until now he, CBS and Endemol enjoyed "a symbiotic relationship." In 2001, Endemol even produced a story about the banner operation.

Yikes!

http://www.tmz.com/2007/08/06/big-brother-wings-pilot/

Summertribe and the living is easy!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: BB vs Banner plane pilot."
Posted by Ellehcar71 on 08-06-07 at 06:06 PM
DH and I were "discussing" this - have there been banners since season one? Or maybe two? I can't recall seeing them since then, but I've been wrong a time or two before.... DH thinks they've had them every year. I believe there was a cease and desist before, and thought they even made it restricted air, or something.

Posted by qwertypie on 08-06-07 at 10:44 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the banner planes started season one around the time when Brittany's(?) home town was trying to vote out Chicken George.

Posted by Estee on 08-06-07 at 06:21 PM
Dear Endemol,

Produce a decent reality show and maybe people won't feel the need to twist it up for you.

Sincerely,
the viewing public.

Posted by kingfish on 08-06-07 at 06:50 PM
I know they've had banners in years past, but I don't think they've threatened to give away a twist prematurely before. So that could be the reason for the lawyer to lawyer talk this time.

Eric is a Turd!!

And Estee, I sense that your post lacked the banner touch. So, any time you need a banner, you may use this one. A Tribe creation. Just make the obvious word replacements as you wish. (That's me - sort of - in the pilot's seat)

Posted by agman on 08-06-07 at 11:42 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-06-07 AT 11:43 PM (EST)

Posted by Canada Girl on 08-06-07 at 06:57 PM
Dang it. Just posted on Fanatics. Sorry Webby!

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-07-07 at 07:33 AM
Something that has bothered me about this plane and CBS not wanting the hamsters to see them. They are in a studio, presumably on CBS' lot, correct? And 1)CBS knows the planes are coming, and 2)CBS does not want the hamsters to see them.

How hard would it be to build a retractable screen over the backyard to keep the hamsters from being able to read the signs? The plane comes, the screen goes over the yard. The plane goes, the screen retracts. Not very difficult, IMHO.

Posted by kingfish on 08-07-07 at 08:10 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-07-07 AT 08:13 AM (EST)

I can see significant design problems with a large fabric structure that could withstand wind and weather, with actuators quick enough to react in time to shield from a passing plane, and a folding system to allow quick reactivation after being stowed. What about the detection system? Presumably they wouldn't want to deploy the shield every time just any plane or helicopter passes near or else the rig would be jumping up and down many times a day.

Sure, it can be done, but I think you would find it to be a difficult engineering trick to pull off.

But that's sorta beside the real point I think. If they eliminated this problem, then we wouldn't be discussing it.

It probably cost less to pursue legal action than to design, test, and build it, and the publicity is free.

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-07-07 at 08:28 AM
I disagree. I'm guessing the yard is maybe 100'x100' square.Blue plastic tarping is cheap and light and comes in 20'x20' standard sizes and larger. I'm sure BB could afford to special order. Steel cable rigging is easy enough to install and would allow the tarp supports to hook onto it and slide up and down it. And a pulley system to pull the tarp(s) across the backyard shouldn't be too hard to operate. Also, as far as deployment, I'm sure a lackey to watch the skies, or at least keep an eye on them when houseguests are outside wouldn't be too expensive. A pair of binoculars and one could easily see a dangerous sign miles before it would be visible by house hamsters with their limited visual sight range.

Posted by kingfish on 08-07-07 at 09:22 AM
I'm not sure how big a fabric cover would have to be to shield a 100'x 100' area (I'll accept those dimensions for the sake of argument), but even if it is only that size, just wait till the wind catches 10,000 sf of sail. If there isn't a very strong well designed and tested system, that rig will be gone in no time.

And I think you underestimate the complications of the rigging necessary to get it up and down quickly enough repeatedly and without tangling.

Maybe Moley's (you lurking, Moley?) girls would try and design something like this as a engineering project, it would be interesting.

Posted by vince3 on 08-07-07 at 07:00 PM
I think there's an irony about this, though...... According to the front page's article, this pilot's banner was injunctioned out of the sky before Thursday's episode, and his banner was gonna reveal the "America's Player" twist to be Eric...... his banner might have been less harmful than the one that actually flew over the cage...........