URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1067
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What a Dumb Roadblock"

Posted by Cleveland Guy on 05-11-05 at 08:23 AM
Limbo to leave at an earlier time?

and then it will all be negated the next day after you reach Puerto Rico.

These wasn't even any challange or time wasted here.

STUPID!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What a Dumb Roadblock"
Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-05 at 08:41 AM
The advantage at the limbo was only 15 minutes, so that alone had nothing to do with the huge lead. Romber & RKelly left at 8:15 and U/J left at 8:30

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

Posted by Urban_Kitten on 05-11-05 at 11:14 AM
I thought it was rather interesting. If teams had stacked their roadblocks so that the remaining 2 challenges could be done by men (perceived to be the bigger & stronger types), it would have backlashed on them. Uchenna and Rob would seriously have had problems against Kelly for instance.

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

Posted by FFantasyFX on 05-11-05 at 10:58 AM
Actually, I thought it twas a brilliant challenge - something a bit offbeat, testing a skill that usually isn't tested, and had pretty awesome rules (eight tries for five levels of time). Overall, I thought TAR was really on the ball with the tasks yesterday (although I'm disappointed I didn't get to see the ponies in the water. The ponies! ).

Also, you're wrong about the time consequences. The limbo was part of the first leg, and the first pitstop was in Jamaica. Those fifteen minutes definitely gave Romber & RKelly a leg up in the raft challenge - had Uchenna/Joyce left at the same time, and everything else was equal, U/J would have arrived at the penultimate pitstop first.

Posted by zipperhead on 05-11-05 at 02:21 PM
I actually thought the onion detour was worse.

C'mon, chopping opions?! I can't imagine what kind of non-challenges they're gonna have when kids are in the Race.

Posted by cipher5150 on 05-11-05 at 03:11 PM
All and all, I would say that many of the tasks in recent seasons have been pretty lame - weighing people, catching fish, etc. They seem to swing from the extremes of ridiculously easy, excruciatingly physically demanding, or just long and boring. It seems pretty rare that teams don't finish tasks in virtually the same order that they started them. I would like to see the tasks on a whole become more meaningful to the outcome of the game. (But with all the bunching this is kinda moot)

I wish that tasks were more time consuming as well as more mentally challenging, while still being physically challenging. The longer a task is the more opportunity there is to screw it up IMO. The raft bulding in this episode was a good example. The spelunking and the tea delivery - also good tasks. Tasks were you dig in sand until you find something - not good tasks.

Tasks should be more than just spending 5 minutes doing some mindless chore as a lot of the tasks are. They should be an opportunity for teams to move ahead based on their real skills (although I'm sure Rob appreciates how limber Amber is). This task was especially frustrating as it precipitated a non-pitstop overnight rest so there was plenty of time to do something long and involved and the limbo could have been incorporated into it.

I think it's been mentioned in other threads that in the first season there was a lot more emphasis on people having to use their brains on both the tasks and figuring out the clues. I miss that.

Posted by KLinDC on 05-11-05 at 03:18 PM
I kinda like the Brain one in London. Although the next time they do something like that, they have to make it a rule that the racers can't ask locals for the answers, which in turn would force them to go to a bookstore or find an internet cafe.