URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID9
Thread Number: 1019
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Did Will pull a "Marcellas" by not winning the veto?"

Posted by JoshInSGV on 09-06-06 at 02:22 PM
Ok, I know I'll probably get clobbered by the Clown, but it's all good. Bring it on!

In the diary room, Will stated that he didn't care who won the veto because he was safe anyway. Was this miscalculation on Will's part equivalent to Marcellas not using the POV in BB3 or Kaysar refusing to play for POV earlier this season? Did Will's strategy of not winning anything fail him when he needed it the most? What does everyone else think.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Did Will pull a "Marcellas" by not winning the veto?"
Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 09-06-06 at 02:33 PM
Nothing is on the same level as Marcellas' bonehead move in BB3. That was, by far, the worst strategic blunder in BB history. Anything else, so far, has been a distant second. Will believed he was safe because he had been playing Janelle and Erika against each other. Such a strategy worked many times in the past. Was there a reason to believe it wouldn't work? No, not really. After all, why should Janelle vote him out? Why should Erika? Really, if they didn't sit down and compare notes, Erika would be in sequester and Boogie would have actually tried in the last HOH competition. And why should they have compared notes? It was sheer luck that they did. Sheer luck. Bad luck for Will, that is. Maybe bad luck for Janelle as well. She probably should have kept Will, since her greatest hope of reaching the final two is via HOH. Who wants to go against her? No one, that's who.

Posted by Savahnna on 09-06-06 at 02:36 PM
Was this miscalculation on Will's part equivalent to Marcellas not using the POV in BB3

Close enough. Marcellus though was told he was safe and was dumb enough to believe it.....Will's security came from within....same result....and humor.

I think what got Will in the long run was that he actually took time out to sleep for a few hours. That was all he needed to do for Erika to get to Janelle.

Posted by LibraRising on 09-06-06 at 03:02 PM
Marcellas had one mitigating factor in his idiocy, albeit a small one. If you recall, that was the first season with the veto, and up until that competition, the participants were not able to use the veto on themselves if they won it. I might be wrong, but I think the only one who actually used the veto that season was Gerry when he took off Marcellas on week one, and he became persona non grata in the house after that move. So the veto at that time was viewed as more of a drastic, alliance-breaking measure rather than a standard part of game-play.

So with that tiny point in his favor, I'd say it's pretty close.

A kyngsladye klassic with an IceCat chaser

Posted by JoshInSGV on 09-06-06 at 06:41 PM
I guess to answer my own question...

I think Will's major miscalculation was to underestimate the value of winning competitions. When you have 15 people in the house, it is advantageous to let others win the competitions and become bigger targets, while you pull the strings from behind. But when you're down to 4 people in the house, winning a POV/HOH competition is the only way to remain immune from eviction. Letting other people win competitions in the Final 4 is leaving your fate in the hands of others and that's never a safety guarantee.

Posted by Bob Tomato on 09-06-06 at 06:42 PM
In my mind, Will was trying to win that veto, just as he tried to win the one before it (injuring his thumb in the attempt).

He said his strategy was to win nothing afterwards, but I don't buy that. He was just downplaying his failure to win a key competition.

Trying and failing to win Veto is much less dumb than claiming the Veto and failing to use it wisely.

Posted by JoshInSGV on 09-06-06 at 07:59 PM
I agree with you, Bob. The thing is that Will never admitted that he lost the veto fair and square. Throwing the competition at such a crucial stage of the game is a dumber move than admitting that you got "beaten by a girl". And, since I don't expect Will to ever clarify this issue, this will always be a point of speculation. But, I firmly believe that Will lost the game when he failed to secure the POV. He even said it himself in the diary room. Winning HOH was not as crucial this week because it was the POV winner who would have all the power to evict.

Posted by LIVEURBESTLIFE on 09-06-06 at 11:38 PM
So far I haven't witnessed anything that comes close to Marcellus's season 3 catastrophe.

Will not winning POV is huge and it is the reason he is in sequester right now. By not winning he put all his eggs in Janelle's basket. He overestimated the powers of his manipulation and underestimated Janelle and Erika.

I think he truly believed he had gotten rid of all the "players" and that Janelle was too weak-minded to vote him out and that Erika wouldn't have enough backbone to make a move.

Will's "strategy" of throwing comps came back to bite him in the a**. He got so arrogant and cocky that he didn't feel it necessary to win a comp in the 11th hour.

When there is only one vote and you are the person who will be put up if you don't have veto the only strategy is to win the da*n competition anything else is stupid. Close to Marcellus's bonehead move but not quite as bad considering he had been controlling all Janelles decisions up to that point.