URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID106
Thread Number: 10
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Beauty And The Geek Episode 2 Discussion"

Posted by volsfan on 06-08-05 at 07:58 PM
OH MY HECK...I almost forgot this was on tonight! Let's chat about it here.

Who goes home and are there more hooking up?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Beauty And The Geek Episode 2 Discussion"
Posted by Spidey on 06-08-05 at 10:04 PM
I just saw this tonight for the first time. Interesting concept. Neat to see (some) people's perspectives change. And I was mildly entertained when they were trying to answer the quiz questions.

The only one I didn't know was shiatzu.

Posted by volsfan on 06-08-05 at 10:14 PM
The first episode was good but I thought tonight's show was better because it became clear that thought processes were changed. I like this show big time!

Posted by CattyChat on 06-08-05 at 11:32 PM
This one is a keeper so far. The concept and the way it's being played out is entertaining and endearing.

I actually felt bad for lifesize Barbie and her Geek lover both put up for elimination. She really seemed crushed. Although, I wonder if she's just one of those girls who has to always have a guy and just went for who she thought was the cutest in the bunch. Wonder if she was interested in him after the show and she was back in her "superficial" world? He didn't seem broken up by it, I guess because they just met 3 days ago.

Anyway, cute show. Wonder who the hookup is in the next episode? Obviously not the spaz with the glasses and the tender shoulders.

Posted by Spidey on 06-09-05 at 00:01 AM
spaz with the glasses and the tender shoulders.

He was a riot. And he gave a massage like my 5 year old.

Posted by Jealousy on 06-09-05 at 01:56 AM
Brad, I think that's his name, didn't seem as broken up about both he and that blonde girl being on the cutting board together, because he just seems to lack a lot of emotions. He probably does show emotions and is funny when in the private company of the group, but he just seems so stiff all the time. His smiles are very small, usually. Maybe he has a hard time expressing himself, but he could have been really crushed inside. Not sure if he is one of them who have never been on a date before though.

I forgot if they mentioned if all of these guys were really socially awkward with girls, since it's always brought up that Joe and Richard have never been with girls before. I'm not sure about the other guys.

Posted by Jealousy on 06-09-05 at 01:57 AM
I feel so stupid for actually tearing up while watching this episode. I found it so emotional.

And watching the preview, I wonder which geek is putting the moves on Scarlet.

Posted by sistergoldenhair on 06-09-05 at 09:18 AM
My guess is it's the neurology medical student. He and Scarlet seemed pretty cozy on the couch there when he was teaching her to play chess and Richard kept trying to get his attention to brownnose him.

Posted by CattyChat on 06-09-05 at 09:26 AM
Could be, but she sure isn't interested in him. She wants to wrap a cord around his neck & dump him over the balcony, along with the other "geeks." So far, she doesn't seem to be evolving in her shallowness. She wants to just "party" and have a good time.

Posted by sistergoldenhair on 06-09-05 at 09:36 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-09-05 AT 09:38 AM (EST)

No, she's not interested in Richard; that's not what I said.
I think nosebleed boy is putting the moves on her.

Agreed on the lack of improvement when it comes to Scarlet. Same could be said for the little blonde chippy who thought the car-jack weighed a few tons.

I think you are talking about Caitilin, by the way...she was talking about the strangulation of the geeks.

ETA: The last 2 sentences.

Posted by PhoenixMons on 06-09-05 at 10:20 AM
How said is this...I actually know these people by name!

The one who said something about throwing them over the balcony is the one who won the reward, not Scarlet. Scarlet seems to be really down to earth. The one I can't stand is the one with the horribly highlighted hair.

Now my two favorite geeks are gone! I think the guy who won the massage challenge seems pretty cool, too, but I had a special place in my heart for the cutie pie Joe.

Got blog?

Posted by sistergoldenhair on 06-09-05 at 10:26 AM
He was my favorite, too...reminded me of a boy I went to elementary school with. I think my favorite is Brad, though not with Erika. I think he was a little overwhelmed by her. She definitely seemed more upset to be leaving him than he seemed to be about being separated from her. I liked Richard until last night (TiVo). What was up with the placard and whining??

Posted by CattyChat on 06-09-05 at 10:32 AM
I'm all mixed up on who's who, except for a couple who really stand out either by looks or actions. A couple of the guys look similar, as well as some of the girls. Maybe by next week I'll know who the playas are.

Really enjoy the show, though, and I too will miss the little blond guy. I thought he could really use the boost in his self-esteem relating to women and it is a shame he is gone so soon.

Wish some of these shows would start with a few days (at least 2 eps) of challenges and relating to one another before the first boot. That way, the viewers get a better sense of who is who and if it is a show that is supposed to "teach" something, the DAWs have a chance of actually learning something. JMO

Posted by Ellehcar71 on 06-10-05 at 04:26 PM
I agree that if this is supposed to be more of a social experiment than a realilty game show, they should have kept them around a little longer (I tend to feel this way at the start of every reality show, though.)

I left this episode really feeling that these guys are too good for these girls, and while I hope they gain some confidence by interacting with them, I hope that they will realize there are attractive intelligent and deep girls out there that would be better partners for them. I guess I feel there is more hope for the guys to make a change than the girls - for them it is going to have to be a whole paradigm change, of which they seem completely incapable.

Posted by RealityMom on 06-11-05 at 10:19 PM
I finally watched the episode and my favorite moment was one I'd never anticipated. I really like that the show's focus is growth and friendship and not romance but I was just thinking about the friendships between the girls and the guys. I hadn't thought about the friendships between the guys, although now that I think of it, guy friendships were a major part of "Average Joe". But in any event, the moment between Richard and Chuck was really sweet. I think Richard's been labelled the class clown since kindergarten and now that's all he thinks he has to offer. When Chuck called him on that kind of behavior and let him know much he (Chuck) appreciated a glimpse of the real, nonperforming Richard, I think Richard experienced a potentially positive new view of himself.
I have to add something we all commented on last week- my husband watched the show for the first time and his first comment was "Some of those guys are definitely not geeks". Maybe the show should be renamed "Beauty and the Endearing but Socially Challenged".

Posted by tvgeek401 on 06-12-05 at 04:11 AM
The questions the guys got in the elimination were ridiculous.
I learned those things in a science class, just like they did. Knowing that the skin is the largest organ in the body isn't impressive.

That said, I'm really enjoying this show.

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!
4 8 15 16 23 42