URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 1
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Kid Nation"

Posted by Snidget on 08-26-07 at 08:32 AM
Let the controversy begin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/arts/television/25KID.html?hp

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Kid Nation"
Posted by realityshowgeek on 08-26-07 at 05:40 PM
CBS has shown so many promos during BB8, I commented in that forum days ago. I will be happy to repeat myself here. I know it's politically incorrect to not like children, but.... I already hate the fat kid who's crying and said, "I miss my brother because he's in a wheelchair" WTF!! So, he wouldn't miss him if he wasn't in a wheelchair? He's a little manipulator already. You see others pull this stunt on reality shows, but I have low expectations of some of these "adults" who appear on these shows. But this kid...what he's 11,12 and already working an angle. **shudder**

Posted by foonermints on 09-01-07 at 05:16 PM
No worries. There has to be a kid named "Roger" and a rock around, somewhere.

Gee, it might be hard to make fun of this show.

Posted by qwertypie on 09-02-07 at 11:33 AM
I guess it would be kind of mean spirited to have a drinking game for this show. You in?

Posted by foonermints on 09-02-07 at 09:38 PM
I just saw this whiny little piggy wannabe snot on the TV. Plus that idiotic mom who was saying what a "wonderful building experience" it was in spite of controversy about dodging child labor laws. I think the smarmy producer is a piece of slime, too.

I'm IN.

Posted by Loree on 08-27-07 at 04:34 PM
I have absolutely no interest in this show. It is one reality show I will not be watching.

"I wonders?"
Posted by foonermints on 09-01-07 at 01:51 PM
If this show already has the smell of the sea to it.

RUM! I must have 'e more RUM!

Posted by ohmyheck on 09-01-07 at 10:17 PM
So... No chance you'll do a summary and kill it for us?

Posted by dabo on 08-28-07 at 00:36 AM
Well now, you see, if Bill Cosby was doing this show, or Ronald McDonald maybe, but really Bill Cosby would be perfect, you know, then at least you could try and watch it, some of it might even be funny. Intentionally funny I mean. This has to be the worst idea yet for a reality show that doesn't involve a celebrity, it's just crying for a celebrity, maybe two. Now, if Sigourney Weaver was to show up and make them kids dig a bunch of holes...

"i think it looks good"
Posted by cqvenus on 08-28-07 at 09:49 AM
i will be watching. it looks interesting. different, anyway. and i kind of want to see what the 'point' is. i also think if i were a kid it would sound like the greatest idea ever: build a whole town without any adults... that was my dream. i thought adults were pointless fun-crashers.

~ cq

"RE: i think it looks good"
Posted by foonermints on 09-01-07 at 01:45 PM
I'm going to watch. I'll trust your opinion since you were so correct about Germicho.

Posted by mysticwolf on 09-01-07 at 06:34 PM
I'm with you, for all the same reasons.

Posted by MKitty on 09-12-07 at 04:18 PM
Me three.

*Pacified by Smokeysmom*

"I'll check it out"
Posted by moonbaby on 08-28-07 at 12:02 PM
and I know my nieces will want to, too.

Posted by mattben on 08-29-07 at 11:10 AM
I'll check out show #1, could be fun. What's more fun is the PR CBS is getting from the ACLU holier-than-thou types who are chirping child-abuse of some kind in the filming.

Posted by Molaholic on 09-03-07 at 09:51 PM
Besides the child labor law skirting, did the producers also neglect school for their "participants"? Because I have no doubt that that particular adult-created establishment would have a rather low priority in the minds of the Founding Munchins.

(Have somebody muck-out the communal crapper? Sure. -- Get in some math homework -- No Way!)

a gift from agman 2007

Posted by foonermints on 09-03-07 at 11:22 PM
I guess all those sheep on the promos just turn into kabob.

*whackety* *whackety* *WHACK*

WhooHoo! I've done my homework!

~thank you

Jack

Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 09-04-07 at 07:51 AM
All work and no play...
All work and no play...
All work and no play...
All work and no play...
All work and no play...
All work and no play...

Hit and Run by foonermints.
Holier than thou.

Posted by geg6 on 09-04-07 at 09:17 AM
Can't wait. Not being someone who ever wanted any, I'm looking to see if these kids prove me right...no one should have any. LOL! Or, more to the difficulty I grapple with every day once they are young adults, can they overcome the massive load of disabilities with which their parents have saddled them?

Should be fascinating, IMHO.

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of America." Thomas Paine

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 09-05-07 at 00:17 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-05-07 AT 00:32 AM (EST)

Deleted and reposted here in a more appropriate thread.

Posted by friendtiltheend on 09-12-07 at 03:33 AM
I'm gonna give the show a try. Here's hoping that nature wins over nurture

Posted by Puffy on 09-19-07 at 07:49 PM
A couple of the kids and their moms were in the "Ellen" show today. They had no complaints about the show. They went through intense selection, training, teaching, information-gathering, and felt the kids had good counselors and were not in any danger.

Posted by kingfish on 10-04-07 at 09:52 AM
Finally watched an episode last night (was it the 3rd?). I had thought the idea to be absurd, so I hadn't bothered to switch over for the earlier episodes.

But I finally did last night, (I blame Foomernints) and after watching it, well, I kinda like the show. I don't know about lasting power, but initially it seems like an elaborate and very fun coed boy scout camp. As a kid I would have loved to be there. I probably couldn't have afforded it, but I would have loved it.

I should say that I agree that compliance with all applicable laws including (and esp) the child labor laws, ought to be verified. CBS has a competent legal staff I assume.

As for the adults being around, well, I would hope so, medical help too. Heck, some of the little ones are still bed wetters which would be exacerbated by anxiety, I imagine, and some help in becoming acclimated is probably a good idea.

That Taylor is a pistol. Really self assured (OK, bossy) but a really cute kid. (I do kinda pity the poor guy in her future).

Actually all the kids are pretty cute. The tensions in kid town remind me of those in the older kids version, Survivor. If they had little inflation valves you could use to blow them up to adult size, they would be saying and doing pretty much the same things.