URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 2787
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Are You an Internet Junkie?"

Posted by Red Lady on 08-25-02 at 05:58 PM
Find out how hooked you really are!
Worried you spend too much time online? Assess your level of addiction by answering the following questions using this scale:
1=Rarely, 2=Occasionally, 3=Frequently, 4=Often, 5=Always, DNA=Does not apply.
================================================================

1) How often do you find you stay online longer that you intend?
2) How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
3) How often do you prefer the excitement of the internet to intimacy with your partner?
4) How often do you form new relationships with fellow online users?
5) How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend online?
6) How often do your grades or schoolwork suffer because of the amount of time you spend online?
7) How often do you check your e-mail before doing something else you need to do?
8) How often does your job performance or productivity suffer because of the Internet?
9) How often do you become defensive or secretive when someone asks you what you do online?
10) How often do you block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the Internet?
11) How often do you find yourself looking forward to going online again?
12) How often do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty and joyless?
13) How often do you snap, yell or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
14) How often do you feel preoccupied with the Internet when offline, or fantasize about being online?
15) How often do late-night log-ins cost you sleep?
16) How often do you find yourself saying "just a few more minutes" when online?
17) How often do you try to cut down on the amount of time you spend online--and fail?
18) How often do you try to hide how long you've been online?
19) How often do you chose to spend more time online over going out with others?
20) How often do you feel depressed, moody or nervous when you are offline, a feeling that goes away once you are back online?
===============================================================
SCORING
Add the numbers you selected to determine your score.
20 - 49 pts: You are an average online user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.
50 - 79 pts: You experience occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. Consider their full impact on your life.
80 - 100 pts: Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. Evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.

Source: USA Weekend Magazine, August 23-25, 2002.

Regards,

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Are You an Internet Junkie?"
Posted by Drive My Car on 08-25-02 at 07:12 PM
YIKES!!!
Are you sure you really want to popst this HERE?? heheheheehehe

I answered very truthfully ( the fact I don't have a job where I have access to the net may have come into play on my score)

I scored a 39, though while answering I thought it would be worse. Especially since I just hit 4000 posts, and 4000 may sound like a lot, but I am one of about 15 or 20 people who were here from the start and never left. I want to say I did 4000 with very few posts on Monster thresds ( dial up , I haven't even read half of them) I do awful in DAW races for the same reason, so I pass on them

I confess, that if I didn't have to share the computer with family members I would be worse, and if I had a desk job with Net access I might be hopeless.

Buggy-who neglects her other message boards

Posted by TechNoir on 08-25-02 at 07:22 PM
I don't think this works. I scored a 28 and my job is largely working on the internet. And I do it at home too. But I'm not secretive about it ... mebbe that's the ticket.

wonders why folks worry about the internet when peeps live in front of the TV

Posted by RudyRules on 08-25-02 at 08:01 PM
I scored 39, I guess it could be a lot worse!

"Them people had to be pretty dumb to make their camp in a riverbed." - Rudy Boesch

"Believe it or not"
Posted by LadyT on 08-25-02 at 08:15 PM

I DNA on a lot of questions. I have no access from work, which helps a lot. And I am totally open on what I do here to others.

Will anyone admit to a score of like 93?

Posted by true on 08-25-02 at 08:33 PM
often adv. Frequently; many times; not seldom.

frequently adv. At frequent or short intervals; many times; often; repeatedly; commonly.

Ok, these two look just the same to me. If I answer often, I score a 39. If I use frequently, I score a 49. Hmmmm....
Looks like, from the scores above, y'all went with often, so I think I will too. A 39 for me. *waves to Buggy*

true -currently neglecting housework

"AhhhHaaa!!!!!"
Posted by Drive My Car on 08-25-02 at 10:44 PM

I think I have figured out where the glitch is!

true -currently neglecting housework

See ? We will admit to neglecting chores, but we don't neglect our families. Neglecting stupid crap like laundry or cleaning closets, is not the same as neglecting personal relationships. We score goodon people skills. That is the only thing that saves most of us from being total freaks on this test.

Buggy- who felt so guilty for only scoring a 37 that she lied about her score

Posted by snoop on 08-25-02 at 08:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-25-02 AT 08:56 PM (EST)

i think that's alot compared to most here, but my results are "You are an average online user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage" so it's good. thanks for sharing that!

Posted by Asrai on 08-26-02 at 00:06 AM
Heehee! I got a 36, not too bad! I had 5 DNA's, so, that lessened my score.

"I am not an Internet Junkie, I am a proud DAW!"
Posted by GeorgiaBelle on 08-26-02 at 01:23 AM
Ok, should I tell the truth here or lie. The truth is a boring 39, so I am normal and average. But, with a twisting of the numbers I can be a 93. Now which one should a lay claim to?

Posted by I_AM_HE on 08-26-02 at 01:53 AM
40, give or take a couple (was just keeping track in my head, and not too carefully). I think there's something seriously wrong with this test though. I spend way too much time online to be a measly 40! :-P

Posted by Bebo on 08-26-02 at 08:53 AM
I got a 52, because I hate doing housework and would do anything else instead.

Evil, rude, snotty, and proud of it!

Posted by PackMan on 08-26-02 at 01:01 PM
40 here. It's not like I can't stop any time I want to...

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it again? - Anonymous