URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 279
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Fourteen-day Jeopardy champion?"

Posted by Estee on 06-21-04 at 07:31 PM
He's up to $471k. Alex seems to be running out of interesting questions to ask him. I knew someone was going to make a run once they took the five-day limit off, but...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Fourteen-day Jeopardy champion?"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 06-21-04 at 10:42 PM
My Dad -- a devoted Jeopardy viewer since he retired about a year ago -- was telling me about this guy this weekend, when did they take the limit off?

Posted by Rebel Crown on 06-22-04 at 03:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-04 AT 03:47 AM (EST)

<<when did they take the limit off?>>

This is the first year without the 5-day limit. The season began in September.

Edited to add link:
http://www.jeopardy.com/gena.pjw?cont=five_time

Posted by ginger on 06-23-04 at 06:42 PM
My cousin Josh will be on sometime in June (I am really hoping I haven't already missed him) and said he came in 2nd to "some guy on an incredible roll." Figures the poor kid finally gets on the show during this guy's tenure. The winningest player guy writes college bowl quiz questions. I think it's quite the advantage.

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

Posted by BennyBoy on 06-24-04 at 02:24 PM
I have seen this guy, and he has just broken the 500k mark! I am watching just to see when someone finally beats him! Letterman is doing a pretty funny sketch about him on Late Night...

Posted by brvnkrz on 06-25-04 at 11:54 AM
I got to watch last night. This guy is incredible.

Author of "The Banana Diaries as told by the Lesbian traveler,also available in Spanish and French for Deonna.
The order of the banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

Posted by Estee on 06-25-04 at 02:51 PM
Y'know what bothers me about him? He's so predictable in his bets. You can just about call his every move down to the last dollar. He's had a bunch of opportunities to try for the one-day record, and he's passed on all of them. He could have wagered a lot more money than he has and still come out champion if he got it wrong. It's Bob Newhart, Jeopardy King. Button-down bets, anyone?

Biggest conservative to appear on national television since O'Reilly's last speech.

Posted by ginger on 06-25-04 at 05:53 PM
Alex all but BEGS him to go for the one-day record.

I keep thinking about Quiz Show. Do you think, if he remains unbeatable, they'll have him bumped off?

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

Posted by greenmonstah on 06-25-04 at 06:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-25-04 AT 08:05 PM (EST)

Even I am curious to see this guy!

This must be great for the old ratings...

Posted by realityluver on 06-25-04 at 08:40 PM
He won again today. That's 18 straight wins and he's over the $600k mark.

"Nothing comes between me and my TV!!!"

Posted by Molaholic on 06-28-04 at 00:59 AM
This guy is just amazing. But I have a bold prediction ... you saw it here first ... shortly after he finally loses (or maybe, as some wag posted, gets whacked), they'll have a category "Questions Ken Missed".

After 18+ shows, they just may have enough for one column.

Just curious, is his 10% tithe computed before or after taxes? He's already announced his contribution to LDS.

A.S.S. PTB Red Points CONSOLATION winner
sigpic a GeorgiaBelle creation MMIV

"An article about the guy"
Posted by Tiger Lily on 06-30-04 at 04:15 AM
for anyone who's interested: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20040626-9999-1n26champ.html

~Lily~

"24 days & still winning"
Posted by Loree on 07-06-04 at 11:41 AM
Will this guy ever lose? I wonder if the judges/writers are paying attention to what Ken's weak categories are? Then maybe have a show with all the categories they know he is not great at.

Posted by Fishercat on 07-06-04 at 06:57 PM
The guy is simply amazing, but with that said, I think he'll last about 10 more days (To 34 wins in a row) before losing.

He's just amazing though. The only thing I could compete with him on were the sports questions (At least I knew that Leon Goslin's nickname was Goose, and that Jeopardy is really sneaky on their clues, sure, Tug McGraw did pitch for the Mets, but his stint with the Phillies not only provided the quote that the main part of the clue, but was his more memorable stay.), and even that is close. Insanity. The fact that he could match my many years (somewhat match, I think I could beat him in a 50 question quiz thing or whatever) of sports study and he can do just as well in every other subject is astounding.
---
<== A Missionhockey21 creation

"27 days and still winning......"
Posted by AugustGirl on 07-08-04 at 07:30 PM
He won again tonight. He's up to $840,000 (give or take a few thousand).

Holy Cow!

"RE: 27 days and still winning......"
Posted by Estee on 07-08-04 at 07:41 PM
And he got four out of five alcohol-related questions, plus managed to call a few about gambling. Do the Later-Day Saints allow the purchase of indulgences?

Alex's mild frustration about Ken's reluctance to go for the one-day record has officially turned into a running joke.

"RE: 27 days and still winning......"
Posted by Fishercat on 07-09-04 at 05:59 PM
He tied it today! Alex said something like "You couldn't have bet a dollar more, could you?".
---

"When they TRULY get tired of the guy..."
Posted by MTW1961 on 07-08-04 at 07:40 PM
... you'll know. They'll resort to questions such as:

"It's the number I'm thinking of now"

Or categories that someone as smart as Ken would have no knowledge of, like:

"80's Sitcom Heroines" or "Reality TV Show Contestants"

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

(I think I could beat him in that last category )

"RE: When they TRULY get tired of the guy..."
Posted by Estee on 07-08-04 at 07:44 PM
I've been patiently waiting for the producers to throw 'Comic Books' at him -- and then he went and got the Superman question tonight.

If he shows a strong foundation in anime, the show is done for.

"RE: When they TRULY get tired of the guy..."
Posted by Fishercat on 07-09-04 at 05:58 PM
He is weak in sports that aren't terribly recent, specifically records. He didn't get 3 of the 5 sports questions, even easy stuff such as "In May of '75, this player set the RBI record for Major League Baseball (Hank Aaron)" or "I (Eddie George) am secodn in consecutive starts at runningback behind this late, great Chicago Bear (Walter Payton. Someone said Gale Sayers, whose claim to fame is being something of the Sandy Koufax (in a sense) of the running back class), not to mention he missed a boxing question, which I didn't hear, but the answer was Rocky Marciano, so I am guessing it was "This was the only heavyweight champion to never be beaten" (or something), which was Rocky's major record.

Him and I could make a super tag-team. Although anime may trip him and me up.

Ken just tied the Jeopardy Single Day record with 52,000 by getting some impossible question about what was the smallest population of a G-8 country or something like that (Canada). One buck more would get the record.
---

"last night"
Posted by cqvenus on 07-13-04 at 09:57 AM

he SWEPT comic books!

~ cq

-- wonders if there are any jeopardy spoiler boards

"Tonight's show..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-13-04 at 08:01 PM
He won again tonight *yawn* but what's of note... he's now up to:

One Million Dollars!

$1,004,000 to be more specific.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention." Tom Peters
"RE: Tonight's show..."
Posted by cqvenus on 07-14-04 at 09:25 AM

someone said he was going to be on leno or letterman, but i can't find where it says that. anyone know which show, and what day?

~ cq

Monsty is lying, she is going to a truck driver's convention. She told me. She used the language to prove it. -- knockers

Posted by Bebo on 07-14-04 at 11:35 AM
He was on Letterman Monday night and did the Top Ten Ways To Annoy Alex Trebek. It was quite funny. He's a longtime Letterman fan who's been enjoying all the jokes Dave has been making.

#2 - For every response, say "Who gives a rat's ass?"

Have whip, will travel.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-14-04 at 12:02 PM
Answer: Who is Bebo? Conga-rats!

Question: Someone just turned 9K.

"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention." Tom Peters

"The KenJen drinking game"
Posted by Brownroach on 07-21-04 at 03:27 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2104085/

Jeopardrink!: the KenJen Edition (credit for the name goes to Christopher Collins, a program developer in Indianapolis).

The guiding principle of the game is elegantly simple: The worse Ken does, the drunker you get. This structure satisfies both KenJen fans (who can regard their increasing inebriation as solace for their hero's downfall) and the anti-Ken contingent (who can jubilantly toast the demise of their foe). The rules combine elements from too many entries to mention them all, but you know who you are.

1) If KenJen misses a question, everybody drinks once. If one of his opponents gets that same question right, drink again.

2) If KenJen misses a Daily Double, drink twice.

3) Responding to clues during regular play is optional (though who can resist shouting out the ones you know?), but Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy can be used as occasions for competitive drinking. When Daily Doubles come up, each player shouts out his or her answer, and whoever misses (or of course, forgets to phrase her response in the form of a question) must take another swig. During the commercial before Final Jeopardy, drinks may be wagered on the outcome: "U.S. Presidents? I'll take that for three." If you're right, you get to make your opponents take three drinks; if you're wrong, take them yourself.

4) Finally, a few "Hi, Bob!"-style rules to keep everyone on their toes and celebrate the quirks that make KenJen so lovable or loathsome, depending on your point of view. Everybody drinks once whenever:

a) Alex Trebek mentions Ken's affiliation with the Mormon church;

b) KenJen's answer ends with a stylistic flourish, like last night's, "What are the munchies, man?" in response to a clue about an 8-letter word for "hunger pangs";

c) The banter between Alex and Ken becomes disturbingly intimate. A few nights ago, one of KenJen's victims mentioned in the chat segment that if he beat the champ that night, he planned to get a tattoo of Alex Trebek in celebration. This anecdote inspired an odd KenJen riff about having 30-odd tattoos of Alex all over his body, one for each night of his winning streak thus far. A mental image like that one is definitely an excuse for a drink.

Finally, as Steven Reynolds, a technical writer from Cohasset, Mass., writes, "Something special needs to be in place for whenever Ken is finally defeated. I think either a bottle of the finest champagne for a quiet and modest celebration of this greatest of Jeopardy! champions ... or maybe a few bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 to wash away the sorrow that comes with the prospect of Jeopardy! without Mr. Jennings."

There are only four games remaining until the season ender this Friday, when we find out whether KenJen will make the jump to come back as next season's returning champion. So stock up on Potent Potables, and remember: Always Jeopardrink! responsibly. Thanks for playing!

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

"RE: The KenJen drinking game"
Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-21-04 at 03:45 PM
I would just like to point out the irony of making up a drinking game for a Mormon.

"RE: The KenJen drinking game"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-21-04 at 03:57 PM
ROFL, good one PRE. Maybe we could hit KenJen up for a bar tab since he's not going to drink it all away.

Scratch and sniff

"Spoiler warning"
Posted by udg on 07-23-04 at 10:30 AM
This post is about today's episode. If you don't want to know early, don't read!

Jennings won again today. He also (finally) broke the 1 day record, winning $75,000! The final Jeopard question (which I answered correctly, unlike 2 of the 3 contestants) was to name 2 of the 4 Shakespeare plays in which ghosts appear on stage. (I knew Macbeth, Hamlet, and Julius Ceasar. I missed Richard III, but you only needed to list two.)

So, he's coming back again next season.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004
Thought Trebeck was gonna wet himself when Jennings finally broke the record.

"RE: Spoiler warning"
Posted by cqvenus on 07-23-04 at 10:38 AM

how do you know? you are on jeopardy tonight? which one's gonna be you??? you should post on the OT so ppl can watch tonight!

~ cq

first nude cheesy man now this - BostonT

Posted by udg on 07-23-04 at 11:16 AM
I'm the one who doesn't win a million.

Nah. Really, it just plays here before it plays there. Too bad they don't do that with SURVIVOR.

Hi, my name is Ken.

Posted by cqvenus on 07-23-04 at 11:19 AM

where's *here*?

~ cq

hi, ken. your million is sexy. but your mormonism, sorry, that's a turn-off for me.

Posted by udg on 07-23-04 at 11:48 AM
Here is Germany. I watch it on AFN.

But I'm also a computer geek. Doesn't that count for anything?

"Photoshop contest on Fark.com:"
Posted by Tiger Lily on 07-23-04 at 06:36 PM
What will the Mormon church do with their 10% of Ken Jennings' loot?

There's a couple of pretty funny ones posted.

Mild warning: a couple of PG13-ish ads on the page.

~Lily~

"He's my hero"
Posted by strid333 on 07-24-04 at 11:54 PM
Just sayin'

My best friend had to work at the times Jeopardy was playing yesterday and day before yesterday. She said it was the first time she ever taped Jeopardy. Ken is her hero, too.

"KenJen ad nauseum"
Posted by Molaholic on 07-26-04 at 10:11 PM
Well, now that we know KenJen ran the season (which answers why there were no spoilers from audience members from his losing game -- it hasn't happened yet!) I still say we'll see a category on "Questions Ken Missed", but maybe in the college championship.
BTW -- DNC will play havoc with air times here on the left coast this week

A.S.S. PTB Red Points CONSOLATION winner
sigpic a GeorgiaBelle creation MMIV