URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 496
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Who's Applying for S3?"

Posted by desert_rhino on 03-28-01 at 12:31 PM
I just sent my application yesterday, overnight mail. The video was the most fun, I spent about 30 hours total on it, and did all the editing digitally, then dumped it back to tape. 2 minutes, 59 and 1/6 seconds. woohoo!

Anyone have any idea how long it takes them to get back to you if they're interested?

-- JV

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Who's Applying for S3?"
Posted by desert_rhino on 03-28-01 at 01:20 PM
I also seem to recall that there was a site somewhere that I was reading messages from people who'd applied, been interviewed, etc... but I lost it in the crazy push to get my hard drive clean enough to stuff 8+ Gigs of video into it for editing. Any ideas where that might be?

-- JV

Posted by Monkeyboy on 03-28-01 at 02:53 PM
What did you do in your video?

(Me and my friend wanted to apply, but my boss and his wife
said "no way".)

Posted by desert_rhino on 03-28-01 at 03:45 PM
Wouldn't telling you what I did be giving up my "edge?" I put a hell of a lot of work into the psychological impact of my video. Tell you what, I'll tell you all about it, and if I get it online somewhere, give you a link, but not until April 14th.

Suffice it to say that it was funny, physical, and also played on my status as a 37-year-old single father of 2.

-- JV

Posted by moleseeker on 03-29-01 at 03:59 AM
>I also seem to recall that
>there was a site somewhere
>that I was reading messages
>from people who'd applied, been
>interviewed, etc... but I
>lost it in the crazy
>push to get my hard
>drive clean enough to stuff
>8+ Gigs of video into
>it for editing. Any
>ideas where that might be?

I think this might be what you're looking for. This guy started his own sight for people who have sent in tapes. He might have answers for you. Http://www.pickme4survivor3.com Hope this helps

Posted by moleseeker on 03-29-01 at 05:16 AM

>Anyone have any idea how long
>it takes them to get
>back to you if they're
>interested?

I did some checking all applications need to be received by April 13. they said they will be contacting people after that at the end of April to sometime in May.
-Jen

Posted by 5Foot3 on 03-29-01 at 06:22 PM
I am a Canadian and was told that Canadians can't apply for Survivor. This sucks.......

Posted by darbygrl on 03-30-01 at 02:39 PM
You GO!! Good for you. I seriously hope you make the cuts. Single father of 2 should pull something for you. I saw an interview with Jeff Probst about the inteviews in LA. They really are looking for people who just be themselves. you go!

P.s. That sucks that Canadians can't apply

Posted by desert_rhino on 03-30-01 at 02:52 PM
Heh. Then I'm a shoe-in. I am always myself, even when it ends me up in a pot of hot (or boiling) water. {grin} (right, leaf-boy?)

It was weird sitting around with a bunch of friends trying to guess the psychology of the people who'll be responsible for the "cuts." Here's what we came up with:

First cut: they don't like your photo
Second cut: they don't like your application answers for some reason. Hard to read, skipped answers, BORING!
Third cut: Videotape is completely uninteresting
All these cuts are probably by interns
Fourth cut: actual producers or assistants examine and re-cut for the above 3 reasons.
Fifth cut: INTERVIEWS
Sixth cut: physical/mental exams

the first 4 cuts happen behind the scenes, and if they really get 100,000 applications, then it's about 120 to 1 against getting an interview. (100,000 -> 800)

cut 5 is 800 -> 48, which is about 16 to 1 against.

cut 6 is 48 -> 16 (plus alternates?) or 4 to 1 against.

Overall: ~6,250 to 1 against.

I'm NOT holding my breath, but I AM hopeful. Every part of my application is as interesting as I could make it, and the 3 FEET to snow that I had to work with that weekend was a BIG help. That, my mountain bike, a good soundtrack, and a willingness to make a complete fool of myself on video all contributed, of course!

-- JV