URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 4256
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Quotable Quotes Per Episode"

Posted by FireAnt on 09-15-06 at 00:47 AM
First episode, Sekou: As he slaps the top of Hiki's new hut, he says "this here is low-income housing." Earlier in the show, when talking about the division of the tribes by ethnicity, I think it was Sundra who said that African Americans "don't just run track."

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Quotable Quotes Per Episode"
Posted by mistyrose52 on 09-15-06 at 09:50 AM
I think it's interesting that the African-American and one member of the Asian tribe are able to 'make light' of the whole ethnical situation, and go as far as doing their own stereotyping.

I think in the AA's case, they have comedians like Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy to fall back on, and we all have listened to those people, along with Whoopie, and laughed along with them, but God forbid, nothing like that would ever come out of a white mouth!

It's just interesting to me seeing the different cultures taking on these tasks and finding themselves in the middle of basically a culture war, whether they chose to see it that way or not.

I see, too, that as a viewer, I find myself putting the different groups into cultural categories (ie the Hispanics can scale the walls better than anyone because they have to know how to cross the borders).

Do you see where this could go if we aren't careful? I found myself falling into that trap several times last night! And I have NEVER considered myself a biggot in any way-I have friends from all walks and races.

I wonder if the other races out there can say the same? Are you finding yourselves categorizing the other tribes by what they are stereotypically KNOWN to be able to do??

Posted by jbug on 09-15-06 at 10:44 AM
I know I thought from the beginning that the Asian group would do well and they did! From my personal experience, these are SMART people who are hard working, dedicated, determined, loyal, and persistant. Sure there must be some who don't fit these characteristics but those I have met surely do. So, I guess I do have a predetermined "stereo-type" notion of the Asian Tribe.

Posted by FireAnt on 09-15-06 at 12:33 PM
You could always view this ethnic/sociological experiment in a positive light: while watching ensuing episodes, viewers will develop favourite tribes, ones they could see themselves on due to personality similarities rather than cultural ones. After the first episode, I would have liked to join Hiki (AA) or Aitu (Latino), and I'm caucasian. I just liked what I saw of these tribes' personalities.

Yes, even the survivors themselves were stereo-typing. Recall Flicka describing her tribe: "we've got the jock . . . and I'm the alternative . . . option." Which was certainly a memorable quote, and that's what this thread is about: Quotable Quotes! Can we get back on track?

Posted by TxMom2011 on 09-18-06 at 02:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how the sterotypes play out. I am eagerly awaiting a swimming challenge. IMHO Black folks as a whole are not goood swimmers. It has little to do with their ethnicity and more to do with socio-economics. I grew up in the burbs where everyone had a pool and if you didnt there was a neighborhood pool. My inner-city cousins are not strong swimmers, if they can swim at all, because they didn't have access to a pool growing up. Has there been a strong Black swimmer on Survivor... I can't remember one. Can you?

Posted by Aruba on 09-18-06 at 09:00 PM
Yep...Jolanda from Survivor Palau. During the premier episode the first "challenge" was everyone swimming to shore. The first male and female won the right to start the schoolyard pick which guaranteed them to start the game. Yolanda beat out nine other women (and a few men) to take the women's title.

It's easy to forget her since the Ulong tribe committed the cardinal sin of voting out the stonger player right in the beginning when critical team challenges have to be won.

As it turned out Ulong (affectionately known as "So-Long") paid dearly for that decision.

Posted by TxMom2011 on 09-19-06 at 02:51 PM
Yeah... how could I forget Jolanda - who just happens to have grown up in the same area of Houston as I did.

Posted by keanuskiss on 09-15-06 at 12:51 PM
"I need to take a break". That cracked me up. He needed to go, he was not going to contribute a whole lot.

Posted by jbug on 09-18-06 at 09:27 AM
Billy : "When the tribes were divided, I thought 'What an advantage for the Hispanics' -- the Hispanics all come from the Caribbean or South America backgrounds where we're used to being in the tropical setting,..."

This struck me as odd. Was Billy implying that he (& the others on his tribe) were all transplants - having been born & raised in the Caribbean - tropical settings and moved to their current USA locations?
or that just from their heritage, since their ancestors were "used to the tropical setting" that it was an advantage to all of them automatically?

You know, just because my grandparents were farmers and milked cows, that doesn't make me automatically know how to do it! LOL

Posted by FireAnt on 09-22-06 at 00:09 AM
WHOA!!!!! Billy takes it in the second episode (in terms of a quotable quote)with his "it was love at first sight" comment regarding Candice. Jeez, just wait 'til Candice hears about that! Wonder if she will be more surprised than the rest of us were, including Jeff. Too bad Billy's gone--with surreal comments like that, he'd have been fun to watch for a few more episodes!

Posted by Lasann on 09-22-06 at 09:14 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-06 AT 09:14 AM (EST)

Last night JP said, paraphrasing because my memory's bad,:

Our tribe is doing well. We are good workers, it's in our blood.

Someone with TIVO can maybe quote him exact.

Edited to remove duplicate sig

Posted by emydi on 09-22-06 at 10:36 AM
Lasann, have we been told what countries each of the Aitu come from? Billy is DR and he said others in Carib but I don't remember hearing it like we did with Puka tribe

Bc the stereotype for Mexicans (ala Mendicino the comic) is that they work hard...

Posted by Lasann on 09-22-06 at 10:53 AM
If we've been told I missed it. I was wondering that also. His profile says that he was born in Santa Monica - nothing on his country of origin!

Posted by Brownroach on 09-22-06 at 01:28 PM
They all come from the country of California.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Posted by xwraith27 on 09-22-06 at 06:15 PM
Cecilia's Peruvian.

Posted by iltarion on 09-22-06 at 02:43 PM

"Me and Billy Boy, it was love at first sight." - Candice

Hahaha... Okay, I just made that stuff up. Hahahahahahaha....