URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 3656
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"S11 PTB Individual Immunity Challenge #1"

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-09-05 at 10:22 AM
With the exodus of so many PTB players this week, I am left with no choice but to merge you, congratulations Dreamer Believer, Cuon, Das Mole, Libra Rising, John Mc, and MJewel for making the merge, from here on out, the challenges will be individual in nature.

Today's challenge is called Survivor Geography Mapper and here is what you need to do:

1. Make a chain across the country including as many survivors as you can visit. Once you start you can't backtrack in any direction. So for example if you start with someone in Los Angeles and then go up to San Francisco, you can still go east from there but could not go further south then San Francisco at any further point in the chain. (Exception: If 5 survivors are listed as living in LA they would all be counted as equal, in other words you don't have to find out which one lives the furthest west and start with them, they are all the same for purposes of this game.)

2. If you start in a city that has more than 1 survivor, listing all of the survivors from that city will count as 1 point each.

3. Your goal is to get the longest chain mileage wise and include the most survivors. You get 1 point for each survivor used, and 1 pt for each mile in your chain.

4. You must use the city that shows on the CBS website as the place of residence while the survivor filmed their season, not where they were born or live now.

5. You do not need to mark the mileage on your entry, I will calculate the mileage using mapquest.

6. Use survivors from seasons 1-10 only and not including season 8.

If you have any questions, please ask them on this thread. Deadline for entries is Tuesday at 8pm EST, please send them to me via PM.

Sample Entry:
Zoe Zandackis Monhegan ME, Julie Berry Gorham ME, Gregg Carey Chicago IL, etc etc with no backtracking so I couldn't use Osten Taylor Boston MA next.

Immunity plus 5 picks added to their alotment for the first place person, 5 picks added to their alotment to the 2nd and 3rd place person. Survivors ready? Go!

Good luck and have fun!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: S11 PTB Individual Immunity Challenge #1"
Posted by MJewel on 10-09-05 at 12:06 PM
Question about Ethan Zohn...CBS states Hometown is Lexington, Massachusetts but currently residens in NYC. Which should be used?

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-09-05 at 01:03 PM
I want you to use the place that is stated as their residence on the CBS website at the time of their filming the game. Some of the places are actually listed in the body of the text and not just in the recap, so you might have to read the text for actual hometown as that is what I will be basing it on.

Posted by LibraRising on 10-09-05 at 11:15 PM
Still confused. Stephenie, for example, under her profile says:
Stephenie
Parmaceutical Sales Rep
Philadelphia, PA

Then in her bio, it says she currently lives in Toms River, NJ. So we would use Toms River in this case?

A Nutzy/IceCat masterpiece.

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 02:55 AM
Yes, Toms River for Stephenie, the paragraph bio is taking precedence over what it says in the quick clips.

"Question regarding NYC"
Posted by Das Mole on 10-09-05 at 07:04 PM
Some survivors say "Brooklyn, NY" or "Manhattan" for example...should those all be counted as NYC for this, or are they separate? If they're not all NYC, I'm assumuing we aren't allowed to make a Bronx-Queens-Manhattan type of chain?

"RE: Question regarding NYC"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-09-05 at 07:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-05 AT 07:53 PM (EST)

Let's consider Brooklyn, Manhatten, Long Island, The Bronx and any typical NYC suburb as NYC for the purposes of this game, I really don't want you to have to cut technicalities etc. like that, that would make this exercise even tougher than it is.

The same would apply to any direct suburb of LA or Boston or any major city. So like Plano and McKinney would be considered as with Dallas crowd. Canton, Newton, etc would be the Boston crowd. Anything that is a reasonable suburb of the megaplex.

Posted by MJewel on 10-09-05 at 09:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-05 AT 09:06 PM (EST)

Maybe a stupid question here but here goes...let's say you start in CA and move downward and then east towards Texas. Can you then proceed east from Texas and upwards to let's say New York, Maine, etc. or would that be considered backtracking? Thanks! (I think I need the geography for dummies book) .

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 02:57 AM
Very slight degrees are going to be allowable, but no major backtracking to the north or to the south, to the east or to the west. So you couldn't go from LA to San Francisco to Phoenix Arizona to Lincoln Nebraska. But if a city is along the same latitude lines like LA and Phoenix Arizona, that will be considered close enough.

Posted by cuon10 on 10-10-05 at 01:00 AM
Clairificatioin question. I read the instructions, but I have a question about this. For instance, if u started in like Fl and went across the bottom US and listed someone in AZ, then to CA
could you go back west to east further up north in the US as though u were following the states that say 40 runs through and then, say you end up in VA, could you go up again towards like NY and go back west always climbing? Kind of like layering or tiered?

Or is it basically once u have used up a direction, ie north, south, east to west or west to east, u have used up those directions and cannot go in the direction in reverse, only through different states?

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 03:00 AM
Your chain can't backtrack in any direction (although see above, slight offsets as long as they are within roughly the same latitude will be acceptable). So once you start heading north you can't dip further south and once you start heading west you couldn't come back east. It is not a winding chain that I am looking for, more like a direct and steadily climbing or descending chain.

"Scoring note:"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 03:03 AM
I will score your chain up until the point that it is broken or until it reaches the end with valid survivors and cities. I am not going to get super nit picky on exact latitude or longitude lines as far as the back tracking rule, but it has to be within reason using common sense.

"clarification question"
Posted by JohnMc on 10-10-05 at 11:41 AM
So does each entry have to, for example, if you start in the Northwest, have to go both south and/or east? And once I've gone as far south and east, I can't go back north as I continue to go east?

"RE: clarification question"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 01:23 PM
That is correct. Once you start going east you can't go back west and once you start going south you can't go more north.

Posted by LibraRising on 10-10-05 at 12:47 PM
One final question. I promise.

When we talk about backtracking, are we looking only at it on a point-to-point basis, or does the route itself count?

For example, let's say that there's this certain island that's long and you get on it traveling east. Your next destination after that is to the north and east of this island that's long. However, the only road to get off this island is to the west. So, if you were driving (or using Mapquest) you'd have to backtrack to get to the destination, but an "as the crow flies" route would not be backtracking.

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it should be.

A Nutzy/IceCat masterpiece.

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 01:26 PM
No problem, it is a good question. I will be basing it "as the crow flies" for the backtracking aspect, but based on mapquest for the mileage to get the points per mile.

Remember too that I said that you could include the island that is long with the other NYC burroughs as a suburb.

Posted by cuon10 on 10-10-05 at 02:15 PM
So if I am understanding correctly, you could go North to South, turn westward, travel west, drop south again at a lower latitude, continue west again,then drop latitude again, never backtracking, is that right?
But you cannot go this route mentioned above in this post and then comeback east at a lower latitude, correct?

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-10-05 at 02:27 PM
Yes.

Posted by cuon10 on 10-11-05 at 03:44 PM
mine is in. Hopefully, I did not flub it up. Fingers crossed.

Posted by byoffer on 10-11-05 at 04:30 PM
This. is what I miss about KO's summer trivia game. That was so fun. Thanks again KO.

What an awesome map challenge. I am so gellus that I am no longer in the game. I might have to play this one just for fun (when are the answers due?)

Anyone want to buy my spreadsheet of Survivor data??? I will start the bidding at 5 LL points.

This challenge further's my argument that #51 should NOT have been a winning answer in that other game. WAY.TOO.EASY! I believe #52 was a much more KO-style answer.

Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-11-05 at 04:45 PM
You are certainly welcome to submit on this challenge just for the fun of it By. The deadline is 8pm EST tonight but you can always PM it to me any time, just don't look back in this thread until you have submitted because after 8 tonight I will be revealing the winner and their path.

Ahhhh By sweety, you still haven't forgiven me for my one lapse of being extremely nice?

Posted by MJewel on 10-11-05 at 06:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-11-05 AT 06:09 PM (EST)

I just pm'd my immunity entry to you KO. If you by some chance don't get it please let me know. I hope it is right .

"Results"
Posted by KObrien_fan on 10-11-05 at 08:25 PM
Thank you to all who participated in the challenge, hope it was as fun for you as it was for me! Here are the top three entries:

Libra Rising
Seattle, WA
Willard Smith (Bellevue)

Tacoma, WA
Nick Brown (Steilacoom)
Sandra Diaz-Twine (Fort Lewis)

Portland, OR
Lindsay Richter

San Francisco, CA
Stacey Stillman
Sonja Christopher (Walnut Creek)
Vecepia Towery (Hayward)
Burton Roberts
Chad Crittenden (Oakland)

San Jose, CA
Ryan Opray (Los Gatos)

Santa Cruz, CA
Lex Van Den Berghe

Quartz Hill, CA
Brian Heidek

Los Angeles, CA
Jerri Manthey
Silas Gaither
Gabriel Cade (Hollywood)
Sean Rector
Sarah Jones (Newport Beach)
Deena Bennett (Riverside)
Alex Bell
Shawna Mitchell
Dave Johnson (Pasadena)
Roger Sexton (Valencia)
Christa Hastie
Jon Dalton
Shawn Cohen (Hollywood)
Brady Finta (Huntington Beach)
John Kenney
John Palyok
Bobby Jon Drinkard
Jennifer Lyon (Encino)
Nicole Delma (Hermosa Beach)

Phoenix, AZ
Tammy Leitner (Mesa)
Robb Zbacnik (Scottsdale)

Dallas, TX
Colby Donaldson
Brandon Quinton
Jake Billingsley (McKinney)
Penny Ramsey (Plano)
Jed Hildebrand
Jonathan Libby

Killeen, TX
Kel Gleason (Fort Hood)

Austin, TX
Erin Collins

Houston, TX
Daniel Lue
Jolanda Jones

New Orleans, LA
Lisa Keiffer
Angie Jakusz
John Raymond (Slidell)

Mobile, AL
James Miller

Gainesville, FL
Gina Crews

Tampa Bay, FL
Jan Gentry

Miami, FL
Colleen Haskell

4318 miles, 50 survivors, 4368 total points

Dreamer Believer
Steliacoom, Washington – Nick Brown
Portland, Oregon - Lindsey Richter
Walnut Creek, California - Sonja Christopher
Santa Cruz, California – Lex Van Den Berghe
Los Angeles, California - Jerri Manthey, Sean Rector, Shawna Mitchell, Alex Bell, Christa Hastie, John Palyok, John Kenney, Bobby Jon Drinkard
Rancho Santa Fe, California - Kelly Goldsmith
Plano, Texas - Penny Ramsey
Liberty, Mississippi (Amite County) – Darrah Johnson
Mobile, Alabama – James Miller
Tampa, Florida – Jan Gentry
Miami Beach, Florida – Colleen Haskell

4196 miles, 18 survivors, 4214 total points

Cuon
Zoe Zanidakis Monhegan Island, Maine
Julie Berry Gorham, Maine
Osten Taylor Boston, Massachusetts
Elisabeth Filarski Boston, Massachusetts
Mia Galeolalanza Boston, Massachusetts
Linda Spencer Cambridge, Massachusetts
Rob Mariano Canton, Massachusetts
Jeanne Hebert North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Helen Glover Middletown, RI
Alicia Calaway NY, NY
Jeff Varner Ny, Ny
Robert DeCanio Ny(Queens)Ny
Shawn Cohen Ny, Ny
Shii-Ann Huang Ny, Ny
Ken Stafford Ny, Ny
Sean Rector Ny, (Harlem)Ny
Ramona Gray Edison, NJ
Gervase Peterson Philadelphia, PA
Kim Powers Comoshocken, PA
Trisha Dunn Annapolis, Md
Matthew Von Ertfelda Washington D. C.
Tanya Vance Kingsport, Tn
Tina Wesson Knoxville, Tn
Stephanie Dill Ozark, Arkansas
Dave Johnson LA, California
John Palyok LA, California
Alex Bell LA, California
Christa Hastie LA, California
Jerri Manthey LA, California
Brady Finta Huntington Beach, CA
Sarah Jones Newport Beach, Ca
Hunter Ellis LaJolla, Ca
Kelly Goldsmith Rancho Santa Fe, Ca

3658 miles, 33 survivors, 3691 total points

You each get 5 picks added to your alotment, but Libra Rising you win the first individual immunity! Congratulations and good work to all.

MJ, for the record, Odessa NY is near the finger lakes and is near Elmyra, it isn't a suburb of NYC, sorry.