URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 2477
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Where does Pagong come from?"

Posted by lovetowatch on 04-26-04 at 06:12 PM
Not sure if this was a Survivor term or is it a made up term from this board. I heard ShiiAnn use it last week and it surprised me.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Where does Pagong come from?"
Posted by JohnMc on 04-26-04 at 06:28 PM
Pagong (puh-gong) - v. to systematically remove members of the opposing tribe before eating your own.

This technique was devised by Rich and the evil Tagi alliance in S1. The Tagi tribe decided at the merge to vote off each member of the Pagong tribe one by one until there were only Tagi members left. 4 of the 5 Tagi tribe members voted in this fashion at this fashion. (And Sean decided that the Alphabet strategy was his key to not having to vote as part of the "evil" block of 4 and make people mad.)

Since S1, most Survivor installments have involved some variation on the theme of Pagong. The best installments have actually drifted away from Pagoning, such as S6 and S7 when tribes got shuffled around enough that tribe loyalty was not as important as simply surviving for one more tribal council.

Games where Pagong played a major impact: S1, S2, S3, S4, S5

These also got boring after the second round, though having to live off the land without the rice ration was a fun change in S4.

Games where Pagoning never really took place: S6, S7 (see above)

Game where Pagong is just as boring as before: S8

Posted by silentJ on 04-27-04 at 02:12 AM
Survivor:Marcaseas (S4) was not a pagonging. Kathy, Pascal, and Nelah joined with Sean and eventual winner Vee of the opposing tribe to eliminate the Rotu Four.

Posted by dabo on 04-27-04 at 02:34 AM
Yes, the Misfit Alliance Pagonged the Rotu4, that was a great season.

Posted by JohnMc on 04-27-04 at 11:00 AM
I have to agree w/Dabo. S4 was a Pagong of the misfit alliance against the Rotu4. While it was not a pure "pagong" of team against team, the Misfit 5 did systematically pagong the core Rotu 4.

And mad props to Neleh for figuring out how to play the game, getting her alliance of 5 together, and outwitting the Rotu 4. She definitely had a better game than Amber!

Posted by mikey on 04-27-04 at 09:13 AM
It was interesting to me that they put that in as it was a rare instance of a player making a reference to a previous season in a game (and one in which she was not involved). I would be curious to know if many of the more casual viewers of the show knew what she was talking about.

I saw a reference to a previous season once on TAR -- when Amanda was whining and Chris referred to her as "Flo."