URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 1336
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Keith's (almost) famous brother"

Posted by Fast Eddie on 08-11-02 at 02:49 PM
Baseball trivialists might have heard of him. It's a good story: Mel Famie was a promising minor league relief pitcher that got called up by the Milwaukee Brewers. He was talented, but drank too much. At least he was loyal. In Milwaukee, he drank only the local Schlitz beer. Anyway, in a crucial game, he got to pitch in the bottom of the ninth, score tied. To make a long story short, since he had been drinking, he was pretty erratic. Every pitch he threw was a ball. Finally, with the bases loaded, he walked in the winning run for the other team.

As he walked off, an opposition player noticed a can in his back pocket and asked the coach what it was. The coach replied:

"That's Schlitz - the beer that made Mel Famie walk us."

(Say it out loud. Hopefully you recall the commercials.)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Keith's (almost) famous brother"
Posted by ejm92 on 08-11-02 at 05:42 PM
LMAO!!!! Haha, a very good story there, wonder how Mel would fare on Survivor?

Posted by sittem on 08-14-02 at 10:39 PM
OMH, ejm - there's a packer brother out there!!

Thanks FE - I remember the joke from the old days - good update relating to the great chef.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Posted by Survivorerist on 08-11-02 at 08:21 PM
>>>That's Schlitz - the beer that made Mel Famie walk us.<<<

Buahahahahaha! It took me a while to get that one

=======================

Survivorerist - Oh where oh where did my sig pic go?

(Courtesy of Strider )

Sir's Mole Record
Was the Mole: 0 times
Nailed the Mole: 2 times

Posted by weltek on 08-12-02 at 11:46 AM
Too funny! For someone that used to live in that area, I can't believe I'd never heard that one!

Posted by Fast Eddie on 08-12-02 at 03:40 PM
I've lived all my life in Toronto. Believe it or not, I heard that joke as a kid in the 1950's. I don't know what caused me to remember it now.

Posted by ivoryElephant on 08-12-02 at 09:48 PM
I don't know if its the 16 hours per day of studying or not, but I don't get it....

"I call you up in the middle of the night, like a firefly without a light. You were there like a blowtorch burning, I was a key that needed a little turning"

Posted by Survivorerist on 08-13-02 at 01:00 AM
Well don't worry, Ivory, it's only a joke. Keep up that stud hardying!

=======================

Survivorerist - Oh where oh where did my sig pic go?

(Courtesy of Strider )

Sir's Mole Record
Was the Mole: 0 times
Nailed the Mole: 2 times

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 08-13-02 at 12:52 PM
>I don't know if its the 16 hours per day of
>studying or not, but I don't get it....

>>>That's Schlitz - the beer that made Mel Famie walk us.<<<

Maybe you just need to get a few beers into you and try splitting up the word "Famie" into two, then rearrange the words "Mel Fam ie walk us" and it should start to make sense. (say it out loud, it'll make sense phonetically)

Posted by PackMan on 08-13-02 at 01:00 PM
I hope this isn't one of those threads that ends up making me feel old because I actually remember the commercials...

I remember this joke from college. My roommate was always passing along these *ahem* gems from his dad.

We are not in a position in which we have nothing to work with. We already have capacities, talents, direction, missions, callings. - Abraham Maslow

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the driveway before it has stopped snowing. - Anonymous

Posted by Fast Eddie on 08-13-02 at 01:09 PM
>I hope this isn't one of
>those threads that ends up
>making me feel old because
>I actually remember the commercials...

I don't know if they still do the commercials, but I bought some Schlitz beer last week. Their slogan "Schlitz - the beer that made Milwaukee famous" is still printed on the can. So you can deny any reference to ancient history and chalk it up to reading the can recently.

Posted by PackMan on 08-13-02 at 01:13 PM
Yeah, that's the ticket. I read it on the can...

We are not in a position in which we have nothing to work with. We already have capacities, talents, direction, missions, callings. - Abraham Maslow

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the driveway before it has stopped snowing. - Anonymous

"Another Beer commercial for the old folks"
Posted by Silvergirl1 on 08-14-02 at 09:02 AM

National Beer, National Beer,
You'll love the taste of National Beer,
And while we're at it we're proud to say,
It's brewed on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay!

Proud to be an old lady from Baltimore.

"RE: Another Beer commercial for the old folks"
Posted by weltek on 08-15-02 at 10:39 AM
My father-in-law used to sing his son to sleep with the Hamm's beer song. Incidentally, he's a minister. As for my husband, yeah, he brews beer avidly in our basement. Guess your childhood really does affect your adulthood.