URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID37
Thread Number: 190
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Where is the Horse Statue in Rome?"

Posted by rosesnote on 12-18-01 at 08:31 AM
I was just re-watching Episode 6 where the teams travel to Rome. It's too bad they didn't spend as much time in Rome as they did in Paris!

Where is that horse statue located in Rome? What monument is it located in front of?

Congratulations Rob and Brennan!

Roses-Note

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Where is the Horse Statue in Rome?"
Posted by ykchan on 12-18-01 at 08:29 PM
About the horse statue -- it is front of the monument that the Romans call "the wedding cake" or "typewriter" -- a.k.a. the Victor Emanuele II.

Here is a picture:

"RE: Where is the Horse Statue in Rome?"
Posted by Ruthless on 12-18-01 at 10:03 PM
Certainly a lot of "hoofs" there. Probably would have been much easier to find than the "foot" - though it was a pretty big foot.

Was it Lenny and Karyn who went for the "foot" and then lost time because of a "production difficulty"?

"I spent time in Rome this summer..."
Posted by itsjustarace on 12-19-01 at 03:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-01 AT 03:34 PM (EST)

and the two options are VERY close together. The "horse statue" is Victor Emmanuel -- he was the leader of Italy when they became a unified country in the mid to late 1800's. The monument is very controversial because it is relatively modern (in Roman terms) and they stuck it right in front of the Ancient Roman Forum and Colloseum. Thus they've given it many negative names among those "the Wedding Cake"

The "big foot" is basically right next door, just a few hundred yards away, at the Capitoline Museum. It is part of some of the remains of a huge statue of Constantine.

Looking at these pictures:

Here's the wedding cake.

The museum with the foot is to the right, up this staircase:

and into the museum where the statue remnants are in a courtyard.

If I remember correctly, the museum opened up an hour before the monument and I was surprised that no other teams took advantage of this.

And they should've spent more time in Italy. It is one of the most amazing countries on earth!