URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 1927
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"So what exactly was the purpose of the first part of episode 2."

Posted by esquire on 11-24-04 at 10:40 PM
Episode 2 begins in Iceland. They fly to Norway and do a bunch of stuff. Then at the end of the day, they are all put in the same place and start anew at the same time in a viking boat race.

This is a race? right? So What exactly was the purpose fo making them race and do things if they were all going to start again the next day at the same time?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: So what exactly was the purpose of the first part of episode 2."
Posted by ARnutz on 11-24-04 at 10:57 PM
They did the same thing in episode 1, they all slept on the glacier in tents. It struck me as funny because I never noticed this happening in previous TAR seasons. I really hope this is not a new thing they are always going to do.

Posted by seahorse on 11-24-04 at 11:50 PM
They do this all the time, sometimes no flights are available till the next day, other times a required location does not open until a certain time.

I do agree the Viking ship was really ridiculous, at least in the tents thhe teams left the following morning at four different times a half-hour apart. On the ship race all ten teams had to wait to start the race and then they are seperated by only a few minutes after the ship race.

We tend to hate the bunching but if it didn't exist, the race would be very onesided by the 10th or 12th leg.

Posted by ARnutz on 11-25-04 at 07:25 AM
Ahhhh... very wise seahorse! You're right, without the bunching a team could be several countries ahead of the rest and we would not have all the drama and excitement.

The viking boat thing? Was ridiculous!

Posted by Loree on 11-25-04 at 10:18 AM
I was wondering what would have happened if one or two teams would have gotten really lost and not made it to the Viking boat the same day as the others. Would they have done some behind the scenes helping to hurry the lagging teams along?

Posted by pmspml5 on 11-25-04 at 10:28 AM
Did you notice that M&M barely made it before sunrise. They just had to be completely exhausted when they got there.

Posted by louislam on 11-25-04 at 01:04 PM
I also noticed that, they were really much behind the other teams...also in ep.1 they had to take shuttle no.5...

Posted by Canada Girl on 11-25-04 at 02:50 PM
I hated the viking boat thing, thought it was useless.

However, it may have had to do with the train schedule - say, something like one train a day to their destination.

Keep your eye on the ball!

Posted by Starshine on 11-25-04 at 04:08 PM
So let them wait at the station like in previous years.

Think the producers were hoping for some conflict in the picking of teams. I suspect that we may have more of these sorts of tasks to bring back the Mirna/Colin magic.

Posted by anotherkim on 11-26-04 at 00:17 AM

the teamwork aspect of the game is part of what makes it interesting. We have to see the teams interact with each other as well as race. Plus, the bunching is a psychological thing. Teams never know when they are going to have a cushion or not. They can't get lazy or make assumptions that their lead is a sure thing.

"Race" is used very loosely in this "game". Bottom line...it's a television show.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--and my favorite one at that!