URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 1715
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Stoopid luxury items"

Posted by mikey on 01-13-03 at 10:54 AM
Possibly the worst luxury items (aside from last season's skateboard):

waterballoons? If they are not filled with water, then they would be referred to as "balloons." If filled with water, would you want to carry these on your hike to camp?

High School Wrestling Jacket (from a 33 year-old guy) -- and -- he is named one of People Magazine's top 50 bachelors?
(I think Robb had a similar credit in his background). Does he still hang around the old school pickin' up the ladies?

Magic 8 ball -- does the Magic 8 Ball have something to do with the John Nash gaming theory that Jeffy keeps mentioning?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"WTF?!?!?!?"
Posted by Survivorerist on 01-13-03 at 06:01 PM
Where to start, where to start...

Finisher Medal: 2001 Wildflower Triathlon (Alex)- Ahhhhh, yes, I used to get these kind of things in elementary school. We called them "Thanks For Coming Out, Better Luck Next Time" ribbons. Not exactly the kind of thing I'd bring with me and totally useless, unless he's gonna melt it to make a spoon or something.

Sage (Christy) - Is this like the spice? If so, it leaves me with one question. Why? Tis a shame really cuz I really wanted to like her.

Magnetic Rings (Daniel) - What on God's green earth are magnetic rings? Are they those Q-Ray bracelets I see on late night TV?

Water Balloons (Deena) - Yeah...what Mikey said.

Daughter's Teddy Bear (Janet) - Not so much a dumb Luxury Item, just don't start rapping on the beach.

Zeta Crown (Jenna) - Whatever the heck this is, it already sounds dumb.

Magic 8 Ball (Rob) - Way to copy a college kid. What's wrong? Couldn't come up with something creative by yourself?

Yeah, I'm done for now.

(Another IceCat original )

The Top 5 FLL Castaways

1. Neleh Dennis (11 weeks at #1)
2. Colby Donaldson (5 weeks at #1)
2. Helen Glover (5 weeks at #1)
4. Amber Brkich (4 weeks at #1)
4. Lex Van Den Burghe (4 weeks at #1)

"RE: WTF?!?!?!?"
Posted by BaquaR13 on 01-19-03 at 01:56 PM
Ok... the HS Jacket is pushing it, but i dont think there is anything wrong with Janet bringing her daughters teddy bear. I look at it two ways, it could be good for her and motivate her in the challenges knowing she has her family back home rooting for her. Or, she could miss them so much and it could distract her from the game...

The Reality Show Queens!!

BaQuAr13

"RE: WTF?!?!?!?"
Posted by Survivorerist on 01-20-03 at 05:55 PM
I know, BaquaR, but I was just making fun of the fact that she was bringing the same luxury item as Gabe did in S4. I don't really think it's a stupid item either

(Another IceCat original )

The Top 5 FLL Castaways

1. Neleh Dennis (11 weeks at #1)
2. Colby Donaldson (5 weeks at #1)
2. Helen Glover (5 weeks at #1)
4. Amber Brkich (4 weeks at #1)
4. Lex Van Den Burghe (4 weeks at #1)

"RE: Stoopid luxury items"
Posted by StrandedAgain on 01-13-03 at 08:33 PM
I thought I was being cynical, but the water balloons had me puzzled! Did she bring them with Riverside water, or are they deflated because then they're not water balloons anymore!

The wrestling jacket was priceless, Fonz!

The Zeta Crown must be a beauty pageant tiara she won and someone told her she looked like Catherine Zeta Jones.

Magic 8 ball, because he IS an 8 ball! Weird! If he wins bachelor pad with a sign that says "open" all the time! He's the token virgin for S6, because he got way too excited about it! Barf!

In defense of Christy's sage, sage is an herb (of course!) but in "cleansing" ceremonies, it it used to purify a toxic environment (ususally used in a dwelling, guess same thing in a camp) and drive out evil spirits. She may just have made a great choice.

Then Joe Marathon brought his medallion. He's so afraid we may forget he RUNS!

The magnetic rings I'll venture to say are the trendy "magnet therapy" kind you use on accupressure points to heal your big buffed body after strenuous challenges. Yuk!

Posted by ivoryElephant on 01-14-03 at 01:42 AM
What is up with Matthews HS letterman jacket?!?!?!?

Is he stuck in the past?
What kind of a moron is he?
REAL HS athletes don't wear their HS letermans once they graduate and this one guy who was the best baseball pitcher and QB in the state NEVER even wore his. He gave it to his mother who was a principal at the local junior high. She wore it more times than he did. (he never wore it)

Oh, and one more thing... A person that is in the restaurant business may do well in the game but they will NEVER WIN! NEVER!

Look at Keith and Clay, yes they went far, just as I predicted, BUT they are faaaarrrrrr too annoying to win.

"To the other three out there, break a leg.... and I mean it." - Helen Glover

Congratulations Alex winner of S6

Posted by LurkerJo on 01-22-03 at 01:02 AM
I have to disagree with the opinion about the Wrestling Jacket. Yes, a grown man wouldn't normally wear his jacket, but Matt figured out a way to bring something soft that he can lay his head on, and something warm, that if temperatures do get chilly at night, he can use it for warmth. Plus a good conversation starter with the younger crowd.

When they ask on the application to list 3 items, you better make sure that all three items are going to be of some advantage to you, and yet, still be an interesting item, that the producers would pick for you to take.

Butch bringing the banner means he probably also has a ready made pillow/blanket. (and remember how Paschal used his flag in a challenge?)

JMHO,
Jo

Posted by nailbone on 02-14-03 at 03:23 PM
And how Colby used that big Texas flag...

(c) 2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved. (c) 2002 Kingsladye Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities

Posted by LurkerJo on 02-14-03 at 04:34 PM
Well, I was right about the wrestling jacket. In Matthew's exclusive video profile over on the CBS website, they specifically ask him about it and he says he will use it as a pillow.

Jo

Posted by Swami on 01-14-03 at 03:17 PM
Water balloons (Deena) are a total rip-off. They are small balloons that clearly say "water balloon" on the package. They cost twice as much as regular balloons and come with a mouth that is too small to fit over most faucets. So how do you fill them? Especially in the Amazon where there are no hoses? Dumb. Oh, wait. She's a lawyer. She'll spit into them.

A school banner(Butch) signifies that when this loser is voted off he will make a speech about how he wanted to show all his "kids" that life is all about trying your best, and doing your best no matter what the circumstances are. Boring!

Magnetic Rings (Daniel) are what he always uses to hold up his... oh, nevermind. I don't want my post deleted.

Sketchbook and pen (Dave the Rocket Man) Smart. You can take notes & such. Make diagrams. Sketch out your plans for game dominance. And be the only man with toilet paper.

Daughter's teddy bear (Janet). Smart if you use it for a pillow. Dumb if it's your only friend.

Massage oil (Jeanne). Ha-ha! You're on an all-female tribe! Oh. Wait. Maybe she already knows that. Hmmmmm.

Zeta Crown (Jenna). Isn't that some kind of Canadian whisky?

Picture of her mother (Joanna). Boring. Goodbye, Joanna.

Swami

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 01-19-03 at 01:02 AM

Sketchbook and pen (Dave the Rocket Man) Smart. You can take notes & such. Make diagrams. Sketch out your plans for game dominance. And be the only man with toilet paper.

Swami, you crack me up!

Story Competitions website

Posted by StarvingButStrong on 02-14-03 at 00:58 AM
>
>Massage oil (Jeanne). Ha-ha!
>You're on an all-female tribe!
> Oh. Wait.
>Maybe she already knows that.
>Hmmmmm.
>

I think we may have a new contestant in the 'sneaking in a truly valuable item' contest. An edible oil (no matter what the flavoring is) opens up alternate ways of cooking AND as a fat provides desperately needed calories.

WTG, Jeanne!

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 02-14-03 at 01:32 AM

I agree with you. What a great idea!

Too bad they can't eat the stoopid Magic 8 ball. Hmmm, ya think it might be made out of licorice?

My Joe Millionaire Ep 5 Summary

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 02-14-03 at 03:47 AM
>Water balloons (Deena).

Perhaps Deena thinks the piranhas will mistake the balloons for dipstick flavored bubble gum??

>Sketchbook and pen (Dave the Rocket Man) Smart. You can take notes & such. Make diagrams. Sketch out your plans for game dominance. And be the only man with toilet paper.

True, but it would also give your tribemates something to sneak a peek at, and learn your secrets and check out your tactics. Hummm but that of course, would be a great misdirection ploy. Maybe not so dumb after all.

"Magic 8 ball will I make it to the end?"
Answer: Looks doubtful.

Sunny

Posted by survivorscott on 01-14-03 at 04:53 PM
Pardon me but aren't water balloons non bio degradeable?
Just what we need in the most ecologicaly sensitive area in the world, Non Bio Degradeable items

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Posted by Dakota on 02-01-03 at 05:43 PM
Ecologically sensitive part of the world . . . well, yea, what were they thinking bringing Probst in?

(BTW, the whole world has become ecologically sensitive, the rainforest is just higher up on the scale of importance.)

Posted by DRONES on 02-14-03 at 07:35 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-14-03 AT 07:47 AM (EST)

Oh don't worry MB will be getting his typical call from(drum role here for effect)...this year it looks like the Sierra Club. I'm sure they've already called in regards to his hamsters cutting down the forest.

Posted by Q on 01-15-03 at 11:57 AM
Magic 8 ball -- does the Magic 8 Ball have something to do with the John Nash gaming theory that Jeffy keeps mentioning?

And like others said, Its been done, by our own jeffGator. I wonder if he has been on these boards before and copied the idea from those threads. Or is it just a coincidence?

Thoughts?

"RE: Stoopid luxury items (about the Zeta crown)"
Posted by robbiefan51 on 01-20-03 at 08:46 AM
Jenna went to Duquesne University in Pittsbugh her freshmen year (when I was a sophomore there) which is where she pledged Zeta. She transfered out of Duq a few weeks after joining. One of my girlfriends was an active member of Zeta while Jenna pledged. She said the Zeta crown is a block of wood cut into the shape of a crown that all the sisters sign. Every pledge has one. No one in her chapter really heard from Jenna after she left and they don't understand why she would take her crown as her luxery item (apprently this is big news for the Duq Zeta chapter because my friend has received a number of emails about it).

Posted by Swami on 01-20-03 at 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Robbiefan51, and welcome to SB! Maybe she stayed active in Zeta at whichever school she transferred to. Or maybe it was the only crown MB would let her bring (not any beauty pageant ones). I guess a Princess just has to bring a crown to validate her lofty status--even if it is made of wood.

Swami

Posted by MellowYellow on 01-21-03 at 03:31 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-03 AT 03:33 AM (EST)

Are you implying a crown does not make a Queen?
(please note my Beauty Pageant Judge DAW status)

Posted by SurvivorOverlord on 01-28-03 at 05:32 PM
I have to agree that the high school jacket is really lame. The banner however depending on it's size could come in handy...remember until they traded all thier shelter for more rice, that Colby's Texas flag was a great shelter therefore being one of the best luxury items of all time.

"It's only cheating if you get caught".....Al Bundy

Posted by SurvivorOverlord on 01-28-03 at 06:35 PM
The following is a test of my sig pic...if it doesn't work then this post will self destruct in 5 seconds

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-29-03 at 01:45 PM
It's a nice-looking sig pic... however, it's 142 pixels in height. (right-click on the picture then click on "Properties" on the popup menu)

Some time ago (I'm sure well before you ever found this place), a request was put out to reduce sig pics to a maximum height of 60 pixels to lessen the amount of time it takes to open up threads and scroll down to read user's comments.

One idea is to have the "Survivor" and "Overlord" sandwiching the picture on the sides instead of stretching out over the picture? You can always put out a call to one of our bluemen, IceCat, who is always creating some amazing sig pics.

Posted by SurvivorOverlord on 01-29-03 at 06:22 PM
Sorry Pepe,

I'll have to see what I can do to get it down to size....sandwiching is probably the way to go...just really liked the way the arch looked

Posted by Dakota on 02-01-03 at 05:47 PM
Zeta Crown: Is that anything? Like Zeta, warrior princess but spelled wrong? Does she have a magic bracelet too - like Wonderwoman?

Pepe, are you really Bill Gates?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-02-03 at 03:48 PM
>Zeta Crown: Is that anything? Like Zeta, warrior princess
>but spelled wrong? Does she have a magic bracelet
>too - like Wonderwoman?

I'm thinking "Zeta" as in Catherine Zeta-Jones and the one you're thinking of is Xena, Warrior Princess.

>Pepe, are you really Bill Gates?

Oh, I wish... his money, that is, not his looks.

If that's in reference to the sig pics -- it's not me, it's the blue men who passed that down before the start of S4 (I think it was) as there were complaints about huge sig pics taking up too much space. Don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by Dakota on 02-02-03 at 08:14 PM
Pepe, I would never shoot you. Challenge you to a duel by slapping you with my glove, maybe, but shoot, never!!!! And my Bill Gates reference was only to your seemingly vast knowledge of this computer mumbo-jumbo. Now I have to try to get my pic down to 60 pixels (never did quite know what a pixel was) -- darn thing's at 80. hmmmph.

As for Zeta - love the husband; hate the commercials - but didn't know she had a crown. (Thus I thought Zeta was a misprint, and the crown belonged to someone with superhuman powers - like Tina had over Colby or Amber had over Sir'rist.) Ah yes, back to Catherine - Probably has a doll named after her who drives a Porsche that some guy named Michael bought her. And to think I grew up with Barbie and Ken, and at the time Barbie had a one room "dream house". Again, I say hmmmmph.

Bring 'em on, Burnitt. We're ready for the next bunch here at SB.

Posted by SteffiGurl on 02-03-03 at 05:13 AM
Zeta may have something to do with a sorority. Like Alpha Beta Gamma Zeta, etc...

"You're right..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-03-03 at 07:18 AM
Seeing all this discussion going on, it got me to wondering just what the hell is a Zeta crown. So I googled it up and found this crown...

And it's apparently part of a frat thing for the Zeta Tau Alphas (Eta Kappa).

So, great, we've got a Jughead coming onto the show. Bash on!

Posted by SteffiGurl on 02-03-03 at 07:50 AM
I suppose we should keep in mind that MB probably denied the castaways the opportunities to take some better luxury items along. Often the castaways are stuck with their third or fourth choice. I couldn't even think of five things that they would even allow me to take that were actually useful. My first choice: Listerine.

Posted by Dakota on 02-03-03 at 04:16 PM
Zeta IS a sorority thang. Shame on us for not reading each and every post on this thread. See above for more information on the Zeta crown. However, had we read the whole thread, we wouldn't have been able to express our opinions in the creative way we did. So it's apparently a wooden crown. Hmmm the jacket and teddy bear are looking good right now.

Steffigurl: While Burnitt does choose what they can take, the choice is from among the things contestants bring with them. I can see bringing a golf club, a book, a journal, a flag, a piece of clothing, deck of cards, picture of loved ones, etc. A wooden crown -- I see kindling.

Posted by ginger on 02-14-03 at 06:39 PM
Actually, we have to give a little credit now that the first episode's done to Shawna and her EDIBLE massage oil - it's basically cooking oil and that can come in very handy for making horrible things actually cook (e.g., tortillas made out of that grain they all have, etc.). May not be as stupid an item as previously thought.
And what's with the flag/tarp exception? I thought after Colby used his flag as a tent those things were disallowed. Obviously the plasticky "believe in yourself" banner will be a great shelter, or cover for wood as suggested last night, etc.