The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"OTCC: Savory Vegetable Tart"
Posted by weltek on 08-28-12 at 10:00 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-29-12 AT 09:44 AM (EST)

Who isn't a little intimidated by working with puff pastry for the first time? I was nervous. I had tackled phyllo dough, but never puff pastry. I heard it could dry out easily during the thaw and prep time. But the first time I made this, it was a breeze! Now, I think I should always have puff pastry in the house, but always forget to buy it.

So go, buy a box. Use the bounty of seasonal veggies right now and have a meatless dinner. A fruit salad or chilled soup would be great with this. In the fall, a warm bowl of soup would be perfect.

And this recipe is perfect for Frodis those who like to substitute!

Savory Vegetable Tart
Serves 4 as a part of a meal. Great to double the base for a larger family and give a few different topping options. Leftovers taste good cold or warmed.

1/2 (17.3 ounce) package Puff Pastry Sheets (Peppridge Farm is a common brand)
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2-3 cups veggies Suggestions that work well-choose any. I keep it to around three veggies to allow individual flavors to come through:

• Mushrooms (portabella are great)
  • Zucchini
  • Fennel (If you like it-I don't care for it!)
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Green peppers
  • Roasted Red peppers
  • Eggplant (It pained me to type that)
  • Broccoli (may need extra roasting time)

1-2 tablespoons pesto sauce (decide how herby you want it)
4 oz. cream cheese
4 ounces goat cheese or feta, crumbled (or sub with more cream cheese)
Salt & pepper

PREPARE THE CRUST
1. Thaw the pastry sheet at room temperature for 40 minutes or until it's easy to handle (see box for thawing instructions). 2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir the egg and water with a fork in a small bowl.
3. Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the sheet into a 13x11-inch rectangle. Place on the prepared sheet. Brush the edges of the rectangle with the egg mixture. Fold over the edges 1/2 inch on all sides, pressing firmly with a fork to form a rim. Prick the pastry thoroughly with a fork. Refrigerate while you prepare the veggies. The egg keeps it from drying out.

PREPARE THE VEGGIES (note: I've also sauteed them with success) 1. Cut veggies into slices that are around bite size (they will shrink a bit the more they cook).
2. Place oil and garlic in a gallon ziploc bag (or large bowl). Toss in your cut up veggies and shake around to coat. Place the veggies in a single layer on a shallow-sided pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake the vegetables 4-5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. NOTE: If using denser veggies like broccoli, you may want to cook those a little longer. Cooked veggies should be at the begining stages of soft. Cool slightly. Drain on paper towel to dry off any excess moisture.

ASSEMBLE AND BAKE
1. Mix the cream cheese and pesto. Spread on the pastry. Arrange the vegetables on top of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the goat or feta cheese (if you decided to include it).
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.

ETA: Read Karchita's time saving version below that worked out well! The crust step is definitely easier!

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •