Hey all! I can't believe I was able to make it here today, what a week! Long story short, I had a virus in my computer the past 2 days and it wasn't working. Got it cleaned up last night!
I have had this recipe since the summer when I signed up and did not realize what a week this was. Today is my mother and son's birthday and I have not done any cooking for the past 2 weeks due to the holidays. So unfortunately I do not have any pictures. I hope to make this next week and add some pictures.
It's a basic casserole recipe that I loved the flavor combinations in this original one. It's warm comfort food for this time of the year. I mostly am interested in all of your tweaks and what combos with exotic flavors you can add! My kids love it as well.
As with everything measurements are just a guideline!
Baked Penne with Sausage, zucchini and Fontina cheese
3 medium zucchini, edges trimmed
1 tbls olive oil
1/2 lb hot Italian sausage(I mixed with hot and sweet), casings removed
1 onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 lb fontina cheese, grated
1/2 lb penne
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Cut zucchini 1 1/2 inch long pieces
3. Heat oil in large skillet over med heat. Add sausage, breaking it up with fork until no longer pink. When cooked transfer to bowl.
4. Add onions to skillet until softened. Add zucchini to onions, season with salt and pepper and saute until almost tender.
5. Return sausage to skillet. Add cream and oregano and bring to a boil.
6. Add half of grated fontina cheese to sauce and stir just until melted.
7. Meanwhile prepare your pasta, drain your pasta and return to pasta pot.
8. Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat. Taste and adjust any seasonings.
9. Transfer to casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 deg. until heated through about 15 min.
Note, I usually double this because 4 servings will not feed us. You can make it a day ahead, it tastes so good after a day of sitting!