The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"OTCC: 10/7/11 - Pammie's Braciole Sammich"
Posted by samboohoo on 10-05-11 at 08:09 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-05-11 AT 08:15 PM (EST)

I got this recipe from Jeff. Jeff got it from Pammie. I don't know Pammie, but I do know Jeff. You should too. He is, after all, the "sandwich king!"

Ingredients:

1 flank steak
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (Italian will work)
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano*
3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Olive oil, as needed
Salt & pepper
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed (or ground) red pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine (or a little more if you want)
2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes

Sandwich Fixings:
6 soft Italian hero rolls, buttered and grilled in a pan
4 oz. shaved Pecorino Romano
2 pounds Burrata*
8 oz. red peppadew peppers, sliced
French Fried onions

Notes:

1. Pecorino Romano: If you look for this in the special cheese section of your market, you will spend more money than necessary. I was about to go for a good ol' fashion can of Kraft when I stumbled upon a container of Pecorino already grated in my regular cheese section. It was on sale, so I grabbed it, knowing I would use any leftover for spaghetti.

2. I used regular parsley from the produce section. 99 cents.

3. 1/4 cup cloves garlic. I think you're supposed to measure it out, then mince it. I didn't really measure mine. I know I used a lot. DH knows I used a lot. He doesn't handle it as well as I do.

4. I used ground red pepper instead of crushed.

5. Red wine. We're not big wine drinkers in our house. I wish I had had one of the little bottles (that come in a 4-pack), but I didn't. I used a bit more than a 1/4 cup - probably 3/4 cup.

6. WTH is Burrata? I simply used fresh mozzarella, again on sale in the regular cheese section.

7. Peppadew peppers. I had these for the first time recently on a salad. I was nervous at first thinking they would be hot. They were not very hot. I didn't use them for this recipe.

8. French Fried onions. If you want the recipe, I will post. I bought a can of the ones I use on the green bean caserole at Thanksgiving, especially since I had a coupon. I ended up not using them for the sandwich, but I'll use them next month for the caserole.

Method

Gently pound the steak to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, Romano, and the 2 tablespoons of garlic onto the meat.

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the meat. Roll the meat with the grain and tie with butcher's twine to secure the roll. (If you don't have butcher's twine, ask the butcher. Mine was more than generous and gave me enough for later down the road.)

(NEED TO INSERT PICTURE)

Sprinkle the outside of the roll with salt and pepper. Heat a Dutch oven over high heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and sear the beef on all sides until golden brown. Remove the meat and set aside.

Turn down the heat to medium and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the onions, the 1/4 cup garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed (or ground) red pepper. Cook about 10 minutes, stiring to avoid burning. Add the tomato paste and cook 3 more minutes. Then deglaze the pan with the wine, scrapiing all of the food from the bottom. Add the crushed tomatoes. Season with salt & pepper. Bring to a simmer and add the mean back to the pan.

(NEED TO INSERT PICTURE)

Simmer over low heat until the meat is tender - about 2 hours. Taste and season again with salt & pepper, if necessary. Remove meat from the pot, cut the twin and slice against the grain into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. Reserve the tomato sauce.

Make a sandwich or not

At this point, you can make a sandwich. I buttered rolls and tossed them in the oven for a few minutes. I added fresh mozzarella and melted it. Then I placed a slice on, added a little sauce and served. Next time I would grill the rolls for sandwiches. Top with the onions & peppadew peppers, if desired. Serve with sauce as a dipping sauce.

(NEED TO INSERT PICTURE)

(NEED TO INSERT PICTURE)

This is also great not in sandwich form. In fact, the next day I ate leftovers, and the sauce was absolutely divine. I even thought about adding cream, butter and vodka to the leftover sauce for a vodka sauce and serving it over pasta.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •