The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
Click here to Search the Forum
Search
Click here to goback to the previous page
Go back
Click here to goto the Lobby
Lobby
Compose your message

Original Message
"RE: OTCC: Butter Tarts, by Snidget"
Posted by AyaK on 06-20-11 at 02:52 AM
URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 36175

Original Message
"OTCC – Butter Tarts"
Posted by Snidget on 11-20-10 at 01:36 PM
Sorry I don't have pictures, yet, I'll try to get some up soon, between new employment and a wrenched shoulder I'm not doing much in the kitchen these days.
These are something my Mom made every holiday season, so I thought I'd share.

Warning, most people who have had them find them a tad addictive.

Butter Tarts

Pie Crust (use any pie crust recipe that makes enough for a 2 crust pie you like, or 1 pkg Pillsbury Ready Crust, if you don't want to mess with pie dough some of the family has made these using those filo dough pre-made frozen tart cup things and they work, but I prefer a pie dough)

1/4 cup butter (most printed recipes will say "or margarine" but I never used it so I don't know if I can recommend it)
1 slightly beaten egg
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried currants (or you can use raisins or other small dried fruit, can probably substitute chopped nuts if you don't like any of the small dried fruits)
1/4 cup lemon juice.

Melt butter, cool.
Mix with egg, sugar, dried fruit, lemon juice

At this point the filling will look vaguely like snot (do not panic). You may or may not want your kids to see this until they have eaten a finished tart depending on their temperament. Even thought it looks strange at this point I promise it really does bake up to something tasty.

Roll out the pie dough to 1/8th inch thick. When I use the boxed crusts I roll them out a bit to make the dough a bit thinner, you do want it a bit thinner for the tarts than you would for a full size pie.

Cut the pie dough into 3 inch rounds (or what will fit your muffin tins. I usually use a glass that gives me the right size for the muffin tin.

Place the dough rounds in muffin tins (3 inch round is good for a regular sized muffin pan) but can make them in mini muffin pans with smaller rounds of pastry, just watch the cooking time as they may get done a bit faster.

Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling per tart (more if using bigger muffin tins, less if doing mini muffin tins)

Bake at 400° F for 15-18 minutes. Crust should be golden, filling will set up, cool slightly in the pans and then remove to a cooling rack. Makes 2 dozen.

My Mom never added crushed saltine crackers to the filling, but some of the published recipes for these do use 1/4 cup of saltines crushed up in the filling. I've never tried it, but I'll put the option up if anyone wants to try that.

Table of contents
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,qwertypie, 02:12 AM, 11-21-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Snidget, 08:25 AM, 11-21-10
O... M... G...,IceCat, 02:20 AM, 11-21-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Tummy, 07:31 PM, 11-21-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,qwertypie, 10:38 AM, 11-25-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,qwertypie, 10:00 PM, 11-25-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,qwertypie, 02:40 AM, 11-26-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Snidget, 08:37 AM, 11-26-10
What Qwerty learned from this recipe,qwertypie, 06:30 PM, 11-26-10
RE: What Qwerty learned from this recipe,Snidget, 07:09 PM, 11-26-10
Pictures,Snidget, 10:52 AM, 11-26-10
oooooh!,foonermints, 07:45 PM, 11-26-10
Just sayin,IceCat, 06:16 AM, 11-27-10
*looks down*,foonermints, 04:58 PM, 11-28-10
Yumilicious!,Karchita, 02:35 AM, 11-27-10
RE: Yumilicious!,Snidget, 08:36 AM, 11-27-10
RE: Yumilicious!,Karchita, 04:07 PM, 11-27-10
I Like Tarts,foonermints, 09:17 PM, 11-29-10
ALERT ,Karchita, 02:58 PM, 12-03-10
I have been spreading the evil gospel of the butter tarts,Snidget, 08:46 PM, 11-29-10
Hmmm...,moonbaby, 09:31 PM, 11-29-10
RE: Hmmm...,foonermints, 10:29 PM, 11-29-10
Giant Butter Tarts,IceCat, 02:34 AM, 11-30-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,thndrkttn, 09:23 AM, 11-30-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Snidget, 09:32 AM, 11-30-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Tummy, 10:36 AM, 11-30-10
Tried last night,weltek, 12:20 PM, 12-03-10
LOVE!!!!!!!,thndrkttn, 01:33 PM, 12-04-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Tummy, 05:30 PM, 12-15-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,Snidget, 07:23 PM, 12-15-10
Pictures!,thndrkttn, 12:43 PM, 12-26-10
RE: Pictures!,Tummy, 03:18 PM, 12-27-10
RE: Pictures!,arkiegrl, 04:20 PM, 12-27-10
RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts,greenmonstah, 04:30 PM, 12-27-10

"RE: OTCC – Butter Tarts"
Posted by qwertypie on 11-21-10 at 02:12 AM
Saltines in a butter tart? All righty, then.
I've never made butter tarts before, so I am looking forward to them, but I think I will skip the saltines.

Posted by Snidget on 11-21-10 at 08:25 AM
I never put them in, but the recipe I use happens to use them.
Otherwise it tastes just like the tarts Mom used to make. I don't think she ever had the recipe written down anywhere so I had to find one.

"O... M... G..."
Posted by IceCat on 11-21-10 at 02:20 AM

I am sooooo ready to dive into some Christmas baked goods.
Number one fave:

Buttertarts with raisins and chopped pecans/walnuts.

Posted by Tummy on 11-21-10 at 07:31 PM
Snidget - I've never made anything like these so it should be interesting. I'm hoping for some pics so I can make sure they at least look like they're suppose to.
Posted by qwertypie on 11-25-10 at 10:38 AM
I'll try these with my girls this afternoon.
Posted by qwertypie on 11-25-10 at 10:00 PM
Well, presentation definitely needs work, but the house smells amazing. I am just waiting for them to cool before I try them.

(And if I could follow directions, I am sure they would have looked great too. I will tell you all my missteps soon.)

Posted by qwertypie on 11-26-10 at 02:40 AM
Holy Criminy -- those were good. Mr. Qwerty had 3, Mama Qwerty had 2, I had 2 and there is 1 left (out of a dozen)
I think I have to sleep off my diabetic coma before I write more.

Thanks for the recipe, it is definitely a keeper.
Posted by Snidget on 11-26-10 at 08:37 AM

my brother had that issue the first time he made them, but he was trying to make them to take to a party, after only one tart survived the "taste them to make sure that batch was OK" per batch he decided to get a recipe for something else.

"What Qwerty learned from this recipe"
Posted by qwertypie on 11-26-10 at 06:30 PM
First, a tablespoon means a tablespoon (15 mL), not a couple of heaping soup spoons full. I made the mistake of overfilling the tarts (I had filling for 12 not 24 -- oops). It still tasted great, but the butter was oozing out the bottom of the bottom of the tart shell.
Second, I didn't make the tart shells part big enough to hold the increased volume of "snot with frog eggs" (DDs description )
But I think any penality for presentation would definitely be made up for by taste bonus marks.
I used the Pilsbury pie dough, currants and unsalted butter. MMMMMMM. Next time to add to the pancreas/liver carnage, I will serve it with vanilla icecream. YUMMMMMM!
The surprising thing to me was that Mr. Qwerty scarfed down 3 (he is not a big dessert person, especially if the dessert is so luxurious). He was very sad I only made 12.

"RE: What Qwerty learned from this recipe"
Posted by Snidget on 11-26-10 at 07:09 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-26-10 AT 07:10 PM (EST)
As I said they can be just a wee bit addictive.

Glad they got the Mr. Qwerty Seal of Approval™

"Pictures"
Posted by Snidget on 11-26-10 at 10:52 AM
Ingredients

Pie crust out of box

Rolled out thinner

Rounds cut and placed in muffin tins

Filling without fruit (snot 1)

Filling with currants (snot 2)

Filling added to crusts

Finished tarts

"oooooh!"
Posted by foonermints on 11-26-10 at 07:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-26-10 AT 08:00 PM (EST)
"snot one" and "snot two" really got me to want to make this!

forbidden fudgikle
*reminds self that Snidget is not in advertising*
eta:

"Just sayin"
Posted by IceCat on 11-27-10 at 06:16 AM

... if one were to use gooseberries and currents in these tarts, one would have red and green chunky bits in their snot.
"*looks down*"
Posted by foonermints on 11-28-10 at 04:58 PM
"Yumilicious!"
X Crosses Icecat off "Advetising Personnel" list also.

"Yumilicious!"
Posted by Karchita on 11-27-10 at 02:35 AM
These tarts intrigued me. I had never heard of them, but they seemed like sweet quiches and clearly would be something I would like. However, I couldn’t quite see how to work the calories into the diet, especially with all the Thanksgiving feasting and treats this week. So when I had a bit of leftover pie crust from the apple tart I made for T-day, I thought I would do just a sampler version to try them out.
I had enough dough for three tart shells, so I attempted to reduce the filling to Ό of the amount, which means I did a bit of guestimating. I figured it was a forgiving recipe, like a quiche, and it was.

I used currants, some walnuts and tossed in a bit of candied orange peel, which I had strained out of some marmalade for the glaze on the apple tart. I also added just a pinch of salt and cardamom. I accidentally doubled the amount of sugar. Oops. I ended up with plenty of filling, so I filled the shells about Ύ full. They puffed up while baking and then sunk to just below the lip of crust and looked perfect. I wish I had a picture, but they were gone way too quickly.

They tasted fantabulous! (Except they were a bit too sweet, but that was my fault.) The orange peel was wonderful, as were the nuts. Mr. Karchita usually doesn’t go for sweets, but he liked these – a lot. Two thumbs up! Thank you, Snidget. This recipe was a winner for sure.

I will most definitely be making these again and am thinking about how it would work in a large, single tart pan. Any thoughts on that?

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Yumilicious!"
Posted by Snidget on 11-27-10 at 08:36 AM
I've never made a full size tart, but googled around and found this with a similar filling (even has the orange zest in it) and has pears on top.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/poached-pear-and-brown-butter-tart

They did add a bit of flour to the filling for this (may be like the one recipe I modified had crushed saltines) so you might need to play around with that. Now this one has less butter (and they browned it rather than just melted it) so that may be why it needed some flour, but I think you could work it out. I like the idea with a larger tart of doing a larger fruit sliced up, but I think that could go either way.

"RE: Yumilicious!"
Posted by Karchita on 11-27-10 at 04:07 PM
That's an interesting recipe. Thanks! I will play around with it.
The one-big-tart idea appeals to me because in is easier and I am lazy, that's no secret, and because with a lower crust to filling ratio, the fat is reduced. Pie crust is loaded with fat and calories. OTOH, people love to get individual servings and the little tarts are adorable.

Bouquet by c2p

"I Like Tarts"
Posted by foonermints on 11-29-10 at 09:17 PM
One Big Tart? Maybe not so much. But little tarts can be adorable. Yumilicious? Depends on the tart.

..and more

" ALERT "
Posted by Karchita on 12-03-10 at 02:58 PM
Comedian in the kitchen! Take cover!

Bouquet by c2p

"I have been spreading the evil gospel of the butter tarts"
Posted by Snidget on 11-29-10 at 08:46 PM
Took some to work,
Gave out the recipe to a bunch of people.

"Hmmm..."
Posted by moonbaby on 11-29-10 at 09:31 PM
There are a couple of pie crusts I didn't use last week...
Hmmmm...

"RE: Hmmm..."
Posted by foonermints on 11-29-10 at 10:29 PM
If you have some red lipstick, you are all set.
"Giant Butter Tarts"
Posted by IceCat on 11-30-10 at 02:34 AM

... of the Gods!
Posted by thndrkttn on 11-30-10 at 09:23 AM
Now that things have calmed down a bit, I am going to take a shot at these this weekend. I have everything to make them and I have never had a butter tart before!
Would pecans work? How about apricots? Cranberries? I may seperate the snot out into four amounts and add different things to each group.

Posted by Snidget on 11-30-10 at 09:32 AM
I did a set with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts and that turned out good.
For larger dried fruit I might cut it up into smaller pieces but one of the ladies at work said there was a tart she had that was French-Canadian that had an apricot on top and a similar filling, so I think it would work.

I think pecans would work as the filling is a bit like pecan pie filling so I think that would work and the walnuts turned out good.

Posted by Tummy on 11-30-10 at 10:36 AM
I don't think this town has ever heard of currants. So I bought a bag of dried mixed berries and cherries. I plan on chopping a little.
I'm making CT's popovers and mushroom soup from the 9 hour burgundy mushrooms I made for Thanksgiving. These should be great as dessert.

"Tried last night"
Posted by weltek on 12-03-10 at 12:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-10 AT 11:17 AM (EST)
Made these last night using scraps of items in the cupboard.

1. No dried fruit, so used chocolate chips and pecans. Used OJ instead of lemon juice as I thought the flavor or orange would go better with chocolate.

2. Tried one mini-muffin pan without the saltines, one with. Liked the one with saltines better-made them interesting and a little salty. Ones without saltines tasted a lot like mini-pecan pies with chocolate chips-which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4. Mini muffin versions took about 13-14 min in my oven, as an FYI for others. I liked the size for us. Others would've been too big for a "snack," IMHO, but good for a formal dessert.

I'll try these with dried fruit soon. Great to take to parties.

Without saltines, halved pecans:

With saltines, chopped pecans:

-A Tribetastic Creation

"LOVE!!!!!!!"
Posted by thndrkttn on 12-04-10 at 01:33 PM
I have pics and will post them tomorrow. These are going to become a staple when we have company. Wonderful, versatile and a great size. I made two batches, one with lemon and one with orange and the crackers. I used craisens and chocolate, regular raisns, golden raisins, a couple with coconut, almonds and pecans. Will post more tomorrow with pics. Thank you! These were fun!
Posted by Tummy on 12-15-10 at 05:30 PM
I. Am eating a hot butter tart right out of the oven. OMGoodness! These (we'll not these, I expect these will be gone in about 2.7 hours) will be traveling to the MIL house Christmas Eve!
Didn't have currants, so I used a bag of dried berries/cherries. Very, very good.

Thanks Snidget.

Posted by Snidget on 12-15-10 at 07:23 PM
2.7 hours, you are a model of restraint!!!

"Pictures!"
Posted by thndrkttn on 12-26-10 at 12:43 PM
I finally got around to uploading the pics. Snidget, we really enjoyed these. In fact, I have the stuff out to make a double batch this afternoon. I would highly recommend the crushed crackers. It gave them a nice flavor, texture and I thought they looked better.
Ingredients: (I used a ton of different things)

Tarts ready for the oven:

Tarts done:

Ready to eat!

"RE: Pictures!"
Posted by Tummy on 12-27-10 at 03:18 PM
I have missed your pretty, pretty pics!

"RE: Pictures!"
Posted by arkiegrl on 12-27-10 at 04:20 PM
Your plated pic is amazing! Seriously, you should really be working for a food magazine.

Posted by greenmonstah on 12-27-10 at 04:30 PM
Oh. I thought this might have something to do with Breezy. Carry on then.

• HTML Tags Enabled - use [] instead of <>. Need help? Check HTML Reference
  • Image Links Enabled - just type the URL (e.g., http://www.dcscripts.com/image.gif)
  • Emotion Icons Emotion icon short cuts
  • Your Message
    Name*:
    Subject*:
    Message*:

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
    about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •